The Wii U is done

Status
Not open for further replies.
You not getting it and it not making sense are two different things.

In other words, it makes no sense and you got nothing to backup your statements.

There are plenty of software only companies that keep quality high.

There are plenty of companies that develop for different hardware and they don't need to change the "framework" (still not sure what you mean there) for different hardware. Aside from technical differences, multiplatform games play the same. Hardware is irrelevant.

There is absolutely nothing inherent to the Nintendo hardware design that would prevent SMB3D World from running on a different piece of hardware.

In other words, it makes no sense and you got nothing to backup your statements.

There are plenty of software only companies that keep quality high.

There are plenty of companies that develop for different hardware and they don't need to change the "framework" (still not sure what you mean there) for different hardware. Aside from technical differences, multiplatform games play the same. Hardware is irrelevant.

There is absolutely nothing inherent to the Nintendo hardware design that would prevent SMB3D World from running on a different piece of hardware.

It simply means I do no wish to discuss things you do not understand. If you can't see how having control over hardware and software changes and defines things I'm not going to try and educate you.

It simply means I do no wish to discuss things you do not understand. If you can't see how having control over hardware and software changes and defines things I'm not going to try and educate you.

So yea, nothing... run along :rolleyes:

keep-calm-and-tell-em-steve-dave.png

I can emulate both those games on my janky ass PC with Dolphin @ 1080p or higher and 4x AA/AF. LMAO! Was doing that over a couple years ago, because I remember trying Punch-Out!! on it. That was 2010 release. Yes dooooo have fun playing with 480p janky stock graphics in TLS and Xenoblade Chronicles on your Wii U. :D

I don't like emulation....I never have. I've been gaming at home on consoles since 1981. I've spent hundreds of hours pumping coins into arcade cabinets. I've been gaming on home computers since 1985 when I bought the Commodore VIC20 that I still own. Console games are meant to be played in a comfortable chair in front of television. Computers games are played sitting a computer desk in front of a monitor. That's how I've always done it and always will. Emulation does not feel right to me.

Resolution and graphics do not trump good gameplay. Granted I built my PC so that I could play about any PC game available with all the dials turned up pretty high, but I think there is a simple beauty in a fun SNES game on a CRT. I have a 27" Sony WEGA TV dedicated strictly to legacy gaming.

When you go under 10 million...u die a little like Sega in the gaming console universe is "what". Sega died with the Sega CD/32X and had trouble with the Saturn. They died and survived a couple times, but it catches up with you as a gaming console manufacturer. 20 million Wii U sales in 5 years will be a feat for the Wii U, and it is asking too much. I wish it were Microsoft in this situation, but Nintendo had the option to make the most high tech gaming console, and choose cheap and janky with a tablet. Which I can't figure out why it's not doing well selling, especially with supporters like yourself and more remakes than any console I've heard of....wait....a.....minute......!!!! Atari did this with the 5200 and 7800 look how that turned out? Remaking games over and over, and releasing terrible games like Wii Party U/Wii Sports Club/E.T on Atari.

The Atari THE BAD: Because Atari got so thoroughly squashed by Nintendo there's no good games from all the famous 3rd party developers like Konami, Capcom, etc. This is partly due to Nintendo's draconian licensing agreements which forbade 3rd parties from releasing games for other systems. It is probably also partly due to 3rd parties getting tired of spending all this money to make an Atari game and then getting shafted when the bottom of the market falls out. You know I've got no sympathy for Atari because they were the leaders in the home console business, thus they could have easily stopped the crash in 84 by putting out good games and good systems. But they didn't, they put out garbage.

Doesn't this sound familiar?

History does repeat itself indeed, Evolution sucks sometimes too. Now you might not think so but what Nintendo did back in the 80's to the Atari, Sony has been doing since it launched the PS1, and is now doing to your Nintendo brand now that Miyamoto is retiring soon. There's little to no steam left in your Ninty brand, and in a earily similar fashion to when Sega lost its steam when an important member was not there any longer for them.

The NES made its name off of making the Atari look bad, SNES then tried to make the Genesis look bad, and they succeeded. Then came along the Playstation, and put them both in their new evolved situation. Care to see what has happened in that time yet? You can choose to be blind to gaming history, but please try to think about these topics.

I'm hardly blind to the industry history. I lived it as it was happening and I've read a number of books about it since. If you want to make a "history repeats itself" argument, you would do well to actually know your history.

Sorry, man, but I run into your type all the time: graphics-whore, fanboy that hates Nintendo and wants them to fail. I just don't get it.

I'm not going to lie, seeing Mario, Zelda and other titles on my PS4 would bring a big ass smile to my face.

Just saying :D

My desire to keep Nintendo software on Nintendo hardware is probably irrational. As I said in my (probably useless) response to Teletranny, I've been an avid gamer for over 30 years so I lean towards sentimentality regarding such things. I get as excited about a pristine NES with its original box as I do any modern console. I just love that old shit, I love Nintendo's legacy, and playing Zelda on a PS4 would be weird. ;)

Sorry, man, but I run into your type all the time: graphics-whore, fanboy that hates Nintendo and wants them to fail. I just don't get it.

I'd be a crappy graphics whore like you, but I grew up in an era where Nintendo was THE graphics whore console if you compare them to Atari 7800/Sega Genesis.

You think you know history but you don't, you make it up as you go along. You think I'm a fanboy, but you're wrong. Haha keep trying. I own a Wii and PS3. I owned a SNES/Genesis/SegaCD/TG16 back in the day. Before that a 7800 and a NES. The PS1 changed everything, the PS4 will continue the tradition. Nintendo has gone back to its N64/Gamecube days with half the 3rd party support it used to have now for the Wii U, and is losing more 3rd party dev's by the quarter. Get real.

I'd be a crappy graphics whore like you, but I grew up in an era where Nintendo was THE graphics whore console if you compare them to Atari 7800/Sega Genesis.

You think you know history but you don't, you make it up as you go along. You think I'm a fanboy, but you're wrong. Haha keep trying. I own a Wii and PS3. I owned a SNES/Genesis/SegaCD/TG16 back in the day. Before that a 7800 and a NES. The PS1 changed everything, the PS4 will continue the tradition. Nintendo has gone back to its N64/Gamecube days with half the 3rd party support it used to have now for the Wii U, and is losing more 3rd party dev's by the quarter. Get real.

None of that bullshit negates what I see every time a Wii U discussion comes up... for the most part, those who have a Wii U love it, and those who don't, don't have one.

I was the same as you, but I personally went onto Craigslist and found one on the cheap and now i'm loving it. Nintendo has the games I want to play and apparently always have. It certainly says something when you can play a Super Mario game in 2013 and it still feel fresh and fun. I've been gaming on the PC for over 20 years and I always turned away from Nintendo's consoles (aside from the NES and the N64) thinking they've lost their way and only cater to gimmicks and children/casual players but it's simply not the case if you give the system a legitimate try. I have had more unique gameplay experiences on the Wii U then I have any other platform within the last couple years and that's no exaggeration. Nintendo definitely has something going with the Wii U. I don't have a explanation for the lack of sales (other than the amount of games), but what it does have I like and is very capable.

I like it and that's all that matters. I just hope with the release of more games, the Wii U install-base will increase and we'll have more 3rd party developers jumping on-board.

I've been around just as long starting with intellivision. From my point of view Nintendo is more and more becoming the last console left. I'd say starting with the dreamcast, having a windows OS, the console is more and more a small weak PC's. As they become more and more like a PC the more and more people can just replace them with a PC.

Sure it may never happen. But if the PC does raise to new popularity (most actively played game is LOL which is PC only) it will cut into the Xbox1 and Sony PS4's sales (or what ever there next console is) far harder then Nintendos.

...though this is more about the longevity of MS, Sony, and Nintendo and how well their philosophies will carry them into the future then it is about Wii-U specifically. So a bit off topic which is the Wii-u being done. But the Wii-U is an extension of Nintendo's philosophy of making console games and not weak PC games like COD.

lolwut?

Nintendo has gone back to its N64/Gamecube days with half the 3rd party support it used to have now for the Wii U, and is losing more 3rd party dev's by the quarter. Get real.

Doesn't matter. How many consoles do we need to play the same first-person shooter? It's not like YOU would buy a Wii U to play Call of Shooty 14 anyway because the Wii U ain't got enough megahertz and 1080p's for you. Want to play SMB3DW? You have one option. That's reality.

Well..I finally did it..Ive been completely addicted to MH3U on the 3DS and Ive been looking for a system my wife and I could play together so I finally went out and bought a mario/luigi deluxe edition bundle as well as MH3U for the Wii U.

From what I can gather. I'll need to pick up 2 wii mote +'s in order to utilize 2 player functionality?

Well..I finally did it..Ive been completely addicted to MH3U on the 3DS and Ive been looking for a system my wife and I could play together so I finally went out and bought a mario/luigi deluxe edition bundle as well as MH3U for the Wii U.

From what I can gather. I'll need to pick up 2 wii mote +'s in order to utilize 2 player functionality?

Well, at least one wii mote. You can use the gamepad, and your wife can use the wiimote. That's what my wife and I do.

Nice! Welcome to the club. :D

I have never tried any of the MH games. I always imagined them to be sort of like fighting raid bosses in WoW and getting loot afterwards.

That would likely kills the franchises. They'd all likely turn into God Of War Clones like Castlevaina turned into.

The Castlevaina of my youth has been utterly decimated by modern graphics. If you want high graphics learn was a PC does and play FPS and Western style RPG's. A strong focus on gameplay needs to be the highest priority in the console world...which I feel Nintendo understands and other companies don't.

Yeah, going software only has made Sega quite the gaming powerhouse.... not. I just feel that the same would happen with Nintendo if they cross-licensed their titles and Zelda, Mario, Kirby, etc. would fade away...

My biggest fear is that Nintendo has completely shot themselves in the foot. Developers are a fickle lot. I'm not sure they will be able to draw them back in when/if they come out with a new console in the future.

It's sad because I much prefer the Wiimote/nunchuck controllers over the standard gamepads. Even after testing it in the store, I like the "tablet" controller better. I guess I just really hate the Playstation/XBOX controllers. Any game consoles that use controllers other than the standard "gamepad" layout are really nice IMO. Maybe when the Kinect evolves to being able to play all games just using hand and body motions, I'll look at them, but as long as gameplay focuses on a sedentary (sit the couch for hours) gameplay... not really interested...

Those comparisons can't really be made. SEGA lost touch a long time before they went third party. They had the games people played in the arcade and tbh when the arcades died so did SEGA. They had a very hard time making games that had deep gameplay. The only games that I remember being deep was Virtual Fighter and Panzer Dragoon Saga which iirc was a 2nd party title.

They have the Rome series but they bought that franchise. They were completely broke and their games were well past their time. I remember watching something on youtube awhile ago talking about the history and how they never made good transitions. They had their Wii moment with the Genesis and never came back. I'm not making a comparison their I'm just saying they failed to change with the market. The SEGA CD should have been their slap in the face to never try those things.

I picked up a Wii U on Xmas eve when our Wii decided it didn't want to read discs anymore and my addiction to the U over this last week is probably only rivaled by my original nes which sits next to it. I picked up a Zelda bundle but I can't stop playing NES Remix atm. I have a ps3/ps4/vita as well as a 3ds which gets played more than the vita. I was hesitant about getting a Wii U but it's been a great experience thus far. Miiverse is addicting as well and I plan on picking up SMB & MH3.

Last edited:
3DS sales are nuts. Also somewhat surprised how many people are still buying the Wii but it's not a bad value at $99.

A lot of places had the 3DS on sale for $150 prior to Christmas. That's just a great price so I'm not shocked to see them flying off the shelves.

Well, at least one wii mote. You can use the gamepad, and your wife can use the wiimote. That's what my wife and I do.

Nice! Welcome to the club. :D

I have never tried any of the MH games. I always imagined them to be sort of like fighting raid bosses in WoW and getting loot afterwards.

Thanks!

I found a wiimote plus + nunchuk refurb on nintendo site for $20 + s&h so I went ahead and picked those up. Wii U just shipped today, excited as hell to get it.

A lot of places had the 3DS on sale for $150 prior to Christmas. That's just a great price so I'm not shocked to see them flying off the shelves.

Indeed. I got my 3DS XL Zelda Bundle for $150. My son already had a 3DS, so now I'm looking for some good multiplayer games for us to play. So far all we got is Mario Kart 7 and Sonic Lost worlds. I think I'll pick up Mario Party Island Tour at some point for us to play and I'd like to get him into Pokemon X/Y, but he doesn't seem to be into it :( (he's 10 right now).

Indeed. I got my 3DS XL Zelda Bundle for $150. My son already had a 3DS, so now I'm looking for some good multiplayer games for us to play. So far all we got is Mario Kart 7 and Sonic Lost worlds. I think I'll pick up Mario Party Island Tour at some point for us to play and I'd like to get him into Pokemon X/Y, but he doesn't seem to be into it :( (he's 10 right now).

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate has local co-op. Its one hell of a fun game to play imo. Its not super easy but not super hard either. I've been severely addicted to it over the past week.

Why even show the number....688 sales for Xbox1 in Japan.

Wii-U had a crazy strong sales in Japan.

It would seem the wii-u is a complete failure 3DO and Jaguar style.

I'm deployed overseas away from the family, so I got nothing but time and school work to deal with.

Wait scratch that, it's New Years, South Korea with their Soju, and the legal drinking limit is still 21 for Americans when 75% of the soldiers are under that...... brb

yeah.. never quite understood that.... Your old enough, wise enough, smart enough to live and die for your country, but your not that for putting a liquid to your mouth.

worldwide_totals.png

Wii U launched November 18, 2012

PS4 launched November 15, 2013

Today is January 1, 2014

Happy New Year!

worldwide_totals.png

Wii U launched November 18, 2012

PS4 launched November 15, 2013

Today is January 1, 2014

Happy New Year!

I'm not sure what your point is. No one is arguing that the PS4 isn't doing well. Which is awesome because I love the Playstation as much as I love Nintendo's consoles. For my money, the Wii U has far better game availability (for now, at least).

I think the Bayonetta 2 dev's jumped the gun by going with the Nintendo Wii U. Because XBOX1+PS4 already has the numbers in their favor 1.5 months into this, it's impressive. Then again they sound like 2 cheap companys who wanted the cheapest deals, and they got what they wanted to make a game cheaply. Yeah I'm a bit sour about it as a Bayonetta owner, but they'll learn their lesson soon enough for going that route, you Wii U gamers should buy it ;) http://youtu.be/ZAqcOODh-z8?t=10m28s Best title for that console imho. I wonder if Ninty will try and censor that game in any form?

I think there is also something to be said for how well your last system was doing for it's last year when you launch your newer console. With titles like GTA5, TLoU+LB DLC, Ni No Kuni, LR:FFXIII, Minecraft, GT6, Tales of Symphonia Chronicles, South Park: The Stick of Truth, Final Fantasy X / X-2 HD Remaster, The Walking Dead Season 2, BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma, Watchdogs, Persona 5, Dark Souls 2, Kingdom Hearts HD, and every multi platform sports game in dev has I believe been released for the PS3. Plus plenty of other titles I didn't mention.

The PS3 went out clearly the strongest, and still has new titles for 2014 like no other console of its generation. The Wii went out with a fizzle, and XBOX360 isn't as impressive when it comes to the last year like the PS3 has been. That's just how I see it, that strength impacted the PS4's steller launch and the fizzle of the Wii led to the fizzle sized sales of the Wii U.

I think the Bayonetta 2 dev's jumped the gun by going with the Nintendo Wii U. Because XBOX1+PS4 already has the numbers in their favor 1.5 months into this, it's impressive. Then again they sound like 2 cheap companys who wanted the cheapest deals, and they got what they wanted to make a game cheaply. Yeah I'm a bit sour about it as a Bayonetta owner, but they'll learn their lesson soon enough for going that route, you Wii U gamers should buy it ;) http://youtu.be/ZAqcOODh-z8?t=10m28s Best title for that console imho. I wonder if Ninty will try and censor that game in any form?

I think there is also something to be said for how well your last system was doing for it's last year when you launch your newer console. With titles like GTA5, TLoU+LB DLC, Ni No Kuni, LR:FFXIII, Minecraft, GT6, Tales of Symphonia Chronicles, South Park: The Stick of Truth, Final Fantasy X / X-2 HD Remaster, The Walking Dead Season 2, BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma, Watchdogs, Persona 5, Dark Souls 2, Kingdom Hearts HD, and every multi platform sports game in dev has I believe been released for the PS3. Plus plenty of other titles I didn't mention.

The PS3 went out clearly the strongest, and still has new titles for 2014 like no other console of its generation. The Wii went out with a fizzle, and XBOX360 isn't as impressive when it comes to the last year like the PS3 has been. That's just how I see it, that strength impacted the PS4's steller launch and the fizzle of the Wii led to the fizzle sized sales of the Wii U.

you gotta be kidding..... now that the next gen has launched, Wii U sales have picked up... People were waiting to see what MS and Sony had and now that they know, the Wii U has a pretty strong showing.... and actually has more sales than the Xbone during the week of Christmas... (imagine that.. could it be MS craped on their own plate with draconian DRM at the start?)

You also overlook the fact that the Wii has reached market saturation and the Wii U is backwards compatible so if people want the best of both worlds, they are going to get a Wii U over a Wii. It definitely becomes a no-brainer once you take the bundle deals into account.

And finally, the Wii went out the strongest with a total of 100 million sold and still being sold ($99 for the gimped version and $129 for the less gimped version) they managed to sell 25% more Wii than Sony managed to sell PS3..... (80M for PS vs 100M for Wii) Don't even get me started on MS sales numbers because one has to ask how many of those sales are replacement consoles for ones that actually broke ?

I bought 1 Wii 1 PS3 and 2 360's and I know I am not the only one that has to buy the MS console twice... I will never buy one of their consoles again....

Lot of noise on NeoGAF that Devil's Third is also going to be an Wii U exclusive. I love it. Nintendo needs to get an exclusive, quality RPG to market and that will really help move consoles as well. Not sure what Mistwalker is working on right now.

There is still hope that the Wii U can achieve respectable sales. The success of the PS4 or any other console doesn't matter as much as Nintendo getting some must-play exclusives to market.

Lot of noise on NeoGAF that Devil's Third is also going to be an Wii U exclusive. I love it. Nintendo needs to get an exclusive, quality RPG to market and that will really help move consoles as well. Not sure what Mistwalker is working on right now.

There is still hope that the Wii U can achieve respectable sales. The success of the PS4 or any other console doesn't matter as much as Nintendo getting some must-play exclusives to market.

yeah Nintendo could stand to do a little more marketing.... I would love to see a RPG on the system that is GOOD...

you gotta be kidding..... now that the next gen has launched, Wii U sales have picked up... People were waiting to see what MS and Sony had and now that they know, the Wii U has a pretty strong showing.... and actually has more sales than the Xbone during the week of Christmas... (imagine that.. could it be MS craped on their own plate with draconian DRM at the start?)

You also overlook the fact that the Wii has reached market saturation and the Wii U is backwards compatible so if people want the best of both worlds, they are going to get a Wii U over a Wii. It definitely becomes a no-brainer once you take the bundle deals into account.

And finally, the Wii went out the strongest with a total of 100 million sold and still being sold ($99 for the gimped version and $129 for the less gimped version) they managed to sell 25% more Wii than Sony managed to sell PS3..... (80M for PS vs 100M for Wii) Don't even get me started on MS sales numbers because one has to ask how many of those sales are replacement consoles for ones that actually broke ?

I bought 1 Wii 1 PS3 and 2 360's and I know I am not the only one that has to buy the MS console twice... I will never buy one of their consoles again....

I personally bought and sold four 360s, just thinking I wanted to get into Halo, Gears of War, and Last Odyssey. I would play for a few hours, never get back to it, and ultimately returned or sold the consoles. I'm with you...will never buy another MS console UNLESS they release a must-play JRPG or TLoU-caliber exclusive.

The PS4 is a tough sell for me also given the backlog of PS3 games I have yet to finish, it's lack of must-play games at the moment, and it's inferior media features.

Will be firing up the Wii U here shortly for some Wind Waker HD. Love this console.

yeah Nintendo could stand to do a little more marketing.... I would love to see a RPG on the system that is GOOD...

Yeah, their marketing is weak. Bad for the Wii U, bad for Pikmin 3, bad for Wonderful 101. I know they did their big E3 nation-wide thing but the people I met at the one here in Ohio were already hardcore Nintendo fans. And I saw a lot of curious people asking what was going on. We should have ushered those folks immediately to the front of the line and put a controller in their hand for some SMB3DW. :p

Wii U has been on all day. Played Wind Waker HD most of the afternoon. Started season 4 of Breaking Bad on Netflix and now I'm getting ready to crash so I can go back to work tomorrow. Wife just fired up Mario. Might have to buy another one. :)

Why don't they bring WoW exclusively to the WiiU? They have the only controller that can pull (Action bars on the screen) it off and I think WoW still has enough clout to move at least 1m extra systems. If it does well they could be the exclusive Titan console as well. :D

Why don't they bring WoW exclusively to the WiiU? They have the only controller that can pull (Action bars on the screen) it off and I think WoW still has enough clout to move at least 1m extra systems. If it does well they could be the exclusive Titan console as well. :D

I don't even want to think about that because I'm so burned out on WoW. I still don't know how it would play with a controller, even the Wii U gamepad.

I will say that gamepad integration with Wind Waker is incredible. Having the map there with just a downward glance as you're moving through dungeons is so convenient. Same with inventory management. I think it makes for more comfortable gameplay. Really well conceived and implemented by Nintendo. I honestly believe if more gamers, especially those who are strongly anti-Nintendo, could get a taste of what the gamepad offers, they would want it in every game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back