The WC Thread: You got questions, we got answers!

Well I ordered the Apex Ultra kit with the VGA block and chipset block. I got it all for 259 at jabtech, so I figured I saved a bit.

Should I run the chipset block that comes with the Apex kit?

My chipset runs at 46C with a 24C ambient, and I cut the fan off at 4500RPMs because it's really annoying. Am I going to see a loss in performance by running this little block? I want to run it to cut out the noise, but I will still run the fan if it's going to hurt my 7800GTs temps.

Thanks in advance, you guys are great.

ok well, this setup is a month off. so, im not even close to completing it, but iv got liquid cooling fever. I want to know the answer to this now.

I need, a nice, big, quiet, submersable pump, that will fit in my resivoir. you guys tell me how much head/GPH, I'm no expert. I've got a ton of space, Im going to build a custom Res w/ some plastic. its going to fit in the 2 upper 3.5" drive bays, + the lower 5" bay of an Antec P180B, that provides a total of 15.7cm (6 3/16") X 12cm (4 11/16") X 16 cm (6 1/4") for the resivoir and the pump it contains. Again, the pump needs to be submersable, space isnt a huge factor but I dont want something thats gonna take up my whole res. My theory is w/ more water to heat the less quickly it will heat up. Quiet, would be nice. its under water and in an antec P180 B so it would take something pretty loud to make it really audiable, but im a stickler for sound so, quiet = good. Im hoping to use 1/4" tubes, umm, i just think they look better (lol), but whatevers good. It does have to make it through several components, I still havnt thought out the layout yet but 2 Gpus, the NB, and the CPU.

Ok, so thanks, any help mucho apprciated.

So, after just installing my watercooling setup, and running the first tests, the temps surprise me
Is this normal
CPU: E6300
atm not watercooling graphic card
I have idle temps of 36-37 degrees and load of 40-41 (running a winrar instance per core)
I'm surprised at how little difference there is between load and idle tho, any idea what is to blame? I probably should be seeing much lower idle temps, correct?

Anybody any experience with purchasing watercooling parts from jab-tech ???

I found some good deals for my future watercooling project on their website but never ordered there before . So would like to know if its a good place to buy from . :confused:

I just bought my Swiftech Apex Ultra+ kit from them last thursday. Should be here tomorrow.

Payment went fine, shipping was free so I can't complain.

Sloth said:
I just bought my Swiftech Apex Ultra+ kit from them last thursday. Should be here tomorrow.

Payment went fine, shipping was free so I can't complain.

i've ordered from them before too.. no issues

jab-tech is awesome. on the short list with perrf-pcs and petra's.

those 3 are all you need.

i built a danger den water cooling system for quiet operation, but i still hear my computer. I don't know what's making the noise. I unplugged my Hard drives and made my three 120mm fans are running at 7v. The pump is outside the case floating on zip ties, so that is not making any vibration sounds.. me confused.

check yer psu? the fans on ti may be making some noise. i had to replace both psu fans with low speed panaflo's, running on a rheobus

mjz_5 said:
i built a danger den water cooling system for quiet operation, but i still hear my computer. I don't know what's making the noise. I unplugged my Hard drives and made my three 120mm fans are running at 7v. The pump is outside the case floating on zip ties, so that is not making any vibration sounds.. me confused.

Chipset fan? PSU fans?

mjz_5 said:

You know a pump still generates noise, regardless whether it's floated or not. It's simply the way it goes. The impeller moving water and what not. Maybe the bearings are giving out. Then you have noise from your PSU, optical drives, and water flow.

Sometimes I get gurgle sounds in my reservoir. Course, I just top it off and it's good to go.

thanks guys, i'll try adding more liquid. I have no chipset fan.. oo well, i think i'm just expecting too much. I should have recorded how loud the computer as before the water cooling transition. Maybe i would be a lil more appreciative

mjz_5 said:
thanks guys, i'll try adding more liquid. I have no chipset fan.. oo well, i think i'm just expecting too much. I should have recorded how loud the computer as before the water cooling transition. Maybe i would be a lil more appreciative

hahah oh noes. welcome to the club sir. trust me there is more you cna do bu its gonna be cumulative. do a small thing here, dampen there, relaly start to tune out and single out what the sounds or frequencies are. i switched pumps for it! suspended hard drives for it!

el rolio said:
hahah oh noes. welcome to the club sir. trust me there is more you cna do bu its gonna be cumulative. do a small thing here, dampen there, relaly start to tune out and single out what the sounds or frequencies are. i switched pumps for it! suspended hard drives for it!

i would do all of the following. but the problem is, my case is a silverstone lc17.. not much room :(

http://www.silverstonetek.com/products-lc17.htm.

i couldn't have just used the money to buy a quieter VC.. stupid x1800xt :)

There's ppl who have watercooling and don't use a pump. Course, the watercooling ends up taking up a lot of space.

You can also turn the computer off. Bam!!! Zero noise.

krotch said:
There's ppl who have watercooling and don't use a pump. Course, the watercooling ends up taking up a lot of space.

You can also turn the computer off. Bam!!! Zero noise.

Watercooling without a pump ????? How is that supposed to work ???? :confused:

Arcygenical said:
Lots and lots of reservoir? And convection/advection cooling.

Sorry if i sound stupid ... but convection/advection cooling , whats that ????
How do u get ur water flowing through ur blocks ????
Maybe hook it up to ur gardenhose ??? :confused:

Nothing like that. In convection advection, cold naturally moves to hot, be it vertical (convection) or horizontal (advection). A pretty layman explanation. Anyways, in such a loop, the cold water with the higher density will flow towards the hot water with it's lower density. This of course, would cause the water to flow through your loop. Here's one guy's setup.

http://www.vonslatt.com/proj-cc.shtml

krotch said:
Nothing like that. In convection advection, cold naturally moves to hot, be it vertical (convection) or horizontal (advection). A pretty layman explanation. Anyways, in such a loop, the cold water with the higher density will flow towards the hot water with it's lower density. This of course, would cause the water to flow through your loop. Here's one guy's setup.

http://www.vonslatt.com/proj-cc.shtml

Yep, that's the link I was looking for!

I don't know why anyone would wanna go convection... Pumps make like 0 noise.

Well, if you want a computer that generates virtually zero noise. Sure a pump makes almost no noise, but if you go convection, you get the benefit of watercooling and you don't have to waste power on a pump.

I'm sure it's not as good as having a pump, but if you aren't overclocking, then it works perfectly. So your main benefits would be no noise, less power, and lower cost, as you aren't paying for a pump.

Anyone any experience with swiftech HydrX ??? or better adding a little automotive coolant ??? :confused:

I've used HydraX, Innovatek fluid, Water Wetter, and anti-freeze. It all seems to work the same. I prefer Innovatek fluid as it's clear. I used HydraX simply cause it came with my Swiftech setup. I didn't like the green. Used water wetter, cause the Innovatek wasn't in stock and needed something. Tried anti-freeze cause...well...wanted to try it out.

I really couldn't see a difference between any of them, cept price.

krotch said:
I've used HydraX, Innovatek fluid, Water Wetter, and anti-freeze. It all seems to work the same. I prefer Innovatek fluid as it's clear. I used HydraX simply cause it came with my Swiftech setup. I didn't like the green. Used water wetter, cause the Innovatek wasn't in stock and needed something. Tried anti-freeze cause...well...wanted to try it out.

I really couldn't see a difference between any of them, cept price.

So i guess i could just ad a little of Prestone i use for my car , i like the color of that stuff :D
thx man

Ya. I've been looking for blue antifreeze, but they don't seem to sell them in the states. Course I didn't keep trying to get it, as no one seems to put their antifreeze in clear containers and I didn't feel like wasting anymore money trying to find it.

But hey, I ended up with enough antifreeze for like 100 years.

Hahaha... Well, if we ever go into an ice age, you'll be glad.

Shoulda imported some pentosin for ~20$ tops.

krotch said:
Well, if you want a computer that generates virtually zero noise. Sure a pump makes almost no noise, but if you go convection, you get the benefit of watercooling and you don't have to waste power on a pump.

True... those 18w are a killer XD. In all seriousness, I think it's for the "hey look at me" and money saving factors.

Convection cooling only works when you've got a very vertical run of tubing... I've tried it, and I failed miserably because my tubing made a "loop".

So you think a case that has your mobo sitting horizontal would be a good choice? That way tubing could run straight up from the CPU/GPU to the radiator.

Hi folks. I am considering building my first water cooled computer. I am not new to building pc's, I've just never done water before. I have many questions. I want to water cool for the low noise level, I don't overclock. I have the following stuff in a Lian Li PC7077B case (case has a 120mm blowhole, 120mm intake, dual 80mm and single 120mm exhaust):

Asus A8N-SLI
AMD 3500+ (which I plan to upgrade to an X2 shortly)
Dual 6800 Ultras
4 hard drives
sound card
blah, blah, blah

I want to wc the cpu, gpu's, and the mobo chipset. Can all of this be cooled with a single 120mm radiator? Can I cool it all without any fans? A/C or D/C pump? Whats with high flow/low flow? Why do some cpu blocks have 3 fittings?

My main goal is quiet, cost is really no problem. Internal or external doesn't make much difference to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ya, there's no way you'll cool all that with a single 120mm rad. I'd say at minimum dual 120mm. You can probably go single 120mm and dual 80mm.

The only way for you to watercool and use no fans is to have a passive rad. Course a large passive rad. Something along the lines of 18" x 18". I'd suggest a DC pump so you can just run it off your comp.

I never pay attention to flow rate, but rather head. I don't pay attention to flow rate simply cause it changes rapidly depending on what size barb/tubing you'll be using. Head is how much the pump can push water vertically. I suggest something with at least 6 ft head. Course most pumps are well over that. I use an Swiftech MCP655. It has a flow rate of 317 gph and 10' of head.

Anyways, you want a decent flow rate, cause if it's too slow, the water isn't removed from the block fast enough, causing your parts to overheat. If it's too fast, the water doesn't have enough time in the block to pick up the heat and again. Your parts will overheat.

A good head will help to push the water through multiple blocks, rads, etc. If it's too low, your pump won't be able to push the water through all your blocks, causing your parts to overheat.

The three barb design just gives a better flow through the block. The middle barb will spray over the hottest part of the block, while the two outer barbs will pull the water out. It would keep hot water from rerunning over the middle portion of the block. Course two barb designs work as well as three barb designs.

My suggestions. Get a triple 120mm rad with some low rpm fans. That or get a large passive rad and mount it to the outside of your case.

You can also dump your vidcard and get a single like 7900GTX or 8800GTX. They're both more powerful than the dual gpu solution. It would also generate less heat and you can go with a smaller rad.

krotch said:
So you think a case that has your mobo sitting horizontal would be a good choice? That way tubing could run straight up from the CPU/GPU to the radiator.

Definitely...

Or just 2 90' elbows for your block... With the tubing going straight up to a top-mounted radiator.

Hi all, Iv just started my first ever water cooling project & need some help with regards to rad & fan placement.

I have Aqua-Computer Airplex XT 240 Rad that will be top mounted.
My question is where should I install the fans??
1)On top of the rad sucking air out of the case?
2)On top of the rad blowing air in to the case?
or
3)Under the rad blowing air out?
4)Under the rad sucking air in?

Now my limited understanding is that with option 1&3 the warm air that's in the case will pass through the rad limiting the cooling ability

With option 2&4 the cooler air from outside will pass through the rad resulting in better cooling, but it will also add more hot air into the case increasing temps.

Please could the pro water coolers please help me out

thanx in advance

I say put the fans on top of the rad, pushing air out the case. This'll get rid of dead zones over the rad. Then you can pop open some 5 1/4 bay drives and jerry rig a fan there to have air from outside the case blowing over the rad. Then you'll have cool air from outside the case going over the rad and after the air heats up, it'll get dumped outside the case.

Or you can just leave the 5 1/4 bay drive area closed. It's better to have the air leaving the case, then entering, simply cause other parts of the comp also need to be kept cool. Memory, chipset, mosfets, hdds, PSU, etc.

This is just my opinion, others may do it differently. All I know is I wouldn't want hot air getting dumped right in front of my PSU.

I was wondering what the diference between those 2 pumps is :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835108081
and
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835108063

as i could figure out from the pictures they got diferent numbers , but if i look those pumps up with the link to swifttech it only shows the same pump . I mean there is only one 350 at swiftechs homepage . I called newegg , but they couldnt help me with an answer either . They are both retail . So i was wondering why the same pump for diferent price ?
Anybody knows if there are 2 diferent models of the 350 ??? :confused:

krotch said:
Ya, there's no way you'll cool all that with a single 120mm rad. I'd say at minimum dual 120mm. You can probably go single 120mm and dual 80mm.

Thanks for the information!

I was wondering what the diference between those 2 pumps is :confused:

Smells like a minor revision of the same pump to me.

Anyone know someone who sells the black tubing/hose? And is there a reason I wouldn't want to use it, other than not being able to see the fluid?

Back