The WC Thread: You got questions, we got answers!

gah i cant think of the brand name right now... but i will in a second...its on the tip of my tongue....

anywho the ______ VGA cooler that has a the water entering, first running over the memory, then through a copper waterblock for core, then out.... you know the one im talking about....

yea is it worth it to put the extra money into getting a waterblock that covers the memory? or should i just get a few ramsinks for it? the case im going to get will have a 80mm fan just below the vga card(s). will ramsinks be ok?

MrWizard6600 said:
gah i cant think of the brand name right now... but i will in a second...its on the tip of my tongue....

anywho the ______ VGA cooler that has a the water entering, first running over the memory, then through a copper waterblock for core, then out.... you know the one im talking about....

yea is it worth it to put the extra money into getting a waterblock that covers the memory? or should i just get a few ramsinks for it? the case im going to get will have a 80mm fan just below the vga card(s). will ramsinks be ok?
A WB for the Core + Ramsinks will be pretty much the same as a full coverage block. The main reason people get those is for looks.

Quick Question .

First Time WC'er here and have my system up and ready to go . only problem is I bought a bottle of FluidXP+ HP and it didn't come with any insttructions or anything on the label .

id it ready to go out of the bottle ? or does this stuff have to be mixed with distilled ? any help is appreciated :)

I am considering watercooling. With a budget of about $100 in mind, how difficult would it be to build a very quiet or possibly passive setup? Im not aiming to go much lower than the temps I get with my Zalman... I just hate fans... I wouldn't mind buying used stuff so I figure I can hope.

It would hopefully cool an Opteron 146 and a x800 video card.
Would passively coold chipset be a concern under the conditions of watercooling without the air blowing from the cpu fan and all that?

Damn, I just realized something. This is a really stupid question, buuuut....

On radiators like the Black Ice and such that have a metal case around them, do they need a shroud for the fans, or is that 1/8" gap between the fans and fins sufficient?

It will work, but a real shroud is better. You should look at the shrouds of the optimum length, since they effectivly remove the deadspot in the middle of the fan.

the black ice radiators. are the Xtreme ones really worth the extra bucks you put into it, over the pro ones? further more is it worth going with the tri-radiators over the single ones? obviosly more surface area means better cooling, but can you generate that much heat....

Xbit labs did this artical on water cooling systems, the asetek one using black ice radiators. they stop measuring after 400W, why? would you have to oc like a mad man (ie volt mod so far that the life of your cpu would be no longer then that of a formula1 engine) inorder to get more then that much heat?

questions questions, thanks for any answers.

MrWizard6600 said:
Xbit labs did this artical on water cooling systems, the asetek one using black ice radiators. they stop measuring after 400W, why? would you have to oc like a mad man (ie volt mod so far that the life of your cpu would be no longer then that of a formula1 engine) inorder to get more then that much heat?

Come on man, don't we all have quad dualcore CPU systems with SLI? ;)

Volkum said:
Come on man, don't we all have quad dualcore CPU systems with SLI? ;)

My friend's 530J alone produces more heat than a quad dualcore system with SLI =P
I went to his apartment once, and WOOSH! THIS TIDAL WAVE OF HEAT NAILED ME IN THE FACE! AND HE HAD A [ :eek: ] HOLE IN HIS WINDOW FOR VENTILATION!

older prescott, the real reason why they were called preshott. I have an older 3.4 emt 64, I can't remember max tdp but it is high. The worst heat processor I personally have ever had was a 3.6 do stepping. That thing was HOT. My friend never needed to turn on his dorm heater during the winter (I sold it to him), he just had his computer on the whole time :eek:

i'll be installing a BIX xtreme flow 1x120 rad in my qpack (when the wife goes out of town next month).

which fan should i get for it? also, where can i buy a shroud for it? danger den didn't seem to have it.

thanks,
rob.

robphelan said:
i'll be installing a BIX xtreme flow 1x120 rad in my qpack (when the wife goes out of town next month).

which fan should i get for it? also, where can i buy a shroud for it? danger den didn't seem to have it.

thanks,
rob.

you can get shrouds at FrozenCPU.

for my sig, do you think that 2x 120mm rad is necessary? or just 1x 120mm rad?

Also, later when quad core and dx10 comes out ill be changing the cpu and gfx, will i only need to change the blocks?

Also, Im looking for a relatively cheap kit to cool my cpu and gpu. I dont want to go custom because 1) I dont want to mod my case 2) I dont really know what im doing that much.

I was looking at these kits (btw specs of my rig are in sig):

http://www.frozencpu.com/ex-wat-62.html
http://www.frozencpu.com/ex-wat-76.html with http://www.frozencpu.com/ex-blc-286.html but thats too expensive for me

Obviously, I want to stay as cheap as possible. Even $250 is pushing it for me. Any recommendations?

Also, I want to cool same if not better than my zalman 9500 which cools my opty 165 @ 2.7 idling at 30c. My ambient is 23c

IMPORTANTLY, what is the difference between a custom setup and a kit in terms of what I will have to do? I mean, what kind of construction will I have to do that I wont with a kit? Just no directions?

jcll2002 said:
for my sig, do you think that 2x 120mm rad is necessary? or just 1x 120mm rad?

Also, later when quad core and dx10 comes out ill be changing the cpu and gfx, will i only need to change the blocks?

Also, Im looking for a relatively cheap kit to cool my cpu and gpu. I dont want to go custom because 1) I dont want to mod my case 2) I dont really know what im doing that much.

I was looking at these kits (btw specs of my rig are in sig):

http://www.frozencpu.com/ex-wat-62.html
http://www.frozencpu.com/ex-wat-76.html with http://www.frozencpu.com/ex-blc-286.html but thats too expensive for me

Obviously, I want to stay as cheap as possible. Even $250 is pushing it for me. Any recommendations?

Also, I want to cool same if not better than my zalman 9500 which cools my opty 165 @ 2.7 idling at 30c. My ambient is 23c

IMPORTANTLY, what is the difference between a custom setup and a kit in terms of what I will have to do? I mean, what kind of construction will I have to do that I wont with a kit? Just no directions?

kit = everything you need + instructions ... some compromise in personal preference
custom = ability to hand select every component + some instructions.

installation though is pretty much the same for both minus a few adaptations you may have to do with a custom setup (barb fittings etc).

From what you stated, I'd say to go w/ a decent kit like the Swiftech H20-120 (roughly $200.)

you can start using it right out of the box pretty much after installing.

If you want a GPU block you'd have to buy that seperate. Slap on an MCW60 for $50 and you've got your $250 kit right there.

stormshadow said:
kit = everything you need + instructions ... some compromise in personal preference
custom = ability to hand select every component + some instructions.

installation though is pretty much the same for both minus a few adaptations you may have to do with a custom setup (barb fittings etc).

From what you stated, I'd say to go w/ a decent kit like the Swiftech H20-120 (roughly $200.)

you can start using it right out of the box pretty much after installing.

If you want a GPU block you'd have to buy that seperate. Slap on an MCW60 for $50 and you've got your $250 kit right there.
that EXACTLY what I was thinking :D except for the h20-220 not the 120

Ok since the question I asked became unanswered, I emailed Koolance to ask how many cooling kits can be added to either Exos Lt and or Exos 2.

This was their response:

It depends on the temperature range desired. Both have dual pumps, which could conceivably handle 5-6 coolers. However, if running CPU and video on the Exos-LT, or CPU and dual video on the Exos-2, other coolers should be kept to a minimum for better performance. Hydra-Pak based coolers will also reduce pump pressure more than regular blocks.

Hello and GREAT guide.

I'm just getting into WC and looking for a cpu block. I searched for a Swiftech MCW6002/6000, seems many agree thsi "was" a great bangfor buck", but they seem impossible to find. I was also looking for an all copper but that is hard to find too. What's a good block that can be "universal"? If that is not possible than what is the "next" best thing? Really don't want to go over high $50's. from reading it seems that pure copper is best way to go.

I have a micro case
Swiftech MCP350 pump
775 socket

I'm getting the Swiftech h20-120 and looking for a different h2o Block. It comes with the apogee but looking for something "better" in the same price range or high $50's.
Should I just stay with the Apogee?

thanks!!!

If you're still looking for an inexpensive, but still high performing block, Whitewaters perform slightly better than a 6000/6002 and are universal (except for AM2), and they are also only $29.

Seems like a good block... has the 3 fittings though... I'm new to WC and never used a Y connector before... very cheap and I like it. Thanks ikellensbro.

Anyone else an opinion?

Storm is too much and the Swifties 6000 impossible to find. Danger Den seem to be okay but for price I've read in other places that you can do better.

I have the Swiftech h20-120 kit coming and the Apogee will probably stay in New box.
I have a Qpack with an ATX board
Swiftech MCP350 pump
For 775 socket

great guide!

i am also new to watercooling and want to know what fittings i'm suppose to use on this rad if i'm using 7/16 ID 5/8 OD tubing? 1/2 OD or 3/8 OD?

Black Ice Stealth GT 120

the rest of the setup is:
DD TDX cpu block
Swiftech MCP655 pump
Maze4 gpu block
Bl Stealth GT 120

any suggestion on better parts are welcome. :)

aiya said:
great guide!

i am also new to watercooling and want to know what fittings i'm suppose to use on this rad if i'm using 7/16 ID 5/8 OD tubing? 1/2 OD or 3/8 OD?

Black Ice Stealth GT 120

the rest of the setup is:
DD TDX cpu block
Swiftech MCP655 pump
Maze4 gpu block
Bl Stealth GT 120

any suggestion on better parts are welcome. :)
1/2" OD fittings ;)

Thanks!

do you think the rad i picked will be enough to cool a opteron 165 (going for 3ghz), and X1900XT (might oc, might not) or should i go for the 240 version? i didn't want to have a big rad due to limited space in my lian li pc-7b plus, but if its recommended then i'll have to go for it and mod my case a little.

definitely go for the 240, it doesnt cost much more and will yield you better temps

newb question probably answered in this big post but does length of the tubing matter? I would think it would because the pump is pushing more water so it might be slower if you have to long of tubing. I have a bunch of extra slack on mine and I was thinking that's the reason why it's not cooling as well as I thought it would (I am using the evercool vga cooler kit yes it's not that strong but I would think I would get my temp's down some. Right now my 7600gt is idling at 52c and maxes out at about 73c. The temp dosn't seem to change though when I speed up the fan on the unit. So i was thinking it was probably the extended tubing inside the case (i have the unit outside)

yes, the length of tubing definitely matters, you usually want the shortest amount of tubing as possible which will have less restriction in the loop ;)

Just this little thing. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835119014

It is pretty much just a test project to see if I could get it installed. Also my video card was running kinda hot with the artic cooling unit on my 7600 so I wanted to try something different. I know this isn't a powerful unit but I would think it would atleast keep it as cool as the stock fan did. Sadly it's about a few degree's above so I am trying to figure out whats the problem. I have a bunch of extra tube slack on the inside of the case. I will try to cut most of it today see what happens.

Has this been discussed before? Basically I'm wondering if somebody can or has put together a few notes/thoughts about the relationship between what you're cooling and what size radiator you need.

For example, I'm looking into wc'ing the rig in my sig, but am probably only going to do the 2 cpu's for now. Would a thermochill 92.1 radiator provide enough surface area to dissipate that heat, or would I need something more like a 120.2?

psychoace said:
Just this little thing. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835119014

It is pretty much just a test project to see if I could get it installed. Also my video card was running kinda hot with the artic cooling unit on my 7600 so I wanted to try something different. I know this isn't a powerful unit but I would think it would atleast keep it as cool as the stock fan did. Sadly it's about a few degree's above so I am trying to figure out whats the problem. I have a bunch of extra tube slack on the inside of the case. I will try to cut most of it today see what happens.
eck, stay away from kits! they are the devil! cept swiftech's kits, but have you tried remounted the block?

N H O said:
eck, stay away from kits! they are the devil! cept swiftech's kits, but have you tried remounted the block?
Yeah I know I did the kit mostly to see how easy it was and so in the future I would feel comfortable putting down $150+ on a system and know I can install it or atleast have some prior knowledge.

Anyhow I am going to remount tonight after I cut the tubes down.

why do people loop from their CPU to their GPU, wouldn't it just cool the GPU less because of the warm water? is there a reason people dont split the hose to the cpu and gpu then combine them back to their raidiator?

Would anyone care to update this article with more recent hardware names? It's getting hard to hardware suggested in 2004 :p

I have a confession to make, my wonderful watercooling draining seemed to fail me today as I tried it out. Hmm, I missed a few seals here and there, but does anyone know

So I contacted Coolermaster for a replacement part, after the run around with a person who seems to be talking like they are located in India, I got the part ordered.

A replacement for the Aquagate Pci card costs $5.00 with $7.00 shipping.

Back