The Sky is Falling

Kyle, are you sure you want to do this in Texas?????

Have you not seen the episode of Top Gear where the english boys tried that and were chased by a bunch of "good ol' boys"???!!!!

Either way Merry X'Mas to you and all the folk at [H]. i have learned lots in this 1st year in [H] and in the building my 1st rig.

Ho Ho Ho

Don't forget the episode of Family Guy where they're chased out of Quahog because Stewie was thought to be possessed. That one was on last night, first thing that popped into my head.

Good luck with that Kyle. Unlike many people here, I would actually like to see the card come out on time simply because AMD/ATI needs money and we all need competition.

I'll ride shotgun wearing the bra if Kyle is wrong.

lol! :eek: I've around here long enough to have endured Steve-in-a-bra, now the possibility of Kyle in a tutu? You guys might want to consider a new alter-ego site: dragOCP.com... :D

Boy its gonna be a long year

But seeing pics of Kyle and Steve in a tutu (please make it pink) and bra (leopard maybe?) is gonna be worth it

Unless AMD itself is wrong, we won't see R700 in 2008

http://www.techreport.com/r.x/amd2007analystday/38.png

I stand by statement fully. Who you gonna believe? Websites that base their understanding (or mis-understanding) of the marketplace on mislabled slides or someone who is talking to people that know what is going on?

I some folks want to play both sides of the web business.....being a rumor site and a trusted review site, sadly I don't think those go hand in hand.

If AMD does fix their AA problem....nVidia has a competitor...plane and simple. Anybody who ever looked at the raw apple to apple comparisons without AA between the two cards should have noticed how solid the cards (2900,3800) are in a lions share of the games. I also think nVidia recognizes this. In short...Kyle is more than likely right.

The writing is on the wall. If you don't believe it...just look at the core series from Intel...that technology was in laptops long before it hit the desktop market.

PowerPoint, fostering miscommunication since 1987.

What is totally f'ed up is that I remedied the entire thing this morning with one phone call. These guys need to get off their lazy asses and ask a few questions instead of making a ton of assumptions based on a single slide and information that was NOT presented.

will paper launch count?

I don't want to miss the Tutu-Bra duo because of a technicality :D:D

Eh, I guess I don't really care much about AMD anymore and what they do. Seems like I am having to change my Mobo everytime they come out with a new product.
Intel has been extreamly smart with their newer 775 Socket Design. I don't expect them to change anytime soon.
Oh and Kyle, you have to hold up a sign that says, We AMD Fanboi's Just <3 our 2toos!!11!!!11

Wait till PETA hears about this, all the armadillos that might get blinded by the sight will have mobs of PETA fanatics surrounding [H]ardquaters with torches and pitchforks.

oh, looks like our armored little friends are safe, for now.

ahhh but it makes a "better" story to bash someone.

and now, i think more sites will post that it's going to be delayed....just because of your offer :D:D

Well hey, we love to dish out a good "bashing," but obvioulsy we think it should be fully deserved.

ahhh but it makes a "better" story to bash someone.

It makes a better story to have well-edited copy and proper fact checking. Without these, sensational content is barely better than a "lol AMD sux cuz rofl" post.

It gives the "bashing" much more weight, too, when the time comes to dish some out.

No one can get it right all the time, but it took one phone call to disconfirm it. Sure, Kyle has developed contacts that mean he can find out a lot more with one phone call than most of us. Good journalism pretty much requires that sort of networking.

I hope they get it out on time, with ati and new cores it seems to be delay after delay, x1800 and 2900xt = case in point, whereas the refreshes are generally on time.

Ok. I'm an asshole on this one.... I'm kinda hoping for an earthquake that destroys the AMD/ATI buildings. :D

Well, I'd kinda like to see the new video cards more. Sorry, Kyle, put that tutu back. I'm sure you had it all picked out and tried it on already, right? Well, if Steve can wear a bra, Kyle can wear a tutu.

AMD/ATI might not be on my list of new upgrades, but if they release a better product when I upgrade, I'll go with them. Plus, it keeps the competition great!

why, chondrites that are particularly rich in silicates, of course.

Special "space silicon" is the secret ingredient for AMD's next generation.

Are you two making references to Dan Brown's book? I can't think of the name of that one right now.

EDIT: Deception Point. It came to me.

EDIT again: Now that I think of it, Deception Point was concerned with chondrules, not chondrites... Any geologists care to discuss the differences?

Well I consider both [H] and Techreport trusted review sites, I gotta say I only give techreport the upper hand just to see the Tutu-Bra duo.

I also keep in mind that even AMD can't be trusted as a source of information, there have been so many changes in the roadmap, and broken promises this year that I just can't trust them anymore.

I am not basing any of my statements on roadmaps. :) I don't trust AMD roadmaps either....as this thread is a good example of. Seems the pendulum swings both ways in terms of time estimates though with AMD.

How come Kyle gets to be .... MR. PINK? :eek::rolleyes::p

mrpink.jpg

EDIT again: Now that I think of it, Deception Point was concerned with chondrules, not chondrites... Any geologists care to discuss the differences?

Chondrites contain chondrules.

Chondrules_grassland_1.jpg

This is a cross-section of a chrondrite, the chondrules are the little round parts.

I remember not too long ago when ATI set the standard for AA performance with GPU's. I remember H changing their testing to reflect AA levels. I remember a buncha n00bs who are probably hardgawds at this point saying how H was favoring ATI. AMAZING, how the tables have turned. Now ATI has the shitty AA performance and H is being accused of favoring Nvidia. The sky really is falling.

I can now add techreport as another site not worth the click to visit. What I don't understand is some people's expectations. ATI got bought while they were R&D'ing R700. R600 and R700 is pre-AMD ATI. As far as attempting to have an opinion on the merger: Why would u expect R700, a technology they were Dev'ing before their buy-out, to have some sort of magical powers due to AMD? Whatever is after R700 will REALLY show people the benefits of the buy-out. By REALLY, I mean from the ground up having AMD directly involved with the R&D. What do you guys think?

Who is with me to petition AMD/ATi to release the R700 with a different series number?

That way is really win-win.

Different series number, same tech = Chipset + pictures (tutu + bra + pink wheels)

You don't think that AMD/ATi has printed so much copy that a copy/paste job couldn't fix yet? :p

I remember not too long ago when ATI set the standard for AA performance with GPU's. I remember H changing their testing to reflect AA levels. I remember a buncha n00bs who are probably hardgawds at this point saying how H was favoring ATI. AMAZING, how the tables have turned. Now ATI has the shitty AA performance and H is being accused of favoring Nvidia. The sky really is falling.

Whatever a site like [H] does, there are going to be whiners and complainers and finger-pointers yelling "paid off" or "biased" every chance they get. Guess it comes with the job.

I can now add techreport as another site not worth the click to visit. What I don't understand is some people's expectations. ATI got bought while they were R&D'ing R700. R600 and R700 is pre-AMD ATI. As far as attempting to have an opinion on the merger: Why would u expect R700, a technology they were Dev'ing before their buy-out, to have some sort of magical powers due to AMD? Whatever is after R700 will REALLY show people the benefits of the buy-out. By REALLY, I mean from the ground up having AMD directly involved with the R&D. What do you guys think?

I don't know, I hope AMD can help ATI, but I mean the X19** cards were great, best IQ and usually faster than NVIDIA, yet with the X29** IQ suffered with broken AA and it was not able to keep up with NVIDIA. I think most people blamed AMD for that. I know AMD can be innovative, as is easily seen by this new hybrid-Crossfire which should be kinda cool. The HD 3 series of cards are pretty decent for the price I think, so let's hope AMD/ATI can continue the trend into the high-end.

Who is with me to petition AMD/ATi to release the R700 with a different series number?

That way is really win-win.

Different series number, same tech = Chipset + pictures (tutu + bra + pink wheels)

You don't think that AMD/ATi has printed so much copy that a copy/paste job couldn't fix yet? :p

I'm sure that if you link them to this thread they will gladly help you out by changing the model numbers.
Afterall, we all have gay dreams. :rolleyes:

I don't know which worries me more :p
that kyle puts him in a tutu as a wager,

or that all of you freaks want to see him in one!

I don't know which worries me more :p
that kyle puts him in a tutu as a wager,

or that all of you freaks want to see him in one!

Hmmm. lol. either way kyle can't lose this one, he might have some deep seated desire to wear a tutu and drive around with pink wheels. Way to put your tutu where your mouth is kyle!!!

Its suicide, although the Top Gear guys got away with it in Alabama, i think it was there anyway XD

If AMD/Ati has really fixed the AA problems of the 2900 series then I will put on a tutu and dance around :D

Honestly I'm tired of Nvidia being the current choice for high end gaming, I would rather have choice then being forced to buy a product.

Also Kyle in a tutu ... now that is news!

*waits for pics* Now a days, a guy wearing a tutu is nothing. People are used to seeing freaks.

Well, they may come out with the R700 but, the question is, how good will it be?

They could put it out and it bomb big time or they could put it out and it's good. Me, I'm not holding my breath nor do I really care. When something is released, if it's worth it, I get it.

I just hope for our sake AMD gets back in the game soon with decent stuff. Right now there isn't much competition for Intel and Nvidia and it's beginning to show.

Why do people keep calling it AMD/ATI? I mean everyone knows AMD owns it. Just call it ATI like it should be.

LOLOLOL

I would laugh if AMD called it the R701 just so Kyle would be "wrong" and would have to go through with his promise....so maybe Kyle should change his statement to R700 series just to cover all of the bases. :D

If you don’t see R700 this next year, I will paint the wheels on my truck pink, drive around Texas wearing a tutu, and take pictures for all of you to see.

Good thing ATI has never had a GPU delay ;)

I have no doubt we will see the R700, because too much has already been spent developing it. Even before AMD bought the company.

Although I would not make bets on when we will see it. Mainly because I have the worst luck ever when it comes to gambling.

ninja edit to "this NEXT year"

I think its too late. It said this year at first right? So you have 2 weeks before you have to paint your wheels pink... etc.

You are about 60 posts late...as usual. ;) - Kyle

Does it make sense to release an ultra high end product that may suffer the same fate as the 2900?

Uh no, that is why it is likely not to happen again. Did NVIDIA slow down product cycles because of 5800? Your logic is flawed or I am misunderstanding your statement.

Also I am not sure I heard anyone classify R700 as "ultra high end," but I will share that assumption with you. But that product classification will also be determined by the competition in the marketplace at the time.

Do not think for a second that ATI is not going to have another major GPU announcement for over a year. Anyone thinking they have not learned something from the current trend is smoking crack.

Wow for a site known as [H]ardOCP, there is a lot of "MO" activity going on here. Why are so many people "obsessed" with seeing a grown man in a bra? For the record, after seeing the picture, I'm no longer intimidated by Steve. Plus, wearing bras is only cool if the 4 drunk & horny supermodels wanted me to role play like that.

=)

So you are intimating then that the roadmaps that AMD just threw in front of Wallstreet this past Thursday are lies ? It cant be both.Either AMD can be beleived or it cant.AMD has a long track record of 'holding thier cards close to vest' only to fumble the ball at the last minute,or have lied the whole way through about performance,and when,and at what speed the products would be launched at.

Recent Examples ? :

R600

Phenom

Ok,either AMD's just released,and newly 'updated' roadmaps are correct and really forthcoming and honest,or you know more then they do ? And AMD is again lying and trying to sell us,and wallstreet and the investors more BS and half truths.So are you saying that the roadmaps are lies or wrong ? If so,thats even bigger news then R700 turning into a Q209 product line.I would love to see AMD put pressure on Nvidia right now competition is good,we all know that.But recent events out of thier own damn mouths says very different.

There is a world of difference between a "major GPU announcement" a product on shelves.A company can make all the announcments its wants,but unless it is shipping real product,what does it matter ?

it's very easy to get the wrong idea from a slide

I believe that slide was a "platform" slide, indicating that a DDR3/R700 combo will be in 2009, there is nothing specific on there about R700 or even R680, just R6XX, and R7XX, and it's also listed under a refresh, R700 could be the launch product in 2k8 and R7XX(say R720) is a refresh in 2k9.

The slide really doesn't tell anyone enough to come to a conclusion
about R700, or R7XX launch time in general, it does though give us a good timeline on their next platform :p

Back