The Sky is Falling

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Would love to hear what you guys think about this!

Sometimes people are just full of BS. AMD is right on track with R700. What AMD is doing now that some “journalists” don’t understand is that AMD is holding their cards a bit closer to the vest than is normally the case. Don’t assume since AMD is not commenting on future products that they do not even exist.

Interestingly enough, two things have come to pass that VP of Developer Relations at NVIDIA, Roy Taylor, assured me would never happen. First that AMD would never keep the “ATI” branding, which of course has come to pass for the simple reason of Intel still using ATI technologies. Second that, “R700 will never be made.” Roy is wrong on that one too. I wonder how many developers he related that to in the last year that will now be seeing an install base with a different landscape?

If you don’t see R700 this next year, I will paint the wheels on my truck pink, drive around Texas wearing a tutu, and take pictures for all of you to see.

Ok I tried skimming the links and didn't see it- who is this quote from? Original source?

It's possible I may have read over it but I just didn't see it. :confused:

LOL. If thats not an admission of something to come, call me sally.

Wait wait wait wait.... Dec. 31st, if there's no R700... Kyle puts a tutu on??

As hilarious as that would be, I think I'd rather have the video card. That, and I think there's already a photoshopped picture something like that floating around the net :p

Edit:
LOL. If thats not an admission of something to come, call me sally.

Tutu's all around!

As hilarious as that would be, I think I'd rather have the video card. That, and I think there's already a photoshopped picture something like that floating around the net :p

Edit:

Tutu's all around!

LOL I didn't realize Kyle was quoting himself. :D

Sometimes people are just full of BS. AMD is right on track with R700. What AMD is doing now that some “journalists” don’t understand is that AMD is holding their cards a bit closer to the vest than is normally the case. Don’t assume since AMD is not commenting on future products that they do not even exist.

Interestingly enough, two things have come to pass that VP of Developer Relations at NVIDIA, Roy Taylor, assured me would never happen. First that AMD would never keep the “ATI” branding, which of course has come to pass for the simple reason of Intel still using ATI technologies. Second that, “R700 will never be made.” Roy is wrong on that one too. I wonder how many developers he related that to in the last year that will now be seeing an install base with a different landscape?

If you don’t see R700 this year, I will paint the wheels on my truck pink, drive around Texas wearing a tutu, and take pictures for all of you to see.
I hope the R700 will be delayed just because I want to see the pics :p

Oops I linked a wrong thread in the quote :D

Edit:

Tutu's all around!

Thanks, my bad. Obviously 2008. In my mind 2007 is over. :p

I think Kyle failed at the ninja edit ;-)

I vote for Kyle in a pink tutu for new years!!
Steve can break out his old bra for the occasion as well =P

Kyle has been a straight shooter as long as I have been going to this site. If he says the R700 will come out this year, then I believe him. I am not an AMD/ATI fan boy or Intel?NVIDIA fan boy, I have systems using both. I just want the best hardware, don't care who makes it.

I am sure Kyle cannot list his source or anything like that, but it would help if you could give us a bone, like what quarter in 2008 it will come out. :D:D
Keep bringing it Kyle, I for one appreicate it!!!!:D

I'd rather have a new card come out and stir up competition. Prices are still on the high side for video cards. While we've had a nice trend of cpu coming down in price over the past 10 years (the mainstream experience is not far from the enthusiast experience), the high, mid and low range cards show a very large difference. With the recent G92 releases, this has been helped somewhat, but it needs to go down some more.

If you don’t see R700 this next year

that being said, wonder if we could hedge the range down...umm, Kyle, if R700 doesn't come out in 1H 2008 would you be willing to wear a pink tutu? :p

We need a new thread with poll for that. Kyle's mistake is unforgivable :p

some are still missing the edit.
If you don’t see R700 this next year,
Meaning 2008. X3800 series just barely got out the door, not even ATI is crazy enough to be planning a launch this month.

XBIT or someone claimed 2009 for R700. Kyle and a couple of other sites are on cleanup this morning saying that it is still going to be a 2008 part.

I am sure Kyle cannot list his source or anything like that, but it would help if you could give us a bone, like what quarter in 2008 it will come out. :D:D
Keep bringing it Kyle, I for one appreicate it!!!!:D

I think 2008 is going to be a solid year in the video card business. As for when R700 will be with us, keep in mind that RV670 is just getting warmed up and is shipping somewhere around 500K units so stocks are finally movign up on these. You will also see RV680 next from AMD, which is a dual GPU single PCB card. On the NVIDIA front, we have 1GB framebuffer GeForce 8800 GT cards on the way to us now, which is very exciting. Not sure on retail costs though.

Yeah, my bad, I will throw wearing a tiara into the deal now as well to make up for my non-ninja edit.. I am not draggins Steve's poor ass into this though, he had nothing to do with it. Seeing him in a bra once in a lifetime is enough for me as well.

They're doing a good job of fighting for the midrange, especially considering the recent merger. Maybe that's not the stuff we like to drool over as much here, but it's where money is made.

ATI is still a recent acquisition, and the 45 nm process is still a new thing. I assume R700 will be out in the next 6 months (but I wouldn't be shocked to see it come out 6-8 months after that, and given the circumstances, wouldn't think too badly of them).

This is hardly AMD's first product launch, it's not like ATI was bought out by Phantom.

well if you look back at all the years of AMD.
"IF" they have something they can't shut up, and tell everyone how great they are.
"BUT" if its not great, or a joke they make a big deal of keeping quiet.

Look at the last few processors for examples.
NO open reviews, no press, except a few select people...flops

the 3800 cards are a great card for the price range and shows they can make something...we sure as hell don't want to talk about the 2900 joke but they sure did.

Kyle, are you sure you want to do this in Texas?????

Have you not seen the episode of Top Gear where the english boys tried that and were chased by a bunch of "good ol' boys"???!!!!

Either way Merry X'Mas to you and all the folk at [H]. i have learned lots in this 1st year in [H] and in the building my 1st rig.

Ho Ho Ho

2900 has some great technology in it. I hear the AA is fixed on the R700. ;)

As a native Texan who lives not too far from the Dallas area I'll be on the lookout for Kyle if his prediction doesn't come to pass. :p

You're probably right. Even though RV670 is pretty nice, I doubt there's much more performance to be had from it, let alone stretch out the product life cycle for more than a year.

I can see it now: AMD delays the release just so they can see the pics of you. ;) :D

Actually, I think it was a threat from Kyle to AMD/ATI. While some of the people in here would love to see something like what Kyle proposed, most of the world does not want to see it, including AMD/ATI. If anything, this is incentive for them to get in gear and get stuff going.

After Kyle's threat and Steve's offer to ride shotgun, I wouldn't be surprised if R700 is released early. :eek::p:D

is it wrong of me to pray for a delay? I know it would hurt alot of people, but I would LOVE to see those pics. I need the laugh!

haha I was referring to 2008 also in my post, but I didn't post that... reading it now it seems like I was talking about 2007 though. Sorry, first thing I saw this morning. That makes 2 failed ninja edit's for today.

I'll ride shotgun wearing the bra if Kyle is wrong.

I agree with Kyle. Once is enough for this lifetime :p

I want a hot pink tutu and hot pink wheels to match!!!

Honestly I think you should shave too, haven't see you and don't really wanna picture it, but from the few shots I have seen you look like a hairy guy.

I'm also extremely disappointed with AMD/ATI in both the processor and the graphics card market b/c it's slowing progression in both fields. First phenom is a flop, then the 3800 series fail to impress.

Sure the 3800 series is a decent mid-range product but they left the enthusiast community hanging out to dry, which forced Nvidia to nothing as did Phenom with Intel. I'm hoping their next processor and future graphics cards offer more than these last releases or we're in for a long lull period in terms of overall progression.

Oh ya, bring on the tutu!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Back