The Router Recommendations Thread (Consumer)

Not sure what you're doing with your things, the WDR3600 and/or WDR4300 works great (at least using atk9k driver) but like with any wireless router you need to do a wireless survey to figure out what channels you should use and channel bandwidth for best performance. Also, update wireless drivers on your devices as it can affect them greatly on how they perform.
//Danne

I always stuck to auto, how do I do a survey?
And yes, I love TP Link, but I couldn't wait for it to be shipped lol.

I went to Best Buy, Wal Mart and Frys tonight, none of them had a TP Link dual band router, kind of surprised too by that. So I ended going with the Netgear 6220.

That 3600 is only like $50 on frys.com , if they had that, I would of picked it up for sure.

You can use something like inssider which will graph networks and their channels (frequencies)
http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

What you want is have as few networks as possible overlapping your own network, that also includes signal strengh. You're usually better off having a few network with low signal strength than 1-2 with high signal strengh overlapping your own network. The 2.4Ghz space is usually very crowded and if that's the case you'll get faster speeds having a slower link speed (20Mhz vs 40Mhz bands) so 20Mhz is to be preferred over 40Mhz. 5 GHz follow the same rules, fortunately you usually have very few if any networks on this band. 5 Ghz does however have slightly shorter range but even so you might end up with better speeds in the end. Of course, if all your devices support 5Ghz you can disable the 2.4GHz radio altogether (only applies if you have many overlapping networks).
//Danne

You can use something like inssider which will graph networks and their channels (frequencies)
http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

What you want is have as few networks as possible overlapping your own network, that also includes signal strengh. You're usually better off having a few network with low signal strength than 1-2 with high signal strengh overlapping your own network. The 2.4Ghz space is usually very crowded and if that's the case you'll get faster speeds having a slower link speed (20Mhz vs 40Mhz bands) so 20Mhz is to be preferred over 40Mhz. 5 GHz follow the same rules, fortunately you usually have very few if any networks on this band. 5 Ghz does however have slightly shorter range but even so you might end up with better speeds in the end. Of course, if all your devices support 5Ghz you can disable the 2.4GHz radio altogether (only applies if you have many overlapping networks).
//Danne

Wow, thank you very much. That makes a lot of sense.

I live in a house, but there is between 6-8 networks my computers can pick up from around the neighborhood.

I'll check this out, much appreciated.

Here are the networks that are reachable in the house.
Mind you, this of course is my phone, a little bit weaker radio than my PS4 or Laptops. Netgear65 is mine.
0XCifW.png

Last edited:
A thunderstorm just came through and zapped my router. As such, I'm suddenly in the market for a new one.

We only have a 50 MBps internet line but we do alot of streaming between devices in the house (computer to smart TV, for example). The new one needs to be able to reliably support 10+ devices at any given time, plus some hard wired utilities.

Any recommendations?

I'm looking for a new router to replace my Linksys E4200. It overheats. I'll have about 10 devices connected to it (Roku, iphone, ipad, laptop, 5 Android phones etc...). I'd really appreciate a recommendation. Here are some requirements I have:

Requirements:
1) Has to be 802.11 AC router.
2) Will be using Private Internet Access VPN.
3) Brands will consider: Asus, TP-Link, NetGear, D-Link
4) Must have at least one USB 3.0 port

Right now, I have it down to 4 routers:

1) RT-AC68U
2) Archer C7 AC1750
3) RT-AC66U
4) R7000

I'm just confused as to which one to buy. I don't know a huge amount about routers, so I'm hoping someone can recommend one or tell me what I should be looking for between these models.

R7000 is good for those who have used it. I have the R6200v2 it's older sibling and it has been quite good to me.

While I like and use the Archer C7 AC1750 myself, it'll easily handle 10 connections, but does not have a USB 3.0 port, only USB 2. Also the stock firmware is rather basic, so although it performs very well, I wouldn't recommend it to people who are not used to tinkering with their router.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've read some reviews that say the R7000 drops frequently on 5 GHz. Granted, they are only a few bad reviews, but does anyone have experience with the R7000 at 5GHz level?

Thanks for the suggestion. I've read some reviews that say the R7000 drops frequently on 5 GHz. Granted, they are only a few bad reviews, but does anyone have experience with the R7000 at 5GHz level?

I dont have any issues with the 5GHz dropping anything at all. I have 2 R7000's neither drop 5GHz in the 7 months I have had them.

Thanks for the response. My last issue is that I don't know which 3rd party firmware to put on it. Any suggestion?

Shibby's Tomato 129
NetGear Firmware 1.0.4.30
Kong's DD-WRT

Last edited:
Thanks for the response. My last issue is that I don't know which 3rd party firmware to put on it. Any suggestion?
XVortex Asus Merlin 378.54_2
Shibby's Tomato 129
Kong's DD-WRT

I use the stock firmware for the one I have at my parents and Kong's DD-WRT for myself and they both work great. Havent tried the other 2.

XVortex Asus Merlin 378.54_2
Shibby's Tomato 129
Kong's DD-WRT

I use netgears firmware with no issues on a 105 comcast connection full gigabit network with ps4 ps3 wii u, 2 xbox ones 3 360's 3desktops and 20 other wired and wireless devices and it never has had an issue.

Me either and i have at least six devices on 5ghz at any given time

Yea, I use my 5GHz band for almost all of my media devices, anything I would need to transfer large files to and from. As with all routers though the 5Ghz band doesnt have as much penetration as the 2.4Ghz. But I got both of my R7000's for $100 so I cant complain about really anything. Its been really solid and overall an upgrade over my Asus.

Thanks for responding everyone and putting my mind at ease.

Yea, I use my 5GHz band for almost all of my media devices, anything I would need to transfer large files to and from. As with all routers though the 5Ghz band doesnt have as much penetration as the 2.4Ghz. But I got both of my R7000's for $100 so I cant complain about really anything. Its been really solid and overall an upgrade over my Asus.

$100?!? Man, I'm paying $170. That's one heck of a deal.

Hello, need some help not sure if I should buy a new router or use some custom firmware (never done b4 on a router) I have Netgear WNDR3700 What I am looking to do is have 2 WIFI logins, the main and a guest account. Starting to get alot of family and extended family over the house these days would rather keep them off my main network lol. Just not sure how to do it. That and there is more WIFI useage in the house now than b4, 4 people using it atm plus 2 Roku's. For the most part things run fine atm but this router is old (bought in Nov 2010) The house is 2,710ish sqft

Any help be nice, when it comes to networking my knowledge is just above basic,

did I ask in the wrong spot for help? far as i can tell the list at the very start of this thread was last edited 11-17-2010 so it would be really out of date not sure how it would be a nice list now

Looking at the various TP Link routers as an upgrade...

On Amazon I can get the C7 for $90, the C8 for 110, and the C9 for $130.

This would be for an apartment that usually has 3 computers connected, 3-4 cell phones, a NAS box, and a smartTV streaming Netflix. The old, simple g router just isn't doing the trick anymore.

Any thoughts?

Looking at the various TP Link routers as an upgrade...

On Amazon I can get the C7 for $90, the C8 for 110, and the C9 for $130.

This would be for an apartment that usually has 3 computers connected, 3-4 cell phones, a NAS box, and a smartTV streaming Netflix. The old, simple g router just isn't doing the trick anymore.

Any thoughts?

Im in the same boat my dlink is on its last leg

I just got the TP Link C9 and I LOVE IT.

Best bang for the buck routers out there. UI is as good as my old ASUS unit that died. Signal strength is great. I get full bars in every room of my 1900sq ft house (1 story).

Setup was easy, I got the white one, it is good looking. I also like how the connectors are on the back bottom and USB 3 is nice for my USB 3 SSD drive I have hooked up to it.

I was looking at the 7 - 8 - 9 and was like F it, for $20 more I get the 9, better UI 9the 7 has the old one from what I read) and AC1900.

Cant go wrong with any of them.

All, It looks like my ASUS RT-N66U is kicking the bucket; needing ~daily resets now due to signal going out.

My usage is 6 Sonos speakers, Gaming PC, 3 laptops and 3 chrome casts spread around 2 stories of an ~2700sq/ft house (Router in top-front room due to layout issues with Fios line).

My Asus had issues providing signal to my back deck, devices going out more often than not so I'd like to boost power a bit with the replacement, maybe 25-30% more would cover all use cases easily.

Any recommendations on what I should get? Never really used TP-LINK before but they seem to be highly recommended now, else should I go for the newer shinier batman-esque Netgear/Asus models? Price not really an concern; I'd rather pay a bit more and not have to worry about signal/reliability for the next few years.

-Chris

Thats funny, my old router that got lightning zapped was the RT-N66 model as well.

Get a TP Link unit and then add one of their easy to use repeaters like the TP-LINK RE200 or 210.

With your Sq Ft and 2 levels, no one router will give you good coverage everywhere. For the same $ you could do 1 router and 2 repeaters ($200) vs 1 super pricey router....$200-$300.

I just bought an ERL, which is weird because I've used PFsense or untangle for so long.

Looking to upgrade from Asus RT-N65. Nothing wrong with it other then it doesn't push the signal out far enough in my yard. So looking for something with more distance for wifi. Have my eye on the TP-LINK Archer C7 and C8 didn't like the performance of the wifi on the C9 it drops signal too soon according to reviews I was looking at. Currently I have no problems with wifi getting to any device in the house it's just the range outside that is the problem.

Any recommendations for wifi range. AC would be the way to go although I don't have a exact tech I'm looking at because the computers are all hard wired and any wireless devices we have don't use AC that I'm aware of. Not sure about my 4k Samsung tv or the LG theater system in our living room. Wasn't ever any concern as to what they are. I can always hard wire those in also to keep from any interference of anything else in the house.

@ sc0tty8
Uhm... ok?

@scgt1
You'll most likely need an extender or an additional access point. Transmit power is restricted and even if you had a very strong signal your device wouldn't have the power to transmit back anyway.
//Danne

@ sc0tty8
Uhm... ok?

@scgt1
You'll most likely need an extender or an additional access point. Transmit power is restricted and even if you had a very strong signal your device wouldn't have the power to transmit back anyway.
//Danne

I have signal to the end of my driveway as is. But the speed of the 200meg connection is greatly degraded. That was my reasoning behind a router with more range. I get a flat 50meg down on my front deck but at the end of my driveway it's only 1-2 meg.

What's the recommendation for a router that won't be using WiFi?

I have a UBNT AP that works wonderfully, and my Asus RT-N16 router just shit the bed, so I need a new one.
I pondered at getting an EdgeRouter Lite but it's WAY overkill for my home setup.

Just need a solid router with Gb that won't have it's WiFi enabled.

edit: I ended up just ordering a TP-LINK TL-WR1043ND V2. I just wont be putting the antennas on it or using the wireless at all.
http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WR1043ND-Wireless-Detachable-Antennas/dp/B002YLAUU8

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Looking for a good stock firmware home router (11n, 5-10 devices decent usage). Regarding TP-LINK, do you recommend the TL-WDR4300 over the TL-WDR3600? Thanks for any help!

Back