The Raspberry Pi 4 is here

I don't understand the Hdmi thing at all. You're forcing me to pay for an adapter. Micro HDMI is not super common so good connector will cost $4-5. And you're giving me a 2nd HDMI. Most of my PI projects are headless. This makes no sense. How about you go back to a single full HDMI and shave the price a bit.
I think the choice for them to put 2 micro HDMI ports on the Pi4 is a spectacular idea, and one that probably cost them next to nothing to implement while adding a much desired feature. Many people don't realize, the Pi is used in much more than small personal projects, it's used in machines/automation, digital signage/billboards, and even point of sale systems used for businesses. For digital signage, companies are now going to be able to drive twice as many screens with half as many Pi's. My wife works at a multi-national company that actually uses them to run an engraving machine. The dual monitor output while keeping the Pi the same form factor and low price is going to be a boon for several markets while at most adding the small inconvenience of a $2 adapter.

I've built quite setups using Pi Zero's from making headless wifi security cams to retro gaming consoles/handhelds and those use the mini hdmi plug. I'm used to having adapters on hand, but if I needed a new one they are only a couple bucks so no big deal. You might as well get one if you do a lot of these projects, and many of the starter kits already include them. The Pi 3B and Pi 3B+ are also on sale and will be continued to be sold just like the Pi 2 was before it. There are still use cases for both the Pi 2 and Pi 3B (non-plus model), mainly when you don't need as much CPU power and less power used/heat generated. For example... I use a Pi3B non-plus as an octopi print server for my 3D printer. Although a Pi Zero W would work, they can be a bit sluggish at times for this work. The Pi3B does everything I need to and I have zero reason to put a hot and power hungry Pi 3B+ or Pi 4 in it's place.

Last edited:
I think the choice for them to put 2 micro HDMI ports on the Pi4 is a spectacular idea, and one that probably cost them next to nothing to implement while adding a much desired feature. Many people don't realize, the Pi is used in much more than small personal projects, it's used in machines/automation, digital signage/billboards, and even point of sale systems used for businesses. For digital signage, companies are now going to be able to drive twice as many screens with half as many Pi's. My wife works at a multi-national company that actually uses them to run an engraving machine. The dual monitor output while keeping the Pi the same form factor and low price is going to be a boon for several markets while at most adding the small inconvenience of a $2 adapter.

I've built quite setups using Pi Zero's from making headless wifi security cams to retro gaming consoles/handhelds and those use the mini hdmi plug. I'm used to having adapters on hand, but if I needed a new one they are only a couple bucks so no big deal. You might as well get one if you do a lot of these projects, and many of the starter kits already include them. The Pi 3B and Pi 3B+ are also on sale and will be continued to be sold just like the Pi 2 was before it. There are still use cases for both the Pi 2 and Pi 3B (non-plus model), mainly when you don't need as much CPU power and less power used/heat generated. For example... I use a Pi3B non-plus as an octopi print server for my 3D printer. Although a Pi Zero W would work, they can be a bit sluggish at times for this work. The Pi3B does everything I need to and I have zero reason to put a hot and power hungry Pi 3B+ or Pi 4 in it's place.
The think is though if they did that, why not add a header for the second port and make a pigtail that goes full or micro hdmi. In fact do it for both. Reduce the price of the board but added cost in the pigtail(s) only for folks who need it. I think a lot of people hive mini-hdmis are in for a shock, though. I've seen more mini's on other devices except phones.

I let my hype die down and simmered on this for a while.

Definitely wanting a rPi4 but going to hold off for a few things first:

- Firmware update for temps
- Firmware update for direct USB booting
- Firmware/driver/etc update for graphics performance/issues.

The USB-C being designed out-of-spec is concerning, but probably not a deal-breaker. Who knows how long it will be before a 2nd revision is out.

The USB-C being designed out-of-spec is concerning, but probably not a deal-breaker. Who knows how long it will be before a 2nd revision is out.
I'm gonna do this mainly because I'm not going to kill myself finding one either. I figure about the time they're more available those should be mostly fixed.

The Temperature firmware update is already out. It lowers the temps anywhere from 1-5 degrees celsius.

I've been waiting for an upgrade to the RPi3+. But I'mma wait for a revision.

Now I'm looking at the Nanopi M4.
Nice storage speed. 6 cores. Better GPU and Android support.
I'll wait for raspberry for later.

Seems like one thing driving RaspberryPi is the blind devotion fans have.
There ARE other SBC.
Ive got 2 Pis myself, but I also have 2 Tinkerboards and several Odroids which destroy my RPi3+
in total, i have around 30 boards.
Favorite OS? Easily, Android, and Android on Pi is not worth it.
Don't get me wrong , I love raspian, but AndroidOS is the best for my needs.
Want great gaming and entertainment? XU4 Android has you covered.
Then my ShieldTV has sooooo much more than RPi4 as far as entertainment, and wasnt much more for what i got.
Im not building a robot.

There are other boards but since the following on the pi is so big,
It is easier to find tutorials, custom software and the like for the pi rather than the other boards. I had a pi first gen back in the day. Used it as a Linux web development server. It worked fine for that. I would assume that a lot of people buy these things because of the hype and their low price then never actually use them for anything. I remember when one laptop per child was around. A laptop for $100? Everyone wanted one just because of their knockout price even though realistically they would be a POS judging on them being so cheap.

what kind of moron would do this

You can use raspberry pi and an encrypted reader/pin pad to make a very secure POS system, without the need for PC's.

Most card solutions these days are going full E2EE and tokenization so the host doesn't matter much at all.

You can use raspberry pi and an encrypted reader/pin pad to make a very secure POS system, without the need for PC's.

Most card solutions these days are going full E2EE and tokenization so the host doesn't matter much at all.

just get square

You're not automagically PCI compliant because you use square. Also, some companies have the need for custom POS solutions past what square offers.

And those companies generally will contract that out to someone who isn't using 35 dollar raspberry pi's lol. Just saying, if i see a RPi in a store, i'm paying cash only.

And those companies generally will contract that out to someone who isn't using 35 dollar raspberry pi's lol. Just saying, if i see a RPi in a store, i'm paying cash only.
You won't see it...

Seems like one thing driving RaspberryPi is the blind devotion fans have.
There ARE other SBC.
Ive got 2 Pis myself, but I also have 2 Tinkerboards and several Odroids which destroy my RPi3+
in total, i have around 30 boards.
Favorite OS? Easily, Android, and Android on Pi is not worth it.
Don't get me wrong , I love raspian, but AndroidOS is the best for my needs.
Want great gaming and entertainment? XU4 Android has you covered.
Then my ShieldTV has sooooo much more than RPi4 as far as entertainment, and wasnt much more for what i got.
Im not building a robot.
Pay 3-4x more for Google to datamine me? Nah.

Definitely want to pick one of these up, looks like massive performance gains for emulators. Would prefer to buy a kit with just the heatsinks, case, board, and power supply, but all of them throw in microSD cards and other crap I don't need. And I don't see myself paying $100 for a kit.

Also, it's out of stock most places anyway so I guess I'll just wait.

Back