The PC Has No Future

HardOCP News

[H] News
I thought this guy was just trolling everyone until he actually bragged about predicting the demise of the PC before anyone else did. :rolleyes:

I've warned for years that connected-devices would diminish the personal computer's relevance, much like the mainframe's decline three decades ago. The PC era is over, as I asserted here 26 months ago. On Halloween 2008, I asked in a Microsoft Watch post: "Will your next PC be a smartphone?" What took Gartner so long? The "new device religion" analysis still misses the mark, too.

Yup. Clearly dead. My tablet can run circles around my main rig.

While I have no doubt the future is a phone that plugs into a tablet or into a dock for a full fledged OS (think ASUS Padfone but better) we're not there yet. Desktops still run circles around an ARM based SoC.

That's why I use the Android version of 3ds to render stuff. Id be doing sound mixing on the phone if it had decent I/O. Once phones have spdifs and stuff no more PC. :D

Funny that the mainframe is coming back with cloud computing.
Maybe he should try code his blog on a smartphone, much less make a game or animated film on a smartphone.

Stupid is stupid.

People are now into building their own PCs instead of buying trash of the shelves.

ahitchiker384c1.jpg

I've always found it downright insulting that we live in a world where people get paid to talk about stupid BS like this and I'm struggling to pay my bills. Also, let's see them switch to their phone or tablet to do 100% of their work on, especially typing papers out on. Then again they probably suck at using a PC badly enough that it's of no benefit to them.

People forget where all of this content originates from once they get comfortable with a device.
Console games and mobile apps are developed on PCs, but some people are quick to pull the plug on the the very source that creates the content for these devices.

No problem though. PC users will remain the creators while mobile users will continue to consume.

Here's my suggestion to all people claiming PC (a.k.a desktop) is dead.

Get rid of your desktop(s). All of them. PCs, Macs, Linuxes. All of them. Give them to charity, throw them into garbage, whatever. Then, use just your smart phone and tablet. See how that works for you in a 5-6 months.

While I have no doubt the future is a phone that plugs into a tablet or into a dock for a full fledged OS (think ASUS Padfone but better) we're not there yet.
Yeah, eventually a large number of people will just have a phone-type device that's also their PC (it'll be a PC, just in a different form factor). But the desktop PC will still be around, doing the heavy lifting to produce content for phones and other devices. Making the digital world turn.

Steve Jobs referred to desktops as "trucks". He asserted that there will always be a need for trucks to carry the heavy loads necessary to make the rest of the world work — and he was right.

Get rid of your desktop(s). All of them. PCs, Macs, Linuxes. All of them. Give them to charity, throw them into garbage, whatever. Then, use just your smart phone and tablet. See how that works for you in a 5-6 months.

Problem is...they will "make it work" even though their capability and productivity has been crushed. But at lest they have a pretty object the size of a deck of cards they can show to their friends.

I'm a PC enthusiast and I do agree with the guy to some level.

The PC is dying as a consumer computing device... but it won't ever die off completely.

Tablets, hybrid devices, and phones will eventually "be good enough" for the average Joe and even some light enthusiasts.

Will the PC evolve into a better computing device? That's what Windows 8 is all about... following the rest of the industry in segregating the hardware that can PRODUCE content from hardware that primarily CONSUMES content.

Windows RT, like iOS, is a consumer OS for consumer products geared for consumption and average joe work. It's the point-and-shoot camera of computing.

Windows 8, like Mac OS, is to computing what a DSLR camera is to photography.

Did DSLRs die? Nope. They evolved a little bit.

For your tablet, get a bluetooth keyboard...and odds are most people would actually be fairly happy. Most people only dick around on Faceplant, check their email, and light office usage....those same most people also probably also have a dedicated gaming console for any gaming more srs than Farmville.

People forget where all of this content originates from once they get comfortable with a device.
Console games and mobile apps are developed on PCs, but some people are quick to pull the plug on the the very source that creates the content for these devices.

Exactly, we are still far from being able to actually develop software from a phone or tablet, unless you got something like a big MS Surface connected via bluetooth or just use bluetooth keyboards and such.

I suppose if you let me keep the older interface options along with touch screens, and port my display then maybe. But you'll have to push COD4 to me from the Cloud.

For your tablet, get a bluetooth keyboard...and odds are most people would actually be fairly happy. Most people only dick around on Faceplant, check their email, and light office usage....those same most people also probably also have a dedicated gaming console for any gaming more srs than Farmville.

Don't forget, the Government, Military, etc will not go this route for a very very long time. It still adds up to enough sales to keep the PC hanging on for a good while longer.

I have to wonder who the idiots are that are making these statements.
The people that have ditched a PC or laptop for a tablet are facebookers and coupon hunters.
They DO NOT use a computer for anything productive and never will.
Grandmaws and girlie girls.

Now I myself am considering buying a tablet because there is a lot of down time reading I would like to do in a comfortable setting but the documents are electronic. I don't want to sit at a desk with a PC or hold a hot laptop in my lap for hours. A tablet is ideal.
But the idea it will supplant my workstation is laughable.

I'm a PC enthusiast and I do agree with the guy to some level.

The PC is dying as a consumer computing device... but it won't ever die off completely.

Nobody disputes that smartphones and tablets will take over SOME of the job from PCs - would be stupid to dispute that because that has already happened. Idiots like this guy are just making stuff up so they can appear to be working, though I still think it's ridiculous that anyone would be given a job to make stuff like this up. Even if it were to become true, why should someone be paid to predict it?

Tablets and phones have a very specific niche that they fit into, and they've never even really replaced a laptop, let alone a desktop.

A tablet is good for media/internet interaction. It's basically designed for consumption, and a tablet is ok for sharing it with others, as it's easy to see and simple to hand off to someone.

But I would never, ever try to do much more than that with one. That's what a full computer is for.

An even better test would be to get someone who says shit like this excited about a new laptop and get them to buy it. Then ask him if he thinks the PC is dead. He'll say "no", because his laptop will be his shiny new device for that moment. I think the biggest reason we hear this all the time is because the people saying it just bought a new phone or tablet, and forgot what it feels like to put the finishing touches on a self built PC, or to set up a completely new laptop.

I have to wonder who the idiots are that are making these statements.
The people that have ditched a PC or laptop for a tablet are facebookers and coupon hunters.
They DO NOT use a computer for anything productive and never will.
Grandmaws and girlie girls.

Now I myself am considering buying a tablet because there is a lot of down time reading I would like to do in a comfortable setting but the documents are electronic. I don't want to sit at a desk with a PC or hold a hot laptop in my lap for hours. A tablet is ideal.
But the idea it will supplant my workstation is laughable.

^^ My thoughts exactly. This will sure phase out PC's.... yeah netbooks. My wife wants to get a tablet to replace her netbook, not her PC.

The desktop PC has been dead for years because it doesn't have a GPS, motion sensors, or apps. All it has are programs and versus apps, who even wants some ancient old "program" anyway?

"Will your next PC be a smartphone?"

No. In courties where wifi is actually the internet backbone it could be realistic but no way I will ever have my access limited by the crap cellular coverage, exorbitant data costs and limited device portability. That is without even considering the size restrictions of phones. Tablets however are much closer the the future since they have the size to contain the peripheral connectivity any real PC needs.

It'll die when control superior to the mouse and keyboard are common place, which already exists to an extent, just isn't commercially viable yet.

No problem though. PC users will remain the creators while mobile users will continue to consume.

Sounds a lot like what North Korea is doing. They don't need anything elses' help now that they've got mobile nukes for testing.

PC decline...I have a tablet, a smart phone and I'm still sitting for hours at home behind my PC...decline my ass.

People are now into building their own PCs instead of buying trash of the shelves.

Only now? I've been building my own PC's since my 386-20 back in 1986.

Just realized I've been building PC's for over half my life :)

My first Micron 386 was given to me in around early 90s. It was the first machine that I opened up and upgraded the RAM in so I could play Doom without having to disable Windows 3.11 on start up via the autoexec.bat :p The first PC I build was my 100mhz 486, which means I've been upgrading and building my own PC for ruffly two thirds of my life :D

I've always found it downright insulting that we live in a world where people get paid to talk about stupid BS like this and I'm struggling to pay my bills. Also, let's see them switch to their phone or tablet to do 100% of their work on, especially typing papers out on. Then again they probably suck at using a PC badly enough that it's of no benefit to them.

Most people do not do any real work on a computer.

knew it! time to set both of my macbook pro & pc on fire good day to you gentlemen! :mad:

This guy needs to get out of his mom basement and join the work force like everyone. Then he will see PC desktop isn't dead yet.

I would love to see how you would manage servers on a tablet, better yet programming.

"good enough" is not good enough

enough said.....

Sucked-up in his own, single-minded, one direction, . I thought the was only supposed to be spewing? Oh, that is what he's doing...hey! I rhymed! :D

My tablet and phone have definitely replaced my PC... when I'm in bed or on the toilet.

Back