The official Warhammer 40,000 Space Marine Thread

So how are people feeling about this game these days?
Its pretty good, but lack of dedicated servers and lag is killing it for me. I'm in Australia, so perhaps that's making the lag issue worse, though it seems a lot of people all over the world are having issues. The host selection is terrible, matchmaking average at best with no options, you just click join match and it forces you into whatever game it feels like.

If you took away those issues, the game would be awesome. The gameplay mechanics are really fun, the feel of being a huge burly bioengineered monstrosity who weighs as much as an SUV yet is still more nimble than your average man is portrayed really well.

The mix of melee and shooting works really well. Its not COD style instant kill knife in the back melee, its heavy powerful swings of a sword/axe/hammer that feels very satisfying. And the game manages to stay pretty well balanced across all load outs despite having a nice range of big heavy ranged combat of a devestator, nimble melee combat of the assault marine and flexibility of the tac marine. Alot of games the classes just feel a bit gimicky, you have the soldier, the medic, the engineer, etc. Space Marine classes are ALL combat orientated yet still feel unique and balanced.

The game is let down by lack of maps and game modes. All the environments are drab forge world style, and though the futuristic gothic is cool, after a while it can start to feel a bit same-ish. It'd be awesome to see some jungle maps, or maybe some ork infested worlds, some chaos lands, a tyranid biomass world, an eldar craftworld, etc etc etc. 40k is FULL of amazing environments that would make EPIC multiplayer maps, but instead all we get is gothic forge world. And as I said above, the lag is a killer, which is really a shame, I want to recommend the game to my friends but I can't because I know lag will be a problem.

But yeah, the game is good, I'd love to recommend the MP but I can't thanks to bugs and lag, but the singleplayer is great and definitely worth a buy when it drops in price a bit. If you're willing to take a gamble with lag, it might even be worth buying now to enjoy the MP content too.
My problem was not being able to split them up. I thought throughout the wave that the best strat would be to kill them one or 2 at a time, but they all just stayed in the spawn area of Hab Center that was covered by a roof that protected them from ground pounds. When we would try singling one out, we would get blasted by plasma rifles of the other 30 or so Chaos marines.

Yeah, I dont have a lot of experience in the Hab Center to be honest. I finished wave 21 on the other map, forgot the name, the one with the bridges.

I do know some people take lascannons for the Hab Center, maybe what you describe is why people like lascannons, coz on the map I played, hammers and heavy bolters were superior as the chaos marines spawned in quite a few different areas, making it easy to target groups of ~4 marines at a time. But if the Chaos Marines are huddling in the spawn area, someone who is decent at getting headshots with a lascannon might be able to thin them out from a distance, though I honestly dont know how many lascannon headshots it takes to kill a chaos marine, might be worth a try. Make sure someone is playing hammer-marine to keep the lascannon dude covered from melee, and dont waste your ammo, it goes really quickly when you start missing headshots.

Ok, I just beat the 21st wave on Hab Center too, it wasn't too hard. We had 1 dude with a plasma cannon, 2 dudes with hammers and one a tac marine. I myself was rocking hammer + killing blow, it makes pretty short work of the chaos marines, 2 or 3 swings and they're dead.

We didn't get the problem of them hunkering down in their spawn too much, at most there were 15 in there at one time, you just quickly ground pound in to disturb them, maybe kill one and fly away and it starts to break them up and force them out of their spawn. Try and isolate any of the hammer dudes, they were the only things that killed me because a couple of times I tried to take on 2 hammer dudes at once or was getting shot while getting hammered.

But yeah, it wasn't really that hard, I would say the hardest part is when you have to capture the 3 points in the last arena rather than the actual chaos attack, those points are pretty tough, we only just capped the last one in overtime. Those big nobz are pretty hard too, the big heavy ones that are harder to stun that you get on the final arena can destroy your group pretty quick if you get 2 or 3 at a time.

I'm also surprised how powerful the bolt pistol is, aiming for the head I managed to take out a couple of chaos marines with the bolt pistol alone while waiting for them to get closer so I could hammer them.

The hardest thing is when your group isn't coherant or you have people who waste their class by picking a load out that they think is cool rather than one that is useful. After struggling to get past arena 3 so many times I thought exterminatus was hard until I got on to decent teams and just breezed through all 21 waves. I thought maybe it was because I got on a team of exceptionally skilled people, but then I noticed I was getting both the most kills and the highest score, so they weren't really any better than me and I'm not that exceptionally skilled... so I just assume most people are so crap or too greedy that it makes it far harder than it needs to be. Both the teams I've been on where we got through all 21 waves we weren't even using voice chat, so it goes to show that its not even hard enough to require full coordination within the group.

Last edited:
This one flew completely under my radar, how is coop? Thats my only deciding factor.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
So I just started playing space marine last night on 'medium' difficulty but am finding it fairly easy early on thanks to all the hand holding game mechanics which have crept into games generally, e.g. regenerative health and ability to replenish health at will.

Does the game get any harder later on or am I better restarting off on 'hard'?

Last edited:
Just play on hard. I played on hard from the beginning and I think I died every now and then, but still got through pretty easily. I think the mechanics themselves are solid and I like the way you replenish health when you kill things, they just unfortunately made the game too easy on singleplayer and too laggy in multiplayer.

The game was actually on sale at Greenman Gaming for only $12 a couple of days ago, back to $25 now.

Thanks for the input Tudz, I indeed got it for $12 during the GMG sale. Seems like a fun game and good value for a mere $12.

I bought it and have only played MP so far, and yea the matchmaking and P2P only system makes the experience "inconsistent" to say the least. This was actually the main reason I went from considering a pre-order to finally buying it during the GMG sale.

I got this during the Steam holiday sales and loved it. It was in now way a perfect game but it just worked for me. I loved the weight of everything... The "THUMP THUMP THUMP" of the bolter. The way the world shakes when you pound someone with a melee weapon. And the thunder hammer, oh my, what fun.

Yeah, through my HD650s the sound in this game is friggin insane. Some people had said the bolter sounds a bit weak, but through my headphones the pounding of the gunfire is really powerful and visceral. The matchmaking system just drives me insane, I put about 70 hours into this game before deciding it wasn't worth it anymore. A dedicated server system or even a proper matchmaking system and this game could have been a lot more popular.

Yeah, through my HD650s the sound in this game is friggin insane. Some people had said the bolter sounds a bit weak, but through my headphones the pounding of the gunfire is really powerful and visceral. The matchmaking system just drives me insane, I put about 70 hours into this game before deciding it wasn't worth it anymore. A dedicated server system or even a proper matchmaking system and this game could have been a lot more popular.

Thats my only gripe with the game. I do like the system where if you are playing on a server with a bunch of your friends you can move as a group to a different server. But the actual system is poor (it's also the sysem they used in DoW2). You don't normally find an unplayable game, but it would be nice to even set filters of which map you wanted to play on. Hopefully they can patch something in..but as they haven't for DoW2 in who knows how long, i'm expecting this soon. :(

There's a new DLC coming on January 24th bringing in the Dreadnought!

http://www.spacemarine.com/blog-post/dreadnoughts-coming-warhammer-40000-space-marine

So they split the player base with one DLC that should of been in the original game, now they are going to split the player base even farther with another DLC that should of been in the original game.

Lets not forgot the cluster-freak they call multiplayer, sick of lagtastic games because they are to cheap to implement a decent system.

For those that are interested here is a interesting article about the development and choices made by Relic when creating the game: Warhammer 40K: The Space Marines That Never Were.

I disagree with how the article says they got the feel of a space marine right. The game makes you feel like a very tall human in armor, not a superhuman in power armor. couple issues I really disliked:

1) 6" ledges stopping you in your tracks.
2) A forge world is very heavily fortified, it would take hundreds of millions of orks to even have a chance of landing onto the planet, the game should of taken place on a hive world.
3) I never got the feeling that my character had superhuman attributes, they should of had bullet time every time you zoomed so you could do 5 headshots in 2 seconds type of actions.
4) Taking multiple shots to kill guardsmen and normal orks, bolters fire a .987 caliber round which explodes when it penetrates something, feels like I was firing an over sized glock 9mm
5) I could go on and on, I really hope they dont screw up the MMO like they did this game.

So they split the player base with one DLC that should of been in the original game, now they are going to split the player base even farther with another DLC that should of been in the original game.

Lets not forgot the cluster-freak they call multiplayer, sick of lagtastic games because they are to cheap to implement a decent system.

P2P matching-making with an <1100 peak player base worldwide soon to be split between 11 game modes. Fun times :p

This was actually something I was hoping they would touch upon in the article.

I disagree with how the article says they got the feel of a space marine right. The game makes you feel like a very tall human in armor, not a superhuman in power armor. couple issues I really disliked:

2) A forge world is very heavily fortified, it would take hundreds of millions of orks to even have a chance of landing onto the planet, the game should of taken place on a hive world.
3) I never got the feeling that my character had superhuman attributes, they should of had bullet time every time you zoomed so you could do 5 headshots in 2 seconds type of actions.
4) Taking multiple shots to kill guardsmen and normal orks, bolters fire a .987 caliber round which explodes when it penetrates something, feels like I was firing an over sized glock 9mm
5) I could go on and on, I really hope they dont screw up the MMO like they did this game.

I think they did quite well at creating the feel of a Space Marine, movement has a weight to it like you'd expect from a huge, heavy Space Marine, without feeling restrictive or making you feel slow.

As you said, level design needs some work. I was quite disappointed the whole game took place in a Forge World.

Multiple shots to kill normal orks, I see that more as a balance thing and it doesn't really bother me too much. Orks are supposed to be tough as nails. A single headshot should take them out, but other than that it doesn't really bother me that it takes a few rounds to kill and ork. Guardsmen, I don't remember when you actually shot guardsmen in the single player? There was the cultists who were pretty squishy and died easily but packed a lot of punch if a few of them were shooting at you at once, which felt appropriate to me.

I've only purchased the game recently so my experience is limited to playing the demo and the first levels of the full game (to verify it runs properly on my machine), reading as much as I found on the game and the article I posted.

1) I don't see this as too much as a hindrance since the game was designed as being linear (which does not equate to bad in my book).
2) You have a point, but in the article it is explained that Relic chose to set the game in a Force World rather than a Hive World because of the issues of having to materialize population.
3) This point is subjective. I don't think I would enjoy having Bullet Time mechanics implemented in the game. I find the portrayal of Titus and his squad mates to give an impression of heaviness and power. In my opinion they did the right thing going "all balls and no cover".
4) I agree they could have gone a bit further with this, but it seems they made this choice for legitimate reasons -- if the Orcs (or other) were that easy to kill, they would have to generate more enemies on screen. We must not forget that this game was designed for consoles.
5)Watch out on the MMO; THQ are having financial issues and it might get canceled. Regardless I must disagree that this game is a screw up.

All in all, I think they did justice to the 40K universe. Relic had to make some sacrifices here and there but they seem to have done it for legitimate reasons. And if it can reassure you check out that video of the other Space Marine game that was in development and canned before Relic was asked to develop the game...

I want a "battlefield" mode with at least 32 players a side and vehicles and that kind of thing...:D

3) I never got the feeling that my character had superhuman attributes, they should of had bullet time every time you zoomed so you could do 5 head shots in 2 seconds type of actions.

1) Gameplay element. If you could blow up walls and run around like in "real life" or fly out the arena in a jetpack it would be silly too. Need to have some kind of constraint.
2) Not really. Some of the populations listed for forgeworlds are as low as 80m. Think about car factories, lots of it's going to be automated. Would take millions more orks to take over a hive world (lowest listed population of 25 billion. (see Armageddon).
3) Most of spacemarines listed superhuman abilities are things like being stronger, taking more damage and surviving poisons and things that kill normal humans. But they can't barehand fight a tank. Lots of stuff would make the game overly easy. But, you can trigger the overkill meter thing later on in the story and take lots of shots in slow motion.
4) The cultists aren't really normal people, and could have powers from whatever, guardsmen do have armor on. Would make the game way too easy if you could one shot kill everyone.
5) Wish they'd included moar tanks.

1) Still doesn't explain why running into a little bump that I can walk over, makes me stop running.
2) Forge worlds are some of the most heavily defended planets due to how crucial they are to the war.
3) With a power-fist, a space marine actually can take on a tank.
4) cultists are the normal crazy ones, they are cannon fodder for the smarter chaos worshipers. guardsmen are the same pretty much. Anything tougher then the basic enemies I could agree with needing an extra shot or two.
5) Wish they included terminator armor, dreadnaughts, moar tanks, guard walkers, etc.. :)

Edit: Reading the lore and books kinda spoiled the experience for me, I bet I would of enjoyed the game much more if I wasn't so interesting in the 40k universe.

I want a "battlefield" mode with at least 32 players a side and vehicles and that kind of thing...:D

1) Gameplay element. If you could blow up walls and run around like in "real life" or fly out the arena in a jetpack it would be silly too. Need to have some kind of constraint.
2) Not really. Some of the populations listed for forgeworlds are as low as 80m. Think about car factories, lots of it's going to be automated. Would take millions more orks to take over a hive world (lowest listed population of 25 billion. (see Armageddon).
3) Most of spacemarines listed superhuman abilities are things like being stronger, taking more damage and surviving poisons and things that kill normal humans. But they can't barehand fight a tank. Lots of stuff would make the game overly easy. But, you can trigger the overkill meter thing later on in the story and take lots of shots in slow motion.
4) The cultists aren't really normal people, and could have powers from whatever, guardsmen do have armor on. Would make the game way too easy if you could one shot kill everyone.
5) Wish they'd included moar tanks.

Pretty much sums up my sentiments exactly!

1) Still doesn't explain why running into a little bump that I can walk over, makes me stop running.
2) Forge worlds are some of the most heavily defended planets due to how crucial they are to the war.
4) cultists are the normal crazy ones, they are cannon fodder for the smarter chaos worshipers. guardsmen are the same pretty much. Anything tougher then the basic enemies I could agree with needing an extra shot or two.
5) Wish they included terminator armor, dreadnaughts, moar tanks, guard walkers, etc.. :)

Edit: Reading the lore and books kinda spoiled the experience for me, I bet I would of enjoyed the game much more if I wasn't so interesting in the 40k universe.

I'm not super into the lore, but I have been into the games on and off for 15 or so years and I find Space Marine to be fine. Sure, it doesn't follow the lore entirely, but hell, the lore is constantly changing anyway.

If you can't enjoy Space Marine because it doesn't follow the lore entirely, you must absolutely hate the table top game, where a Space Marine is only worth the same as 2 and half Orks. :p

1) Game engine setup.
2) From the way everything looks, all the fighting is happening elsewhere or most people are dead. According to the lore, orks stay where the fighting is. If everyone is dead and theres little resistance left, they would have gone elsewhere to fight other people.
3) Powerfists aren't bare hands. With a powerfist a normal human can take on a tank. :p
4) Chaos powers are like wizards, they can do anything. Running in and one shotting everyone would just be a load of system resources for 2 seconds of 0 challenge!
5)Theres dreadnaughts now! Terminator armor would add teleporting, and as they are out on their own, they wouldn't be able to swap into it, so no jump packs and the usuable guns would be limited to 3. But there needs to be a remake of space hulk...(as a DLC) :D (also more games without the space marines and orks, need the more exotic people/creatures as the main focus!)

One thing knowing about the lore does is allow you to spot when it appears in other things... For example look at the "story" of halo. It's pretty much space marine lore extremely dumbed down for 10 year old morons.

The game does not use the Unreal Engine, but Relic's Phoenix Engine.

Edit: You ninja edited your post.

The game does not use the Unreal Engine, but Relic's Phoenix Engine.

Edit: You ninja edited your post.

I wasn't thinking. Someone I know is doing some space marine mod something in the unreal engine (or something along those lines) so I associated those in my mind before coming to senses! :D

q

I agree on the ledges thing, that was goofy.
On point 2, didnt Drogan sabotage some things so the Orks/Chaos could get in?

Is that Chaos Unleashed?

No, although chaos unleashed is co-op!

They released the coop mode shortly after release like they said they would, Exterminatus, unless you are referring to something else?

A little while back just before the dreadnaught pack the devloper said something about being able to play the main storyline in co-op. That would be great if it ever happened! :D

No, although chaos unleashed is co-op!

A little while back just before the dreadnaught pack the devloper said something about being able to play the main storyline in co-op. That would be great if it ever happened! :D

Yes that was 1 of the 3 main "misses" I thought the game had. The entire game play setup and campaign setup seemed perfectly suitable to tack on coop with someone else playing your NPC allies. The only thing gameplay wise that would really need tweaking is the slowdowns from executions and marksman fury.

I enjoyed the demo back when this came out but wasn't sure about the game at full price. $15 is a no brainer. Done deal.

Yes that was 1 of the 3 main "misses" I thought the game had. The entire game play setup and campaign setup seemed perfectly suitable to tack on coop with someone else playing your NPC allies. The only thing gameplay wise that would really need tweaking is the slowdowns from executions and marksman fury.

Theyd also have to add the second player to some of the later sections too. Like the bits after you get dropped off on the tower, and random odd bits like boss battles. It would be nice if they added a whole other co-op story campain...:D

Also...there is 3 marines...(+1 random other) 4 player might be possible, though that would make it way too easy. Probably another thing which needs some tweaking!

It does seem kind of odd they didn't just include it to start with!

I just bought the Dreadnaught DLC for cheap from THQ. Is there a population to support it? I bought Chaos Unleashed a while back and got frustrated often when I entered Chaos Unleased multiplayer ques only to get placed in the standard maps.

What's the DLC like? It's on sale at the moment. Thinking of picking it up. Is anyone playing the DLC levels or is the game a ghost town now?

Anniversary Edition was just released as a free update for existing owners of the game. There is no update to the game itself, it just includes swag and all the DLC. It is not a new game; if you already own the game there will be a 1.8GB update that will add all the content.

1632415071480.png

Back