The Official HP w2207/w2007 Thread

I've been considering a 226BW ...Went to the local BB and ... Picked it up for the same price as the Samsung (on sale) ...

How did you get the price matched to the 226bw at BB? I want this monitor, but it's $379 at the BB here and I refuse to pay that when others are buying it at CC for $90 less (unfortunately, no CC within 100 miles of me).

Some enlightenment would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Have any of you guys tried HDCP compliance? OPPO, a manufacturer of good upconverting DVD players, say that this feature is flaky with the w2207. I was the first in this thread to buy this monitor, without seeing it at all, just based on its little predecessor, the w19b which blew me away. This is an awsome monitor, but I don't have the means to check its HDCP compliance, so I am going to relegate it to you guys to give the final verdict.

thanks.

How did you get the price matched to the 226bw at BB? I want this monitor, but it's $379 at the BB here and I refuse to pay that when others are buying it at CC for $90 less (unfortunately, no CC within 100 miles of me).

Some enlightenment would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Go to Circuit City's website and print out their page for the 226BW.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sams...70984/catOid/-12965/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Then click on the link that says 'see sale price in cart'. The revealed sale price in the pop up window should say...

Samsung 22” Widescreen Monitor (226BW)
SAM 226BW Price was: $379.99
You save: -$50.00

You pay: $329.99

Print that out as well. Take both printouts to BB and ask for a price match.

I will be an owner of this monitor soon........ I will be coming from LG 19 inch widescreen. Is it a huge difference when size is concern?

Go to Circuit City's website and print out their page for the 226BW.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sams...70984/catOid/-12965/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Then click on the link that says 'see sale price in cart'. The revealed sale price in the pop up window should say...

Samsung 22” Widescreen Monitor (226BW)
SAM 226BW Price was: $379.99
You save: -$50.00

You pay: $329.99

Print that out as well. Take both printouts to BB and ask for a price match.

Thanks for the info and quick reply, but I guess my previous post wasn't very clear:
  1. I actually want to buy the HP w2207, but want to know how nvteleskier got BB to lower the price from $379 to the same level as the 226bw ($329)
  2. My Best Buy will not price match Circuit City because they are not a local competitor (no CC stores here)

I did print out the CC price before I went to BestBuy. The closest CC is 50 miles away in Reno. The sales guy at BB actually knew that CC had the HP2207 on sale and I don't remember actually showing them the printout.

I believe CC has free shipping on this monitor, you can check their website.

Good luck, it's worth the trouble.

Thanks for the info and quick reply, but I guess my previous post wasn't very clear:
  1. I actually want to buy the HP w2207, but want to know how nvteleskier got BB to lower the price from $379 to the same level as the 226bw ($329)
  2. My Best Buy will not price match Circuit City because they are not a local competitor (no CC stores here)

Ah understood, my apologies for the misread. Well point number two really stinks and puts you in a bit of a bind. If you're still adamant about getting a price match at BB the only thing I can suggest is to go back and bump up your request to a supervisor or manager (if you haven't already done that). Another strategy might be to time your trip to a different day & time when you're certain the same person who previously turned you down won't be there (not everyone is so hard nosed when it comes to these kinds of policies).

Unless you're willing to gas up and put up with a three to four hour road trip take nvteleskier's advice and order the W2207 from CC online and take advantage of their free shipping offer (three day shipping only costs $5).

Debating on returning my Samsung 226BW "A" for this 22" LCD. Is it worth it?
is it worth it? hummm seeing as some previous 226BW owners have admitted that it is better. i would have to say YES!.
the only one's who don't like it, are the one's who hate glossy finish. as for me i love it. only wish thier was 24" version:(
when i went to go get mine. i was going to CC to get something eles. but when i saw it, right next to 3 orther 22" (LG,SAMSUNG,ACER,) the choice was easy HP by far had a much clearer and sharper image all around:)

I'd have to say that the glossy screen was one of my biggest concerns when I purchased my w2207. I've got a window in my den that is directly behind me and I was worred that the glare from the glossy would be unbearible. However, it hasn't even been an issue at all. Yes, I can see the window reflecting from the glossy screen but I really have to focus on it. It has not been a distraction whatsoever.

Have any of you tried the OSD setting "quickview". It has 5 options, movie, photo, gaming, text and custom. Ive had mine set to text (looks sweet) but havent tried any of the others. Has anyone tried different settings? Does gaming give you a better response rate when gaming?

Can someone post their spyder setting for the colors... I would really like see what this monitor has to offer without spending the money at the moment... and no one here carries the spyder...

Thanks
John

Just got a stuck pixel on mine. Just one... tried several different methods of getting rid of it, nothing works yet. Using UDPixel right now. *crosses fingers*

Only had this for a few days, so will return to CC if this doesn't work. Anyone successfully returned one to CC?

i returned mine a few days ago and was charged $50 for a restock fee. i was told when i bought it that if i returned a defective unit, no restock fee was charged. they lied. i won't be doing business with circuit city again. it's stictly best buy or frys now.

Yeah, definately just go with a DVI cable. I've never had a problem having one since I've used the ones from old monitors.

And how could I go about changing this into a tv/gaming station?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815260001

How would that be? Any good alternatives or anything that you guys use?

Wild.. sorry for the delay in looking into this... its been very hectic around here lately.

Ok... I hate to say it but I'm not impressed with my initial review of the KWorld 1440 TV Box hooked up to the w2207. Max resolution is 1440 x 900. I tried 4:3 and 16:10 aspect ratios and although the 4:3 looked a bit better, overall the picture is still pretty rough. Colors are way over saturated, images are either blurry or have ragged edges, and text is difficult to read. Now I spent maybe 10 minutes with it, trying various color, hue, contrast, etc. settings and I wasn't able to see much improvement.

I've got a TV card here that I'll put in my computer and take a look at television using that card. I'm wondering if the card will show a big improvement since it 'may' take advantage of the HP display drivers and i'll be able to view TV via the DVI input since it'll be sending the signal through my video card.

If I get a chance i'll give that a try this weekend.

i returned mine a few days ago and was charged $50 for a restock fee. i was told when i bought it that if i returned a defective unit, no restock fee was charged. they lied. i won't be doing business with circuit city again. it's stictly best buy or frys now.

Well, if you RETURN a defective item, there is a restockign fee. If you EXCHANGE a defective unit for another of the same, then there isn't.

Edit: Of course, that only holds true for the first 14 days.

Dont buy circuit city! I listed a few pages back how to get the w2207 for $289.99 at best buy.

syclick, i specifically asked about a restocking fee regarding the return of a defective unit. i was told there was no fee for returning a defective unit. that untruth is what riled me. if it's defective, they can not box it up and sell it. i can fully understand a restocking fee for returning a good unit because it can be sold as an open-box sale.

I've been considering a 226BW and even ordered one from the Egg, but canceled when I realized I might get an "A" panel. Went to the local BB and went thru their inventory looking for an "S". While waiting for the salesman to check the last unit in stock, I was looking at the HP 2207. Wow! I like it. Picked it up for the same price as the Samsung (on sale) and I've had it for 4 days and I'm totally satisfied. No dead pixels, and everything I've tried looks terrific. I had (sold in less than one day at work) a Viewsonic VX922, which was pretty good. But bigger is better!
I'm using a DVI cable, I think the colors look fantastic. I've used it with C&C3, FSX, Fear, LFS, and HL Episode 1. I thought there might be a ghosting issue, especially with LFS (Live for Speed), but it looks terrific. Watched a few movies, the fact that it has small bands of black on the top and bottom doesn't bother me at all.

I'd have to say I give it 5 stars!!! :D
The only con I would have is if I go to Costco and they have it for $50 less!

is it a ISP PANEL OR A MVA PANEL brcause i want to buy one,,,,tyvm:) :) :) :) is this a dell 2007wfp

I bought my display totally in blind faith. I guess it must've been my lucky hour because the unit is perfect as far as lack of any manufacturing defects are concerned. There is a 15% restocking fee if you return your display. But if you just exchange or switch to a more expensive unit, there's no restocking fee withing the allotted 14 days. I fully agree with those who say that this period should be extended to 30 days. However CC may have a point in that why should they let anyone burn the monitor for 30 days 2-6 or more hours per day. No matter how one looks at this situation, buying a monitor is lottery. The technology is good, but manufacturing has its flaws. Even though the blueprints and processes are the same for each unit, differences occur, sometimes major. Mine has no bad or stuck pixels, but the next monitor in the same batch could have 10 or more or it may simply kiss off after a few days or months. This wouldn't at all mean that the w2207 is a bad monitor, just that some percentage of the entire production will have issues. Too bad that consumers have to put up with the aggravation that results. And yeah, some real calibration may be necessary. Though I like strong vibrant colors, realistic colors are even better. This monitor is fantastic, but natural colors out of the box won't be rendered, especially in digital mode. No sweat, I'll do it because of the monitor's exceptional performance. IMHO, it even beats some of the better Mac monitors. I too was a bit worried about the glossy finish, however it bothers me precious little. I think most of you would agree.

I hope HP won't ever recur to panel lottery. Samsung should learn from the debacle with the 226. Will they? Don't know, Dell did not from theirs. This is why I don't buy from Dell.

mines also feb, if u look under info in the monitor settings there's a version number. mines gtmv 1.4

just took a look at my date. outside the box it says march2007 and firmware is at gtmv1.4.
all looks good zero dead pixels:)

So which TN panel is in this exactly? i mean who makes it?

also, someone had mentioned earlier that this has an anti-glare type glossy display or something? So this has a sharp glossy look but something special to keep the glare particularily down? I would have loved to get a Samsung 226bw without the problems (or something like the Dell 2007wfp for that matter), and technically all cases concerned this could be it, only issue is that it has the glossy screen.

So this is a 6bit TN panel, much like all other 22" out there?

Damnit, I'm ringing HP NZ tomorrow to see when this is will be available in New Zealand....

So which TN panel is in this exactly? i mean who makes it?

also, someone had mentioned earlier that this has an anti-glare type glossy display or something? So this has a sharp glossy look but something special to keep the glare particularily down? I would have loved to get a Samsung 226bw without the problems (or something like the Dell 2007wfp for that matter), and technically all cases concerned this could be it, only issue is that it has the glossy screen.
if your still thinking of getting a sammy or a hell lcd. but worried about which panel you will end up with. i sugguest you go to your local CC store. thier you will most likely find this HP lcd monitor next to the sammy along with a few orthers. and then let your EyE's decided and forget about all the specs. specs for the most part only look good on paper. i say let your EyE's do the talking. the EyE's don't lie:)

besides what good is it, if your lcd has all of the best specs if you EyE's say yuck,

if your still thinking of getting a sammy or a hell lcd. but worried about which panel you will end up with. i sugguest you go to your local CC store. thier you will most likely find this HP lcd monitor next to the sammy along with a few orthers. and then let your EyE's decided and forget about all the specs. specs for the most part only look good on paper. i say let your EyE's do the talking. the EyE's don't lie:)

besides what good is it, if your lcd has all of the best specs if you EyE's say yuck,

I was just wondering: why EyE's; why not just eyes?

that really doesnt address what i asked at all though. I didn't even ask for specs per se, i just wanted to know what TN panel specifically is in this one, and whether it's the same as the Samsung one or a newer one.

ChakkaSol: Just about right. Brightness 82, Contrast 86. Remember though, the differences may be due to differences between our eyes.

Pilky: I got my DVI cable from Radio Shack, $10. Very high quality.

Can't get enough of this monitor. Even after 3 weeks I rave and marvel. I don't play games, but I have more than enough benchmarks to take into account. I'm in awe. I also keep my old LCD monitor beside the HP just for comparison so that when I get complacent be reminded where I came from. What about a 24 inch glossy monitor next time, HP?

should the colors on the bottom of the screen be a lot lighter "almost faded in appearance" then the colors then on the top of the screen. i have played with the color setting but it still a lot lighter on the bottom of the screen.

should the colors on the bottom of the screen be a lot lighter "almost faded in appearance" then the colors then on the top of the screen. i have played with the color setting but it still a lot lighter on the bottom of the screen.

my colors look even/same thru the whole screen. no washout here:)

I too am using a DVI cable from an earlier monitor (a Princeton 19" LCD) that came with the monitor. It works fine. I think someone can spend a hundred bucks on a cable that touts an impressive list of specifications but often a 10 dollar cable meets the requirements and anything beyond that is overkill.

what settings are you guys using for this monitor for the best picture quality? brightness/contrast/RGB, etc?

Back