The Official HP w2207/w2007 Thread

"SpoogeMonkey", the $40 off $199+ purchase coupon at Circuit City was a coupon that was mailed to people. I didn't get one in the mail (dunno why), so I just did a google search for "circuit city $40 coupon", and a pdf was in the first link.

Circuit City usually doesn't allow coupon printouts to be used, but if you're lucky and get a nice cashier/salesperson (as I did), they may let you use it. Guess I got lucky. Good luck.

Can someone place a picture of windows desktop on this display.
I have an old 17" display and i ant to know how the windows desktop lokes like on a 22" widescreen.

I wish someone could translate that review. I'll try a Google job on it, see what happens...

here is just a snipit from the review
"Who is then now the better monitor? The Samsung 226FEDERAL ARMED FORCES or the HP W2207? The question can be hard answered. The monitor HP scores with the pure image quality and the Farbbrillianz. On account of the glossy display he probably has the best image quality of all 22nd TFTs."

To everyone who owns the HP in this thread, do you have some back light bleeding and where is it located. Thanks, just trying to decide if mine is about normal or if I should try another.

I am planning to get this monitor but I do alot of programming and am not sure a glossy LCD would be a good idea. Anyone have any experience with this ?

I too wish for a translation. I have some background but not nearly enough to translate the article. In a nutshell as far as what I could make out of it, it is quite favorable. However the photos, though show the very noticeable difference with the Sammy don't do much justice to the w2207. The only thing one can really see is the great difference in details. Colors too, but not to the extent of the real difference.

And yes, the w2207 has backlight bleeding just as all consumer grade LCD panels, but slight, and mine at least is very uniformly distributed throughout the panel so it's not bothersome at all. The bleeding is on par with the expensive 24" S-PVA 8 bit panels, and even better than some of those.

Someone wrote that the LED lit TN panels will be better than the currently fluorescent lit ones. That's true, butI doubt that it'll help bleeding since I don't think LED lighting will greatly improve on the main problem with this technology: the way light is bent by the liquid cristal particles' lattice. I am not going to extend on these principles. You can get more info by simply searching via google. Granted, there will be even better brightness and lighting uniformity, but I think that will be it. Who knows, I may be very much disproven in the near future.

Farbbrillianz? Du bist aus Deutschland?

SpoogeMonkey: S. Utah? Are you in St. George? I did my first 2 1/5 years of EE at the U of Utah/SLC. Great years of my life, totally flored by the majesty of geography and met lots of great people.

One should be careful when guiding himself by photos of panels online. Your panel's bleeding is added to that of the panel's in the photo. Therefore it's not a very good option. And so is estimating clarity and color. Your panel's problems will add to the online image. If your panel's resolution is not so high, even though the photo is taken at high resolution, you'll see it at YOUR resolution and YOUR panel's color capabilities. The only real way to judge is to go to a store and see the monitor working live. In my case I did not see it but I saw the w19b with its great picture. I thought that the w2207's could only be an improvement over the former's. My intuition didn't fail me this time.

I am planning to get this monitor but I do alot of programming and am not sure a glossy LCD would be a good idea. Anyone have any experience with this ?
I use Visual Studio extensively for school work and I am very happy with the IDE on the w2207.

There a lot of details lost in dark areas with the HP in all the LOTR pictures compare to the Samsung. Bad adjustement or result of glossy panel?

I just upgraded from a 19'' CRT i've had for like 8 years.

My question: What are the optimal settings for you guys, both monitor and video card display setting wise (specifically Nvidia users, but curious for ATI people as well)? this screen is so bright it hurts my eyes and makes some fonts hard to read.

Also, my desk is on a carpet and shakes a little if i were to say move my mouse too fast/hard. This was no problem before, but this screen's monitor head is real sensitive and the slightest back/forth and side to side movement makes the head tremor left and right like a bobble head. I can see this being a huge problem when i play a game and using the mouse hard. Anyone have an idea to stabilize the monitor head better? I think the fact it can swivel to portrait mode made it like this, If there was a way to lock it in horizontal position better i'd like to know

As much as I like this monitor, this is my 4th one and it still has 6-7 stuck subpixels. All of the others Ive had were even worse. Even though I dont have any dead pixels, it still doesnt meet HPs dead/stuck pixel policy of no more than 5. Ive had models made in Jan, Feb and Mar.

Im "not" going to exchange for another one...too bad cause I really like this monitor. Is anyone else checking for stuck pixels? I see them on the green, red and white screens.

I found turning down the brightness and contrast a C-hair helps, this monitor is bright out of the box.

My first one was lucky enuff to have no dead pixels. I have very slight backlight bleeding that I can only see if I set it to a black screen. Viewing this forum default with black and red I see nothing but beauty. once you orient the monitor level height and your angle you dont get any bleeding or fading or anything of the sort.

From Mirfak
I have to admit, I've read all of the very positive reviews about the W2207 but I find something very puzzling. I've looked at this monitor in three different stores and find the same problem i.e. total lack of detail in shadow areas. Just look at the pictures that come with the Photo Gallery in Vista. Shadow areas are totally black with zero gradations. I've played with settings 'till the cows come home and the results are always the same. Since nobody has mentioned this issue in this very long thread, I'm wondering if I've overlooked something obvious. Can anyone help me to sort out this issue? Colors look brilliantly stunning nonetheless.

A few posts back Mirfak was talking about the lack of shadow details with this monitor. Well, today I had the opportunity to again pay a visit to one of BestBuy's stores located close to my residence, about 2 miles away :) as we, residents of the Greater Washington area are privileged to have quite a few of them. This time the store's computer section looked totally different. Even though they had the usual daisy-chained monitors' display, they also had a good number of monitors connected to individual computers, including the w2207 with Vista on. I began to play with it and went to the multimedia option and into its sample pictures. I popped them up one after the other and understood Mirfak's gripe about the lack of shadow details. The problem is kind of evident to me, but correct me if I'm wrong in my assumptions. These pictures don't look to me as being high definition. They look awsome on HP's w19b monitor, but when you see them on a bigger than 19" monitor, details look washed out or at least lack detail not only under the shadowy parts but the well lit ones as well. And because of the lack of detail, they also look flat. This I can attest to because on my monitor the wallpapers that I downloaded from Interfacelift at 1920x1200 and 1680x1050 look absolutely breathtaking, shadow details and all. I can only suggest that you download some yourself saving them on a CD and armed with the pictures go back to the store of your choice and call them up on the w2207. Then get back to us and recount your impressions.

ChakkaSol: I don't understand, how on earth can this happen when I just took the last monitor of a shipmnet without even seeing it and it turned out to be perfect out of the box? :confused: :( Mine war made in February 2007.

I'm in the SF Bay Area and I can't even find one of these monitors to look at! I've been to 4 BBs and CCs and NONE of them have one...and I don't just think it's b/c they are OOS...they just don't carry them...

ChakkaSol: I don't understand, how on earth can this happen when I just took the last monitor of a shipmnet without even seeing it and it turned out to be perfect out of the box? :confused: :( Mine war made in February 2007.

I dont know. I have 2 best buys in my area and was able to go back and forth between them both....I had two Jan, one Feb and one Mar and the best of the lot had 7 stuck subpixels with the worst being 13 with one dead one too. HPs dead pixel policy is no dead pixels but a max of 5 stuck subpixels...very good pixel policy imo.

It must be just the batch that the local best buys got in my area. It looks like everyone else is getting perfect monitors...but not me so must be my dumb luck!

I just ordered a Dell 2407 for $546.24 plus tax so hopefully the dell will come in with zero pixel issues like most are getting - espcially since I got a super deal for $289 plus tax on the hp. I really, really liked the glossy screen of the hp w2207...

A few posts back Mirfak was talking about the lacking of shadow details with this monitor. Well, today I had the opportunity to again pay a visit to one of BestBuy's stores located close to my residence, about 2 miles away :) as we, residents of the Greater Washington area are privileged to have quite a few of them. This time the store's computer section looked totally different. Even though they had the usual daisy-chained monitors' display, they also had a good number of monitors connected to individual computers, including the w2207 with Vista on. I began to play with it and went to the multimedia option and into its sample pictures. I popped them up one after the other and understood Mirfak's gripe about the lack of shadow details. The problem is kind of evident to me, but correct me if I'm wrong in my assumptions. These pictures don't look to me as being high definition. They look awsome on HP's w19b monitor, but when you see them on a bigger than 19" monitor, details look washed out or at least lack detail not only under the shadowy parts but the well lit ones as well. And because of the lack of detail, they also look flat. This I can attest to because on my monitor the wallpapers that I downloaded from Interfacelift at 1920x1200 and 1600x1050 look absolutely breathtaking, shadow details and all. I can only suggest that you download some yourself saving them on a CD and armed with the pictures go back to the store of your choice and call them up on the w2207. Then get back to us and recount your impressions.

Hi Sylva, your post came too late. I purchased the LG 246WP - 24" monitor with 8-bit panel. This monitor completely blows me away. First LCD panel I've actually looked at that's better than my 19" professional CRT monitor (no doubt, there are other 8-bit panels out there that would beat my CRT). On the LG, the sample pictures look awesome, with lots of detail in the shadow and highlights and not at all flat looking. Incidentally, I looked at the w2007 (20") and the w1907 (19"). All exhibited the same lack of detail in the sample photos. The HP w22 (bigger brother to the w19b I guess) apeared to show more shadow detail than the w2207, but on close inspection, there were many artifacts and the colors were flat. At that point I resigned myself to springing for the more expensive LG but I haven't regretted the decision. I plan on getting another monitor for more general purpose work (where image details aren't critical) and that monitor is going to be a w2207. I think that the w2207 is a great all-round monitor.

Thanks for the post.

Hello fellow HP W2207 owners:
I bought and set up this amazingly good looking monitor (after being terribly disappointed with the Samsung 226bw) just about 10 days ago. Out of the box it was much much better than the 226bw ('A' panel) and I was really happy with my purchase. However, as I used it more and more I faced some of the same issues as I did with the one I returned. I am not certain if these issues are the fault of my monitor (s) or is this standard behavior of all 22" 1680 X 1050 resolution monitors.

The issues are:
1) Blurry / Gray text (as opposed to Sharp and Black text) on almost all applications and web pages. Text is not as blurry as the on the 226BW but it is not as sharp and dark as on my 19" HannsG LCD or Viewsonic G810 19" CRT.
2) Bluish/ Reddish colored fringe around all black text on a white back ground. It is most obvious on the address bar of web pages and dropdown list of most recent web pages visited.
3) Text on webpages, web based e-mail editors, etc really tiny and difficult to read.
4) Toolbars, Tabs, Menus and dialog windows of several applications such as TaxAct, LimeWire, Roxio Media Creator, etc have very small text. Although they are still readable they are huge strain on the eye.

On the positive note my W2207 is very bright, has vivid colors, no color fading towards the bottom of the screen, only one dead/struck pixel, minimal light bleeding through the top and bottom edges of the screen, and of course the over all look and height/position adjustments possibilities are things to die for.

My Setup:
Dell Dimension 9200 with Core2Duo Processor and 1GB RAM.
Windows XP Home SP2
nVidia Geforce 7300LE TurboCache (256MB) set at 1680 X 1050
ClearType Font Smoothening is turned ON.
DVI connection.

Remedies I experimented with:
a) Changed DPI to 125%. Made certain applications better but not a whole lot.
b) Reduced Contrast / Brightness to different degrees and set monitor to 'TEXT' mode. Again things got better but still left lot more to be desired.
c) Switched from DVI to VGA to try out the 'Auto Adjust' feature. Did not make any difference so switched back to DVI.
d) Swapped out the 7300LE with an older ATI Radeon 7000. Almost no difference in performance so switched back to the original video card.
e) Tried to choose larger text from the VIEW menu of IE. Improved readability on some websites but made no difference to many others.
f) Tried ignoring 'font sizes specified on web pages'. Text became a lot more readable but messed up formatting/layout of most webpages.
g) Tried to tweak windows appearance options for hours without much improvement.
h) Tried several different ClearType tuners without much improvement
i) Set Font Smoothening to standard (as opposed to Clear Type). This pretty much eliminated the colored fringe issue but text all across the board became almost unreadable. So I turned ClearType ON again.

The most annoying of the above listed issues are the colored fringe around black text and the blurry/gray text. And what amazes me the most is that I had none of these issues when I was using a $100 HannsG 19" HC-194D.

Just in case you are wondering, I am a 31 year old IT professional and I have a almost perfect 20/20 vision.

Any help or advice from you would be greatly appreciated. I am hoping that with your help I will be able to make things better for me and will not have return this beautiful monitor.

Thanks in advance for your time and assistance and my apologies for making this post so long. Thank you.

From ChakkaSol
It must be just the batch that the local best buys got in my area. It looks like everyone else is getting perfect monitors...but not me so must be my dumb luck!

The price for the Dell is pretty good. I hope you'll have better experience. If the panel is a good one you certainly will. When the w2207 is good, it can certainly give a run to even certain 24" panels. I took another look at Gateway's 24" monitor and after having the w2207 for about 5 weeks I wasn't as impressed as before my experience with the w2207. I wish you good luck and lots of happy hours with the Dell.

Mirfak, like ChakkaSol, with the LG 24" you've stepped into an altogether different category of monitors. Of course, with an 8 bit panel you'll have more realistic colors and details than with a 6 bit panel. Too, I think the dot pitch is narrower, therefore it's not as jaggy as a 6 bit panel. I'm sure you'll be very happy with it. I just could not afford it right now.

My question: What are the optimal settings for you guys, both monitor and video card display setting wise (specifically Nvidia users, but curious for ATI people as well)? this screen is so bright it hurts my eyes and makes some fonts hard to read.
now

I just got this monitor about a week ago, and I'm pretty happy with it. I'm one of those that loves the Opticlear screen and don't really notice any glare or reflections. With a pure black background in the evening with just a halogen desk lamp, there is quite a noticable backlight leak along the top edge and especially the bottom, but this is not worse than any other TN panel I've tested. No dead pixels!

It took a wee bit of tweaking to get it to where dark games like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. look good. I calibrated with Spyder 2 - To get black luminance at 0.5 nits and white luminance at 200 nits, I had to set brightness down to 80 from default of 90 and contrast down to 75 from default of 80. This tones down the over-brightness and still gives a contrast ration of 400. I could probably set the black lower, but I'm still learning how far I can go with this one.

After calibrating to gamma 2.2 and white point at 6500 K, running NVidia drivers 97.92 I moved digital vibrance up from 0 to 12. To compensate, in the NVIdia color panel I moved brightness down 1 notch to 49 from default 50 and contrast up 1 notch from default 46 to 47. This changed my gamma, so I brought it down a bit from default 9 to about 7 - until the onscreen gamma test showed 2.2 again.

I'm very happy with these settings and don't use any of the 'Quick View' settings. Changing these seems to reset brightness and contrast back to default. I tried lower white luminance (e.g. 120 nits) based on other forums and felt that things were too dull. 200 may be overbright for text and spreadsheets, but I mainly use this for gaming.

Hope this helps. I'll post settings on an ATI system within the next couple of days.

From ChakkaSol

Mirfak, like ChakkaSol, with the LG 24" you've stepped into an altogether different category of monitors. Of course, with an 8 bit panel you'll have more realistic colors and details than with a 6 bit panel. Too, I think the dot pitch is narrower, therefore it's not as jaggy as a 6 bit panel. I'm sure you'll be very happy with it. I just could not afford it right now.

The LG purchase was an unexpected turn of events. I never intended to purchase a monitor at this price level. The regular price for the LG at Future Shop in Canada is $749 CDN. I picked up an open box for $679 CDN. The w2207 sells for $449 CDN, so even at the open box price, the LG cost significantly more. Of course, you do get a lot for the extra cash. I never even dreamed of getting a 24" monitor. I would have been happy with a 21" 8-bit panel. However, all of the other 8-bit panels that I could find locally (even those with smaller screens) cost more than the LG.

I just went out and bought this monitor and it is the best thing ever. It is HUGE compared to anything I have ever used before and I have never seen such deep blacks and glare is no problem at all. Best monitor ever.

I went to my local BB and got another 2207 to compare to the first one I got. The second had more back light bleed and less uniformity when you look at only a black screen. So, that one goes back and I'm keeping the first. Not sure that's very ethical, but I want the best one I can get for the money. I think it's as good as it gets. It's a great monitor even with a little light bleeding. I guess I got spoiled from the LG L203WT that I have had for about a year. It had no bleeding that I could see and is a really good monitor. I guess I got lucky on that one, but I like the larger 2207 and the colors are more intense. I actually thought for a minute or 2 that the larger LG 24" might look good on my desk, but I just didn't want to spend that much at the moment. :eek:

From ChakkaSol

The price for the Dell is pretty good. I hope you'll have better experience. If the panel is a good one you certainly will. When the w2207 is good, it can certainly give a run to even certain 24" panels. I took another look at Gateway's 24" monitor and after having the w2207 for about 5 weeks I wasn't as impressed as before my experience with the w2207. I wish you good luck and lots of happy hours with the Dell.

I agree that I stepped into a different category and because of that I will probably need to upgrade my video card sooner rather than later. Even though I got a good deal on the Dell, its going to cost me even more money for the more expensive video card to run this larger monitor. Oh well, a few less beers over the summer will help me to pay for the video card.

If all goes as planned, my friend with be taking my old sammy 205bw and I will be picking up the 2207 from best buy today. I'll try and post some pictures tonight with my experiences.

Also, has anyone done any HD content (HD DVD/Bluray) on this monitor? If so how did it work?

Yesterday I indicated that on a system running 97.92 drivers, at the factory default NVidia control panel settings, I had to set the HP monitor brightness to 80 and the contrast to 75 to achieve 0.5 cd/m^2 black and 200 cd/m^2 white luminance. (Default HP w2207 settings are 90 brightness and 80 contrast).

On an ATI system running Catalyst 7.3 drivers, with the ATI Catalyst Control Center at factory default settings, I had to set brightness to 60 and contrast to 85 to attain the same luminance. I was able to increase AVIVO color saturation to 124% to get about the same effect as a digital vibrance of 12, but, unlike the NVidia panel, changing either brighness or contrast in the Cat Control panel nullified the calibration, and required a reboot to reload the calibrated icm.

These were bigger differences than I expected. I suppose that is caused by the way each company configures the default video card settings. So much for general advice regarding brightness and contrast settings. Depends on the video card manufacturer and may even vary with driver release.

I just got this monitor about a week ago, and I'm pretty happy with it. I'm one of those that loves the Opticlear screen and don't really notice any glare or reflections. With a pure black background in the evening with just a halogen desk lamp, there is quite a noticable backlight leak along the top edge and especially the bottom, but this is not worse than any other TN panel I've tested. No dead pixels!

It took a wee bit of tweaking to get it to where dark games like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. look good. I calibrated with Spyder 2 - To get black luminance at 0.5 nits and white luminance at 200 nits, I had to set brightness down to 80 from default of 90 and contrast down to 75 from default of 80. This tones down the over-brightness and still gives a contrast ration of 400. I could probably set the black lower, but I'm still learning how far I can go with this one.

After calibrating to gamma 2.2 and white point at 6500 K, running NVidia drivers 97.92 I moved digital vibrance up from 0 to 12. To compensate, in the NVIdia color panel I moved brightness down 1 notch to 49 from default 50 and contrast up 1 notch from default 46 to 47. This changed my gamma, so I brought it down a bit from default 9 to about 7 - until the onscreen gamma test showed 2.2 again.

I'm very happy with these settings and don't use any of the 'Quick View' settings. Changing these seems to reset brightness and contrast back to default. I tried lower white luminance (e.g. 120 nits) based on other forums and felt that things were too dull. 200 may be overbright for text and spreadsheets, but I mainly use this for gaming.

Hope this helps. I'll post settings on an ATI system within the next couple of days.

What did you use to calibrate the gamma and color temp? I know that not all settings are created equal but do you mind posting your gamma/color temp settings? Did you make the adjustments on the monitor itself or with a color profile?

Anyone else notice that the stand is wobbly as hell? I am like typing on my keyboard and the display is wobbling.

Okay seriously this is ridiculous: How do I get the monitor to stop shaking when I am typing on the keyboard? Do I have to lock something into place or something?

Okay seriously this is ridiculous: How do I get the monitor to stop shaking when I am typing on the keyboard? Do I have to lock something into place or something?

I think your stand is defective. I had 4 of them (they all had 7 or more stuck pixels so I gave up on getting this monitor) and the stand on any of the 4 was rock solid. The stand was another reason why I really like this monitor.

I think your stand is defective. I had 4 of them (they all had 7 or more stuck pixels so I gave up on getting this monitor) and the stand on any of the 4 was rock solid. The stand was another reason why I really like this monitor.

So do you have a different monitor now?

Is your table sturdy enough? Mine is not great so its slight wobbling is taken up by the monitor. However, the whole thing is very minor. I wouldn't exactly call the stand of the w2207 rock solid, but it's very good nevertheless. Like ChakkaSol, I consider it as one of this monitor's good points.

Table is fine. The problem occurs when I am typing really hard, like I am now. You can see the edge of the monitor vibrating from my keystrokes. When I bump the table a bit the entire screen shakes Do me a favor. Pull the screen down as far as it will go. Put your keyboard maybe half a foot from the monitor and type really hard. Look at the edge of the monitor to see if the screen vibrates. Thanks.

I have no idea how you type so hard.... your stand seems defective; or your table sucks.

OGROK, can you try not typing that hard? As a matter of fact, what purpose punding the keyboard so hard serves? I feather touch and there are no problems. And, by the way, I learned to type with 10 fingers exactly because pounding really taxed my fingers (very hard otherwise from professionally palying the piano) and keeping on buying new keyboards every year. You may have a defective stand after all, so look into that, AFTER you've calmed down your striking the keyboard like a punching bag :) One simply can't bang away at the keyboard when typing with 10 fingers.

OGROK, can you try not typing that hard? As a matter of fact, what purpose punding the keyboard so hard serves? I feather touch and there are no problems. And, by the way, I learned to type with 10 fingers exactly because pounding really taxed my fingers (very hard otherwise from professionally palying the piano) and keeping on buying new keyboards every year. You may have a defective stand after all, so look into that, AFTER you've calmed down your striking the keyboard like a punching bag :) One simply can't bang away at the keyboard when typing with 10 fingers.

I'm not even typing hard. Two handed typing = my monitor vibrating like jello. Shifting around in my chair slightly = vibrating monitor (and I am pretty thin). How is it even possible to have a defective stand? I mean goddamn, it's just a piece of plastic attached to a monitor.

Back