The Official HP w2207/w2007 Thread

I just picked up this monitor and so far it is amazing. Yes, the software is a little buggy but I assume that will be fixed soon.

My one gripe is that one certainly notices tearing in quick moving games like CS:S. I also don't like to use vsync but may have to due to this small annoyance.

All in all this is the best LCD I have owned for under $500. I also have the NEC 20WMGX2+ and it is a better monitor, but at half the price and 2 inches bigger the HP holds it's own for sure!

Alfred_floro: thanks for guidance and the link.

Now the 1:1 issue: In my opinion, based on what I've done as of today, the monitor is pretty good at it. I use Media Player Classic. Movie playing is exquisite at brighness set to 85 and contrast to 80. Wide standard DVD is pretty much complied with without image degradation. However, as I said before, about 25% of screen real estate is lost due to the horizontal black bands flanking the picture. No vertical black bands though. When I watch the 4:3 standard the whole screen is full, withough any picture degradation. You pretty much get a full wide screen totally proportioned. I don't understand why true wide standard, 16:9, can't be implemented or, if it's 16:10, then done something about the annoying horizontal real estate loss. In any case, I still sustain that this monitor is incredibly good. The graniness of some pictures is obviously due to the resolution problem that afflicts every 22" monitor. And, again, critical is the direction of the vector that ties your eyes with the screen, that is the one that results from the combination between the tilt and height of the screen vs. the plane into which your eyes are embeded.

Stanleyjohn: It's exactly what I did, deinstalled and reinstalled the software. It's a combined problem. I have an MS Office pre-release on my computer which may have some memory management issues. I think that My Display was poking into a memory location that Office was inadvertently occupying. I don't have time to install/uninstall and then reinstall, etc., so that for the moment I uninstalled My Display. Things are better now. I'll take to the issue sometime later. I'll report back then. Till that date maybe HP will mend things a bit. But My Display is totally unessential to the good behavior of the monitor. So far so good.

iviustang50h: are you in Canada? You're saying under 500? Now it's more like under $350 or even less.

Signing off (getting up at 5:30:mad: )

Its good that i was able to help Sylva!I gotta get up at 4:15AM :( Thank God! weekend is soon two mournings i can sleep later :)

Question for all who have the monitor: Do HP's monitor drivers cause any trouble? My question's reason is that when I put 500 megs into the computer, everything is hunky dory. However, when I augment it to 1 gig the computer works for awhile, then reboots. Uninstalled the HP drivers and the problem went away. Need to mention that the memory sticks are not ECC parity checked, however there were no problems before installing HP's drivers. I got rid of the old OFFICE and installed a new XP version. It looks as though it wasn't oId OFFICE. There may be some conflict with WinXP, who knows, since I don't have a memory analyzer which could tell what program is looking to install itself where or some component programs to communicate with, dlls, etc. Have to hunt up some people at HP, however their support is not quite cintillating. Again, Microstoft's drivers are good, but with them image brighness and definition are not as good as with HP's drivers. But I cannot sacrifice 500 megs of memory for HP's drivers' sake.

Ideas anyone?

Question for all who have the monitor: Do HP's monitor drivers cause any trouble? My question's reason is that when I put 500 megs into the computer, everything is hunky dory. However, when I augment it to 1 gig the computer works for awhile, then reboots. Uninstalled the HP drivers and the problem went away. Need to mention that the memory sticks are not ECC parity checked, however there were no problems before installing HP's drivers. I got rid of the old OFFICE and installed a new XP version. It looks as though it wasn't oId OFFICE. There may be some conflict with WinXP, who knows, since I don't have a memory analyzer which could tell what program is looking to install itself where or some component programs to communicate with, dlls, etc. Have to hunt up some people at HP, however their support is not quite cintillating. Again, Microstoft's drivers are good, but with them image brighness and definition are not as good as with HP's drivers. But I cannot sacrifice 500 megs of memory for HP's drivers' sake.

Ideas anyone?

Interesting problem. Speaking for myself, currently I am not having any problems with the HP drivers. My setup appears to be different from yours though - I'm using Vista Premium, Intel 6400, 3 meg ram. Now, when I first installed the drivers, I did so via the HP My Display installation. Let me make this recommendation to everyone (based upon my experience) don't bother to install 'My Display'. The concept is great, but the software is so glitchy that its just not worth it at the moment. Maybe when HP releases an updated version I'll give it another go.

So I uninstalled HP My Display, which apparently took out the drivers at the same time. From that moment on (until it was fixed) I received a 'could not find the monitor drivers' error upon boot-up. When i tried to install just the drivers (no My Display utility) I received additional errors (file error, no access error, etc...). So I rolled back my computer configuration to a pre-W2207 installation point (using System Restore) and then installed only the W2207 drivers. It has been utopia ever since!

Unfortunately I cannot duplicate your situation (500 megs to 1 gig, WinXP, etc.) so I can't say if the HP drivers are related to this or not. All I can offer is that with my current setup I have absolutely no problems at all.

Was not sure I liked it at first, colors seemed a bit washed out, or to bright. I tried to adjust with the on screen controls and with the "HP My Display" software (this software is buggy!) but could not get it quite the way I like. Then I went out and purchased a Spyder2 Express and calibrated the monitor and WOW what a difference! Photos and games now look amazing! I would highly recommend the Spyder2 Express, it may not be the best but for $69.00 it does a great job. I also purchased an HP 20" w2007 for my wife and it looked great right out of the box with no adjustments.

Steve

Any chance you could post your calibration settings? :)

How does the Xbox 360 perform on this monitor?

Thanks!

I too am curious about how the 360 will perform. I'm getting an Xbox 360 Elite, so I will try it out via HDMI/DVI and via VGA.

Oh BTW, I just noticed that Amazon has dropped its price on this monitor to $320.04 :eek:

HP reissued the drivers sometime this past March, which I installed. Everything's now working the right way or at least seems to be. I still don't know what the problem was. Don't think the old drivers caused it since you and others did not have it. I agree that My Display is buggy, I unistalled it, though it works but not well enough. I sent in a letter to HP about the problem. I hope they follow this forum/thread. Has anyone tried digital connection yet? Just am curious whether those who tried it see the difference with RGB. I think it's quite notable. Picture is brighter without jacking up brightness from the menu. Image is clearer and crisper. I also continued to experiment with configuration for movie watching and have to tell you, it's great, particularly the 4:3 standard which fills up the whole screen in perfect proportion. Image quality is fantastic in 16:10 with screen vertical real estate much reduced, about 30% according to my measurements. I haven't yet found a method to compensate, not knowing whether Media Player Classic has any special configs to this end. Will keep you posted.

Wish: could anyone send me, [email protected], pictures from Vista's sample pictures, particularly flowers and forests? I'd be very grateful. Thanks.

WOW, I've got to say, I bought this monitor yesterday and it's bar-freakin-none the BEST monitor I've ever owned in my life. Glossy screen, big size, vibrant colors, and the monitor movement functions. I owned a Westinghouse LCM-22w2 22" before this, and I was afraid of losing the input ports on getting this, but I've got to say it doesn't even matter anymore. Picture quality is excellent, I have mine on the Gaming preset and the colors are very vibrant.

The monitor movement functions. Height adjust, tilt and pivot. Pivot is freaking excellent for browsing text-heavy websites and the height adjustment is just a simple push up and down, no interlocking or anything needed. The monitor itself is an eye-catcher too. Out of circuit citys 20-30 monitor displays, I IMMEDIATELY recognized it out of all of them, and not because it was the only one with the power off. The glossy screen is a real sweet point too.

I might just get a VGA TV tuner or something so I can plug into this and play console games, because I know they'd look excellent. If you're debating on whether to buy this monitor, STOP AND JUST GO GET IT. It's at circuit city for 329.99.

WOW, I've got to say, I bought this monitor yesterday and it's bar-freakin-none the BEST monitor I've ever owned in my life. Glossy screen, big size, vibrant colors, and the monitor movement functions. I owned a Westinghouse LCM-22w2 22" before this, and I was afraid of losing the input ports on getting this, but I've got to say it doesn't even matter anymore. Picture quality is excellent, I have mine on the Gaming preset and the colors are very vibrant.

The monitor movement functions. Height adjust, tilt and pivot. Pivot is freaking excellent for browsing text-heavy websites and the height adjustment is just a simple push up and down, no interlocking or anything needed. The monitor itself is an eye-catcher too. Out of circuit citys 20-30 monitor displays, I IMMEDIATELY recognized it out of all of them, and not because it was the only one with the power off. The glossy screen is a real sweet point too.

I might just get a VGA TV tuner or something so I can plug into this and play console games, because I know they'd look excellent. If you're debating on whether to buy this monitor, STOP AND JUST GO GET IT. It's at circuit city for 329.99.

Welcome to the club, WildFire :)

So anything i should know before installing this thing like drivers? I got this monitor almost two weeks ago, but it's still in the box 'cause i'm still waiting for my other computer parts.

Should i use the drivers/software that came in the box or download new drivers? Thanks.

I just picked up this monitor as well. It looked far better to me than the 226BW, for the same price too, with a better stand, and no panel lottery BS. I haven't hooked it up yet though.

Previously I had a Westinghouse LCW-22, which I did not like very much and return. We'll see if this monitor is a suitable replacement for my aging CRT. I hope to get that other user's Spyder Xpress profile, if he comes back around.

So anything i should know before installing this thing like drivers? I got this monitor almost two weeks ago, but it's still in the box 'cause i'm still waiting for my other computer parts.

Should i use the drivers/software that came in the box or download new drivers? Thanks.

I would download the latest drivers from HP so you are sure you're getting the latest and greatest - quick link to the web page is:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...us&dlc=en&submit.y=0&submit.x=0&lang=en&cc=us

I advise not to bother with the 'My Display' software though. Only install the video drivers. The My Display is, as can be verified by several others, that it does not work well.

Good luck.

I posted this on another thread...so what is so special about this lcd compared to others?

"This HP 2207 is being sold all over the place and circuit city, with varying coupons, you can get it between $289-$329. Seems like this monitor is better than all the other 22 inch monitors since it seems like the longer the thread, the more problems a particular make/model is having.

Forums can really talk you out of a monitor and I may be talked into this one since so little negative is being said about it."

Just because it has the longest thread doesn't mean it's the best.

He's saying the opposite; well, i assume he's a he. It was implied that the longer the thread, the more problems the monitor has has because the more negatives and such being posted about it.

Oh.

Anyway, I only have one gripe with the monitor sorta. It's that it can't do 1920x1080. I understand that it's not it's native resolution, but with my old Westinghouse 22", it could do 1920x1080 resolution even though it's a 1680x1050 screen. And this monitor WILL NOT budge past 1680x1050 either. Anything past that and you get that Not Optimum Signal error.

Anyone got past this? I actually liked have that.

He's saying the opposite; well, i assume he's a he. It was implied that the longer the thread, the more problems the monitor has has because the more negatives and such being posted about it.

Yep, and last time I checked I was still a he! I just got back from my local best buy and I saw the hp, lg, gateway and westinghouse (no sammy 226) and the hp was the only one that caught my eye. They had them hooked up to hp computers via dvi ports and really the 2207 blew them away.

I was going to buy a more expensive 24 or 26 but just cant really justify the price since I decided to use this for PC gaming/web surfin only. I was going to buy the 2207 at best buy but all they had was the display model...oh well, Ill have to go across town tomorrow to the circuit city (unless this thread gets really long in the next day - lol).

I had the Dell E207WFP (also TN panel) and the viewing angles weren't great. How is the HP W2007, 2207 in this regard? I saw them both at BB and CC and they didn't seem as bad as the Dell.

I grabbed this yesterday at CC for $290 out the door, looked better than anything else in the store, infact its one of the best I have seen peroid. Especially for $290:D, made the 226bw look blah blah and is much better than my 205bw was.
Hp w2207 @ $290 FTW

I grabbed this yesterday at CC for $290 out the door, looked better than anything else in the store, infact its one of the best I have seen peroid. Especially for $290:D, made the 226bw look blah blah and is much better than my 205bw was.
Hp w2207 @ $290 FTW

How did you get the monitor for $290?

CC has it for $330, these dudes at fatwallet have a $40 coupon

http://www.fatwallet.com/t/18/722555

I printed it and they took it lol

I went there armed with rthdribl, they had 20 " and 22" sammy and gateways and HP's and LG's and viewsonics. They were hooked up DVI to 7xxx and 6xxx nvidia cards and onboard.

The HP looked incredible compared to the rest. It really stood out , the CC dudes actually thanked me cuz they sold out while I stood there lmao, most people didnt even care about spending $330. I tried to get the manager to throw ina free DVI but he wouldnt the dork. Also see if your local CC will price match amazon cuz they got it for $320.

I have a 8800gtx using 158.19 drivers and nvidia purevideo decoder hooked up DVI and everything is gourgeous. DVD's, photos, text, PREY looks simply incredible on this monitor as does FEAR, HL2 and Dark Messiah.

I was killing myself over buying a dell S-IPS 20" but $359 is crazy to me for that size monitor, so I was contemplating a refurb for $255 after rebate of $30 and then I found this monitor by accident.

CC has it for $330, these dudes at fatwallet have a $40 coupon

http://www.fatwallet.com/t/18/722555

I printed it and they took it lol

I went there armed with rthdribl, they had 20 " and 22" sammy and gateways and HP's and LG's and viewsonics. They were hooked up DVI to 7xxx and 6xxx nvidia cards and onboard.

The HP looked incredible compared to the rest. It really stood out , the CC dudes actually thanked me cuz they sold out while I stood there lmao, most people didnt even care about spending $330. I tried to get the manager to throw ina free DVI but he wouldnt the dork. Also see if your local CC will price match amazon cuz they got it for $320.

I have a 8800gtx using 158.19 drivers and nvidia purevideo decoder hooked up DVI and everything is gourgeous. DVD's, photos, text, PREY looks simply incredible on this monitor as does FEAR, HL2 and Dark Messiah.

I was killing myself over buying a dell S-IPS 20" but $359 is crazy to me for that size monitor, so I was contemplating a refurb for $255 after rebate of $30 and then I found this monitor by accident.

Ah! I thought it was $290 including tax. :)

226bw owner here, quite happy, still intrigued with this display.
I wish I'd seen it sooner.
Can someone tell me what is the distance between the desk where the screen sits on and the bottom of the screen when it is at maximum height adjustment.
Thanks

I might give up on the Sammy for ergonomic reasons

I had the Dell E207WFP (also TN panel) and the viewing angles weren't great. How is the HP W2007, 2207 in this regard? I saw them both at BB and CC and they didn't seem as bad as the Dell.
Well, to be perfectly honest, the viewing angles on this monitor isn't perfect either but..

I position myself directly in front of the monitor about 2 feet away. I notice VERY little fading across the screen, and if I move my head up-down-side-to-side I do notice ever so slight changes in brightness. But I can honestly say it is so minor that it truly is hardly worth mentioning (i'm speaking for my self - others may experience something different). If I lean quite far to the left or right of the monitor, colors do change quite a bit, most noticeable are whites, which begin to take on a reddish tone. But I'm talking about looking at the panel from a better than 45 degree angle. And since I am positioned directly in front, this is not an issue for me.

My experience with other 22 wides is that they all have some issues with viewing angles, some better than others. If this (the w2207) monitor is to set directly in front of you, say 2 to 4 feet away, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase it (and I didn't) based upon viewing angles.

226bw owner here, quite happy, still intrigued with this display.
I wish I'd seen it sooner.
Can someone tell me what is the distance between the desk where the screen sits on and the bottom of the screen when it is at maximum height adjustment.
Thanks

I might give up on the Sammy for ergonomic reasons
Its about 6.5 inches. This is measured from the desk top to the bottom of the display panel, not the bottom of the monitor bezel. In other words, about 6.5 inches up from the desktop you will be looking at the toolbar in (and that wonderful START button) Windows.

LOL I have like 20 of those wallpapers saved. EVERYTIME I find a good new one, I find ANOTHER one. I wish there was some background app that scrolls through them thats available on XP.

I bought a w2207 yesterday based off the opinions of this thread, and to tell ya, its and awesome monitor. It is replacing a 21 gateway panel that went belly up. The color is outstanding, and the glossy screen isnt bad at all with glare for me. Thanks for the recommendations and the honest opinions of this monitor.

I connected back my 15" which only takes RGB as a second monitor. Well, colors are absolutely pale because of the neon lights I installed which compensate for the brightness of the w2207. The 15 incher hurts my eyes, small wonder I had eye strain all the time. My opinion remains. The w2207 is gorgeous. I downloaded about 25 of the great wallpapers from the site recommended by WildFireXXII. Thanks WildFireXXII !!

As a comment about the monitor stopping at 1600x1050. Well, I, as everyone who'se tried this site, know that there are different resolutions which one can download for. The difference in bytes is about 15-20% to the 1920x1200 format. I did it for 1680x1050 AND 1920x1200. The photos at 1920x1200 are as clearly rendered as the ones at 1680x1050. Sometimes even a bit better if you look for very subtle contours. Some other times there's no difference. The main thing is that 1920x1200 appears to be taken by this monitor. Therefore, I don't see why HD (1080p) would not be adaptable. Surely, it's not going to be your true HD, however it'll be pretty close or, at least, acceptably close. I haven't tried anything of that nature since I don't possess any devices with 1080p output. Anyone have?

I just wonder how long it'll last. Hopefully it will for a few years. I didn't buy it to discard it when the next kid on the block comes around. These things kept on lasting for many years. Freemason, how long did your 21 incher last? My 15" still works after better than 4 years. It's still quite usable.

I posted this in another HP w2207 thread so I'll just repost it here since this is the official thread:

Well I went to CC the other day with my GF and saw that they had the w2207 side by side the Samsung 226bw. I've been thinking about buying the Samsung for awhile now for gaming and for the extra space but always thought the black just wasn't dark enough for me. Then I saw the HP and just started to drool.

So my GF looked at me and asked if I was going to buy it. I said no since I was short $100 bucks and she proceeded to whip out her CC. Hehe I love the girl so now I definately owe her a $100 dinner and more. :)

Also has anyone calibrated their monitor with a Spyder yet? What are you're settings and with what software? Nvdia? OSD?

I've been messing with the contrast, brightness and RGB and can't seem to come to a compromise between watching movies and games. Oh and beautiful LCD screen!

Back