The Official HP w2207/w2007 Thread

$290+tax but still pretty damn sweet

Yep I just picked this up at Best Buy...I first got it at Circuit City for $329 minus the $40 coupon so $289 plus tax. Then I went to Best Buy, showed them my Circuit City reciept and they honored the $289 price and took back the first one to Circuit City.

Why go best buy...because you get a 30 day return policy for any reason with no restocking fee and circuit city has only a 15 day plus a15% restocking fee. Its worth the trouble to get it from Best Buy!

This monitor is gorgeous, has a adjustable/swivel stand (that reason alone beats the Sammy 226) but it has a few stuck pixels (red and blue)...so Ill give it a while to get unstuck but will probably go trade it soon....and Im not stuck with a restocking fee! Actually even with the stuck pixels its worth every penny for $289.

Boys and girls, this is the 22 inch monitor to get...beats my old Sammy 19 inch 930b hands down!

I replaced a 19" Princeton lcd that I've had for about 4 years now. It still works great - not a single stuck pixel. But I've been wanting a widescreen for a while now; I do alot of writing and have multiple documents open at the same time. I thought the widescreen would do the trick, and it has! I'm configuring an older computer I have and am going to attach it to that Princeton and give it to my daughter to play games and learn to type.

I'm glad to hear so many good reviews from people who have bought this monitor. It truly is a diamond-in-the-rough! I think over time we'll see more and more people jump on board with this display. IMHO it is the best 22 wide going, especially for the price.

Well I really like the display but too bad its defective. Without really looking hard I have 8 bright dead pixels and 6 dark ones (probably more but I just quit counting). Well Im not really going to deal with HP so Im packing it back up to take back to best buy for an exchange (glad I didnt go Circuit City)!

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...95&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3363837&lang=en

Here is HP's dead pixel policy:
Understanding HP pixel policy
In early 2003, HP flat panel monitor pixel/sub-pixel defect specifications were standardized for HP's entire line of new 2003 models. These specifications apply to future models as well. In a 3-5-5 simplified format, the new HP flat panel monitor pixel defect specifications are as follows:
Bright sub-pixel defects: 3 maximum
Dark sub-pixel defects: 5 maximum
Total combined bright and dark sub-pixel defects: 5 maximum

I just wonder how long it'll last. Hopefully it will for a few years. I didn't buy it to discard it when the next kid on the block comes around. These things kept on lasting for many years. Freemason, how long did your 21 incher last? My 15" still works after better than 4 years. It's still quite usable.

It was a FPD2185W, I've had it about 1.5 yrs, been babied, swapped out for a newer revision, OSD 1.2.0 (or 1) after it failed the first time. I've had this newer one for about 8 months and it developed a vertical yellow band from top to bottom of the screen about 1/8" wide. Tried 3 different machines, different cables, DVI, RGB,Composite hook-ups and its still the same. I talked to Gateway about the problem, they wanna take a look at it, I told them it was out of warranty, but they said they wanted to look at it anyways. I bought the w2207, and I could'nt be happier now. If they fix it for a small fee, thats cool, if not, I have an extra panel for my collection of all things computer related.:D

I connected back my 15" which only takes RGB as a second monitor. Well, colors are absolutely pale because of the neon lights I installed which compensate for the brightness of the w2207. The 15 incher hurts my eyes, small wonder I had eye strain all the time. My opinion remains. The w2207 is gorgeous. I downloaded about 25 of the great wallpapers from the site recommended by WildFireXXII. Thanks WildFireXXII !!

As a comment about the monitor stopping at 1600x1050. Well, I, as everyone who'se tried this site, know that there are different resolutions which one can download for. The difference in bytes is about 15-20% to the 1920x1200 format. I did it for 1680x1050 AND 1920x1200. The photos at 1920x1200 are as clearly rendered as the ones at 1680x1050. Sometimes even a bit better if you look for very subtle contours. Some other times there's no difference. The main thing is that 1920x1200 appears to be taken by this monitor. Therefore, I don't see why HD (1080p) would not be adaptable. Surely, it's not going to be your true HD, however it'll be pretty close or, at least, acceptably close. I haven't tried anything of that nature since I don't possess any devices with 1080p output. Anyone have?

No, I didn't mean pictures, I mean desktop area resolution. Like, actually going into Display Properties or Catalyst Control Center and changing it to 1920x1080. With my old 22" it would actually change the screen area to 1080p, but with this one, it just says out of range for anything higher than 1680x1050.

Yeah, I don't think one can make it into a 1080p from Catalyst. One cannot turn desktop resolution into something that's not there. Even if interpolated, you just don't have the necessary number of physical pixels (transistors) in there. And actually, I don't think your screen changed into 1920x1080 when you physically only had 1680x1050. What may have happened was what happened with my downloading the 1920x1080 wallpapers and rendering them at a lower resolution by translation algorithm built into the firmware. The display's firmware is also a lattice transforming algorithm. That is, it's capable to scale down the number of pixels in the primary information to the actual dimensions that your display has. This is the reverse operation from the one that is done by certain DVD recorders which are capable to upscale from regular 720x480 to 1080i. But that's interpolating onto the DV Disk, you still need a monitor that can render 1080i. In our monitor's case, changing resolution from Catalyst may not be necessary, since this happens automatically due to the presence of the algorithm. The monitor will come up with an error message if you try higher resolution from Catalyst, but if you don't try this from Catalyst it'll do the transformation automatically. All of these with the qualified "probably" since I don't really know what w2207's embedded software does and how far it goes regarding these things. Did you try playing 1080p material without resolution change from Catalyst? Try it, see what happens.

In my case, I had to uninstall Catalyst (9250 chip) because it was in conflict with some other software, I guess Turtle Beach Santa Cruz. I'll have to play lots more with these packages as they're getting very big and complex, prone to memory management bugs, that is, vying for the same addresses or not vacating memory addresses when they should, etc. I also uninstalled My Display for the same reason. At one point WinXP's registry has been so badly corrupted that XP had to irrevocably be reinstalled. Restores didn't work at all, etc.

Guys, I suggest that you FORGET ABOUT RGB altogether. Order that $10 DVI cable and you'll NEVER look back. On my computer, at least, the difference is stunning.

WildFireXXII: only 1.5 years and already in the doldrums? That's terrible. Actually, the people at Gateway may think so too, that's why they've offered help beyound the warranty. It's very very bad for the reputation of the manufacturer.

Hey Wild -

I've got one of those very tuner boxes. Buy.com had a great deal one 'em a while back... $9.00 shipped (after rebates). I was going to use it on the Princeton monitor until it was deiced to use that monitor on another computer. Sometime over the next couple of days i'll hook it up to my w2207 and see what it looks like.

Well I guess Im the only one posting negative reviews on this hp w2207....just got back from best buy with the 2nd monitor and it has around 10 dead/stuck subpixels.

Best buy is out of inventory so I play around with it for a while but its going back. Maybe Ill call HP to see if I can get a direct replacement.

Guys

Is there a way to reset the blacklight Hours Timer in the menu ?

maybe with a hidden servic menu ?

Well I guess Im the only one posting negative reviews on this hp w2207....just got back from best buy with the 2nd monitor and it has around 10 dead/stuck subpixels.

Best buy is out of inventory so I play around with it for a while but its going back. Maybe Ill call HP to see if I can get a direct replacement.

I'd go through BB rather than HP for the exchange so that you don't get a refurb model. I had the same problem as you do with my first one which I simply exchanged at CC (they don't charge the 15% for exchanges but the 14-day still sucks). My first one had two stuck pixels, my second one a slightly crooked base (the monitor would sit on the sliiightest tilt and I am a perfection freak), and now my third one is PERFECT.

my video card is 2 years old geforce 5200.. the DVI out doesnt support 1680x1050 but the vga does... i read a lot of conflicting opinions about the difference between DVI and VGA.. for those who tried both on their w2207... am I really missing a lot by using VGA cable.... if so what are those... color? sharpness?

my video card is 2 years old geforce 5200.. the DVI out doesnt support 1680x1050 but the vga does... i read a lot of conflicting opinions about the difference between DVI and VGA.. for those who tried both on their w2207... am I really missing a lot by using VGA cable.... if so what are those... color? sharpness?

I've owned two LCD's before taking a plunge and buying a widescreen. On two occasion I've tried to use the VGA on the prior LCD's so I could get a better refresh rate but I realised that the text wasn't as sharp and color are more washed out. Switching out to DVI caused everything to look fantastic but of course you're stuck with a 60hz refresh rate.

Use a good quality DVI cable and you won't go back ;)

I'd go through BB rather than HP for the exchange so that you don't get a refurb model. I had the same problem as you do with my first one which I simply exchanged at CC (they don't charge the 15% for exchanges but the 14-day still sucks). My first one had two stuck pixels, my second one a slightly crooked base (the monitor would sit on the sliiightest tilt and I am a perfection freak), and now my third one is PERFECT.

Yep it looks like the 3rd time is a charm...I think I got a keeper but I did notice a few dark pixels or red pixels on a green background. And the backlight is much much better with virtually no bleed on this one. Best bet is to hook it up via DVI.

I went to a different best buy and noticed that my first two were made in Jan 07 and this new one is from Feb 07. Maybe the Feb 07 or later is the one you should look for if you decide to get this monitor.

Really well worth $289 plus tax. If I keep this Ill probably upgrade in a few years when the 30 inch monitors are under $300. On to some more testing...

mines also feb, if u look under info in the monitor settings there's a version number. mines gtmv 1.4

mines also feb, if u look under info in the monitor settings there's a version number. mines gtmv 1.4

Yep same here too...recommendation for users interested in this monitor is to look for the Feb 07 or later models....bad luck with 2 Jan 07 versions regarding stuck pixels...

I made this thread because I've seen quite a bit of them popping up individually. Let's use this to discuss HP's new line of widescreen LCD displays, the wxx07 series.

I'll start off saying that when I got this monitor home, I was amazed at the clarity of everything I threw at it, and that gaming on it is great.
I did, however, receive one with a stuck pixel and will be exchanging it soon for the same one.

Overall a very SATISFIED user!

Update: After having exchanged it, I received one with absolutely NO defects.
No dead/stuck pixels, and even the backlight was better than the previous one.
No noticeable bleeding even while using a solid black background! This, of course, may be luck of the draw.

Contents of package:
  • Monitor (or at least one would hope)
  • Driver disk
  • USB cable
  • Power Cable
  • VGA cable
  • does not come with a DVI cable

Some key points I've noticed about the monitor:
  • Good cable management
  • Strong, stable arm. Supports 90degree turning
  • Good menu
  • Option to turn off the power button's LED
  • Streamlined position of the power button) on top, out of sight
  • Great colors and brightness
  • Vertical angle fading not as apparent as on the Samsung 226bw; very exceptional considering the size of this TN panel
  • Very minimal and hard-to-notice backlight bleeding
  • No color bleeding
  • No ghosting in games
  • Two USB inputs on the left side (out of view)

Great-looking arm:
hp1dz1.jpg

Great colors in-game or out (photo does not come close to doing this monitor justice):
hp2dq0.jpg

Adjust height or tilt any way you want:
hp3xb7.jpg

90 degree rotation for those who live on the edge... or... just like that sort of thing...
hp4xw8.jpg

Cable management:
hp5hg3.jpg

suppose to be a IPS panel or a P-MVA NOT A TN depends on DELL..... IPS are more expensive i dont know how to check.............and the reason for good angle (ips mva)

I'm thinking about get the 20.1" version of this monitor, but a bit concerned as it doesn't look to have the hight adjustibility like my brothers Dell. Can anybody confirm if it does or doesn't? Judging by the picture, it looks like it doesn't... And I've heard some people say that these have a "glossy screen"... what exactly is that? I've seen some laptops that look like they have a small layer of glass or plastic on top of the screen to give it a bit more shine... is that what it is?

Thanks.

on DELL SITE it as a 178' angle 16 ms impossible to be a TN panel http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-4688
http://www.lesnumeriques.com/article-203-1042-88.html and on that site it does say 5 ms TN panel( circuit city web site) so where is the truth.

Oh, i know it would definitely be better. The NEC i'm looking at is $399 OEM..but i'm still debating if i REALLY need that much of a better screen, or just get a brand new, cheaper, bigger screen that most people are happy with.

For now i'm leaning towards NEC. Since it would be something i'd be using for a while, it might as well be awesome. and for $399 + shipping and 15 days to play with it, I can't go wrong.
take the DELL 2007

This monitor is incredible. Far better than the Westinghouse I had returned, and looks like a far better deal than the 226BW. The 1:1 aspect ratio scaling feature is extremely useful. Backlight bleeding is minimal, the colors are wonderful, and the viewing angles are excellent for a TN Panel.

For $289.99 + tax, this may be a permananet replacement for my aged Mitsubishi Diamondtron DP2070DB. The next few days will tell...

This monitor is incredible. Far better than the Westinghouse I had returned, and looks like a far better deal than the 226BW. The 1:1 aspect ratio scaling feature is extremely useful. Backlight bleeding is minimal, the colors are wonderful, and the viewing angles are excellent for a TN Panel.

For $289.99 + tax, this may be a permananet replacement for my aged Mitsubishi Diamondtron DP2070DB. The next few days will tell...

Yeah it is a beautiful piece of equipment. Im glad you are enjoying your monitor the same as me:D

As far as the 1:1 aspect ratio is concerned, does it do it automatically if set to another res other than native? Or is there a video card driver setting to do this thats applied thru the scaling setting? I know its kind of a stupid question and I dont really use another res other than the native. These damn monitors have almost as much to know about them as the rest of the damn hardware in a case lol

As far as the 1:1 aspect ratio is concerned, does it do it automatically if set to another res other than native? Or is there a video card driver setting to do this thats applied thru the scaling setting? I know its kind of a stupid question and I dont really use another res other than the native. These damn monitors have almost as much to know about them as the rest of the damn hardware in a case lol

Video drivers don't usually control 1:1 pixel mapping, aspect ratios (well, maybe) or stretching; it's usually the monitor's OSD.

Video drivers don't usually control 1:1 pixel mapping, aspect ratios (well, maybe) or stretching; it's usually the monitor's OSD.

under image control there's a "fill to aspect ratio" setting, I take it this is what we're talking about?

Yep its an option in the monitor's OSD...Ive only tried "fill to aspect ratio" when monitor set to native res. I had a 1280x1024 (19") old game set up and had black bars on the sides...images were not stretched at all.

Yep its an option in the monitor's OSD...Ive only tried "fill to aspect ratio" when monitor set to native res. I had a 1280x1024 (19") old game set up and had black bars on the sides...images were not stretched at all.

thats sweet I need to try this now :D

I've been considering a 226BW and even ordered one from the Egg, but canceled when I realized I might get an "A" panel. Went to the local BB and went thru their inventory looking for an "S". While waiting for the salesman to check the last unit in stock, I was looking at the HP 2207. Wow! I like it. Picked it up for the same price as the Samsung (on sale) and I've had it for 4 days and I'm totally satisfied. No dead pixels, and everything I've tried looks terrific. I had (sold in less than one day at work) a Viewsonic VX922, which was pretty good. But bigger is better!
I'm using a DVI cable, I think the colors look fantastic. I've used it with C&C3, FSX, Fear, LFS, and HL Episode 1. I thought there might be a ghosting issue, especially with LFS (Live for Speed), but it looks terrific. Watched a few movies, the fact that it has small bands of black on the top and bottom doesn't bother me at all.

I'd have to say I give it 5 stars!!! :D
The only con I would have is if I go to Costco and they have it for $50 less!

Geez louise what a great monitor!

So I've had my Viewsonic VX2235 since I bought it at Costco late last December. With the exception of its less than desirable default settings and some very odd and tiny 'tears' or holes in the anti-glare coating I was fairly satisfied with it. Ok, to be honest those imperfections really got on my nerves and I was dead set on returning it as soon as a truly superior 22" came along. Along comes the Samsung 226BW and my hopes skyrocketed. However the whole 'A' 'S' or 'C' panel lottery really ticked me off and I could not stand the thought of constantly returning a monitor just to get a 'S' model. Ok, so back to twiddling my thumbs...

Then along comes the HP W2207 and a slew of positive feedback from all of you and other satisfied users on the net. Add to the mix Circuit City's current $329 sale, a $40 off $200 or more coupon (a laser color printed rendition at that!) and the fact that CC is only a few blocks away and you have the recipe for a potentially happy purchase.

Total damage was $363.04, about $20+ cheaper than what I spent on the VX2235. Price seems a bit odd because I also got a two year guarantee for ~$44 (I also put the purchase on my Amex for added insurance). Money well spent since CC sure as hell ain't Costco when it comes to returns. Any problems pop up within the next two years I simply take it back and they either replace it or refund my $$$... :cool:

Ok, no dead or lazy pixels or other obviously undesirable defects. Those of you curious about the production batch MonInfo says 'Manufacture date............ 2007, ISO week 6', which I assume to mean the second week of Feb 2007.

When viewed in a dimly lit room and compared to the Viewsonic VX2235 the HP W2207 has...

• Superior backlight bleeding (or lack thereof) - As in only a bit at the top and bottom with a faint sliver detectable on the sides, it's like night and day
  • Superior colors right out of the box - Much deeper blacks to boot
  • Superior brightness & contrast right out of the box - Hooked it up and it took a minute or so to get the right balance. On the other hand I spent a ridiculous amount of time configuring the VX2235's colors and other settings
  • Superior screen uniformity - At similar brightness & contrast levels the VX2235 screen looked a bit blotchy when displaying a black screen
  • Superior stand and design - Adjustable, rotateable stand and two USB inputs vs the barebones design of the VX2235 and its rigid, 'minimal tilt only' stand. The W2207's housing is also smaller in general, so much so that when you glance at both monitors turned off and sitting side by side you'd swear they sported different size screens
  • Improved viewing angles - It's better but not remarkably so
  • 1:1 aspect ratio feature - The W2207 can either stretch a non 16:10 resolution to fit the screen or maintain the proper aspect ratio and provide black bars as a frame

Both monitors are excellent when it comes to response times in games. I loaded up some hairy levels on Painkiller and the W2207 seemed to be on par with the VX2235's excellent performance. No input lag, ghosting or streaking.

The one thing the VX2235 has over the W2207?

• One button signal input switching - With the VX2235 all you have to do is hit the '2' button next to the power button and you can instantly switch between the DVI and VGA inputs. With the W2207 you have to access the menu and select the 'Switch Video Input' option. Rather clunky but hey, we all have to make sacrifices... ;)

Geez louise what a great monitor!

When they line up the 22 inch monitors at both best buy and circuit city, the hp w2207 just simply stood out imo. I finally saw it compared next to a sammy 226w and it was an easy decision for me to get this hp. And to top it all off the adjustable/pivot capable stand just adds so much to the value - all for $289.99 plus tax.

Im thinking with the money I saved on this monitor I might buy a spyder2 express to calibrate it. It seems some users are getting even better color reproduction after calibration which just doesnt seem possible.

When they line up the 22 inch monitors at both best buy and circuit city, the hp w2207 just simply stood out imo. I finally saw it compared next to a sammy 226w and it was an easy decision for me to get this hp. And to top it all off the adjustable/pivot capable stand just adds so much to the value - all for $289.99 plus tax.

Im thinking with the money I saved on this monitor I might buy a spyder2 express to calibrate it. It seems some users are getting even better color reproduction after calibration which just doesnt seem possible.

I nearly overlooked the W2207 because it wasn't sitting with the other monitors on display (all of which were running those low rez CC promo animations that make any monitor look awful). I spotted the 226BW but it was daisy chained to a single source like most of the LCDs there and running that same animation. However the W2207 was all by its lonesome and hooked straight into a HP system. I asked one of the reps to kindly log into Vista so I could see the monitor running at its native res. He obliged and even let me fiddle around on my own. After fooling around for a bit I ran IE and went straight to a widescreen wallpaper site to find the same 1680x1050 images I use on my own system. The results totally blew me away, even with the reflection and glare from the surrounding lights. Whatever doubts I had were destroyed after that.

If you do decide to get that Spyder kindly post the config file here so we can use it!

i would also like to see thoes Spyder settings.......anyone;)
Me too. I think I have this monitor set up looking pretty good at the moment and would like to compare my settings to one of those color fandangled contraptions (i.e. the Spyder)

Back