The Official HardCraft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
A computer connected 24/7 to the net... not really a lot to it once its setup.

I've found that HDD IO is the most demanding resourse.

Last edited:
To run a server;

Have a reasonably stable internet connection (10MB pipe for great connection with 0% latency issues). I know Great ran on a 3MB pipe and while this suited the needs, still gives a bit of latency here or there.

Great HDD IO. I am putting my rig together now which I will dedicate a 80GB SSD to.

Memory is a plus

dual core or better processor with little to no extra demand (aka, a unit that your willing to sacrifice soly to minecraft)!

Since im not sure what you refer to as latency if my assumption is wrong feel free to correct me. My first assumption is blocks sometimes reappearing or not releasing the resource cube till shortly after. This a pure HDD IO issue, I would have this problem while directly connected through gigabit.

This becomes even more apperant when the nether is being used as 2x read write accurs. Its extremely obvious while watching the console when things like that accur.

Btw my upload is only 2Mb so its even worse then u thought :-p

10MB pipe, er LOL...

I have 50mbit down, and 1.5Mbit up and I'm hosting a vent + minecraft for about 8 of us with zero issues, the minecraft server is extremely lite it uses barely any CPU time and unless you've explored a MASSIVE area its memory usage is pretty small.

I have no issues playing other AAA games while my friends are logged in and working and this is on a Q9450@ 3.6GHz and 4Gb RAM, I don't think HDD read/writes are essential for performance, it streams map data back to the disk at intervals the active stuff is in memory, if you've got lagging updates for blocks it could be internet connection based or possibly running out of memory and needing swap.

You do not need a good computer or connection to host minecraft unless you want something daft like a 32+ player server.

10MB pipe, er LOL...

I have 50mbit down, and 1.5Mbit up and I'm hosting a vent + minecraft for about 8 of us with zero issues, the minecraft server is extremely lite it uses barely any CPU time and unless you've explored a MASSIVE area its memory usage is pretty small.

I have no issues playing other AAA games while my friends are logged in and working and this is on a Q9450@ 3.6GHz and 4Gb RAM, I don't think HDD read/writes are essential for performance, it streams map data back to the disk at intervals the active stuff is in memory, if you've got lagging updates for blocks it could be internet connection based or possibly running out of memory and needing swap.

You do not need a good computer or connection to host minecraft unless you want something daft like a 32+ player server.

And why wouldn't I?

I have the hardware for this as I stated before.... and a 10MB pipe is the lowest requirement in my view to run a stable minecraft server. 20+ would be ideal. Nice to know you have a 50+!

im checking out hosting option. I would like to keep the cost down in some way and have a 10 slots server. We dont need more than 10, we did hit 12 once but thats it.

brohoster is quite cheap. I could live with their price and i read around about them and seems reliable and lag free.

https://bros.brohoster.com/cart.php?gid=7

well if anyone want to dig in and read the forums about them , i would appreciate it . Im a noob when it come to hosting.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewforum.php?f=1027&sid=1122f21854ba1ecf6da29d5ef0bf99e8

No but that's 50Mbit down only, up is 1.5Mbit which is tiny compared to 10MB, you could easily run a 20 slot server on that, hell I've not even hit the limit on 1.5Mbit up, we've just never had more than about 8 of us at once it probably goes way higher.

are a bunch of us wanting to throw down money on hosting or something?
I would be cool with that. say paypal whoever once a month to cover the cost of hosting.
we get enough of us together we could afford a very very nice host.

are a bunch of us wanting to throw down money on hosting or something?
I would be cool with that. say paypal whoever once a month to cover the cost of hosting.
we get enough of us together we could afford a very very nice host.

Im already checking host and feedback from users. I would like to pay the least we could , but still have a good server enough for 10 users with nether enabled.

I basically want the same plugins as the server we have. Maybe 1-2 more but well see.

If we decide to split the cost, well do it on a yearly subscribtion. It will be easier this way, and the server will stay alive even if someone bails.

Im already checking host and feedback from users. I would like to pay the least we could , but still have a good server enough for 10 users with nether enabled.

I basically want the same plugins as the server we have. Maybe 1-2 more but well see.

If we decide to split the cost, well do it on a yearly subscribtion. It will be easier this way, and the server will stay alive even if someone bails.

I was looking as well. I'd rather get a slightly larger server (in terms of specs for max players) so that we can be assured that any problems that arise aren't from specs. I'm ok paying a little extra if needed.

So, for example, I'd get an Iron Tier server from brohoster if that's the host chosen. I'm by a computer much of the day so I'd be able to manage it pretty actively if that's the route we go.

I was looking as well. I'd rather get a slightly larger server (in terms of specs for max players) so that we can be assured that any problems that arise aren't from specs. I'm ok paying a little extra if needed.

So, for example, I'd get an Iron Tier server from brohoster if that's the host chosen. I'm by a computer much of the day so I'd be able to manage it pretty actively if that's the route we go.

same here.

want to go to a yearly subs or monthly? actually i like the semi-year option. Price is right for this

also... take a look at this one

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=1027&t=211168&sid=6889a00b45be38fd0f2fe43f86a8eea2

Our in-house control panel include:
Manage your server properties!
Manage whitelist, ops, ban list!
Backup manager (Manage your backup up to a week - 1 click download & restore world)
Ton of plugins : 1 click and install them!
Plugin Editor! - edit your plugin on the fly via web browser. No more ftp up & down..wasting so much time!
Reset your plugin to default if you make a mistake or mess up your world!

Last edited:
same here.

want to go to a yearly subs or monthly? actually i like the semi-year option. Price is right for this

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=1027&t=211168&sid=6889a00b45be38fd0f2fe43f86a8eea2

Backup manager (Manage your backup up to a week - 1 click download & restore world)
Plugin Editor! - edit your plugin on the fly via web browser. No more ftp up & down..wasting so much time!
Yea that one's not bad as long as performance is there. It's hard to tell which ones deliver consistently good performance.

If others want to contribute, I'd be ok paying the yearly fee and others can pay monthly or whatever. All of this is assuming g1 has to take down the server. Hopefully it doesn't get to that point!

same here.

I can help with the yearly cost as well. I use minecraft as a means to relax (think modeling clay, or painting...). Let me know what you guys come up with regarding which hosting company and price range you want to go with.

i'm pretty sure most people who played regularly on hashland would be more than happy to keep a good community going by helping pay for a server.

Depending on price I'll paypal money for a (sub)annual subscription. My budget is fairly limited, but I wouldn't mind contributing if I can.

All we have to do now is find out if Greatone server is coming to an end.
After that we need to choose the right server/provider
We need to see who will order it and manage it
And find out how much each of us are willing to pay for the cost of the server

If a new host is required, I imagine Nether would cease to exist since it counts as a second world?

I finally get the creepers thrown off Creeper Hill...... and I get invaded by skeletons.

It never ends! :D

All we have to do now is find out if Greatone server is coming to an end.

And find out how much each of us are willing to pay for the cost of the server

Honestly, if you all have no problem paying for a host, it will most likely be a better performer then what I can throw out there. If you can control it from a website then it should be super easy to manage and keep up with. Plus I obviously can't offer that kind of up time.

ok then , now we need to find good host.

I would go monthly for the first 1-2 months see if they are good, then pay a 6 months period if everything is good.

I wonder who is good... I don't know much about Minecraft hosts and there aren't exactly a lot of reviews. The last thing we want is some fly-by-night operation with all kinds of issues.

I wonder who is good... I don't know much about Minecraft hosts and there aren't exactly a lot of reviews. The last thing we want is some fly-by-night operation with all kinds of issues.

agree.

i would like to rent one from brohoster ... the 4slots and try it out. I would also like to know who wants to help pay the bills?

i just ordered a 6 slots server from brohoster to try them out. I will upload our world tonight to grief it :D

50.22.36.164:25640

destroy the world!

i just ordered a 6 slots server from brohoster to try them out. I will upload our world tonight to grief it :D

50.22.36.164:25640

destroy the world!

Ug....wish that chest of gunpowder was full.

Would have had a lot of fun doing 400-500 TNT all at once.

hardcraft actual world is uploading. I dont know how it will work but well see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back