The Official Guild Wars 2 thread

The September 25th update discusses fixes to dungeons:

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/info/news/Update-Notes-September-25th-2012

A couple of quotes:

"Updated vendors in the Ascalonian Catacombs and Caudecus’s Manor to sell level 80 versions of their unique skins rather than level 60 and 70. Players who purchased the level 60 and 70 versions will soon be given the opportunity to upgrade those to level 80 without having to use transmutation stones."

"All of these changes have been the result of an original exploit which was letting players receive upwards of 20 levels by completing a single dungeon run. We initially closed this exploit, which caused some new problems. The result is this new system which should increase dungeon rewards for players who play though them normally but help curb inflation of rewards for those who are using exploitative methods to farm them."

The rest too long to quote here.

I am getting near the end of the personal story and about ready to uninstall this shit. I don't enjoy the story stuff at all now. I am just playing and waiting for something to fail which will make me redo the quests, which can be long. I've had numerous quest bug out on one, or be just plain annoying. Now I will say most of them go fine, but when they go bad it is extremely frustrating:

-NPCs aggro everything, for no reason
-NPCs die due to aggroing everything
-NPCs die when a monster closet spawn out of nowhere and drops 7 mobs on your head.
-After being ressed, often NPCs will no longer follow me
-NPCs that just stop fighting or moving after being ressed
-Quests that could not be completed because the trigger NPC was not following me
-Fell through the ground using Mesmer Phase Retreat. Repeatedly. Once this happened to me when I was 30 minutes into a quest. Log out and start over.
-"Yellow Objects" that need to be killed. I am playing a Condition Damage Mesmer. The yellow objects don't take condition damage, so I need to whoop on the things for far too long, usually while they are shooting me OR mobs are respawning
-Mobs respawn almost immediately. WHY?!?
-Some of the longer quests have impossible "Retries". Usually because many NPCs have died and now everything has respawned.

AAARRRGGGHHH

writing_process.gif

writing_process.gif

writing_process.gif

Last edited:
There are more bots than people in a lot of places now ><. ANET better get their shit together

Ranger engineers warriors

And they are so obvious., teleporting around or spamming an attack in one direction constantly 24/7

I like some of the concepts of this game, and I agree they fixed many really annoying things. However, it IS just too damn easy. You get xp for everything. I swear I could fart and get 30xp... All you have to do is walk around the map and kill a few mobs around the heart area's and boom, massive xp again! No skill required! You die, no problem, you get another chance to live and with no consequences. I swear, this game was supposed to be played by a stoner while high and just vegetating.

After weeks of playing and I am only lvl 22 because I just cant stay interested in it. Log in and after 20-30 minutes I am bored as hell. I would love to just pvp my way up but it's f'ing impossible to get in the battlegrounds.

I like the way AC did it where anyone can attack anyone anywhere for any reason. Eve Online was the best pvp setup. Not only can anyone attack anyone anywhere for any reason, but everything in the entire game is pvp oriented. Trade, "Crafting", transporting, mining, all of it is pvp oriented.

Not only can anyone attack anyone anywhere for any reason, but everything in the entire game is pvp oriented. Trade, "Crafting", transporting, mining, all of it is pvp oriented.

eve is a sandbox, and vastly different than almost every theme park mmo out there. GW2 never billed itself as anything like a sandbox and if you were expecting such you were ill-informed. As much as people say they want a sandbox game, there really doesn't seem to be much of a market for them, look at darkfall and mortal online, they're the only 2 fantasy sandboxes made recently that I'm aware of and they could never even get the traction for decent development, let alone large communities.

Yes, leveling is "easy" but its easy in pretty much every game out there. I don't see why it should really be "hard" just to level, and I'm also not sure what you are referring to, do you mean "hard" as in difficulty or "hard" as in grindy and lengthy. It seems from your statements about not liking to get xp for everything that its the latter. Most MMOs nowadays, however, don't really prescribe to the old school grind for 4 months just to reach max level philosophy, and I personally am glad. I just hit 80 on my first char in GW2 yesterday, and have been playing as much as I can since head start. I don't have the time or patience for an ungodly grind anymore, I think they struck the right balance for people like me, but of course people want different things out of games. It seems like what you wanted wasn't ever what GW2 planned or intended to be.

I'm not criticizing your preferences, I just thought I'd point out that everything you mention is stuff that you could have known before you ever bought the game, seems kind of weird to buy it without looking into it enough to know the basics.

I like some of the concepts of this game, and I agree they fixed many really annoying things. However, it IS just too damn easy. You get xp for everything. I swear I could fart and get 30xp... All you have to do is walk around the map and kill a few mobs around the heart area's and boom, massive xp again! No skill required! You die, no problem, you get another chance to live and with no consequences. I swear, this game was supposed to be played by a stoner while high and just vegetating.

After weeks of playing and I am only lvl 22 because I just cant stay interested in it. Log in and after 20-30 minutes I am bored as hell. I would love to just pvp my way up but it's f'ing impossible to get in the battlegrounds.

I like the way AC did it where anyone can attack anyone anywhere for any reason. Eve Online was the best pvp setup. Not only can anyone attack anyone anywhere for any reason, but everything in the entire game is pvp oriented. Trade, "Crafting", transporting, mining, all of it is pvp oriented.

Certainly sounds so easy if after weeks you're only level 22. You got a LONG ways to go, and its not that easy, its certainly gets tougher as you progress. Mobs get much tougher. Howver, if you're only after a pure challenge, give Dark Souls a try.

Are they all Greatsword Warriors? Every bot i have seen is a GS Warrior :eek:

Most bots are Rangers with a bear pet or Engineers with turrets. Anet seems to have cleaned up a lot of them as of yesterday, lots of areas that i visit frequently and have seen the same bots there for a week now are gone.

How's the PvP in this game? Class balance? I remember reading that the PvP experience was pretty solid back in the first game, but I just never got around to trying it.

I'll be honest and say that standard PvE doesn't interest me too much at the moment. Though, from what I've read the game auto-adjusts your character up to be on even footing with the other players and allows some form of a character advancement through the available PvP. I like the idea of being able to drop in, join the mayhem for a while, and log out when I'm satisfied. Sounds like it might just suit me perfectly.

How's the PvP in this game? Class balance? I remember reading that the PvP experience was pretty solid back in the first game, but I just never got around to trying it.

I'll be honest and say that standard PvE doesn't interest me too much at the moment. Though, from what I've read the game auto-adjusts your character up to be on even footing with the other players and allows some form of a character advancement through the available PvP. I like the idea of being able to drop in, join the mayhem for a while, and log out when I'm satisfied. Sounds like it might just suit me perfectly.

From what i have seen so far PVP is pretty awesome and fairly balanced for how new it is. Theres an obvious advantage for ranged but that dont mean a skilled melee wont do well.

BiH115 has made some great points about dickheads in other MMO's.There is a much more friendly atmosphere in GW2 than any other MMO that I have played. They stopped a lot of the annoying things that caused people to be dicks. Like

Resource harvesting - You would be just about to mine ore and get attacked by a mob and some other player would come along and mine the ore. ARRGGGHHH!!

Drops from Mobs for events - Like having to collect 15 troll eyeballs but having to kill 100 trolls before get 15 drops, what a pain!!

Kill stealing - Personal annoyance, you would just be about to attack a mob and some range attacker would attack it first, so no XP or recgonition for the kill if you needed to kill 10 of them or something.

Ninja Looting - People stealing loot that they couldn't use by accident or by design. That was annoying crap.

There's more I am sure, but those 3 aren't issues in GW2 which makes Tyria a much nicer place to be!!

Theres a more friendly atmosphere because there is NO player interaction at all its completely discouraged. Almost everything is designed to be solo and the parts that are not automatically put you into a group of random people that do not communicate, do not work together and may as well be NPCs.

You can do every single thing in this game without ever typing a single word. Hell you could turn the chat completely off and it wouldnt affect the game one bit.

Theres a more friendly atmosphere because there is NO player interaction at all its completely discouraged. Almost everything is designed to be solo and the parts that are not automatically put you into a group of random people that do not communicate, do not work together and may as well be NPCs.

You can do every single thing in this game without ever typing a single word. Hell you could turn the chat completely off and it wouldnt affect the game one bit.

Sadly, I agree here in PvE except dungeons where team play is certainly required.

From what i have seen so far PVP is pretty awesome and fairly balanced for how new it is. Theres an obvious advantage for ranged but that dont mean a skilled melee wont do well.

Sounds good. Thanks for the reply.

the big gripe I had with GW1 was the constant nerfing.
They nerfed nerfs just to say they did their daily nerf.

Now gw2 they have nerfed cooking for leveling.
My buddy started with the intro of the game. He went 1-400 cooking and 9 levels and it cost him 2 gold.
Now it takes 10+ gold and a LOT of recipes have been altered and can no longer be purchased from vendors.
He stated a lot that was changing and nothing for the better.
Overall his thought was they make it super easy to get stuff and level to promote sales and talk of the game and now they are cleaning it all out.

How true I don't know but he is NOT a happy camper on this and a lot of other stuff.

I said welcome to the world of GW they nerf to keep in practice for when they need to nerf.
They are a total joke.

I did tell him one good thing to look forward to.
IF they do halloween like they did in GW1 he WILL be impressed.

Last edited:

Completely disagree from my experiences. Every time that I get into an event and just jump in, all the people there are talking and everyone's very friendly. I've got a chock-full buddy list of people that I talk to daily, even if I only ever did one event with them. Way more social than any other game could ever hope to be IMO. Sure there's no set groups, but that doesn't mean you can't try to go around that by talking to people and getting out there. Working well so far for me.

seen videos of the game and how do you tell who is an npc and who is a player chr ?
They all look alike and all names are green.

the big gripe I had with GW1 was the constant nerfing.
They nerfed nerfs just to say they did their daily nerf.

Now gw2 they have nerfed cooking for leveling.
My buddy started with the intro of the game. He went 1-400 cooking and 9 levels and it cost him 2 gold.
Now it takes 10+ gold and a LOT of recipes have been altered and can no longer be purchased from vendors.
He stated a lot that was changing and nothing for the better.
Overall his thought was they make it super easy to get stuff and level to promote sales and talk of the game and now they are cleaning it all out.

How true I don't know but he is NOT a happy camper on this and a lot of other stuff.

I said welcome to the world of GW they nerf to keep in practice for when they need to nerf.
They are a total joke.

I did tell him one good thing to look forward to.
IF they do halloween like they did in GW1 he WILL be impressed.

I don't consider the cooking fix to be a nerf but a fix to an exploit. Everyone figured out gaining levels was about 4x faster through cooking than through other means of crafting, how is that not an exploit? It needed to be fixed and so it was. Same with the CM dungeon, people were simply running that dungeon over and over to gain levels and XP faster than any other means in the game, so they fixed it, how is that a nerf and not an exploit?

People confuse nerfs with fixing exploits far too often. The game is new and there are some adjustments to be made to balance it and that's what Anet has been busy doing. They've actually been quite patient about adjustments and allowed quite a bit to happen before making any fixes and stated in their blog that they don't want to make any quick knee-jerk corrections until the game has some time to settle.

I don't consider the cooking fix to be a nerf but a fix to an exploit. Everyone figured out gaining levels was about 4x faster through cooking than through other means of crafting, how is that not an exploit? It needed to be fixed and so it was. Same with the CM dungeon, people were simply running that dungeon over and over to gain levels and XP faster than any other means in the game, so they fixed it, how is that a nerf and not an exploit?

People confuse nerfs with fixing exploits far too often. The game is new and there are some adjustments to be made to balance it and that's what Anet has been busy doing. They've actually been quite patient about adjustments and allowed quite a bit to happen before making any fixes and stated in their blog that they don't want to make any quick knee-jerk corrections until the game has some time to settle.

CM hella needed an adjustment. especially when compared to other dungeons it was a joke and gave a lot of silver and exp.
17s and 20k exp in 30-45 minutes.

He made that post 5 hours after he bought the game. Think that's just disagreement or influence from outside sources? I think the latter.

office_space_kit_mat.jpg

Alright back on topic...after the patch last night dungeons are still yielding me only 15 tokens as opposed to the advertised 60. Class action lawsuit or small claims court?

I got 60 tokens last night on my first dungeon run post-patch but it was also one I had not run in over a week. Prior to the patch I couldn't even get 60 tokens on my first time ever run of a dungeon.

This is the first MMO that I have played that I have done tons of quests with players I have just met. Not just with guild members or friends but totally random people. There is lots of interaction!! I have no problem stopping players that are running by and asking them for a hand. Or if I see them doing an event, joining in and asking them where they are off to next. I have spent hours with 2 or 3 players this way. And in the main it's been good fun.

And everything you say is true of all MMO's,you can turn off the chat and it wouldn't effect the game at all, so I am not sure what point you are making or how that changes whether a community is friendly or not? It's just like real life, if you don't make an effort to communicate why should anyone communicate with you? And it's BS to say that there is a friendly atmosphere because there is NO player interaction. That would mean that there is no atmosphere at all, without communication how can you say something is friendly or not?

The only times that there seems to be no communication is when there are too many players doing a dynamic event. And as I said in my previous post, I think this is the main problem of the game, too many players, because any time I have been playing when it's quiet dynamic events are much better. Player interaction is improved and it's way more fun.

But other than that, I have spend ages with other players, whether it be helping people with jump puzzles or getting helped, or doing 5 or 6 events in a row with the same couple of players and having a good laugh at the same time.

Completely disagree from my experiences. Every time that I get into an event and just jump in, all the people there are talking and everyone's very friendly. I've got a chock-full buddy list of people that I talk to daily, even if I only ever did one event with them. Way more social than any other game could ever hope to be IMO. Sure there's no set groups, but that doesn't mean you can't try to go around that by talking to people and getting out there. Working well so far for me.

What magical server do you play on? You are literally the only person I have seen saying anything other than what I have said.

It's just about the biggest complaint I have seen in the game. People jump into an event and just mash buttons like zombies. No communication rarely any support and few ever bothering to res the fallen.

Personally I make it my mission in events to run around reviving since nobody else will.

What magical server do you play on? You are literally the only person I have seen saying anything other than what I have said.

It's just about the biggest complaint I have seen in the game. People jump into an event and just mash buttons like zombies. No communication rarely any support and few ever bothering to res the fallen.

Personally I make it my mission in events to run around reviving since nobody else will.

Im with him...I have more people being friendly then ignoring...unless you count the bots :rolleyes:

I think part of the problem is that there's little incentive to cooperate. I don't think you get any boosts/bonuses for reviving fellow players. Something simple like a "Teamplayer Boon" that gave a small perk to speed, might, and fury would do wonders for team efforts. Humans are naturally self-centered when they aren't being observed, welcome to the internet. Game developers need to play to that tendency.

I think part of the problem is that there's little incentive to cooperate. I don't think you get any boosts/bonuses for reviving fellow players. Something simple like a "Teamplayer Boon" that gave a small perk to speed, might, and fury would do wonders for team efforts. Humans are naturally self-centered when they aren't being observed, welcome to the internet. Game developers need to play to that tendency.

Boggles my mind that you guys are having uncooperative people. Any type of group event at all has mass amounts of people reviving. Tried to revive my friend earlier while doing Tequatl and I actually got the "Too many resurrectors." error.

What server do you play on where there are such asshats is what I want to know, should be fairly easy to kick that servers ass into the ground for WvWvW. Anyways our magical server is Borliss Pass and everything you've said goes against what I see when I play.

Sure there are a lot of button pushing mashing zombies present, but resses are pretty consistent unless I'm dead in the aoe zone or some other hazard is in the way. It is just like CPR, you got to make sure the area is safe first or else you're just dead weight.

Boggles my mind that you guys are having uncooperative people. Any type of group event at all has mass amounts of people reviving. Tried to revive my friend earlier while doing Tequatl and I actually got the "Too many resurrectors." error.
I haven't had much problem either. I've never died in a fight because no one revived me. I'm not sure my server (Blackgate) is as happy a place as some of the others described, but overall people have been good and I've had many a good group/DE. I was saying if the developers wanted to sway players easily, incentives work wonders.

You get XP from it...

...and fell through the ground again. On a L80 Personal Story mission, after like 30 minutes of fighting. The /stuck command doesn't work :( Anet won't provide a /suicide command, so I have been at this for like 45 minutes trying to get my illusions to shoot the mobs through the floor.

gw167.jpg

//UPDATE: I finished the encounter by shooting through the floor when the boss came close to me :D Also I think I was getting in hits by shattering Illusions. Fortunately I didn't have to go anywhere else, that was the last part of the quest so I could just warp out :p

Last edited:
This will be reopened shortly, dealing with some members who can't behave like adults.

Oh and ocellaris, that really sucks. I hate glitches that make you repeat content. :(

*OK guys, sorry for the interruption, thread reopened and hopefully with less thread crapping. Looks like an awesome game. :)

Last edited:
...and fell through the ground again. On a L80 Personal Story mission, after like 30 minutes of fighting. The /stuck command doesn't work,. Anet won't provide a /suicide command, so I have been at this for like 45 minutes trying to get my illusions to shoot the mobs through the floor. Great game.

pic was here
I seen something similar happen to a guy the other day, forgot what area it was in though, lvl 20 area or so. Was actually quite funny for me to see it but I'm sure he wasn't laughing though. It was a cave area and it collapsed after we took out the 4 structures and it's supposed to push you out if your in the entrance but it didn't with him, lol.

eve is a sandbox, and vastly different than almost every theme park mmo out there. GW2 never billed itself as anything like a sandbox and if you were expecting such you were ill-informed. As much as people say they want a sandbox game, there really doesn't seem to be much of a market for them, look at darkfall and mortal online, they're the only 2 fantasy sandboxes made recently that I'm aware of and they could never even get the traction for decent development, let alone large communities.

Yes, leveling is "easy" but its easy in pretty much every game out there. I don't see why it should really be "hard" just to level, and I'm also not sure what you are referring to, do you mean "hard" as in difficulty or "hard" as in grindy and lengthy. It seems from your statements about not liking to get xp for everything that its the latter. Most MMOs nowadays, however, don't really prescribe to the old school grind for 4 months just to reach max level philosophy, and I personally am glad. I just hit 80 on my first char in GW2 yesterday, and have been playing as much as I can since head start. I don't have the time or patience for an ungodly grind anymore, I think they struck the right balance for people like me, but of course people want different things out of games. It seems like what you wanted wasn't ever what GW2 planned or intended to be.

I'm not criticizing your preferences, I just thought I'd point out that everything you mention is stuff that you could have known before you ever bought the game, seems kind of weird to buy it without looking into it enough to know the basics.

No, I only bought the game because my friends drug me kicking and screaming into it haha.

They still have not fixed FOV either! It should be at least 2-3 times what it is now...

Anyway, by easy to level, I mean you never have to use your brain. You never even have to use both hands to play and level. I am not necessarily a holy trinity guy, but damn, the complexity is just too low and the game just started. It only goes down hill from the beginning in that regard.

As far as it not being grindy, I agree, but you have to admit when you have people hitting max level in just a few days, it was far too short. If you could put the minimum around 4 months or so I think it would work out a lot better.

No, I only bought the game because my friends drug me kicking and screaming into it haha.

They still have not fixed FOV either! It should be at least 2-3 times what it is now...

Anyway, by easy to level, I mean you never have to use your brain. You never even have to use both hands to play and level. I am not necessarily a holy trinity guy, but damn, the complexity is just too low and the game just started. It only goes down hill from the beginning in that regard.

As far as it not being grindy, I agree, but you have to admit when you have people hitting max level in just a few days, it was far too short. If you could put the minimum around 4 months or so I think it would work out a lot better.

Its not too short, just because you can level fast, doesn't mean you've experienced the game, there's so much shit to do its almost retarded.

Its not too short, just because you can level fast, doesn't mean you've experienced the game, there's so much shit to do its almost retarded.

This.

I don't know how people can level so quickly and still say that they experienced the game. But I guess I am a really slow player, because I my 5 character slots used up and my highest level character is only level 50. And, what I like about this game, is that I dont feel any pressure to get to level 80. I don't go around doing the same event chains 20 times because it gives me so much XP that I can gain 10 levels in an hour. I might as well get a bot if that's all I want to do. I try to do unique events all the time but if I find them getting too grindy, I just go craft for a while or do some jump puzzles, or explore some of the map or get some people together and take down some of the champions. Or if all that sounds boring I can do some of the dungeons.

Back