The Official Guild Wars 2 thread

I've been having WvWvW issues with it being horribly unbalanced and some cheating. There are enough zones to level 2 characters to 80 without doing a zone more than once. If you also get your crafting to 400 you could spread that over 3 characters to 80. If your a one character kinda person like me, there is no such thing as outleveling the zone. The is a lack of PVE endgame, but it's Guild Wars, there isn't supposed to be a PVE endgame ... yet.

Definately got my $60 worth from 0 to 80. I'm going to wait for WvWvW to get a little more balanced. Best part is, I'm not paying anything, so I log in every other day and play the AH a little to make some money. They'll come out with more stuff in the future.

MoP can suck a fat one after Cata. I'll give it a try after the scroll of resurrection gives you a free upgrade.

in LOTRO, i could ride on my horse and actually enjoy the landscape without being attacked every 3 gallops..

i am glad it isn't like lotro. and if i wanted to watch scenery i'd probably prefer a pbs special or something to getting it out of a video game. i want to play... not watch. eve is the perfect game for people that like to watch more than interact.

i got one for ya...i've been thinking about LOTRO..i played it for a few weeks...the best zone design i've seen in a game...gw2 has TOO MANY mobs...i'm really getting sick of these games making it 'whack a mole' just running through a zone

in LOTRO, i could ride on my horse and actually enjoy the landscape without being attacked every 3 gallops..theres no way in gw2..i have to go to a city just to get away from constant mobs..and don't get me started on the mob density in ORR..omfg
This. It's irritating as all hell. The game literally forces you to fight, especially in Orr. And I end up killing things because it's much much quicker than trying to run past, get pulled back, get stunned or chained, broken leg, knocked back, try to run again, repeat. I hate when games "force" you to do something. Anyways, Borderlands 2.

Thanks for the feedback. I also have a question about the Smoke and Fire guild and the HardForum group. Are these similar? I know what a guild is but Bowhunter was refering to a group in another thread and did not know what he ment.

I got your pm. I will add ya tomorrow! And yea I meant guild :p

This game is filled with bots. I can't believe how bad it is when the game is barely a month old

I have been having a lot of fun with this game but I am concerned about end game. I dont want to hit a brick wall when I am 80. Outside of armor skins, what is there to look forward to? On the plus side, ive already justified my 60.00 purchase with the journey to 80.

If the PVP doesn't interest you, you could start another Class/profession. Like you said, you've justified the purchase already. Though I do wish there was some more PvE stuff at end game.

I personally can't bring myself to play anymore. I hit 80, ran some exp dungeons, did some pvp, etc. However, I still just feel like theres no point to the endgame. One of the biggest parts of an mmo is a constant feeling of progression, and GW2 doesn't have that at max level. Unless you really care about item skins.

I never thought I'd be saying this while I was leveling in GW2, but I actually purchased MoP today.

I feel the same way.

I feel I got decent value out of the game, but SPvP and WvW still have a lot of issues. The more I play, the less I feel like I progressed anywhere, and I partly feel the downleveling to do the content is part of the problem. The fun of these types of games is working toward feeling like a badass, and even when I am level whatever, I can go back and get pwned by some level 7 ghost.

If not for Borderlands 2, I might be checking out roflpandas.

I feel the same way.

I feel I got decent value out of the game, but SPvP and WvW still have a lot of issues. The more I play, the less I feel like I progressed anywhere, and I partly feel the downleveling to do the content is part of the problem. The fun of these types of games is working toward feeling like a badass, and even when I am level whatever, I can go back and get pwned by some level 7 ghost.

If not for Borderlands 2, I might be checking out roflpandas.

:rolleyes: sigh.

I did my WoW time, man. I've EARNED the right to say it. :D

Maybe it is just rose colored glasses, but GW2 PvE just doesn't give me the same joy I had playing WoW back in the day, even when I eventually flamed out and hated the game, then came back, then flamed out and hated it, then came back, etc. WoW did a lot to make the game more casual friendly which is what it has to be for people like me who started playing in college and now have families and careers.

I did my WoW time, man. I've EARNED the right to say it. :D

Maybe it is just rose colored glasses, but GW2 PvE just doesn't give me the same joy I had playing WoW back in the day, even when I eventually flamed out and hated the game, then came back, then flamed out and hated it, then came back, etc. WoW did a lot to make the game more casual friendly which is what it has to be for people like me who started playing in college and now have families and careers.

I've been playing since Beta, and I can't honestly understand the hate for the Pandaren. It's PART OF THE LORE. IT IS. That's what bothers me the most. I actually like the questing and lore in WoW, so that never bothered me, but everyone seems to be up in arms over the damn Pandas. I'm sorry, I guess Draenei are more believable. :eek:

I've been playing since Beta, and I can't honestly understand the hate for the Pandaren. It's PART OF THE LORE. IT IS. That's what bothers me the most. I actually like the questing and lore in WoW, so that never bothered me, but everyone seems to be up in arms over the damn Pandas. I'm sorry, I guess Draenei are more believable. :eek:

Blizzard would have been better off if they didn't use the Pandaran as an April Fools joke.

Blizzard would have been better off if they didn't use the Pandaran as an April Fools joke.

I suppose it is partly them, but it's just getting freaking annoying to have to listen to people I used to play WoW with, the only reason they're not playing is because of the damn race. Seriously? That's what's making you not play? I've stopped talking to them... :rolleyes:

Yeah, that's not the reason I stopped. I have no problem with the Pandas, even though it did start out as a joke. I stopped playing because I did the end-game content and that was that. Was not going to pay $15 for a chat program.

I might start playing it again, we'll see. I like the lore and story of Warcraft a lot more than GW2. Not that GW2 is horrible by any means, but WoW has had a lot more time and development to do everything.

I've had some more time to play finally.

I have about 43 hours invested into my level 43 Ranger almost 44.

Been enjoying the leveling so far mix of questing, dungeons and pvp.

its definitely worth the $60 bux as the amount of hours per dollar is huge.

yes their may be no long end game right now but if you compare this game to The Secret World this game is 10x longer, bigger, more content and cheaper.

I don't think anyone has to go "back" to anything. GW2 is a game you can just pick back up and play if you want. I did that with GW1 a few times over the years. There's no reason to condemn a game because it's not your go to game every day whenever you have free time. The only MMO's that require a commitment are sub based games and f2p games that require monetary expenditure to 'keep up' or just games in general that require constant play time to remain relevant.

Here's a good Reddit post about the "end game". in GW2. I commented on it as well (ZannX): http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/10idoe/gw2_endgame_model_is_fine_execution_doesnt_make/

The crux of this issue is a lot of people are comparing WoW to GW2 and complaining that the latter is not as fully formed or fleshed out.

That would make sense, seeing as one is an aged veteran nearing retirement and the other is a prepubescent child. The latter doesn't have the fully developed feel to it that you are looking for because, it, well, has not had the time to age and grow.

I looked at yesterday's patch, which while not fully comprehensive in addressing every complaint that has been made ever, did make an attempt to make some of the dungeons more relevant, and I realized that while not everyone will agree with the changes, Arenanet was making responsive, significant changes to the game.

Which, at this point less than two months since gold, is all I can ask for at this point.

Some people have complained that GW2 is not as social as they'd like, especially compared to GW1. Others have complained that they feel the forced interaction in dynamic events is annoying. Looking back at GW1, I found these diverging criticisms interesting.
If you recall, GW1 began forcing people to team up for every major mission, so every town hub was overflowing with people looking for groups. And especially once Factions was released, having to rely on the wrong group meant disaster and wasted time (Henchmen were not acceptable substitutes for real people). Some people hated that. As time went by , the AI of CPU allies was improved, and they made Heroes available to folks to play. Thus, GW1 became a good single player game as well.

What people forget, however, is that transition took several years. So give GW2 time as well before passing summary judgment. It is true, this game may never consume your life 24/7, and perhaps you won't read news stories of people dying in Korean cybercafes after playing GW2 for 40 hours nonstop, but honestly, it can still be a darn good game.

I think I'm going back to WoW :(

I've been thinking about going back too, I haven't played for a few years, but I did buy cataclysm and only played to 82 or 83.

The crux of this issue is a lot of people are comparing WoW to GW2 and complaining that the latter is not as fully formed or fleshed out.

That would make sense, seeing as one is an aged veteran nearing retirement and the other is a prepubescent child. The latter doesn't have the fully developed feel to it that you are looking for because, it, well, has not had the time to age and grow.

I looked at yesterday's patch, which while not fully comprehensive in addressing every complaint that has been made ever, did make an attempt to make some of the dungeons more relevant, and I realized that while not everyone will agree with the changes, Arenanet was making responsive, significant changes to the game.

Which, at this point less than two months since gold, is all I can ask for at this point.

Some people have complained that GW2 is not as social as they'd like, especially compared to GW1. Others have complained that they feel the forced interaction in dynamic events is annoying. Looking back at GW1, I found these diverging criticisms interesting.
If you recall, GW1 began forcing people to team up for every major mission, so every town hub was overflowing with people looking for groups. And especially once Factions was released, having to rely on the wrong group meant disaster and wasted time (Henchmen were not acceptable substitutes for real people). Some people hated that. As time went by , the AI of CPU allies was improved, and they made Heroes available to folks to play. Thus, GW1 became a good single player game as well.

What people forget, however, is that transition took several years. So give GW2 time as well before passing summary judgment. It is true, this game may never consume your life 24/7, and perhaps you won't read news stories of people dying in Korean cybercafes after playing GW2 for 40 hours nonstop, but honestly, it can still be a darn good game.

My main problems with GW2 are

The interaction, or lack thereof. People say oh there's lots of interaction, I'm sorry but there's really not. I don't call 5 or more people zerging down an event where no one talks interaction. I may as well play with NPCs.

Next I don't feel like I get any really cool abilities. I remember when I played wow and while leveling I got lots of neat abilities. As a priest I got shadowform, then vampiric touch, then dispersion. In this game I feel like the abilities are so bland. Even the ultimate ones.

I think they do pvp well as far as instanced Pvp goes. WvW seems like a giant zerg though.

I just don't think of it as an MMO, it really doesn't feel like one. I do like the story, makes you feel important

I've been thinking about going back too, I haven't played for a few years, but I did buy cataclysm and only played to 82 or 83.

My main problems with GW2 are

The interaction, or lack thereof. People say oh there's lots of interaction, I'm sorry but there's really not. I don't call 5 or more people zerging down an event where no one talks interaction. I may as well play with NPCs.

Next I don't feel like I get any really cool abilities. I remember when I played wow and while leveling I got lots of neat abilities. As a priest I got shadowform, then vampiric touch, then dispersion. In this game I feel like the abilities are so bland. Even the ultimate ones.

I think they do pvp well as far as instanced Pvp goes. WvW seems like a giant zerg though.

I just don't think of it as an MMO, it really doesn't feel like one. I do like the story, makes you feel important

Not the experience I've been having, lots of great conversations during events with people (met A LOT of people this way, and continue to talk to them). I haven't had any experience like that with WoW. I've met some people, as early as back in Vanilla, and it just felt bland as hell. "Ok you done? *leaves*". Nothing like that in GW. YMMV of course.

I don't think anyone has to go "back" to anything. GW2 is a game you can just pick back up and play if you want. I did that with GW1 a few times over the years.
I've done this exact thing. I played the crap out of GW1, then skipped the expansions, then bought all the expansions a couple years later cheaply from a game key site.

I go on month-long binges every so often and it's great.

Chirp Chirp. I'm still enjoying it even with its shortcomings. Finally got around to the AC dungeon last night for the first time. Tough, died about 5 or 6 times with my L31 Guardian but we managed to complete it. Trying to level 6 characters at the same time is slow, I probably could have had a level 80 by now instead of two L31's and four L21's, but I got plenty of time to get to the end.

I'm still having a ton of fun with it. I got my warrior to 60, and finally started checking out wvw its a ton of fun. Now that my main is 60, I started a sylvari mesmer with the intentions of making her PvP/wvw focused, while my warrior is pve focused.

I really wanted to love this game, but in essence it's just another WoW clone. The few things they added aren't enough to offset the massive amount of WoW'esque stuff.

Some day I think we will see a revolution in the MMORPG market that will change everything and be loved by the masses like WoW was/is. But it's going to take some big changes and super creative people to reinvent the genre. I look forward to it.

In essence, every class in this game is a self-healing DPS class. Holy trinity (Healing, DPS, Tank) is a far better setup in virtually every regard. You don't even have to organize anything in GW2 nor talk to anyone. It's like the McDonald's of MMORPG's.

I really wanted to love this game, but in essence it's just another WoW clone. The few things they added aren't enough to offset the massive amount of WoW'esque stuff.

Some day I think we will see a revolution in the MMORPG market that will change everything and be loved by the masses like WoW was/is. But it's going to take some big changes and super creative people to reinvent the genre. I look forward to it.
Most of what WoW did existed before WoW. I'm not sure if half you posters simply didn't game or just weren't cognizant prior to 2004.
In essence, every class in this game is a self-healing DPS class. Holy trinity (Healing, DPS, Tank) is a far better setup in virtually every regard. You don't even have to organize anything in GW2 nor talk to anyone. It's like the McDonald's of MMORPG's.
Which is why it's awesome. Why would I want to depend on two other asshats to get the job done? I see a problem where gamers are so broken and belittled by the Trinity system that they simply can't conform to a better play style. "OMG, we aren't forced to group or make acquaintances through game mechanics? I actually have to... TALK to someone?"

Which is why it's awesome. Why would I want to depend on two other asshats to get the job done? I see a problem where gamers are so broken and belittled by the Trinity system that they simply can't conform to a better play style. "OMG, we aren't forced to group or make acquaintances through game mechanics? I actually have to... TALK to someone?"

Because then you just end up with an entire group of asshat glass cannon cowboys counting on everyone else to not die anyway. Almost nothing in the game encourages group play, its just zerg and DPS spam. Many other games encourage group play much better by having people stick to roles and making it easier to find groups. In GW2 the group mechanic is "Don't the the first person to die" I thought WoW players were terrible, GW2 players seem down another tier below that.

Last edited:

That really has nothing to do with trinity or not.

The issue right now is that the content doesn't require strategizing or having a coherent "group build".

The perfect example of a skill based game with a lot of combat depth without a trinity is Vindictus. When GW2 was advertised as an action game, I was expect a lot more Vindictus and a lot less WoW. What we have right now is essentially WoW with a dodge and some crappy content that doesn't really highlight the capabilities of GW2's basic combat differences with WoW.

Because then you just end up with an entire group of asshat glass cannon cowboys counting on everyone else to not die anyway. Almost nothing in the game encourages group play, its just zerg and DPS spam. Many other games encourage group play much better by having people stick to roles and making it easier to find groups. I thought WoW players were terrible, GW2 players seem down another tier below that.
Your statements contradict each other. If there's no requirements for builds/stats/class, then grouping is easier because it's less exclusive (instead of spamming general chat "LF1M Healer PST LOLOLOL" over and over for an hour+). You can't be upset that they made it easier to group up and then be upset WHEN EXACTLY THAT HAPPENS. If you're looking for more exclusive content, try the dungeons and find people you like to play with or get IRL friends to join up. There are a ton of guilds that do team work for runs on dungeons and everything else. This is the perfect example of players not knowing what they want or how to play when the game doesn't lead them by the hand. WoW was very good at leading you by the hand, GW2 is a little more open.

Trinity is far superior to the "everyone is the same" playstyle of GW2. GW2 requires zero thought and has zero challenge. Just zerg things and spam DPS is the limit of GW2's content. For some people that is fun because it doesn't require more than two brain cells. For people that actually like a game to challenge them, it's crap.

Trinity is far superior to the "everyone is the same" playstyle of GW2. GW2 requires zero thought and has zero challenge. Just zerg things and spam DPS is the limit of GW2's content. For some people that is fun because it doesn't require more than two brain cells. For people that actually like a game to challenge them, it's crap.

Again, refer to games that are far more challenging than WoW and does not have trinity. You can't blame it on the lack of trinity when there are clear counter-examples to that.

Yes I agree, the content that exists right now is pretty terrible when it comes to emphasizing player skill or group coherence. But this is not a result of the lack of trinity by any means.

In EQ1, there was literally hundreds of ways you could use the trinity system to defeate high end encounters. Each class brought it's own unique offenses and defenses. Yes, some encounters could not be completed if you didn't have certain classes. That's what made it challenging, you actually had to figure out how to defeat enemies. Who would have thought?

In GW2, since every class is essentially the same (self healing DPS), the only strategy is go in for DPS, back out when low on health, heal, go back in, repeat. Everyone does that since the classes are essentially the same. That = not fun.

In EQ1, there was literally hundreds of ways you could use the trinity system to defeate high end encounters. Each class brought it's own unique offenses and defenses. Yes, some encounters could not be completed if you didn't have certain classes. That's what made it challenging, you actually had to figure out how to defeat enemies. Who would have thought?

In GW2, since every class is essentially the same (self healing DPS), the only strategy is go in for DPS, back out when low on health, heal, go back in, repeat. Everyone does that since the classes are essentially the same. That = not fun.

Again, it's due to the nature of the content presented to us. GW2 has the building blocks to require more player skill but the content simply doesn't. Every boss is spank and ... spank. Death is not heavily punished (hence 'zerging' from waypoints or just getting someone to res you). Etc. etc. I will repeat again... it's not due to the lack of trinity at all. It's due to boss design and systems like waypoint zerging.

The lack of trinity is a large part of it. How exactly do you make wildly different content when in GW2 all classes are essentially the same and interact with content in the same way? Why are all fights the same? You think ANet is that non-creative? It's an inhearent design flaw.

I don't understand why you people are arguing. Don't like the game? GTFO. Like the game? Keep playing. There's no freaking subscription fee.

The lack of trinity is a large part of it. How exactly do you make wildly different content when in GW2 all classes are essentially the same and interact with content in the same way? Why are all fights the same? You think ANet is that non-creative? It's an inhearent design flaw.

Just look at all the games that don't have trinity. If you can't imagine content outside of raid bosses that require trinity then I can't help you much. If you refuse to imagine, then that's another issue because clearly all the non-trinity games declare otherwise.

No not all classes are the same and not all builds are the same. I will say it again, the real issue is that the current content doesn't discriminate between zerging and organized group coherence / individual skill.

I can't even remember what most of the bosses I've killed actually do. Why? Because I didn't need to know to kill them, and I wasn't punished for not knowing. I think it's fairly obvious what the issues are.

Back