The Official Guild Wars 2 thread

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Don't play engineers!! They are terrible! Their support sucks, their damage is especially lackluster, especially with piercing pistols and stacking condition damage! Their combo field stacking is terribly useless and nobody likes standing in the healing / buffing / condition removing fields!
Being able to destroy other ranged players in PVP is boring and gets old quickly!
*wink*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1faOKMs7YBw <--- use this build
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxH9zGbVUYk

/Engineer

Last edited:
I'm confused. Out of stock? Amazon will sell you as many copies as you would like.

http://www.amazon.com/Guild-Wars-2-...8&qid=1347038334&sr=8-2&keywords=guild+wars+2

hes probably looking for digital which are sold out everywhere except maybe deluxe.

What are other games playing like?

its not defective im just grasping at straws. there are plenty of people with my problem out there even with the beta drivers. specifically the 670 is having the most trouble

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
ELE, what builds are you guys using? I think I have 15 in fire and 5 in Air, I have like 10 left over because I don't know what to do with it.

Don't play engineers!! They are terrible! Their support sucks, their damage is especially lackluster, especially with piercing pistols and stacking condition damage! Their combo field stacking is terribly useless and nobody likes standing in the healing / buffing / condition removing fields!
Being able to destroy other ranged players in PVP is boring and gets old quickly!
*wink*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1faOKMs7YBw <--- use this build
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxH9zGbVUYk

/Engineer

lol

I can't tell ya how many times in wvwvw that we are outnumbered and i'm the last guy standing rezzing our dead...go figure..lol

engineers ftw

Was trying to get the digital edition so I wouldn't have to wait for shipping :(

Try ... the real world... that's how my friends are now getting it. Some are calling up to 3 different stores before one has it in stock, but it takes very little effort just to call up a store to check.

I managed to get my lady a copy at Target. Now she's about to do some instanced dungeons with us, and she's never played an MMO before.

Last night we did CM, I would wholeheartedly suggest a thief in the party. Stealthing past massive groups of mobs and AoE stealth combat rezzes are amazing feats (I was the thief in my party ;) )

Try ... the real world... that's how my friends are now getting it. Some are calling up to 3 different stores before one has it in stock, but it takes very little effort just to call up a store to check.

Let me get this right, you're saying that I can go to a store, PHYSICALLY, and buy the game? Blasphemy.

Anyone know a good place to farm Wool? At level 80? If most of it is salvaged from gear, and half the gear I'm getting in lower level zones is more appropriate to my level, this might suck trying to gather an amount appropriate to what I need. :(

Anyone know a good place to farm Wool? At level 80? If most of it is salvaged from gear, and half the gear I'm getting in lower level zones is more appropriate to my level, this might suck trying to gather an amount appropriate to what I need. :(

Farm gold and then buy wool with gold. If it's not painfully obvious that the TP = D3 AH by now... then start treating it like so. The real difference is itemization.

Farm gold and then buy wool with gold. If it's not painfully obvious that the TP = D3 AH by now... then start treating it like so. The real difference is itemization.
I already did that with two other tradeskills and went broke doing so. :(

I'm not raking in a lot of cash. Dungeons don't seem like great income, I spent some time farming events in Cursed Shore and didn't see all that much coin. I make a decent amount in WvW but that's only when there's a well-organized group going.

Go to the noobie zones farm weak blood. Sell said weak blood for insane amounts. Buy Lion's Arch with your profits. I'm level 20 and sitting on 7 gold right now from just selling stuff on the ah. If necessary start an alt to run all the lowbie zones.

Cloth farming sucks right now. Jute Scraps cost 40 copper each however I've been purchasing crafted gear for less than 1 silver. I gave up on tailoring until Jute and Wool prices drop.

Is it safe to say gw2 has more content to it than d3? More value?

Well, I wouldn't expect an objective opinion from the thread about GW2, but I would say its pretty obvious there is a lot more content.

D3 is a single 10-15 hour campaign you play over and over. GW2 is a full mmo with lots of very large zones all with unique activities, events, tradeskills, dungeons, etc. It pretty much blows D3 out of the water in terms of content.

that and gw2 currently has pvp.

On a side note, anyone else still having problems on what to pick for thier main class? I leveled a gaurdian to 15, and a thief to 15. Tried them both in pvp and definatly enjoy them both but the thief is funner. Problem is niether of them "clicked" for me yet. In wow as soon as I played a death knight the class just clicked for me and I loved it, having an issue finding that connection to a class so far.

mabeya necro is what im looking for lol.

On a side note, anyone else still having problems on what to pick for thier main class? I leveled a gaurdian to 15, and a thief to 15. Tried them both in pvp and definatly enjoy them both but the thief is funner. Problem is niether of them "clicked" for me yet. In wow as soon as I played a death knight the class just clicked for me and I loved it, having an issue finding that connection to a class so far.

I tried Guardian, then Elementalist, then Thief, and finally Ranger. Ranger is the one that "clicked" for me.

I bought 4k copper ores for 16 each during the first few days with buy orders, sold all of them back for 20c. Exchanged my earnings when 1g was fetching 400 gems and bought 2 char slots two days ago and got 4 char slots due to a bug and arena net said today they are letting me keep it . Lol

Checklist for newbies just starting the game (what you want to know to make things easier later):

1. Upon character creation, you'll be in an instance with a battle going on. Don't panic about exploring it all; you'll be back here again later. Proceed through and kill the big monster.

2. When you're done with that, you'll be in the 1-15 zone just outside of your starting city. Go out and kill stuff for awhile if you want to (and you'll want to!), but sooner or later, you'll have to go back into your starting city and explore it, at least enough to get to the bank. If you fully explore your starting city, you'll get stuff and quite a bit of exp, enough to get you to level 4 if you didn't do any fighting at all.

3. Somewhere in your starting city is an Asura Gate to Lion's Arch. You'll want to go there and explore it as well. Where you enter Lion's Arch is a cluster of gates that will take you to all of the other starting cities, without having to travel through difficult zones.

4. In Lion's Arch, across the lake to the south of the starting city gates, is another cluster of gates to the PVP areas. Enter the gate to the Heart of the MIsts. Finish the first tutorial area there and move on to the next one. Very close to where you zoned in, there will be an Asura gate that will take you to Lion's Arch. That area is where you will zone in whenever you open your H window, click the PVP tab on the left, and click the "Go to the Heart of the Mists" button. Now, when you are far into a zone, especially one not connected to a starter city, you have a free teleport back to Lion's Arch.

5. While you're in the 1-15 zones, take every opportunity you can to mine copper ore. Take several Copper Mining Picks. Copper ore spawns only in the 1-15 zones, and it is in very high demand. You can craft an 8-slot bronze box from 20 copper ore. You will want four 8-slot boxes or bags ASAP.

6. Don't waste money buying weapons and armor. You'll get plenty of them, appropriate to your level, as you fight your way through the zones. Save your money for your trait manuals.

7. What to do with all this stuff? In your inventory window is a gear; click it and choose "Deposit All Collectibles". Go to any merchant or vendor, go to the Sell Items tab, and click "Sell Junk". Buy some basic salvage kits. Equip whatever armor is an upgrade for you, and salvage what remains of the white and blue armor. Keep the best of each kind of weapon that your class can use; don't worry about which weapon you'll specialize in until after you're level 30 or so. Salvage white and blue weapons that you're not keeping. Salvage trophy items that say "Salvage Item". When you're done salvaging, Deposit All Collectibles. What remains are odds and ends that will fit in your account bank.

8. When you have fully explored the newbie area of your starting city, the next area that your Personal Story directs you to is often a bit too difficult even if you are 15, so you can just go do another newbie area and get more levels, then come back.

9. When you die, don't just immediately hit "Return to Waypoint". Your corpse will show as an icon on everyone's map, and they have incentive to revive you because they get pretty good exp doing that.

10. You should be able to easily kill 3 to 5 normal mobs on your own. Mobs with names that start with Veteran are more dangerous, but you should be able to take it down solo if you're careful about it and rely mostly on ranged attacks and kiting. Mobs with names that start with Champion will squash you like a bug if you attempt to solo it.

Last edited:
7. What to do with all this stuff? In your inventory window is a gear; click it and choose "Deposit All Collectibles". Go to any merchant or vendor, go to the Sell Items tab, and click "Sell Junk". Buy some basic salvage kits. Equip whatever armor is an upgrade for you, and salvage what remains of the white and blue armor. Keep the best of each kind of weapon that your class can use; don't worry about which weapon you'll specialize in until after you're level 30 or so. Salvage white and blue weapons that you're not keeping. When you're done salvaging, Deposit All Collectibles. What remains are odds and ends that will fit in your account bank.

To add on to this, don't forget about the "Salvage item"s you get. I had no idea what to do with these, so I was stuffing them in my bank until I was around level 30 and learned what they were for. You're supposed to use salvage kits on them to get more materials. ;)

Just finished my first Explorable dungeon, Caudecus' Manor. Was pretty brutal the whole way through, lots of GY zerging to make it. On top of that you don't even get a chest for the first or last boss. I understand it's probably mostly about the seals for legendary crafting, but still it was pretty harsh.

I would like to clarify something regarding this.

Checklist for newbies just starting the game (what you want to know to make things easier later):

8. When you have fully explored the newbie area of your starting city, the next area is usually a bit too difficult even if you're over 15, so go do another newbie area and get more levels, then come back.

If we were to follow our personal story progression, does it actually takes us to any other city? I notice it took me around Queensdale only and once I approach about level 20 (or so) task of the personal story, I'm now at Kessex Hills which is significantly difficult.

It doesn't take me to any other level 1-15 area. Do we have to explore them our self (as in our personal story would never go there)?

I played Warrior to 20 in beta, that seemed pretty fun... started another one at launch and the playstyle finally started to get tiresome.

Made a Thief (which I also played in beta) and I'm still having fun, even after getting it to 80. Mostly I think it's the mobility and ability to drive opposing players insane.

If we were to follow our personal story progression, does it actually takes us to any other city? I notice it took me around Queensdale only and once I approach about level 20 (or so) task of the personal story, I'm now at Kessex Hills which is significantly difficult.

It doesn't take me to any other level 1-15 area. Do we have to explore them our self (as in our personal story would never go there)?
I don't think any of the personal storylines are going to take you there, but like he said getting to other zones is really easy. The Asura gate will take you to Lion's Arch and then the gates there will take you to other cities.

That said, I'm not sure why he suggested the second-tier zones are hard at 15. You might have to supplement your exp with something to keep up with the level of the hearts, but I find that's just how the game works in general.

You've got to go to the other areas on your own. The game rewards exploration off the beaten path and doesn't hand hold you through every spot in every zone like some other games, so get on out there and roam..........and enjoy dying here and there from stuff. :D

When I get bored I go to a higher level zone and try to get all the Vista's or POI's and see how much I can do without dying. Hearts I wait until I'm more level appropriate.

The trick about getting to Lions Arch and using the portals to get everywhere is a big time/money saver, one I constantly forget to use myself.

Color me impressed. Guild Wars 2 is exceptionally well done, especially considering that there's no monthly fee.

I don't usually play a caster in games like this since I hate having the durability of a wet noodle, but after reading about how ANet was determined to break the "holy trinity" of tank/dps/healer, I decided to try a mesmer since I've always liked pet classes. What a blast! Since most of my combat ability is based on indirect damage, I can't just walk up to a mob and HULK SMASH. There's a lot of thought involved, and it takes a very keen sense of timing to manage dodging, teleporting, clones, and shattering. I can even hold my own in melee if I have to.

I'm level 17 and I can easily solo mobs that are 5 levels higher, so I don't know what people on other sites are talking about when they say that Mesmers only get good later on. My server (Anvil Rock) seems to be comprised exclusively of warriors, guardians, and rangers with the occasional elementalist. Oh well - more illusionary fun for me :D

Made some edits to my newbie checklist post.

Is everyone else running Win7 seeing a funny-looking letter A wherever there's supposed to be the - symbol? Most commonly before the name of someone being quoted.

Is everyone else running Win7 seeing a funny-looking letter A wherever there's supposed to be the - symbol? Most commonly before the name of someone being quoted.

My tradepost fonts are all whacked. It's like they aren't anti aliased or something.

I get that and a weird E as well in other places.

Got my cooking to 400 this morning but it looks like Anet nerfed the ability to purchase some of the cooking supplies for karma from the Chef vendor in towns. They took out some stuff like packs of butter and chocolate bars and you apparently have to get them from packs off of enemies now. Glad I got 400 before the nerf but that's pretty shitty. I guess it was just too easy. I got 10 levels out of cooking easy.

yes the interface is still pretty clunky.. Don't see any way of breaking chat/interface tabs away and moving them around the screen yet either. Maybe I didn't research it enough but it didn't seem forthcoming when I poked around. Everything in that area seems very unrefined , especially coming from rift. Still not a bad game though.
I like keeping the combat readout on the right side, general chat on the left, and a transparent background group/team chat in the lower center specifically.
Another question I have is whether Call Target and Take Target work currently, and if they work when you are soloing (since they don't seem to be working as I solo level right now).

Last edited:
Got my cooking to 400 this morning but it looks like Anet nerfed the ability to purchase some of the cooking supplies for karma from the Chef vendor in towns. They took out some stuff like packs of butter and chocolate bars and you apparently have to get them from packs off of enemies now. Glad I got 400 before the nerf but that's pretty shitty. I guess it was just too easy. I got 10 levels out of cooking easy.

Looks like it's not too bad, I got 21 sticks of butter in two runs of CM story.

Back