The Official Guild Wars 2 thread

shortbow?! omg dude :<

shortbow is like your secondary.. maybe for defending. its mainly for aoe. if you want to play ranged and have fun use pistols which have more moves

personally i use daggers i like them better then any combo. i also put a lot of traits into uping my steal, it poisons and does damage.
Heh... get in there, and pick off the stragglers. Watch for people taking off on their own, gauge their strength and smoke them if they are weak. That's the rogue way!
I'm not sure how you guys don't get completely obliterated in big battles without ranged? I occasionally switch to melee and pick off the stragglers as said, but there rarely seem to be any as it's almost always a huge aoe fest and those that do fall behind or get in too close die almost instantly. And if I go in closer with melee I'm either dead before I can do anything, or spend most of my time trying to avoid damage and then backing out to heal instead of fighting. If I switch to pistols, I don't feel like I'm doing anywhere close to as much damage because of how grouped they usually are making them prone to aoes.

I'm not sure how you guys don't get completely obliterated in big battles without ranged? I occasionally switch to melee and pick off the stragglers as said, but there rarely seem to be any as it's almost always a huge aoe fest and those that do fall behind or get in too close die almost instantly. And if I go in closer with melee I'm either dead before I can do anything, or spend most of my time trying to avoid damage and then backing out to heal instead of fighting. If I switch to pistols, I don't feel like I'm doing anywhere close to as much damage because of how grouped they usually are making them prone to aoes.

depends.. honestly ranged has a crazy advantage right now but if we arent sieging or getting sieged open field battles, melee can play out well. especially with immobilize poisons / slows and my scorpion pull move. :D

depends.. honestly ranged has a crazy advantage right now but if we arent sieging or getting sieged open field battles, melee can play out well. especially with immobilize poisons / slows and my scorpion pull move. :D
I rarely see any open field battles, and when I do they're usually brief and one side retreats to a fortification because one side will get the high ground (yay more ranged) or get flanked. And it's still an aoe fest in which you can hardly see what's going on due to the massive amount of effects and nameplates taking up so much of the screen. :(

When things calm down and my side starts to win that usually leaves me more leeway to do different stuff. But I was just defending a keep and it went on for like an hour plus before that happened, and then they immediately retreated.

Oh well, at least my server is destroying everyone else. :D

IIIIII don't know, my M17X is pretty damn thin for this type of laptop, and I've carried way heavier, so to me it's nothing back breaking haha. I suppose others would disagree. Running it on my 60" Samsung while lounging on the couch and it looks excellent. :D

1.75" vs 1.28" is a significant difference as is 9.7 vs 7.37 lbs. I agree, it's not back breaking by any means, but it's very noticeable. Also, 1.75" is only thin in comparison to those crazy 2" thick Clevo laptops. Of course there's also no comparison between the 7970m you can get on the m17x vs the 7850m in the Envy. Like I said, it's a trade off and everyone has their own preferences and requirements for a laptop. I have a desktop if/when I need more performance. I'm using the $800 difference between the M17x R4 and the Envy 17 to upgrade my desktop. Getting ready for 5760x1080 goodness.

It's not an issue, unless you stupidly click on the link to accept the password change.

Did you see the hit yes to change the password in that email? This wouldnt be an issue if it actually said I had a choice in the matter. My account is no longer registered to that email address... Meh.

Anyone else find longbow ranges waaaaay too damn short?

It seem s of all range weapons that longbows have the shortest range.

A rifle can shoot further, mages have longer range, etc.

It seems like they didn't really test it well because using a lonbow and sitting on top of a wall of a tower/keep, you can't even USE your aoe abilities, it's all too far range to use. You are lucky if you can even auto attack unless someone is righit up against the wall you're usually going to see "out of range" every bloody attack.

ive come to the conclusion I have no clue what I am doing in this game. Anyone on the Borliss pass server willing to meet up and teach me some basics?

Coordinated melee rushes will decimate unorganized groups.

I think the problem with melee is no one is really using the traits for getting rid of stuns or makign yourself invun to them.

I know there's a few skill traits you get in the 3rd/4th down that gives you this.

I ALWAYS get the invun one when I am going to head to WvsWvsW, as a mainly melee user it's a must imo and there's nothing like seien gsome magic user or illusionist throwing a hold on you thinking they are safe then you break it and dash into their face and pop whirlwind.

If you have other things to do then go do them. Why are you suprised about being handed a suspension for botting when your character was using the exact same tactics botters use and you're leveling up/killing stuff without actually doing anything yourself. What do you think that's going to look like to other players who stumble across you in-game, hmm? Here's a guy that doesn't move, doesn't respond to any kind of in-game chats or messages, and only periodically drops a turret down to attack stuff. If you saw that kind of behavior in-game from another player, what would you surmise was going on? What would you describe it in a report to ArenaNet?

Hardocp, where victims come to get blamed. If you play the game in a way I don't like you too deserve to get banned daggah.

After reading this thread, I think i'm just gonna stay with D3....
Your loss. It has its problems, but it's a fun game.

I probably shouldn't even mention what I think of D3, because there's no manner in which I could put it that doesn't sound ridiculously harsh. And we probably don't need that discussion in this thread.

But objectively, if you're looking for a better variety of things to do, a bigger world to explore, an actual MMO experience, among other things, I would re-consider giving it a shot. I haven't had this much fun in a fantasy MMO in a very long time.

Even with some faults I find gw2 infinitely more fun than d3

Honestly I felt ripped for d3 when I compare it to gw2

Hardocp, where victims come to get blamed. If you play the game in a way I don't like you too deserve to get banned daggah.

Or at the very least, where trolls come to completely ignore the content of a legitimate post so that they can add yet more bullshit to the growing pile.

Trying to purchase the game for my girlfriend and it's utterly impossible to find a retailer for a CD key. There must be a way around this besides waiting. Any places that have cd keys available so I can create a new account?

Trying to purchase the game for my girlfriend and it's utterly impossible to find a retailer for a CD key. There must be a way around this besides waiting. Any places that have cd keys available so I can create a new account?

Online purchases are disabled for the time being as the their current server load is 100% full. You can still buy retail keys currently.

Amazon has Digital Deluxe keys available for download if you want to pay 79.99.

Only one I could find : http://www.impulsedriven.com/guildwars2ce

I'm personally going to give this game a few months to iron out its population issues , server problems and bugs.

It looks like its worth the time but like any MMO its virtually filled with its birthing problems during launch.

Last edited:
I got mine from chinese cd key sellers at 30$ Deluxe edition, one for and one for my brother lol.

So, I sent an email 2 days ago about being banned for having turrets up while afk when the ban reason was using third-party programs. Here is the BS response after 2 days. It has absolutely nothing to do with what I told them in the support ticket. Their support staff takes the time to go through support tickets just to copy and paste the same thing in all of them.

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to contact the Guild Wars Support Team. If you're receiving a message saying your account has been blocked due to inappropriate behavior (error: 45) the first thing you should do is look at the in-game message shown at the login screen when you attempt to login, where you will be informed if you were suspended for an offensive name or for inappropriate behavior (usually chat).

To keep Guild Wars 2 a pleasant place to be, we take action against racist names, hate speech, overtly crude language, and other unacceptable behavior. If your account is blocked for a chat offense, the account is given a three-day suspension. If it is blocked for an offensive name, you will be required to rename the character name and, in most cases, will also be given a three-day suspension.

So, I sent an email 2 days ago about being banned for having turrets up while afk when the ban reason was using third-party programs. Here is the BS response after 2 days. It has absolutely nothing to do with what I told them in the support ticket. Their support staff takes the time to go through support tickets just to copy and paste the same thing in all of them.

If you try again, someone else will have to look at it again. Try again imo

If you try again, someone else will have to look at it again. Try again imo

Probably, but at this point it is 15 hours left on the 72 hour suspension. They already mentioned that in the future this reason will be a perma ban first offense, so I am not worried about a "record" on my account. Also, when I try to log into support, it says my account is blocked. I can't even update it. These guys over at arena net are definitely a bunch of amateurs.

... These guys over at arena net are definitely a bunch of amateurs.
I wouldn't really say "amateurs", their support is probably quite swamped right now with people like yourself and with other server issues they have had. It just released so they are still ironing things out some.

Actually clicking on a support ticket without reading it and then pasting in irrelevant information is very unprofessional. This was not an automated reply after nearly 40 hours.

Actually clicking on a support ticket, not reading it all, and then pasting in irrelevant information is very unprofessional. This was not an automated reply after nearly 40 hours.

Steam support is like that too. After six e-mails back and forth, I said fuck it, my issue isn't a huge deal anyway. :p

Like 03grandam said though, they are probably swamped.

Blizzard did the same thing to me when I requested a refund for Diablo 3. 48 hours after I submitted the ticket, I get a BS response that indicates they didn't read what I wrote.

You need help, seriously. Get a psychological evaluation or something.

Your input is appreciated. I was just quoting you, though, so I am not sure who you're directing that at?

I wouldn't really say "amateurs", their support is probably quite swamped right now with people like yourself and with other server issues they have had. It just released so they are still ironing things out some.

So are other companies' support systems but you don't see people making excuses for them like they are here. It's like the Valve Defense Force has also added an Arenanet division!

My max health went from like 1400 something to 800 something? I'm level 14 and it says my effective level is 8? It said 11. I realized I had a bunch of skill points and trait points I hadn't allocated. I read up on the trait system, realized I had to find a trainer. I did that. I put my 4 points into defense. I'm running around and I see my gal is a total scrub. I did die once, got my stuff repaired. edit: It's creeping back up, I guess it's just a time thing? I still have to figure out crafting and what to do with my skill points.

Man, what the fuck is wrong with some of these story missions. I'm assuming they're meant to be tackled solo, so why are they throwing ridiculously overpowered enemies at me? I'm stuck on this one mission where I have to defeat a dredge mining suit that summons a crapload of dredge at me. The NPC goes down and if I get defeated, then I start over at the checkpoint without the NPC ally alive at all.

My max health went from like 1400 something to 800 something? I'm level 14 and it says my effective level is 8? It said 11. I realized I had a bunch of skill points and trait points I hadn't allocated. I read up on the trait system, realized I had to find a trainer. I did that. I put my 4 points into defense. I'm running around and I see my gal is a total scrub. I did die once, got my stuff repaired. edit: It's creeping back up, I guess it's just a time thing? I still have to figure out crafting and what to do with my skill points.

It's because of where you are in-game. It forcibly down-levels you when you enter low-level zones.

Your input is appreciated. I was just quoting you, though, so I am not sure who you're directing that at?

So are other companies' support systems but you don't see people making excuses for them like they are here. It's like the Valve Defense Force has also added an Arenanet division!

Dude wtf did arenanet do to you man? Seriously you just can't leave them alone. In every single thread you'll find [H] users defending companies from knee jerk reactionaries like you using hyperbole, strawman arguments, and just plain shit. The game isn't even a week old and they are running into the same exact problems WoW ran into their first month. Cut the company some slack and if you really fucking hate the game as much as you ramble on ad nauseum about move on to something that gives you some enjoyment. Unless trolling GW2 threads gives you enjoyment :rolleyes:

Man, what the fuck is wrong with some of these story missions. I'm assuming they're meant to be tackled solo, so why are they throwing ridiculously overpowered enemies at me? I'm stuck on this one mission where I have to defeat a dredge mining suit that summons a crapload of dredge at me. The NPC goes down and if I get defeated, then I start over at the checkpoint without the NPC ally alive at all.

You can party up for story quest too. Also I find that you need to level up out of story since it jumps in level really quickly

Dude wtf did arenanet do to you man? Seriously you just can't leave them alone. In every single thread you'll find [H] users defending companies from knee jerk reactionaries like you using hyperbole, strawman arguments, and just plain shit. The game isn't even a week old and they are running into the same exact problems WoW ran into their first month. Cut the company some slack and if you really fucking hate the game as much as you ramble on ad nauseum about move on to something that gives you some enjoyment. Unless trolling GW2 threads gives you enjoyment :rolleyes:

You people are the ones who are flinging mud 24/7, I'm sticking to the facts as I have been. GW2 is competing with WOW of today and other titles, not 8-years-ago WOW or other MMO's that weren't even launched yet ;).

You can party up for story quest too. Also I find that you need to level up out of story since it jumps in level really quickly

I actually outleveled this one. I've been exploring starter zones and doing the heart quests while trying to gather enough mats to level up weapon and blacksmithing. So this is actually a level 22 quest and I'm 29. It's like I ran into a brick wall at high speed. Almost had the guy too but the number of adds that spawn are ridiculous, and I they spawn quickly enough that I feel like the game isn't trying to make me take them out first.

You people are the ones who are flinging mud 24/7, I'm sticking to the facts as I have been. GW2 is competing with WOW of today and other titles, not 8-years-ago WOW or other MMO's that weren't even launched yet ;).

Yeah. Facts. Sure. Like the "facts" of button-mashing one ability while waiting 30 seconds for any other abilities to come up. :rolleyes: GTFO.

Back