The Official Guild Wars 2 thread

Interesting concept for alleviating server load. Pull your game off the shelf while it has the most buzz in the industry and it's best sales period. No wonder NCSoft is failing at keeping customers for every other game in their stable besides Guild Wars.

Seems like it would be better to bring another server online and announce that it is an overflow server for new accounts. After the initial rush is over they will give those people free transfers to another server of their choosing. I just can't fathom a meeting about server population ending in with the best solution being to pull the game from the shelves. But this doesn't surprise me in the slightest going by what transpired yesterday.

:)

Yea this is kinda my thought. Release time is when the games sales are best generally with most games (including MMO's) so that makes me a bit wary of how they intend to load balance millions of possible players?

Yea this is kinda my thought. Release time is when the games sales are best generally with most games (including MMO's) so that makes me a bit wary of how they intend to load balance millions of possible players?

Last MMO that I remember gaining momentum for years after launch was World of Warcraft. I can't recollect another after them that accomplished this feat. All MMO's have fluctuating populations during different times of the year and players that quit and get replaced by new players. But very few grow new player base populations steadily for years after launch.

They are losing tons of word of mouth sales as you will find that there are tons of players that tell their friends how good a MMO is and get them sucked into buying the game also. These early adopter sales are crucial in many more ways than a sale 6 months from now.

Perhaps there's more to it than server loads, because their distributors still have plenty of copies available.

From their FB page:
Ensuring the best possible play experience for our fans is our highest priority. We’ve said before that we would be willing to temporarily disable first-party digital sales if we felt our high player concurrency may compromise player experiences. We have now reached that point.

Effective immediately we have disabled sales via buy.guildwars2.com. To be clear, box and digital sales are still available via our retail partners. We are tracking our concurrency closely while expanding our infrastructure. We’ll re-enable first-party digital sales as soon as we feel that we can do so safely. ~RB2
So you can still buy the game, just not off their site at the moment.

That's because WoW was a game changer. And the team that was developing/managing it was doing an ace job of updating the game with content , messing around with class balancing (which is more an art than a "task") and exploring options for end game PVP type content. WoW is the mold many MMO's follow now. I'm not looking to play WoW , if that was the case I would reactive my account and be done with it. I played WoW for years , I'm burned out on it.

Now I just want a different experience but something I can really sink my teeth into , GW2 looks amazing. It seems like its oozing with detail and well thought out design but from what I can tell based on reviews/videos it basically has zero end game content and that's a let down. End game content was my bread and butter for years in WoW , it kept me interested and helped grow my love for the game. I'm sure WvW is pretty awesome with huge scaling battles and what not but I also loved the challenging of learning end game raiding content with 25 (use to be 40) people. It was the most challenging type of game play I could find in an MMO.

If the developers of GW2 have zero intention on adding end game content that might just kill it for me right now. There is only so many times I can bash my head against other players in PvP before I'd desire a more challenging and fixed type experience that raiding PvE can provide.

I'm not really sure what to do.

Woah.I hit level 8, and suddenly everything is whipping my ass. The only thing I can figure is swapping from mace + dagger to a stave just doesn't work for your regular mobs soloing.

If you want WoW type raiding then GW2 is not the game for you.

Its not that I want "WoW" type raiding exactly , I want shit to do once I hit 80. I don't wanna hang around the main city and watch the chat window fly by full of idiotic commentary. I don't want to farm day after day for no real reason other than to feed my boredom/obsessive compulsive patterns. I don't want to be searching the official forums for announcements on content updates coming soon since I've done the same dungeon runs day after day and have exhausted the options/loot table for anything that benefits my class. I don't really want to be stuck in 1 hour + long que's for large scale WvW either. I know I sound whiny but I've spent over a decade playing MMO's ..

The single biggest issue with *new* MMO's (or really any period) in my mind is "What the fuck do I do after I hit max level?" and I know I'm not alone on that thought.

If GW2 can hold my attention without content in its end game then I guess what I'm fishing for is reasons why that will be so?

GW1 is still a really good game you can buy and play today and so it deserves a little defense here:

And one of my biggest annoyances from GW1 was the traveling system , having to run or pay someone to run you to a location that was possibly dangerous I always felt was just retarded. Have they put in some kind of reasonable travel system like WoW has where you simply fly or something of the like to another travel vendor?

Both games have the same instant travel system, but GW2 charges you in game money to use it. You do not pay people to take you places in GW1 (unless you want to skip to content ahead of your level of course, like in any multi player rpg)

I had GW1 and I thought the biggest annoyance was the instance grouping. Maybe it was just me but every time I would go into an instance people would leave or you get to a point where the enemies would be too hard.

GW2 is better.

The PVP is 100 times better. WvWvW is a lot of fun, just sorta confusing and the queues are long, but the battles are truely epic.

The instances in GW1 work like you'd imagine, like those in Diablo and I guess most games like this. If someone quits, the enemy difficulty adjusts automatically. (GW2 events are the same way.) You can choose to play alone or form a party of players/npcs in GW1. Like any team game, players are allowed to quit if they want.

GW2 is a very different game from GW1, though the general pvp architecture is the same. They proved out much of the GW2 design, including world vs world with pve characters, in later GW1 expansion packs.

Also from GW1 are the mini-games where you pick up a bundle and it changes your skill bar, and the mechanics where you recruit npc help in pvp, siege a door, and run for supplies to repair.

Look carefully at the pic, looks like a timer at the top above the text. I am betting that you have until the timer expires to respond with any answer and if you don't respond in that time they consider you botting. Just a guess.

Your incorrect. This timer is part of the quest. You have a time frame to guess the who the man is. It's part of the circus act. This dialog is not found in the same area. This picture doesn't add up.

If GW2 can hold my attention without content in its end game then I guess what I'm fishing for is reasons why that will be so?

Play it to 80 and then make that decision? Pretty simple to me. You have no real commitment. There's no subscription to make you feel guilty for not playing.

You got one?

Yep. Spent a few thousand karma on the 21 karma norn weapons, mystic forging them trying to get better stuff. Considering that I can go to 5 or 6 spots in the game and watch afk'ers bot exp and karma all day, I think it's pretty steep.

Yep. Spent a few thousand karma on the 21 karma norn weapons, mystic forging them trying to get better stuff. Considering that I can go to 5 or 6 spots in the game and watch afk'ers bot exp and karma all day, I think it's pretty steep.

I know they're trying to enforce you not to exploit and all that shit, but seriously? "Lol he used an in-game mechanic and we're going to ban him because he did something we don't really think is alright, mad?"

I'm scared to log in now. I'm thinking if I afk too much I'll get banned ffs. If I'm out $60 bucks due to a ban, I'm going to shoot something up, I swear.

I deserved punishment, don't get me wrong. But if they are going to ban thousands of people over a pricing mistake, they need to get to banning all the people who have exploited tens of thousands of karma while AFK using third party software. What surprised me is the inconsistency.

The reason they reversed the bannings to suspensions is, I am guessing, due to the thousands of charge backs they were going to get.

I deserved punishment, don't get me wrong. But if they are going to ban thousands of people over a pricing mistake, they need to get to banning all the people who have exploited tens of thousands of karma while AFK using third party software. What surprised me is the inconsistency.

The reason they reversed the bannings to suspensions is, I am guessing, due to the thousands of charge backs they were going to get.

All I know is that this Karma shit better be fixed soon, that or make it so you can't buy more than one, etc. Something that'll make it less likely to lose your god damn account.

The botters are being perma-banned, from recent reports today. Also, make sure you delete the items you bought or transmuted.

BiH115 said:
I know they're trying to enforce you not to exploit and all that shit, but seriously? "Lol he used an in-game mechanic and we're going to ban him because he did something we don't really think is alright, mad?"

It really could mess up the economy. Think about this: If he took those items (which costed 21 karma, instead of 21,000) at a thousandth of the cost of what that should be - then he really would make out like a bandit. That also means he still has his 15,000 karma (this number is being pulled out of my ass) to be used elsewhere. In addition, the ability to break those weapons down by the large amount of players who took advantage of this are then able to sell those pieces at a market value that they choose it to be. Since it would be such a minority (compared to the rest of the population), those players would have a massive currency advantage. There would be a massive wealth disparity which could cascade for months.

It creates an artificial market bubble and can cause real issues. There are a number of other issues that I cannot even think about because it would be impossible to know.

It's unfortunate that previous companies gave people who used exploits just a minor, "Don't do it again" type of statement. It set the wrong precedent to make it "OK" to use these issues to a large advantage because people were afraid that if they didn't exploit - they would be behind the curve. And since other companies are lenient, that it would be no issue.

SilverSliver said:
they need to get to banning all the people who have exploited tens of thousands of karma while AFK using third party software. What surprised me is the inconsistency.

They are banning bots. They are consistently banning them. You may see one today or tomorrow - but they are being banned. I would think that anyone who is involved in this fiasco will be able to know that ArenaNet's tools and hardline stances are definitely quicker, harsher and more direct than any other MMO company. After this, I now know that if I report someone who is botting that ArenaNet knows or will soon know and will ban that person.

The bans and suspensions are dependent on how far you took things. If you purchased thousands of weapons (that were OBVIOUSLY a pricing error) and then used them to craft repeatedly in the mystic forge, and excessively abused the exploit, the result reflected that.

Bottom line with the bans being handed out...other than them being overzealous about the whole profanity thing, if you're being an honest player, then you have nothing to fear. Don't be a dick, and don't try to cheat your way to in-game prosperity, and you'll be absolutely fine. No sympathy here.

And btw, they are handing out bans to botters. They do have to get the info about them though. They're not omniscient.

They did ban those who botted too.

I think its fair enough though that they only suspended those who exploited the weapon thing. The game is new and they rightfully should just send out a wave of suspension as a warning to everyone not to repeat these stuff in the future.

Can someone explain the mystic forge real quick? I have 4 coins, 5 or 6 masterwork items I'm saving for the AH that I haven't salvaged. Can I transform those masterwork items into better items?

So wait, you heard about this exploit and tried it out? Knowing it was an exploit? You get what you deserve as you said yourself.

As for them banning people that are botting or appear to be botting: http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1039092362&postcount=4086

I do believe Anet is being heavy handed, but they are setting expectations and can lighten up later.

As for those scared to login in, are you fvcking serious? Grow a set, don't exploit, play, and enjoy the game. Or get a refund and quit playing any other online game that takes actions against players that exploit.

/not trying to be a complete Anet fanboy
//happy a developer is taking swift action at launch
///happy to see swift action against botters and exploiters (seen too many games just let it go...)

I doubt they are afraid of a few thousand charge backs

A net stopped selling the game on their site already due to huge demand making it hard for their servers to keep up.

Instead of perm ban, I think a 3 day ban with deletion of all ill gotten items and setting all their gold and karma to zero is more appropriate

Last edited:
Can someone explain the mystic forge real quick? I have 4 coins, 5 or 6 masterwork items I'm saving for the AH that I haven't salvaged. Can I transform those masterwork items into better items?

I tried plugging into a few coins with those masterworks, and I am not sure I had the recipe right. I have not heard from people how exactly we can get better items using the coins.

However, you can put four items of the same quality (all green, all blue or all yellow) and get a much better item out of it.

combine four items of the same rarity ( epic, fine, masterwork) get a random item back with a chance of being a higher rarity.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mystic_Forge/Research

Basically, the less random the items you put in, the less random the results. Meaning that if you stick an assortment of fine and masterwork items in, you could get just about anything. But if you stick all masterwork quality items, the result will at least be masterwork. If you stick all greatswords in, you'll get a greatsword out.

I stuck 4 level 20 masterwork greatswords in, got a level 26 masterwork greatsword out with a killer rune. "Minor rune of bloodlust" - gain 5 power every time you kill an enemy, stacking 25 times. Lasts until downed. And the stats on the sword itself were higher than anything I've seen yet...a decent chunk of +power AND +precision.

Basically, the less random the items you put in, the less random the results. Meaning that if you stick an assortment of fine and masterwork items in, you could get just about anything. But if you stick all masterwork quality items, the result will at least be masterwork. If you stick all greatswords in, you'll get a greatsword out.

I stuck 4 level 20 masterwork greatswords in, got a level 26 masterwork greatsword out with a killer rune. "Minor rune of bloodlust" - gain 5 power every time you kill an enemy, stacking 25 times. Lasts until downed. And the stats on the sword itself were higher than anything I've seen yet...a decent chunk of +power AND +precision.

Very useful, I did not know this! Thanks!

What goes with the mystic coins though? It doesn't work with other mystic coins nor any items I've found.

What goes with the mystic coins though? It doesn't work with other mystic coins nor any items I've found.

theyre for high level items i believe so far i have found no information and most people who know if any havent posted anything on it anywhere that i can find.

we'll know soon im sure

theyre for high level items i believe so far i have found no information and most people who know if any havent posted anything on it anywhere that i can find.

we'll know soon im sure

Why you ignoring me? I thought we were biffles?! :(

Why you ignoring me? I thought we were biffles?! :(

Sup? the forge is in the middle of Lions Arch

e7d7cb86.jpg

Haha, ty sir. I was just messing though. ;)

Also, I like the C in mystic, it's as if you decided to not do a C halfway through, then said fuck it, I'm doing a C.

Back