The Official Guild Wars 2 thread

You can also get black lion keys from completing the daily challenge. I play late at night, so I have to wait 10 more hours before daily challenge resets. :mad:

I have 2 unopened chests and probably around 5 that I've opened with keys that I've found. Granted I'm 40... so if you got 8 chests by 14, you either got a lot or I'm getting very little.

You're level 40 already? In what 2 days of the game being out? Let me be the first to say you sir have no life outside your PC.

I have got one Black Lion chest and no keys yet. If you've gotten 14 already, you just got lucky is all.

The option for auto loot should perhaps have a different name. If you have it turned off, you'll get the loot window and need to manually choose what to loot when you hit the F button. If you have it on, you'll just loot whatever is there when you hit the F button. What you loot will show up in the chat window under the category "Game Messages".

Things I really like about loot: when you go to a merchant, hit the "Sell Junk" button and all the stuff that has no purpose gets sold automatically! No more having to look up on a web page whether an item is vendor junk or not. I also enjoy very much that you can transfer all collectibles to your account bank directly - from anywhere! - by choosing the option to do that by clicking the gear in the inventory window. This way, all the stuff you are harvesting, chopping down or mining doesn't clutter up your bags.

My one complaint about loot is the animation they have that indicates loot. It looks a lot like a fire animation, only much less prominent. If you're in an area where a lot of bodies are getting set on fire (or a variety of other effects), it's very difficult to notice where the lootable corpses are. I'm not sure how to make this better without looking stupid, though.

this games cool so far, but a little confusing. so if im a warrior, i have a pick between a sword, axe and hammer and each weapon has their own skill sets, correct?

this games cool so far, but a little confusing. so if im a warrior, i have a pick between a sword, axe and hammer and each weapon has their own skill sets, correct?

Which weapon defines what skills you have, yes, but it goes further than that. Main Hand and Offhand weapons can be different and so you will have different abilities based on which weapon is in which hand.

Nope everything is stock and ran the beta without issues. I was fine the first night but ever since I crash regularly with the bug report window popping up asking what I was doing at the time.

Something isnt stable. Could be memory or CPU if nothing is overclocked.

Is framerate in WvW severely CPU limited or is it just me? When a whole bunch of people get on screen, my gpu is under like 50% load and changing graphics options from lowest to highest doesn't even change the performance. Really the only problem I'm having with the game so far.

I bit and got the game today. I gotta say that it's pretty, and I expect it will be a lot of fun once I figure everything out. Thanks to it not having a subscription fee, I can take my time and enjoy the game. I can also expect there to be a good number of players for awhile.

Had an lol moment in pvp tonight.

I was just exploring the pvp battlegrounds, trying to hit all the vista's and explorable things. The vista near yak's (where you can spawn near) I was going toward.

I get there and get jumped by an enemy player who's a ranger, I bust out my longbow and we have a range battle down the wire.

He ends up knocking my down first and then when I go down and you have the little "downed" state to fight back, I knocked him down. So we are both sitting there throwing shit at each other then I figure "what the hell, if I'm going down I'm taking you with me" so I hit rally , I get up and then take him out, and it didn't count me as dead afterwards for some reason. I got loot from him and a badge of honor :D. I bet he was like "Man, why didn't I think of hitting rally!"

Grabbed a quick screen when we were throwing shit at each other.
http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/8179/gw016a.jpg

As a warrior you can use:

1h Swords
1h Axes
1h maces
Shield (in off hand)
Warhorn (off hand)

Dual wield swords, axes, or mix and match with any of the other 1h thing slisted.

2h wise you can use:
Greatsword
Hammer
Rifle
Longbow

Also at lv 7 you can the ability to swap weapon sets on the fly (default ~ key).

I like to roll with a Greatsword and longbow on my warrior. Greatsword has good aoe, a rush attack and longbow has good range, snare, and aoe.

The game is amazing so far, I am taking my time so far and loving it. I have 100% completion in the first 3 zones which feels very rewarding and I am at level 27. Has any noticed how amazing the npc interaction is in this game especially in the towns?

game is awesome so far..

performance is pretty sub par though. my 670 should stop this game amiright? sometimes as low as 40

I honestly start to wonder if

a) we're playing different games or

b) many people have not ever played a MMO before.

The zones are not THAT awesome, they are pretty standard MMO stuff without surprises. The whole game actually is fairly generic imho. If the hype would not have been there and a different name slapped on to this, it would be generic korean mmo numer 234452 and people would care for less than 3 weeks.

Combat is, at least when it comes to bosses with more than 5 people involved, completely chaotic and due to overloaded special effects totally random. Heck, normal combat is boring as hell with the darn same mechanics as in every effing mmo since the beginning of time. Don't even start telling me it's better because of the evasion rolls or the non tabbing of targets.

Quests are more generic than anything. Destroy 10 of these, so i can make 5 of these. Oh and kill 7 of these while you're at it. Seriously? Helping farmers with some worms? Sounds familiar? GW1? Every other MMO? Or go there, take the bucket and feed my cow. You're shitting me. Not even talking about the class/race storyline. GW1 storyline was great, GW2 is, to be bland, nothing special.

Are we all playing the same game??? Or are most of you just blinded by some kind of GW2 sign in front of your eyes? Or have you never played a MMO before?!?!

I'm on lv 20, but most of the time the game has been unplayable for me, too laggy, while i have no problems in other mmos and online game. The art so far is pretty nice. I don't like the heart quests hubs as much as the events, story and pvp. But the zones are nice and encourage exploration.

Now if i could only fix this lag issue, tried transferring servers, opening ports, adding pc on dmz and still laggy as hell most of the time =/.

The zones are not THAT awesome, they are pretty standard MMO stuff without surprises. The whole game actually is fairly generic imho. If the hype would not have been there and a different name slapped on to this, it would be generic korean mmo numer 234452 and people would care for less than 3 weeks.

Combat is, at least when it comes to bosses with more than 5 people involved, completely chaotic and due to overloaded special effects totally random. Heck, normal combat is boring as hell with the darn same mechanics as in every effing mmo since the beginning of time. Don't even start telling me it's better because of the evasion rolls or the non tabbing of targets.

Quests are more generic than anything. Destroy 10 of these, so i can make 5 of these. Oh and kill 7 of these while you're at it. Seriously? Helping farmers with some worms? Sounds familiar? GW1? Every other MMO? Or go there, take the bucket and feed my cow. You're shitting me. Not even talking about the class/race storyline. GW1 storyline was great, GW2 is, to be bland, nothing special.

Are we all playing the same game??? Or are most of you just blinded by some kind of GW2 sign in front of your eyes? Or have you never played a MMO before?!?!

Have you played your character's mains storyline? They are not generic like you speak at all. And I have never played an MMO that dynamically changed your abilities based on weapon equipped, it adds another layer of strategy.

Awesome game. I'm really enjoying it so far. (Playing as a Sylvari Elementalist) At first it didn't really connect with me, but I later realized I was playing it in the wrong way. I found myself rushing to get higher levels quickly, but now I'm taking my time to explore and just enjoy the world around me. Combat is chaotic yet fun at the same time.

Game looks beautiful, it's clear a lot of time and effort went into it. No performance issues so far, except that it makes my videocard run hotter than my other games. I put a limit on it for 60 fps and temperatures are acceptable now.

Have you played your character's mains storyline? They are not generic like you speak at all. And I have never played an MMO that dynamically changed your abilities based on weapon equipped, it adds another layer of strategy.

Yes i have and the main story line is nothing special at all.
And the so called "dynamically changing abilities" is, no offense, a joke. You switch weapons and have different abilities based on these weapons. Woopdie. In GW1, you had 8 slots to fill with abilities you chose. Same spiel in essence. In TSW you have different abilities, depending which weapon you equip. Same here. It really isn't as revolutionary as many make it out to be.

Yes i have and the main story line is nothing special at all.
And the so called "dynamically changing abilities" is, no offense, a joke. You switch weapons and have different abilities based on these weapons. Woopdie. In GW1, you had 8 slots to fill with abilities you chose. Same spiel in essence. In TSW you have different abilities, depending which weapon you equip. Same here. It really isn't as revolutionary as many make it out to be.

TSW fans chillin in the GW2 thread. smh

TSW fans chillin in the GW2 thread. smh

I really hate to disappoint you but i am not a "fan" of any game, especially not so much as to defend or attack one over the other. I just call shit when i see shit.Try again.

ScYcS, the point of GW2 isn't that it changes any one thing dramatically. It seeks to improve little things about MMO's while maintaining certain philosophies from GW1 (i.e. PvP on same playing field, no emphasis on item grinding, etc.). So yes, a lot of the game is familiar to the MMO crowd because really, it ought to be. It seeks to refine, not redefine. That's how I view it.

I do agree that the devs oversold certain aspects of the game that they claimed were revolutionary. I posted in here about the combat back in BWE1 when at its core, I realized that the "revolutionary action" style MMO was ultimately not going to happen with GW2. That's fine though. What we get in the end is combat that's familiar to the MMO crowd with subtle changes to enhance it.

I just participated in a meta event that really made my day. Didn't realize this guy was in a level 50 zone.

oS75V.jpg

I agree to an extent and much of what you're saying I have said before. There's nothing new or revolutionary here. Now I can't speak for anyone but myself but gw2 is fun. It took many traditional mmo ideas and refined them into one mmo. So far it works pretty well.

The one massive issue I see is the same with rift. Without a healthy population spread across all zones dynamic events are shit.

So how is the game so far? Is it worth buying? Aren't you missing the traditional quest system? Aren't the dynamic events too chaotic/confusing and lacking sense/backstory?
Which race has the most interesting storyline?

I get there and get jumped by an enemy player who's a ranger, I bust out my longbow and we have a range battle down the wire.

He ends up knocking my down first and then when I go down and you have the little "downed" state to fight back, I knocked him down. So we are both sitting there throwing shit at each other then I figure "what the hell, if I'm going down I'm taking you with me" so I hit rally , I get up and then take him out, and it didn't count me as dead afterwards for some reason. I got loot from him and a badge of honor :D. I bet he was like "Man, why didn't I think of hitting rally!"

What you actually hit was Vengeance, which is "Rally and fight normally for a brief time. When the rally ends, you are defeated." Sweet Revenge is a trait that gives you a "100% chance to rally if you kill someone while in vengeance." I assume you had this trait.

c) there is a perception by TSW players that undeserved hype for GW2 is preventing so many TSW subscriptions that half of Funcom's staff has been laid off and its continued existence is threatened, leaving some TSW players bitter and angry enough to lash out at GW2.

c) there is a perception by TSW players that undeserved hype for GW2 is preventing so many TSW subscriptions that half of Funcom's staff has been laid off and its continued existence is threatened, leaving some TSW players bitter and angry enough to lash out at GW2.

Can we stop this childish bullshit. "You like TSW so your opinion is invalid" :rolleyes:

Gw2 was over hyped like every other mmo before it. Good game not near as good as the mmo hype machine made it out to be. There will be criticism of this game get the fuck over it already.

So how is the game so far? Is it worth buying? Aren't you missing the traditional quest system? Aren't the dynamic events too chaotic/confusing and lacking sense/backstory?
Which race has the most interesting storyline?

it's worth $60 that's for sure. The traditional quest system is there don't let anyone fool you. You just don't go to a quest giver, you go to the area and you automatically get it. Dynamic events are fun although very chaotic and repetitive. Personally I like the norn story line.

I have 2 unopened chests and probably around 5 that I've opened with keys that I've found. Granted I'm 40... so if you got 8 chests by 14, you either got a lot or I'm getting very little.

How are you 40, haha. :confused:

I really hate to disappoint you but i am not a "fan" of any game, especially not so much as to defend or attack one over the other. I just call shit when i see shit.Try again.

So...no favorite games?

Last edited:
No, no favorite games currently.

<edit> let me rephrase that: No favorite game as far as mmo or rpg is concerned. I do like the Planetside 2 beta though.

Great game, playing since release, considering lifetime account.

The above is from the TSW thread...

No, no favorite games currently.

<edit> let me rephrase that: No favorite game as far as mmo or rpg is concerned. I do like the Planetside 2 beta though.

Liar liar pants on fire....

Troll elsewhere, please.

As to the subject. Great game, lots of fun. Worth the money if you like MMO/GW/etc. Personal story lines are neat, and so far I'm loving engineers (mines/flamethrower) and warriors.

Are you guys all insane? if you quote me, then at least quote the date when i posted it. Also, it says CONSIDERING. I have not bought a lifetime account for TSW nor do i even have a running sub for that game currently. And even IF i had that, then it has or would have no affect on how i feel for or against any other game, including GW2. Where have i lied with anything?! Dude, don't accuse me of lying for no reason whatsoever....

Jeez, you guys really are entirely out of touch with reality and need to stop witchhunting people who do not agree with your taste of games. This is getting out of hand.

This game is fucking awesome. I'm hopelessly addicted. I just don't know how people can hate on it.

So, about this black lion chest thing, is it worth the cash shop key to open them?

I think the keys are 125 gem each which means we can only get like 6 keys for $10

This game is fucking awesome. I'm hopelessly addicted. I just don't know how people can hate on it.

Why are you never on when I'm on, and why do you never respond those few times we're on at the same time!? You crack addict.. :p

I haven't played since Saturday morning :( , need to finish Sleeping Dogs first, engrossed in it way too much. Does the 3-Day Early Access continue on all day today, or? Anyone have an ETA on when it ends? I assumed it goes until midnight at least, whereupon you'd need to have the full game bought to continue playing (since it comes out tomorrow).

The game is amazing. I've been having a blast. I'm usually jaded with PvE and its very fun. WvW is awesome, of course.

You on Borlis? :)

The game is amazing. I've been having a blast. I'm usually jaded with PvE and its very fun. WvW is awesome, of course.

Played MMO, hated it for various reason. GW2 is different which is what I like about it.

It doesn't matter to me how similar or dissimilar it is to other MMO. The game by itself is fun to me, and that's what counts.

Sure, you may have different expectations, but I'm not sure why you seems to be troubled by others liking the game more than you. It is hard to believe that others may actually find this game great although you don't?

Back