The Official Guild Wars 2 thread

Well I started norn on yak's bend and got dc'd a bunch of time switched to humans and my game crashed once but other then that it's been ok

Hmm a couple crashes since this mornings patch. It might be my crappy PC since my living room PC isn't really a gaming PC.

Oddly enough i have yet to crash at all and im pushing this old machine hard as hell. Q6600/4870 playing with a mix of high and medium, Im thinking my SSD is helping a lot.

was gonna pre purchase until I saw this thread.. thx for the heads up on the shit server experience guys

It's strange because I'm not having any problems at all. Servers are overcrowded, but after the first few quests it hasn't really been an issue.

Game is just as boring to me as it was during the beta weekends and stress testing. Glad I canceled my pre purchase a while back and just got an Amazon pre order.. I The server experience is lacking but that should settle in time. Unless they chintz out since they have no further incentives to work on things as they have your money already. The game has really annoyingly hectic, orderless, choppy combat flow imo.

Game is just as boring to me as it was during the beta weekends and stress testing. Glad I canceled my pre purchase a while back and just got an Amazon pre order.. I The server experience is lacking but that should settle in time. Unless they chintz out since they have no further incentives to work on things as they have your money already. The game has really annoyingly hectic, orderless, choppy combat flow imo.

your opinions hold absolutely no weight in this thread after all your shenanigan posting and love for tsw

+1. It's beyond me how they could possibly makle the combat that worked so well in GW1 so darn shitty in GW2.

Am I doing this right? I target an enemy with the tab button, run up to them with my directional keys [using melee character], and then commence mashing the number keys and mouse buttons?

Been awhile since I played GW1, but it seems pretty clunky having enemies evade your melee character constantly.

i cant confirm my email address it seems. When i log in i get prompted to check my email and click the link provided to confirm my email address. When i click the link i get and error page that pops up. I can play for now it seems but i still do not have my email confirmed which i have tried several times already.

i cant confirm my email address it seems. When i log in i get prompted to check my email and click the link provided to confirm my email address. When i click the link i get and error page that pops up. I can play for now it seems but i still do not have my email confirmed which i have tried several times already.

Same thing happened to me. I eventually received a few e-mails, several hours later.

Early-access launch day and servers are down for a few hours. Big fucking deal.

I'm done with this thread for awhile, you guys are crazy.

I chose a mesmer plant person. May jump around a bit before deciding on one though.
Yeah, I liked the Mesmer. Think I'm between it and the Warrior at the moment. But the Thief and Elementalist are tempting as well.

I had plenty of time to play all of them during the BWE, and still can't decide. I really like them all, just don't seem to like any of them any more than the others.

Ruled out the pet classes, didn't like the Guardian, didn't actually try Engineer. But damn if the other four aren't making it difficult to choose.

So what class did everyone end up choosing?

I'm still working on deciding. Ugh.

I rolled warrior. I was going to ranger but after beta no way, the pet AI is dumb as a box of rocks.

WArrior seemed to fit well because they get access to so many neat weapons, from rifles, longbows, two handed greatswords, etc and get to wear heavy armor.

Am I doing this right? I target an enemy with the tab button, run up to them with my directional keys [using melee character], and then commence mashing the number keys and mouse buttons?

Been awhile since I played GW1, but it seems pretty clunky having enemies evade your melee character constantly.

Yep, I'm finding it difficult for a warrior too. Though for 1h sword, skill 2 is to charge up to the enemy from a distance so I use that to keep up with the enemy when they runs off.

Ranged combat looks much easier, you just need to get and range and start bombarding them.

I created all five of my characters before midnight on the 24th. There's 5 character slots and 5 races, so I took the hint and created one of each race.

How did I choose my 5 professions? The professions can be divided up thusly:

Soldiers: Guardian, Warrior
Adventurers: Engineer, Ranger, Thief
Scholars: Elementalist, Mesmer, Necromancer

I therefore chose one Soldier, two Adventurers and two Scholars.

Yep, I'm finding it difficult for a warrior too. Though for 1h sword, skill 2 is to charge up to the enemy from a distance so I use that to keep up with the enemy when they runs off.

Ranged combat looks much easier, you just need to get and range and start bombarding them.

unfortunately this is true.

In gw1 once you clicked on a character your avatar would stay locked on them, even if they moved or ran. I love how my firery dragon sword looks. too bad i hate the combat with melee weapons. Im using a rifle now.

I can't believe people are complaining about the launch. I've been a part of a few MMO starts and this has been the best by far. I was able to log into the server THREE hours ahead of schedule, reserve the character names I could and play for the next 6 hours with zero disconnects. A few people on my server had mentioned lag but honestly the only thing I experienced close to that was sometimes it felt like my skills were unresponsive but that could just be the queing system and getting used to timings. I'm having a great time so far, some really great looking locations to explore and am looking forward to getting to other areas. The only issue I've seen after 8+ hours of game play is the trading post thing has been down/wonky since release.

I played a War up until level 20 in beta. I spent a lot of my time defaulting to ranged weapons (rifle for single target, longbow for aoe), but then I discovered I could absolutely just mow stuff down with the greatsword. I spent the last few levels only using ranged when I was worried about incoming damage or when targets were spread out.
I can't believe people are complaining about the launch. I've been a part of a few MMO starts and this has been the best by far. I was able to log into the server THREE hours ahead of schedule, reserve the character names I could and play for the next 6 hours with zero disconnects. A few people on my server had mentioned lag but honestly the only thing I experienced close to that was sometimes it felt like my skills were unresponsive but that could just be the queing system and getting used to timings. I'm having a great time so far, some really great looking locations to explore and am looking forward to getting to other areas. The only issue I've seen after 8+ hours of game play is the trading post thing has been down/wonky since release.
I've also had zero issues (including playing at midnight EST and this morning and logging in/out of the game plenty of times). But it does seem like there are a LOT of people having serious issues, so I'm not really sure my personal experience is really an accurate estimation of how smooth a launch the game is having.

Can someone give me an invite into the H guild? Borlis pass right? Hope that's the right server.

Character name is Stiler Orion.

I'm getting bored of it after 4 hours oh no! Just feels like Im on a railroad track and can't deviate my path.

What the heck are you talking about?

lol, I've spent the majority of my time in game so far not fighting, rather exploring. Finding all the vista's, the point of interest on maps, etc. It seems everything BUT "on a railroad."

I went from lv 2-5 solely on exploring the world an dnot fighting a single damn thing.

One of the few mmo's I've ever been able to do that, usually you're grinding out mob after mob for any decent exp.

Well I pre-purchased the game, as I do with most MMO type games and was excited to play during the early start. However, my boss called me on Wednesday night telling me to travel on Thursday morning, so here I am in Phoenix for a week, while my head start rots. At least my son is playing.../sigh and I purposely didn't play any of the stress or beta events at all, so I could have that new game experience when the early start kicked off....

your opinions hold absolutely no weight in this thread after all your shenanigan posting and love for tsw

Lol, okay. Yours hold no weight then for loving GW2 so blindly. Funny how that works huh? Just as silly a claim as yours. Ps, posting about MMO games in an MMO thread is wrong, clearly! Really man?

I'm getting bored of it after 4 hours oh no! Just feels like Im on a railroad track and can't deviate my path.

Same. It is like TOR, but worse... You have to do 90 percent of everything even if you don't like it, at least most games you can skip most of what you don't find fun and still get the full progression of xp, gear, skill points, etc.

The crown jewel features of the game aren't even well done. Dynamic events are pale imitations of war hammer public quests, with fewer variation of game play but requiring you to chase them. Wvw is a parody of daoc, dumping what made it good (small scale battles with freeform objective defense and travel gated on your side's success), while adding in things that bore such as long several minutes runs to even get to the front, pve up the wazoo in the format of npc factions and little supply camps. It is TOO structured. You end up with a minimal amount of freedom unless you enjoy running for 95 percent of your game play.

Also, the downed mechanic sucks in pvp. 1on1 I kill someone, they teleport away from my finisher, I die to downed of a dot, they rally revive, and finish me.... What the hell??

Last edited:
The game is awesome, no question. To each his own, but I think the whiners are crazy. I played from 11pm to 4am, and from 10am to 3pm today with no sign of slowing down. I cannot remember the last time I binged like this.

The game is awesome, no question. To each his own, but I think the whiners are crazy. I played from 11pm to 4am, and from 10am to 3pm today with no sign of slowing down. I cannot remember the last time I binged like this.

Shiny new toys lose their luster quickly if they aren't truly good. Let me know in a few days or a week.

The game still runs like garbage. I'm seeing my framerate dip into the low 20's which is unacceptable. Everything else I throw at my computer runs just fine.

Lol, okay. Yours hold no weight then for loving GW2 so blindly. Funny how that works huh? Just as silly a claim as yours. Ps, posting about MMO games in an MMO thread is wrong, clearly! Really man?

this isn't an mmo thread its a guild wars 2 thread which happens to be an mmo. Im not a lover of gw2 just a pre purchaser who hasn't played yet. I have no opinions other then what I've seen from videos. You're just trolling now anyways

@toe ! I'll hit you up this week to get everybody in. Looks like my buddy donks already joined :)

The game still runs like garbage. I'm seeing my framerate dip into the low 20's which is unacceptable. Everything else I throw at my computer runs just fine.

Yeah, I am getting large periods in the 20s which is nuts on my machine for the not so amazing graphics this game has by MMO standards. That is on max at 2560x1600 on my signature rig.....

What are yor specs?

I got fairly low fps but it was fixed by newer drivers on my GTX 580.

Back