The Official Guild Wars 2 thread

Well I hope NCSoft doesn't manage the cash shop like they do for Lineage2... so many pay to win items in there and basically you have to buy the XP boosts or never reach cap because the grind is so bad.

NCSoft is the publisher not the developer

im sure they do have some involvement especially with the cash shop. fortunately they dont dictate the gameplay too much.. and the grind philosophy of other MMOs is gone. there are XP bonuses but i dont see that being necessary for you to buy at all. especially since theyve taken all of the pressure off of leveling. this is a game that you can just sit back and enjoy.. not rush to the cap to do the cool shit.

the whole game is cool shit

and cool shit is the best kind of shit

Well I hope NCSoft doesn't manage the cash shop like they do for Lineage2... so many pay to win items in there and basically you have to buy the XP boosts or never reach cap because the grind is so bad.

Anet has outright said they never wish for this game to be pay2win. Also, to be pay2win, some very fundamental aspects of GW2 would have to change in terms of game design.

Nexon is the worst in terms of terrible pay2win schemes. They are literally taking over the Asian game market and is likely larger than Blizzard + EA + any other major gaming company put together (no source - just speculation).

im sure they do have some involvement especially with the cash shop. fortunately they dont dictate the gameplay too much.. and the grind philosophy of other MMOs is gone. there are XP bonuses but i dont see that being necessary for you to buy at all. especially since theyve taken all of the pressure off of leveling. this is a game that you can just sit back and enjoy.. not rush to the cap to do the cool shit.

Outstanding, I am excited to get in game!

This is what I am looking forward to. God the endless grind of other MMO's stopped me from playing them completely. No matter what their difference's they were all basically the same, grind, grind, grind :-( I was going to get the secret world until I saw some of the reviews and they said it was good but went into a grind fest too.

So here is hoping GW2 is the MMO to get me back into MMO's, that it the whole game is the cool shit :)

What? Do you have any idea how the game industry works? The publisher has complete and total control over the game, cash shop and all. NCsoft dictates the cash shop in this game dont kid yourself.

Anet has outright said they never wish for this game to be pay2win. Also, to be pay2win, some very fundamental aspects of GW2 would have to change in terms of game design.

Nexon is the worst in terms of terrible pay2win schemes. They are literally taking over the Asian game market and is likely larger than Blizzard + EA + any other major gaming company put together (no source - just speculation).

Anet can say whatever they want at the end of the day NCsoft pays the bills and what they want they will get. Im not saying the cash shop will be bad im just saying if anyone thinks anet has any real say post launch they need to pay more attention to how things work in the gaming industry.

What? Do you have any idea how the game industry works? The publisher has complete and total control over the game, cash shop and all. NCsoft dictates the cash shop in this game dont kid yourself.

throttle it back homie. youre at a 10 you need to be at a cool like 4 ish fam.

anyways your point is pretty mute. as Anet has shown that pay2win isnt their philosophy and that their control over the game mechanics like the anti grind philosophy helps make that happen. which i mentioned because of his specific concern

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuQRWEKt4pg

Lifetime in TSW will be fairly short by the look of things. What makes GW2 shine is that there is no subscription. If you can get it at a decent discount then it's a really safe buy in terms of getting bang for your buck. I paid $40 for my pre-order and will be playing it in a few hours. I expect that I at least get 40 hours out of it to hit the $1/hr "worth it" mark.

This...in the 3 beta weekend events I put in probably close to 50 hours total. I kind of feel like I have gotten a deal already. Honeymoon phase was over for me by the end of the second BWE, still going to play like a mad man and reconnect with old PVP buddies and have some fun.

On TSW, think I have about 60 hours into it. I like its story line and enjoy the PVE questing. Not sure I will ever see endgame, but character is QL8 geared and I feel it was worth the money. Debating to keep sub or not after this weekend though.

dyes are free though i thought they are just apart of your character sheet. i saw a video the other day dude was just dying his shit whatever he wanted in town

im pretty sure you cant buy gear either cause that would be pay to win and they said they were against that :O

i know its how you get bag space and bank slots

Yeah, you get a palette of standards dyes with every character. As you play, you'll pick up more dyes to customize your character further. In the cash shop though, you can buy a pack of random dyes.

And ArenaNet has said they weren't going to do any pay to win via the cash shop. Even still though, anyone who has actually analyzed end-game at level 80 will realize that everyone will hit a plateau once you're at 80, and the extra effort will be for cool looking gear, not gear that will melt everyone else. To do that, you will need skill.

E.g. a lvl 80 mastercraft/rare sword will have the same amount of total stats (like +100 stats) as a lvl 80 uncommon sword, just that the stats are distributed differently. It will also likely look a ton better, with better effects, etc.

Uh, doesn't the original guild wars have a cash shop? I would think they would be pretty similar in types of items.

throttle it back homie. youre at a 10 you need to be at a cool like 4 ish fam.

anyways your point is pretty mute. as Anet has shown that pay2win isnt their philosophy and that their control over the game mechanics like the anti grind philosophy helps make that happen. which i mentioned because of his specific concern

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuQRWEKt4pg

It's moot not mute and my point stands. What anet says don't matter at the end of the day. The publisher is who matters. Ncsoft will probably leave it be but you can bet your ass if profits drop or they decide to get greedy that won't last.

That's true of any game. :confused:

That's what I'm trying to say but the evangelists in this thread choose to live in denial. If I had a dollar for every promise a dev made that was broken by the publisher I clouds retire.

That's what I'm trying to say but the evangelists in this thread choose to live in denial. If I had a dollar for every promise a dev made that was broken by the publisher I clouds retire.

Haha, yeah, no kidding. GW2 already has kinda broken that promise imo since they have XP boost potions, crafting boost potions, magic find boost potions, dye packs for sale (which are a lot of the endgame hunting since the gear is all of the same power level at the end and readily available) to give you random dyes, you have to pay for extra bank space and bag slots, etc. etc.

Where did you see that? They said that it may go live as early as 9pm est, which is why I keep trying.

Official word is 2 central. The official site has a countdown clock. I would like to know where you saw it would come up early.

Where did you see that? They said that it may go live as early as 9pm est, which is why I keep trying.

as early as 9 PST.. Its up to three hours early and it is supposed to go at 12am..you got a few hours haha

Oh and FYI if they did start early it would be 12 EST Anet is pacific time zone, if they dont start early it starts at 3 am EST.

Oh and FYI if they did start early it would be 12 EST Anet is pacific time zone, if they dont start early it starts at 3 am EST.

+1

The website says it starts in 4.45hrs. So earliest it could start would be 11pm CST (If it goes 3hrs early).

It's moot not mute and my point stands. What anet says don't matter at the end of the day. The publisher is who matters. Ncsoft will probably leave it be but you can bet your ass if profits drop or they decide to get greedy that won't last.

Obviously no one can guarantee anything at this point. But if you're going to criticize a game based on what the publisher might do in the future, then you're going to have a really hard time with gaming in general.

7 years of GW1's cash shop has taught me to at least put a little faith in GW2's cash shop.

Obviously no one can guarantee anything at this point. But if you're going to criticize a game based on what the publisher might do in the future, then you're going to have a really hard time with gaming in general.

7 years of GW1's cash shop has taught me to at least put a little faith in GW2's cash shop.

How am i criticizing the game?

Oh wait, i forgot its a new MMO everything i say about it must be about how perfect it is in every single way and i dare not disagree with anyone saying such things...:rolleyes:

Objectively discussing a game is considered "shenanigans" round here folks, move along.

See you in game, when you quit in a month because you wake up and realize it could never live up to the hype you built up for it in your head can i have your stuff?

You are criticizing the publisher, and you make points that can create discussion - but this isn't a thread about the publisher.

Back