The Official Guild Wars 2 thread

So I used the stress test today to try out a warrior since I had not tried that class yet. OMG how did I wait so long? The class is an absolute blast to play. I think it just got bumped to #1 on my list for release (I was originally leaning toward elementalist).

Greatsword totin' warrior in the level 20's range is an absolute fucking monster. I like to use bow as secondary for kiting hard mobs, and boss fights. I'm still on the fence about warrior or guardian as my first, but I'm kind of leaning towards the warrior.

Anyone playing this on a 30" display 2560x1600res ? Which brand runs Guild Wars 2 better ? A 7900 series from ATI, or GTX 600 series from nVidia ?

Pre-ordered and downloaded yesterday. Missed the stress test, really hope there is another one soon.

time to stop looking at vids and websites..too much being explained...i want to be surprised

i was watching one video to go to build websites and the guy said 'so you don't waste time in the game trying to figure out your build'...um, excuse me, but thats WHY i am playing the game..i WANT to have fun trying the new stuff out...gotta love the power levelers...they always make me laugh..especially with this game....there is NO rush to get to lvl 80 whatsoever...i find that a refreshing change

i've concluded the spvp is gonna be more of a distraction/fun break in the action then an end in and of itself...i watched a guy livestream spvp and he became bored after an hour

my number one reason to play is for the exploration of a new world..oh and that new car smell

going into self imposed gw2 exile now (btw, i had no intention of buying this game but some recent vids changed my mind...go figure..and no sub fee helps ALOT..i'm lookin at you tsw)

I've been watching PvP videos of this game for a few days now... my god it looks majestic. I can't wait to play it :D. Fortunately my girlfriend is out of town for a week or so when it comes out mwahahahhaha :D

I've been watching PvP videos of this game for a few days now... my god it looks majestic. I can't wait to play it :D. Fortunately my girlfriend is out of town for a week or so when it comes out mwahahahhaha :D

Yeah, it looked awesome...
wasn't so awesome when playing.

I'm guessing that will get better once i get past the "wtf am i doing" stage :p

Anyone running dual monitors? I would like to see the layout of how it looks in game.

I didnt really like GW1, havnt looked too much into gw2 , is it different enough to give it a go?

I didnt really like GW1, havnt looked too much into gw2 , is it different enough to give it a go?

Completely different. I too disliked GW1, and I have loved GW2 thus far through the betas. (I'm an old school EQ guy)

Completely different. I too disliked GW1, and I have loved GW2 thus far through the betas. (I'm an old school EQ guy)

Good to see old school EQ guys still are around :) I miss the hell out of that game and have high hopes for GW2

I got a message the other day after patching up that said the current video drivers (Nvidia 301.42's) have issues with the game. Another site mentioned that Nvidia is supposedly going to have a new driver out by the time the game hits to fix the issues. I never had graphical issues, so not sure if it's just performance improvements or what.

Good to see old school EQ guys still are around :) I miss the hell out of that game and have high hopes for GW2
Lol. Get to Vex Thal at 10 AM. Sit around for two hours waiting for enough people to show up while keeping an eye on rival guild activity. Tirelessly grind your way to candyland while pets are constantly falling through the floor and chaining half the zone and routinely setting you back. Kill Aten Ha Ra at 4 AM and go to bed. :p

There are lots of things I miss about EQ. But I sometimes have to remind myself that part of it is nostalgia blurring out the really rough parts that drove me crazy.

But in the end I still miss the old days of MMOs. I don't think GW2 will bring that back (nor was I really expecting it to), but hopefully the formula's been changed up enough that it'll feel fresh. Seems a really long time now that MMOs have been coming out that aren't maybe necessarily bad, but just kind of fail to give me a reason to play it over anything else.

Anyone running dual monitors? I would like to see the layout of how it looks in game.

how does dual monitors work anywho? i always assumed it was kind of a pain in the ass since the screens would be split. unlike eyefinity where you have a center screen so it doesnt split the important things

But in the end I still miss the old days of MMOs. I don't think GW2 will bring that back (nor was I really expecting it to), but hopefully the formula's been changed up enough that it'll feel fresh. Seems a really long time now that MMOs have been coming out that aren't maybe necessarily bad, but just kind of fail to give me a reason to play it over anything else.

I don't think I was expecting GW2 to bring back the old days of MMOs, I am just hoping it brings skill based PvP back. I look at the videos of PvP and I keep thinking this game doesn't look like they dumbed it down like WoW did or most new MMOs do. It looks like you need damn good situational awareness and positioning to make things work, and I look forward to that.

I don't think I was expecting GW2 to bring back the old days of MMOs, I am just hoping it brings skill based PvP back. I look at the videos of PvP and I keep thinking this game doesn't look like they dumbed it down like WoW did or most new MMOs do. It looks like you need damn good situational awareness and positioning to make things work, and I look forward to that.

well the important thing is balance. they made gear equal throughout.. so just because you can play for 3 weeks without sleep while im at work doesnt put me at a disadvantage. this is key. because in the end it'll be about skill not gear.

arenanet has been focusing on that a lot it seems. gear is more about looks less about character buffing. even in pve it seems gear is significantly less important which is good because it prevents limitations by gear over skill in PVE as well.. fuck gear checks if i am good enough to down a boss im good enough my gear shouldnt have to be too

I don't think I was expecting GW2 to bring back the old days of MMOs,
I wasn't trying to imply that anyone was expecting it to, just wanted to make sure no one thought I was going into GW2 thinking that.

Actually, I went into GW2 expecting something like GW1 but a little more MMO-ish. Boy was I surprised.

well the important thing is balance. they made gear equal throughout.. so just because you can play for 3 weeks without sleep while im at work doesnt put me at a disadvantage. this is key. because in the end it'll be about skill not gear.

arenanet has been focusing on that a lot it seems. gear is more about looks less about character buffing. even in pve it seems gear is significantly less important which is good because it prevents limitations by gear over skill in PVE as well.. fuck gear checks if i am good enough to down a boss im good enough my gear shouldnt have to be too

Well, gear checks I think are alright to be honest, it's part of MMO's to be honest. You should have good gear to do the harder stuff. Now the random-drop portion of MMO's can get frustrating, I'd agree there wholeheartedly.

Well, gear checks I think are alright to be honest, it's part of MMO's to be honest. You should have good gear to do the harder stuff. Now the random-drop portion of MMO's can get frustrating, I'd agree there wholeheartedly.

why though? I think harder fights should have harder mechanics not harder gear checks.. gear checks are a way to get you to commit more time to their game which is what they want your time...and your soul...

I like the idea of getting better gear etc, and I think it should help with PvP, but to a much lesser extent than previously. I feel that gear should close minor skill gaps; otherwise what's the point of collecting it?

I like the idea of getting better gear etc, and I think it should help with PvP, but to a much lesser extent than previously. I feel that gear should close minor skill gaps; otherwise what's the point of collecting it?

I suppose I was talking about PvE moreso. With PvP, it should be all about skill.

why though? I think harder fights should have harder mechanics not harder gear checks.. gear checks are a way to get you to commit more time to their game which is what they want your time...and your soul...

I think the problem is people typically compound the two systems when talking about no gear checks. People say "why would we ever do x dungeon if we don't need to in order to do the harder ones?" However, they are still in the mindset that the harder dungeons give better gear. We've been on the gear treadmill for so long that it's hard to think about a reason to explore a dungeon besides leet gearz.

I think the problem is people typically compound the two systems when talking about no gear checks. People say "why would we ever do x dungeon if we don't need to in order to do the harder ones?" However, they are still in the mindset that the harder dungeons give better gear. We've been on the gear treadmill for so long that it's hard to think about a reason to explore a dungeon besides leet gearz.

yeah... the dungeon should be fun :) not a daily grind

But his point is still good. Wtf is the point of collecting gear if it doesn't do anything? (in pvp OR pve...)

To look like a badass, duh.

It probably will help a bit as well. All of the same rarity items for a given level are approx equivalent, but you can probably get some that lean more toward supporting your build.

One robe may have +20 power +20 precision +20 toughness
while another has +30 power +30 vitality.

To look like a badass, duh.

It probably will help a bit as well. All of the same rarity items for a given level are approx equivalent, but you can probably get some that lean more toward supporting your build.

yeah its like 90% about aesthetics for me when it comes to armor anyways.. haha fucking love looking cool in mmos.

That I can work with. Min maxing for certain builds without having the some items be well above the total stat allocation of the previous.

yeah its like 90% about aesthetics for me when it comes to armor anyways.. haha fucking love looking cool in mmos.
I love looking derpy and working with a derpy build but still being successful. :D unconventional is my name :D

But his point is still good. Wtf is the point of collecting gear if it doesn't do anything? (in pvp OR pve...)

From what I have heard recently, the idea of no gear progression is not quite as straight forward as many seem to thik.

There are still gear qualities, and the highest quality gear stil has the best stats. So, you will need to do dungeons/PVP/whatever enough to reach the max stat gear. That process might be shorter than in other games, but it does still exist.

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/46603-faq-equipment-attributes-and-you-updated/

Here's a pretty detailed explanation of the system.

At any given level, is all gear the same?
This is where there are many misconceptions. For any given level, attributes and defence ratings are not the same UNLESS they are the same rarity also. Here's an example of two great swords at level 80 (Image from reddit poster ardikus).

From what I have heard recently, the idea of no gear progression is not quite as straight forward as many seem to thik.

There are still gear qualities, and the highest quality gear stil has the best stats. So, you will need to do dungeons/PVP/whatever enough to reach the max stat gear. That process might be shorter than in other games, but it does still exist.

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/46603-faq-equipment-attributes-and-you-updated/

Here's a pretty detailed explanation of the system.

thanks for sharing the FAQ. DOPE

Back