The Official Guild Wars 2 thread

not bad. so u cna only get vanity items using real money/gems? thats pants

Well, not necessarily. You can trade your gems for gold as well, so anything in the Marketplace (Auction House) is thus available. However, and a big one at that... You can only trade your gems for gold with players. If no players want to buy your gems, then you won't get any gold.

Edit: Misinterpretation

Last edited:
Well, not necessarily. You can trade your gems for gold as well, so anything in the Marketplace (Auction House) is thus available. However, and a big one at that... You can only trade your gems for gold with players. If no players want to buy your gems, then you won't get any gold. ArenaNet will not be putting any gold on the market, only taking it away (Gold -> Gems. Gold would then be destroyed). Which actually is fucking brilliant and is a great gold sink IMO. Games like TOR for example, I had two million credits that I had nothing to do with by the end. With GW2 I'll at least be able to convert it into gems to get some vanity stuff.

Wait, if you can only trade your gold for gems with players, how would the gold be destoryed? It would just be transferred to the player selling you the gem.

Or can you buy gems directly from the shop with gold too?

Hmm, I just read what people are worried about. So you buy gems with cash, then trade gems for gold. Apparently with the Guild Promoter you can trade then trade gold for Influence. Influence can then be spent on boosts for your guild, like the 10% boost to finding rare loot from around the world and rare materials from mining, logging, and harvesting. There are also karma boosts, which is then used for upgrades. There are a bunch more boosts, obviously.

Wait, if you can only trade your gold for gems with players, how would the gold be destoryed? It would just be transferred to the player selling you the gem.

Oops. I have no idea what I was talking about by the second half of that comment.

I think that's what I was thinking. I don't know the actual answer and edited it out of my previous post.

Last edited:
well clearly that diagram is a poor representation on how the transaction system works in this game as it is still unclear to all of us how it works lol

Gold will be destroyed with each auction house purchase, presuming that everything in the game will have a listing fee for putting an item for sale. Or when you buy gear or repairs from a NPC, that destroys gold from the economy as well.

well clearly that diagram is a poor representation on how the transaction system works in this game as it is still unclear to all of us how it works lol

The system is pretty simple, that diagram doesn't help.

People spend actual cash money to buy gems from . They can then use the gems to buy vanity/convenience items from a NPC *OR* sell their gems on the auction house for gold. The gold will be used to buy various [WHATEVER] just like WoW or other MMOs. Other people can then use gold they earned to buy gems on the auction house, and get those same vanity/convenience items without spending cash.

Last edited:
Gold will be destroyed with each auction house purchase, presuming that everything in the game will have a listing fee for putting an item for sale. Or when you buy gear or repairs from a NPC, that destroys gold from the economy as well.

Watch the drop rates for items relevant to your class be low only to encourage the use of the Trading Post.

Well obviously I understand those gold sinks, I was asking about the specific thing mentioned in the other post, which was not the same and not worth discussing at this point since it was basically a misunderstanding.

Here is a simple diagram of the transaction system. I think it's better than the other that was posted.

microtransition.jpg

Hopefully that helps!

Hmm, I just read what people are worried about. So you buy gems with cash, then trade gems for gold. Apparently with the Guild Promoter you can trade then trade gold for Influence. Influence can then be spent on boosts for your guild, like the 10% boost to finding rare loot from around the world and rare materials from mining, logging, and harvesting. There are also karma boosts, which is then used for upgrades. There are a bunch more boosts, obviously.
You'll notice that those boosts are temporary and are severely limited by the time it takes to research them (12 hours - 1 day) and that you can only research up to two at a time (if you get the Guild Workshop upgrade). Permanent upgrades take up to 1 week. It seems that paying the Influence price is not required, but lowers the research time by 25%, according to the Guru article linked on that wiki page.

It looks a lot like tf2 which I am perfectly fine with. As long as the gameplay is good and balanced i'm perfectly fine with them finding an alternative way to get income to improve the game and put some well earned coin in their pocket.

Cash shop leaks. I greatly dislike the idea of cosmetic items in the store on day 1. It's just day 1 DLC.

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1244424&postcount=3668

I prefer volontary DLC than mandotary one (ie: monthly fees).
One can play GW2 without ever spending more money than the actual game and enjoy it as well as anyone else.

Are you guys on your PMS or something? You seem to work really hard to find things to bitch about.

Oh and your link is dead, just saying.

One can play GW2 without ever spending more money than the actual game and enjoy it as well as anyone else.

Are you guys on your PMS or something? You seem to work really hard to find things to bitch about.

I agree with this guy. You guys are over-analyzing this when really, there's nothing wrong with giving people the option to purchase cosmetic items.

I agree with this guy. You guys are over-analyzing this when really, there's nothing wrong with giving people the option to purchase cosmetic items.

Lol. I'm not one of the people bitching, but do you even know what we're talking about? I assume not since you only mentioned cosmetic items. :D Of course there's nothing wrong with cosmetic items! How about the other shit people are actually talking about?

Got it, Day 1 DLC = awesome.

I can't tell if you're serious, but I am sadly thinking you are. I don't even know how to respond to this or if I even should.

Aren't they just doing what Bioware did? Cutting content from the final game to sell on the side?

Aren't they just doing what Bioware did? Cutting content from the final game to sell on the side?

Not at all. It's not even playable content.

It's also a F2P MMO, which I have played many of, and they all have cash shops. It's their way of gaining revenue when they aren't charging for a subscription fee. That way the people who wish to get cutesy and vanity items can, and also make up for the person who wants to play their game free (with the exception of the initial purchase of the game). In an ideal F2P, the person buying things in the cash shop does not have an unfair advantage over the person just playing for free.

It's even better with GW2, as people playing for free still have access to getting gems without having to pay with real life money.

Like I said in a previous post though, the current concern is "So you buy gems with cash, then trade gems for gold. Apparently with the Guild Promoter you can trade then trade gold for Influence. Influence can then be spent on boosts for your guild, like the 10% boost to finding rare loot from around the world and rare materials from mining, logging, and harvesting. There are also karma boosts, which is then used for upgrades. There are a bunch more boosts, obviously.". I have not seen anyone but you call a F2P MMO "Day-1 DLC", or even just "DLC".

Link to the cash shop leaks: http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/cash-shop-items-leak-t32319.html

Everyone should take a look at these. If legit, it looks like this is more than just cosmetic: you can use gems to buy temporary exp/karma/magic find boosts; extra bank, bag, and character slots; random "packs" of dyes, items, etc..

None of this really bothers me too much. GW2 is a fully fledged, no-monthly-fee MMO now, and this was sort of expected. Given they are so anti "pay-to-win," I'm hoping their are alternate ways to attain some of this stuff.

Link to the cash shop leaks: http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/cash-shop-items-leak-t32319.html

Everyone should take a look at these. If legit, it looks like this is more than just cosmetic: you can use gems to buy temporary exp/karma/magic find boosts; extra bank, bag, and character slots; random "packs" of dyes, items, etc..

None of this really bothers me too much. GW2 is a fully fledged, no-monthly-fee MMO now, and this was sort of expected. Given they are so anti "pay-to-win," I'm hoping their are alternate ways to attain some of this stuff.

You can spend your gold to guy Gems in the auction house, then buy that stuff.

You can spend your gold to guy Gems in the auction house, then buy that stuff.

I know, but that requires people who buy gems to sell them for gold, as ArenaNet has said they are not putting anything into the economy themselves. Maybe there will be big enough gold sinks for that to happen all the time. It will be interesting to see how the economy balances around that.

Personally, none of it bothers me too much. With no monthly fee, I have no problem ArenaNet supporting themselves with this system. There will be some people up in arms over this, no doubt.

EDIT: Not sure what the "mystic key" is all about. You have to pay cash money to open a chest?

You have to be trolling.
They're not cutting content, they're offering "extras" that you can buy with real money if you want to.

If you don't, it won't change your gaming experience and you won't actually miss not having it.

You have to be trolling.
They're not cutting content, they're offering "extras" that you can buy with real money if you want to.

If you don't, it won't change your gaming experience and you won't actually miss not having it.

Isn't that what Bioware did? Just "offered extras that you can buy with real money"?

Isn't that what Bioware did? Just "offered extras that you can buy with real money"?

I'm pretty convinced you're trolling now, but I will add this.

Did Bioware add new uniforms and hats that you can buy that had the exact same stats as things you get in the game? Did they add a little token that gave you 10% more experience for 1 hour?

OR

Did they add an entire character that was a major contributor to the plot and lore of the game?

Did Bioware add new uniforms and hats that you can buy that had the exact same stats as things you get in the game? Did they add a little token that gave you 10% more experience for 1 hour?

OR

Did they add an entire character that was a major contributor to the plot and lore of the game?

Exactly this...

OR

+1

It's one thing to be skeptical about a game. I'm skeptical about every game these days until it's released and I play it. It's another to nitpick and make bad comparisons about a game just to smear it.

GW2 is going to be a massive success, or another WoW clone that will be forgotten by most of us in a month. Let it succeed or fail on it's own merits, not by trolling it.

Dude, I'm sorry but you're fucking delusional.

It's COSMETIC... it's NOTHING like what Bioware did.

Apples to fucking oranges, man. Don't get it twisted.

Also, to clarify... LotRO was one of the first MMO's to go F2P and greatly succeed in doing so.

As Scooty Puff Sr. here mentioned, they too had things you could purchase with your "gems" equivalent currency. Things like XP boost for an hour, or a day, so on and so forth. These never changed the game, it gave people an opportunity to get to where they wanted to go faster. I highly doubt ArenaNet will do something to jeopardize the PvP with something like pay-to-win. They even said they won't. So what's the big fucking deal?

Scotty Puff Sr took care of the troll, don't feed him any more bacon!

My day's going well, working hard then you come here and mention bacon. Why? It's 2pm and I can't leave work until 5pm, what am I gonna do until then?

Back