The Official Guild Wars 2 thread

I've always been pretty pessimistic about "WoW killer" (ToR will be a failure too btw) type games, but this will probably be the closest so far. The models look good, the animations flow well, the gameplay looks dynamic, the environments look nice. Props. I like what I see.

I don't really see the importance of it being a WoW killer, just like how do see it important for a FPS game to be a CoD killer (see BF3 discussions). As long as it is popular enough to form a sustainable community, that is all that matters.

I mean is a player base of 10m+ vs. 2m+ (random example) really going to affect your enjoyment of a game?

If anything I'd prefer games to find their own niche then just aiming for the mainstream and trying to be more like WoW to "kill" WoW.

I don't really see the importance of it being a WoW killer, just like how do see it important for a FPS game to be a CoD killer (see BF3 discussions). As long as it is popular enough to form a sustainable community, that is all that matters.

I mean is a player base of 10m+ vs. 2m+ (random example) really going to affect your enjoyment of a game?

If anything I'd prefer games to find their own niche then just aiming for the mainstream and trying to be more like WoW to "kill" WoW.

All these MMO's throughout the years get created, have great PR hype, then turn out to be only a money grab in the MMO genre or have just plain sucked. Ever since Vanguard very few MMO's have survived. They are all played when they're new, and when the newness factor wears off, people go back to WoW. It doesn't have to "kill WoW" population wise, but it does have to be atleast as good so as to have a stable and reasonable population so this doesn't keep happening.

Ever since Vanguard, I've seen an MMO get hyped up (currently TOR) and said to myself, "Yep, not gonna stand a chance", a few months later the inevitable forum post comes "Anyone still play XX?" with the same old same old. This one might have the chance to last. Guild Wars 2 actually looks pretty good relative to most other attempts.

MMOs lose so much of their luster when the game world feels completely empty, and when the mass exodus begins after the free month is up, it really sucks. An FPS feels fine as long as there is a single populated server to play on, but an MMO with nobody playing it is just bland, boring bullshit.

I love the running casting vibe in that elementalist video. It also helps he's jumping non stop.

I can't wait.

All these MMO's throughout the years get created, have great PR hype, then turn out to be only a money grab in the MMO genre or have just plain sucked. Ever since Vanguard very few MMO's have survived. They are all played when they're new, and when the newness factor wears off, people go back to WoW. It doesn't have to "kill WoW" population wise, but it does have to be atleast as good so as to have a stable and reasonable population so this doesn't keep happening.

Ever since Vanguard, I've seen an MMO get hyped up (currently TOR) and said to myself, "Yep, not gonna stand a chance", a few months later the inevitable forum post comes "Anyone still play XX?" with the same old same old. This one might have the chance to last. Guild Wars 2 actually looks pretty good relative to most other attempts.

Guild Wars 2 is almost a guaranteed success for a few reasons;

- Development team is experienced, and key members come from Blizzard
- Guild Wars 1 is already a very successful RPG, selling 7 million copies
- Guild Wars 2 is free to play, no monthly subscription
- Graphics look awesome, and combat looks fresh and fun
- Dynamic events starting at Level 1 feeling like end game content stuff, is amazing for an MMO to have finally.

SW;ToR should be worried :)

- Guild Wars 2 is free to play, no monthly subscription

This IMO is the main reason, unless its total crap this alone will make it successful. The whole sub free model is really starting to take off over here in the states finally and a AAA title with no sub stands a damn good shot at really competing with WoW.

I love the running casting vibe in that elementalist video. It also helps he's jumping non stop.

I can't wait.

Can't tell if you're serious. :p

I hate running while casting. I'd rather the challenge of having to find time and space to cast. I can't be that picky these days though.

I hate running while casting. I'd rather the challenge of having to find time and space to cast. I can't be that picky these days though.

I'm pretty sure most of the MMOs out right now implement this in their combat, I don't think you'll have much of a problem :p

I'm pretty sure most of the MMOs out right now implement this in their combat, I don't think you'll have much of a problem :p

Which is highly irritating and why I rarely played a casting class. GW2, doing things RIGHT!

MMOs lose so much of their luster when the game world feels completely empty, and when the mass exodus begins after the free month is up, it really sucks. An FPS feels fine as long as there is a single populated server to play on, but an MMO with nobody playing it is just bland, boring bullshit.

I agree and understand that, which is why I mentioned all it needs to be is successful enough to have a large sustainable community.

To me whenever you bring up WoW killer, it seems like people are trying to hype up a game to supplant WoW in terms of success, or at least be roughly competitive. Something I don't feel is necessary for a game to be enjoyable.

In terms of BF3/CoD example, its the same thing, BF3 is being hyped by some as a CoD killer and leading to a rather pointless competition.

Has there been any mention of an approx release date ? I am just guessing this is a 2012 title ? With SW;ToR being released this Nov/Dec they don't want it launched at the same time ?

Has there been any mention of an approx release date ? I am just guessing this is a 2012 title ? With SW;ToR being released this Nov/Dec they don't want it launched at the same time ?

Closed beta definitely this year. Open beta depending on the outcome of that, but late this year or early next year. Release will depend on the open beta.

I'd say 2011 is incredibly unlikely, but Q1 2012 seems possible.

Can't tell if you're serious. :p

No I like it. I just think it makes combat a lot more fluid. Since as far as I can remember melee with any sort of interrupt has always had an advantage.

I think it makes combat a lot more FPS like in motion. As long as CC and snares aren't total nonsense like in WoW then the combat will perfect. From that second video it looks like that's the case.

CC ruins pvp.

I'm pretty excited about this game, and I haven't been excited about an MMO in years. I have a question though. How do they sustain a revenue flow without monthly subs? I mean, if GW2 is going to be good with no subs, how good would it be if they had revenue coming in monthly? I'm not saying I WANT to pay a sub fee, but I'm curious how the lack of a monthly fee effects revenues and future development....

While you're correct, they will definitely have paid expansion packs for new content. They are also considering the possibility of additional purchasable dungeons and such in between the expansion packs, but "only if that's what the players want".

Naturally, that's how it was with GW, and I bought all of the expansions. Buying an expansion every couple of years is a lot better than paying a monthly fee, and then also having to buy an expansion.

Im looking forward to GW2. So far it is looking good. I liked GW1 but got burnt out real quick. Hoping this game will keep me interested.

How do they sustain a revenue flow without monthly subs? I mean, if GW2 is going to be good with no subs, how good would it be if they had revenue coming in monthly?

Expansion packs and the cash shop, which would sell things like character slots, transmutation stones (which let you apply one item's model/texture to another) and costumes. They are also considering the possibility of creating additional dungeons (or other pieces of content) to sell in the cash shop between expansions (and in addition to the regular, free updates) if there is demand. They've repeatedly said that nothing in the cash shop would make a character more powerful, i.e., it's not "buy to win".

Naturally, that's how it was with GW, and I bought all of the expansions. Buying an expansion every couple of years is a lot better than paying a monthly fee, and then also having to buy an expansion.
That was mostly just to clarify for people who aren't familiar with GW1's model. The single dungeon purchases would be different, though. The Bonus Mission Pack is not really the same, in my understanding.

If they do decide to go for some DLC-esque content, I hope they price it well and that it's truly extra. I've felt that almost all the DLC I've seen in other games is overpriced and a lot of the time it's clear that they cut it out of the base game to be able to sell it separately.

Expansion packs and the cash shop, which would sell things like character slots, transmutation stones (which let you apply one item's model/texture to another) and costumes. They are also considering the possibility of creating additional dungeons (or other pieces of content) to sell in the cash shop between expansions (and in addition to the regular, free updates) if there is demand. They've repeatedly said that nothing in the cash shop would make a character more powerful, i.e., it's not "buy to win".

So you can pay more to look bad ass? I am so fucked.

Funny thing is with all the videos they have released and that impressive dragon raid boss fight. This is going to be a very good MMO game that doesn't require a subscription. I'm very likely to get this. I really don't know if Star Wars the old republic will hold me over for a year.

Arenanet is a really ear to the ground company from what I can remember. I was in the GW1 alpha and everything would get changed or rebalanced so fast. Considering they didn't have forums either was pretty impressive.

One could only hope for a sort of FFA server.

One could only hope for a sort of FFA server.

Assuming you mean something like DAoC's Mordred/Andred, I don't think there is a chance of that. It's quite clear that they intend PvE and PvP to be separate, FFA wouldn't make sense in World vs World and in Structured PvP you can end up with anybody on the other team, so you will be fighting others from your server anyway.

I really like that business model.

And the expansions gave you a LOT of playtime for your money. They worked as standalone as well.

Been waiting since I lost my account info for GW1 like 4 years ago. Been playing WoW in the meantime and although it's been fun, I'm kicking that crap to curb fo'eva when GW2 comes out. Beta, collector's edition, whatever they throw at me I WANT IT. Looking good guys, only thing it lacks is a guarantee that the company will hire me when I get out of school.

Been waiting since I lost my account info for GW1 like 4 years ago. Been playing WoW in the meantime and although it's been fun, I'm kicking that crap to curb fo'eva when GW2 comes out. Beta, collector's edition, whatever they throw at me I WANT IT. Looking good guys, only thing it lacks is a guarantee that the company will hire me when I get out of school.

I lost my original guild wars account and started a new one when I bought the package deal from Steam one day. Forgot that info and when I contacted customer service they had my old account information and gave me that and set up my new steam purchase on the old account for me. Was pretty painless actually. Might be worth contacting them if you have a GW1 itch that needs scratching.

Might be worth contacting them if you have a GW1 itch that needs scratching.

I got the gold pack or whatever on steam. I was interested in it because gw2 looks so good. Man that game is dated as fuck. GW 1 and 2 looks pretty much nothing alike. just sayin.

Who is doing the music for this thing? Did they get back Jeremy Soule? I hope so.

Those videos lathered me up a bit more for this. I think I'll probably end up biting on it.

So cant wait for tis game, the fact that if you swing your weapon and if a monster is withing range it hits it! The Engineer, Thief and Elementalist have my attention for sure.

So cant wait for tis game, the fact that if you swing your weapon and if a monster is withing range it hits it!

That's actually not true. I assume you're referring to TotalBiscuit's comments during his PvE demo, but at the time was using the Flurry ability, which is AE (presumably a cone). Projectiles do hit the first object in their path, though, so you can use your body to block them for others.

I can't believe I have this much interest in an MMO. I HATE MMOs and this thing's got my attention anyways.

What is it that you hate about MMOs though? Like most genre classifications, games these days are starting to blur lines and move beyond these.

Back