The Official Guild Wars 2 thread

You must be so excited that you st-stuttered in the thread title!

Awesome video. Love the graphics and game play. This is a first day purchase definitely.

Is there any pvp footage out yet? Specifically group pvp? I would assume no, but figured I'd ask. I love seeing a great looking world and getting a general sense for how the game feels, but other than that, I've seen enough vids of people doing a couple quests and some sort of public encounter (not that I'm complaining about them being posted, I'm sure other people want to see them).

The one big annoyance for me so far is the targeting highlight. I hope you can turn that off.

How does the pricing work on this game, Assuming $60, I heard no monthly fee but they have premium stuff so if you want it you can get it, if not then no big deal?

My wife and I will be playing, guaranteed. Probably quite a few family members and friends too.

That's looking pretty fun, will try it out for sure. Thanks for the youtube heads up links.

Seems like every time I watch a video for SW:ToR and feel mildly interested, a GW2 video pops up that decimates ToR in every way. I'll probably end up getting both, but I know that I am going to end up putting most of my time in GW2. I loved the first one, and this just looks like an incredible leap forward.

Uh. Uh. Um. Uhhh. Um.

WTF, that guy needs speech classes. I watched it without commentary. Can't wait for this game.

I have noticed this a lot lately with marketing guys in the gaming industry. When did it become acceptable to have a PR guy sound like a total idiot?

How does the pricing work on this game, Assuming $60, I heard no monthly fee but they have premium stuff so if you want it you can get it, if not then no big deal?

Absolutely no monthly fees. Just pay the original entry price, and the game is free to play for eternity, or until the servers are finally shut down, whichever comes first.

I still jump on to play Guild Wars every once in a while, nearly 6 years after I started playing it, and I don't need to renew a subscription or anything, It's great.

Been waiting for this game for over a year now. Put 1200+ hours into GW1. I'm sure I'll pull some sort of long gaming session with this finally comes out.

Uh. Uh. Um. Uhhh. Um.

WTF, that guy needs speech classes. I watched it without commentary. Can't wait for this game.

Just cut the CC (closed captioning) on and then transcribe the audio. Translates the audio for you.

Guild Wars and Diablo 3 are going to eat a lot of my time. Hopefully they are spaced out a bit.

I am stoked for this game. I am also really looking forward to the old republic. Since this game has no monthly fee it will be awesome to be able to play two completely different types of mmo's at once.

Combat seems fun in this game, reminds me of DC Universe with the evasive rolling and weapon specific attacks. I just hope they have something more than battlegrounds/arena planned for the scope of their PvP content.

I watched those two GW2 PvE videos by TotalBiscuit, and then his latest ToR Smuggler video, and I thought to myself, "Did I seriously pre-order this?" Obviously I'm still excited for ToR, but compared to GW2, it looks like complete shit, heh. I just hope (and I think they are) they are spaced at least a few months apart so I can feel like my money was worth it for ToR before GW2 comes out.

Was anything mentioned that gives a better idea of a release date? I'm assuming 2011 is a no?

While I was already looking forward to this game, this video pretty much elevates this game to "JUST TAKE MY DAMN MONEY ALREADY" status.

Combat seems fun in this game, reminds me of DC Universe with the evasive rolling and weapon specific attacks. I just hope they have something more than battlegrounds/arena planned for the scope of their PvP content.

They have the World PvP, "a Player versus Player game mode where three servers, or worlds, are matched against each other to compete for rewards and resources that can potentially benefit their respective server. Matches are held on random, large-scale maps that allow hundreds of players of all levels to participate at any time."

Source: GW2 Wiki

If you're thinking of the open-world PvP, like a PvP server on WoW or Rift for example, I looked around and saw a few people saying GW2 won't have that kind of PvP. I couldn't find anything from official sources though.

I watched those two GW2 PvE videos by TotalBiscuit, and then his latest ToR Smuggler video, and I thought to myself, "Did I seriously pre-order this?" Obviously I'm still excited for ToR, but compared to GW2, it looks like complete shit, heh. I just hope (and I think they are) they are spaced at least a few months apart so I can feel like my money was worth it for ToR before GW2 comes out.

Man I was thinking the exact same thing. I'm betting that SW:TOR has a better story line and that GW2 has better game play. That way I can justify both purchases.

:)

Here's an instanced PvP vid between Arenanet devs and a GW1 guild (skip to 6:45 to see actual fighting): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqmmKgRaZrY

That elementalist looks like they know what they're doing.

Am I correct in my observation that there is no sticky targetting, as in there is no, "click on a mob or player" which locks the target until you kill it, die, or tab to another target?

If so, I'm even more excited.

TotalBiscuit tries his hand at some PvP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvHV7HB2BDc

I had no idea they were going to have destructible environments in the PvP instances.

Anybody else get the vibe like the game designer dude is getting irritated by how shitty TB is while playing? I know he's never played the class before and he's jumping in at max level with a boatload of skills, but I still get irritated when I watch people failing.

Anybody else get the vibe like the game designer dude is getting irritated by how shitty TB is while playing? I know he's never played the class before and he's jumping in at max level with a boatload of skills, but I still get irritated when I watch people failing.

I get irritated just hearing about TB.

I have to say, even as someone that's pretty anti-MMO, that I like what I see here so far.

I've always been pretty pessimistic about "WoW killer" (ToR will be a failure too btw) type games, but this will probably be the closest so far. The models look good, the animations flow well, the gameplay looks dynamic, the environments look nice. Props. I like what I see.

Absolutely no monthly fees. Just pay the original entry price, and the game is free to play for eternity, or until the servers are finally shut down, whichever comes first.

While you're correct, they will definitely have paid expansion packs for new content. They are also considering the possibility of additional purchasable dungeons and such in between the expansion packs, but "only if that's what the players want".

Am I correct in my observation that there is no sticky targetting, as in there is no, "click on a mob or player" which locks the target until you kill it, die, or tab to another target?

You are not correct (mostly). There is no targeting of allies, but you do target enemies. However, players can dodge (roll in a designated direction) to avoid attacks. In the new demo (starting with Gamescom), dodging also causes you to "evade", which essentially means you are immune to attacks for the duration of the roll. It's something they are testing and may or may not stay as it is.

Back