• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

The Official Guild Wars 2 thread

I'm burnt out on the emphasis on end-game raiding to gain marginal better gear than the one you spent countless hours in the past month for.

I work enough during the week during my actual job, that I don't want that level of duress in an MMO anymore.

If that is still your thing though, Blizzard's got you covered with mists of pandaria and a monthly sub.

Otherwise, I'll enjoy myself jumping in anytime, even if I took a few months hiatus, in GW2's world.

I'm pretty half and half. I wouldn't rant on and on if they did have raids as an OPTIONAL portion, but it wouldn't be a big deal if they didn't. Like Gaiden said, WoW's got us covered for our raiding needs. With the amount of time I spend coding each week, I'd rather not go through forced raiding to see shit, especially not in a new game like this.
 
yeah, i might just do this cause after reading more reviews, people don't enjoy the combat and movement... and that's what i look for most.

Combat is bland at first. Opens up quite a bit as you add more actives and passives. I still like GW2 combat as much as I do TSW both are fun but TSW has more depth IMO due to the skill tree combinations.
 
Combat is bland at first. Opens up quite a bit as you add more actives and passives. I still like GW2 combat as much as I do TSW both are fun but TSW has more depth IMO due to the skill tree combinations.


id rather be able to dodge arrows
 
I'm pretty half and half. I wouldn't rant on and on if they did have raids as an OPTIONAL portion, but it wouldn't be a big deal if they didn't. Like Gaiden said, WoW's got us covered for our raiding needs. With the amount of time I spend coding each week, I'd rather not go through forced raiding to see shit, especially not in a new game like this.

The problem is, if raids were actually optional, i.e. there was no game changing reward for doing them, then (almost) no one would do them, since they're such a pain. Conversely, if GW2 had raids, they'd have to make the reward for doing them good enough to do them, so in the end people that didn't raid would be left behind.

Any game mechanic that needs daily/weekly meetings for the players to remain competitive in, is not a game I want to be playing. So kudos to GW2 for completely dropping this un-fun mechanic.
 
I'd be interested to see if they implemented crazy difficult world bosses instead of the raids we've grown accustomed to. I'd really like to see more things akin to http://gotgame.corante.com/archives20031101.html#61354

but other than that I really don't wanna return to the raiding lifestyle.

That's actually an interesting point. There are some crazy world bosses already in the game and I guess you could call them "raids" (large number of players vs. boss in PvE?). In BWE3, there was a fire element boss that basically wiped the entire zone (Asura starting area) for 30 minutes before dying. Although, the fact that the entire zone can resort to graveyard zerging this guy was a little underwhelming in the end.

I fought a similarly "large" (humongous??!?!) boss in a swamp area in BWE1 as well. He wasn't quite as hard, but it was pretty amusing to see basically the entire area respond to this event and gather to kill him.

Anyway, it seems fashionable for certain people on [H] to try to trash a game in its thread for whatever reason. It's not like you're going to really accomplish anything other than incite the ire of those who actually like said game. If you think a game is overhyped, then don't play it and be comfortable playing whatever other game you prefer. I don't see any people from here going into the TSW thread and crapping it.
 
The problem is, if raids were actually optional, i.e. there was no game changing reward for doing them, then (almost) no one would do them, since they're such a pain. Conversely, if GW2 had raids, they'd have to make the reward for doing them good enough to do them, so in the end people that didn't raid would be left behind.

Any game mechanic that needs daily/weekly meetings for the players to remain competitive in, is not a game I want to be playing. So kudos to GW2 for completely dropping this un-fun mechanic.

agreeeed, and there is still insanely big events. like meta events that lead to a dragon fight with 400 people in a zone. sounds bad ass to me.
 
What IP'd really like to see done in GW2, and something that hasn't been done in along time is developer run events.

Arenanet actually has toyed with this a bit, but to do them like AC did , using story elements and updates to move dynamic things throughotu the world would really really add a lot to the dynamic feeling of the world.

A bit of old AC/UO typ eof things that used to happen when the actual developers would put things into the game to spice stuff up?

Like the undead attack on trisnic in UO, where players had to fight undead off from an actual main town in the game, not an "event" like in GW where it happens at set times, just a one time off thing.

Or how in AC they actually had story elements weaved throughout the monthly updates, it made the world feel alive and they weren't like GW2's events rather but specific story elements that progressed the storyline/game, which players had a hand in choosing which way events played out.

There's a certain disconnect in mmo's these days where once the game is shipped everything seems planned/set.

Gw2 events even feel this way a bit, by how you can do an event, come back, see the same event going over and over and over.

They need to have bigger events that happen just once and move on after that.
 
Or how in AC they actually had story elements weaved throughout the monthly updates, it made the world feel alive and they weren't like GW2's events rather but specific story elements that progressed the storyline/game, which players had a hand in choosing which way events played out.

There's a certain disconnect in mmo's these days where once the game is shipped everything seems planned/set.

YES!
 
Personally I think putting PVP in a predominantly PvE skill and boss(raids/instances) based game was always putting a square peg in a round hole, jerry-rigged so to speak. Not that it couldn't be fun but it was always a perversion of the existing pve skill sets and skill trees (i.e. taunts/aggro, among a ton of other class build losses..). Basically omitting many core abilities of different classes since they weren't easy to apply to pvp. I feel that considering mind control and the crazy amount of stuns and CC in some games, that taunting players to lose control and attack you (briefly) would not be any worse than mind control/stuns. Instead there are a ton of stuns everywhere (at least in WoW). Another thing I thought was lame in WoW was the pvp trinkets... another hack job to try to force square peg pvp in a pve system.
.
.. I'm glad GW2 seems to be more focused on PvP (or WvWvW as it may be), while still having some fun PvE stuff to do , especially for solo time killing where you can still jump in events with other people and log off whenever you feel like it.
.
..I still play rift and think it is a good pve mmo. I'll be playing both games, especially with the rift expansion. I love the necromancer in rift, and was very disappointed in GW2's necro in the tests. I'll prob play an elementalist in GW2 initially.
 
Last edited:
You can do this in TSW.

No you can't. The dodge in TSW does not cause invulnerability. There are also no physical projectiles in TSW so the homing bullets will hit you no matter what once you are targeted and the attack is made. The dodge in TSW only moves you out of range and out of AOE effects, it does not prevent you from being hit by targeted single attacks. In GW2 the dodge will cause the physical projectiles to miss you. GW2 projectiles will also be intercepted and hit another target if something runs between you and your target, this does not happen in TSW, as the targeted attacks are just locked to that target and not true projectiles in the game world.
 
I just got a nice email:

The Final Countdown—Guild Wars 2 Launch Times
August 28th, 2012—the day Guild Wars 2 launches—is fast approaching. Everyone here at ArenaNet is anxiously counting the days right along with every Guild Wars 2 fan. As you may have seen, we host a countdown timer on the front page of our official website.

The information below will give you specific details about times and dates based on whether you pre-purchased, pre-ordered, or are picking up a copy of the game on release day. For those players who have not pre-purchased or pre-ordered the game, Guild Wars 2 will officially launch at 0:00 AM Pacific time (GMT -7:00) on August 28th.

Pre-Purchase with 3-Day Headstart: Everyone who pre-purchased Guild Wars 2 will enjoy three full days of Headstart Access. The three-day Headstart Access will officially begin at 0:00 AM Pacific time (GMT -7:00) on August 25th. However, please note that in order to ensure we’re fully prepared for that fateful hour we may bring servers online up to 3 hours prior. If you’re a player committed to getting in first to grab that character name of your dreams you’ll want to be keeping an eye on things during that time period.
Pre-Order with 1-Day Headstart: Those who pre-ordered Guild Wars 2 will be able to participate in one day of Headstart Access. The one-day Headstart Access will begin at 0:00 AM Pacific time (GMT -7:00) on August 27th. NOTE - Pre-Order code registration is now enabled.


Download the Client today: If you’ve registered your pre-purchase or pre-order and created your Guild Wars 2 account you can go to account management today and download the client. Be sure to update the client periodically to minimize your download at launch. We look forward to seeing you in-game very soon!
 
I understand that you are upset that your game is failing, but please, enough with the "overhyped" talk. You aren't going to convince anyone to go from GW2 to TSW at this point.

I never said they should. However, the game A) isn't failing and has extremely high retention (see the investor's report), and B) GW2 is incredibly overhyped, too much for its own good. Please keep your own thoughts to yourself as far as trying to shove words in people's mouths that were never said.

No you can't. The dodge in TSW does not cause invulnerability. There are also no physical projectiles in TSW so the homing bullets will hit you no matter what once you are targeted and the attack is made. The dodge in TSW only moves you out of range and out of AOE effects, it does not prevent you from being hit by targeted single attacks. In GW2 the dodge will cause the physical projectiles to miss you. GW2 projectiles will also be intercepted and hit another target if something runs between you and your target, this does not happen in TSW, as the targeted attacks are just locked to that target and not true projectiles in the game world.

This is downright misinformation. Many attacks CAN be outright dodged in PVE by using the dodge button since you avoid their ground target as it's casting and locked into that spot, just like GW2. (You also can dodge enemy pbaoe by dodging right as they're hitting it, in PVP). It doesn't need invulnerability because you actually dodge it instead of just making yourself invulnerable. As far as projectiles hitting someone you're not even targetting with a direct attack, why would you want that as a feature? Sounds like it dumbs down the combat and makes it harder to actually control what you're doing.

I just am posting my thoughts about GW2 in a GW2 thread, and letting people know they ought to try the options before devoting tons of time to a game when they may or may not like something else more. I would have been quite disappointed if I hadn't tried TSW as well even though I was set on GW2 as "the best of what's there, I guess" in the MMO market. Thanks to the hype around GW2 I almost didn't, but I'm quite glad I did, because I happen to enjoy it far more.

It goes without saying (and shouldn't need to be said for you guys) that just as your posts are, it's opinion.

Regarding the whole "GW2 is free!" stuff, no, it's not... you have to pay $60 for the box, several bucks a pop for bank expansions or extra character slots, and they have mentioned expansions every 4-6 months which typically would run $40-50, so you're still paying to keep current with the game and not just fall behind by the wayside if you want to play.
 
Last edited:
Maybe this was overshadowed or answered before; in either case, is the client I used to play in the BWE and stress tests the same one I'll use for the main game? Is the giant 15GB .dat file really how they structured the game install?
 
Maybe this was overshadowed or answered before; in either case, is the client I used to play in the BWE and stress tests the same one I'll use for the main game? Is the giant 15GB .dat file really how they structured the game install?

I'm 99% sure you will be able to simply patch it to the main game, yes.
 
This is downright misinformation. Many attacks CAN be outright dodged in PVE by using the dodge button since you avoid their ground target as it's casting and locked into that spot, just like GW2. (You also can dodge enemy pbaoe by dodging right as they're hitting it, in PVP). It doesn't need invulnerability because you actually dodge it instead of just making yourself invulnerable. As far as projectiles hitting someone you're not even targetting with a direct attack, why would you want that as a feature? Sounds like it dumbs down the combat and makes it harder to actually control what you're doing.
.

This is not how it worked when they first implemented it in closed beta (which I was in). If they have changed it since then, so be it, but that wasn't the case in the past. Unless you mean that it avoids GTAoE, that's obvious if you get out of the way of the ground target area then you don't take damage. Are you saying it will also avoid a single attack aimed directly at you? It did not in the past, if it does now then they severely changed it.

Thre doesnt seem to be a lot of new info out there about dodge in TSW, but this thread:

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=46315

Doesn't indicate in any way that dodge will do more than getting you out of an AOE.

Also, projectiles behaving like real projectiles is a welcome feature imo. Sure, maybe it means you miss every now and then, but ill take it over retarded laser beam attacks which don't interact with the world no matter what happens. That mechanic is completely outdated and doesn't belong in a game release in 2012.

TSW would have been an infinitely better game if they hadn't scrapped the aimed combat system they were working with a couple years back and had in the closed beta at one point. Going back to a completely generic tab target system (and then tacking on active dodge in the last 2 weeks of beta, yes, that's when it was added, because I was on the closed beta forums when it was announced) really didn't do the game any favors. It's sad, I followed TSW for about 4 years and was on the forums over there that whole time. What launched was not nearly the same as what it could have been.
 
Last edited:
The problem is, if raids were actually optional, i.e. there was no game changing reward for doing them, then (almost) no one would do them, since they're such a pain. Conversely, if GW2 had raids, they'd have to make the reward for doing them good enough to do them, so in the end people that didn't raid would be left behind.

Any game mechanic that needs daily/weekly meetings for the players to remain competitive in, is not a game I want to be playing. So kudos to GW2 for completely dropping this un-fun mechanic.

I think you would be very surprised how many people will do them just for the challenge. Cant count how many times i have gone on an old raid just for fun without the possibility of a useful upgrade for anyone. Happens all the time in WoW, people hanging out in guild chat just decide to raid something old because it is fun.

They didnt drop an un fun mechanic they got lazy, plain and simple. They could have made raids for fun, they did 5 mans and hard modes for minor rewards.

They could have implemented raids, the games already anti gear treadmill so your scenario is not even possible to begin with.

This mentality that raiding = Evil is just a bunch of burn outs and people that could never make it in a good raid guild.
 
I think you could have raids that drop purely costmetic items, titles, emotes, something that has zero combat impact and people would do them for that.
 
I think you could have raids that drop purely costmetic items, titles, emotes, something that has zero combat impact and people would do them for that.

Honestly you could have raids that offer nothing but an achievement and people would still do them for the fun of it. People in this thread act like all raiding is hardcore psycho raiders and that's far from the truth. The most fun I ever had in mmos was raiding with fun people for the hell of it not caring about drops and just screwing around.
 
Honestly you could have raids that offer nothing but an achievement and people would still do them for the fun of it. People in this thread act like all raiding is hardcore psycho raiders and that's far from the truth. The most fun I ever had in mmos was raiding with fun people for the hell of it not caring about drops and just screwing around.

I think the statistics speak for themselves though. It's like 10% of WoW players who ever even raided. Maybe 1% who were very hardcore about it. Why design the game around that feature when so few people playing your game even see it? If you want hardcore raiding then GW2 is undoubtedly not for you.

Personally I found myself in WoW always saying to myself that i wished someone made a MMO where endgame was 5 man content. I hated the coordination and ime investment involved with raiding, I do't have the schedule anymore to be available 5 hours a night 4 nights a week or else I cant see the game. 5 mans being endgame means you dont need to schedule around having 25 people available, you can just get a group when you can, and see everything.
 
laaaame why did they do a stress test for such a short time -_- ARRRRG

and this update is 4800 files -_-
 
Back
Top