• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

The Official Guild Wars 2 thread

So I just played for the first time today. Sorta feel confused. I just seem to be running around to these world events and mashing a couple buttons and hoping im not the one getting hit.

So each weapon type only has a few attacks? Or do some much more advanced options open up in later levels?

Only a level 3 warrior atm.

lots of different weapon combinations though for instance

dagger main hand and dagger off hand
dagger main hand pistol off hand
pistol and pistol

some of these combinations have skills that you dont have unless you have this specific combination
 
I have figured out that the whole combo thing is a lot simpler than I thought. Some of your skills will say "Combo Finisher:". When either you or somebody else sets of an AOE (in a large circular area) or a wall (in a line), use a finisher skill within or intersecting the AOE or the wall and something beneficial will happen. Within or intersecting counts whether you're physically there or whether you shoot across it.

Interestingly, the combos also apply to what the enemy does. If a Thief or Engineer make a smoke AOE, enemies firing through the smoke will miss.
 
ive spent about 30$ so far. prolly wont spend any more for awhile. bought a bunch of bag slots and i converted a bunch of gems to gold

This is what I like, instead of a monthly fee I can buy gems and keep me crafting and what not for a bit.
 
This is what I like, instead of a monthly fee I can buy gems and keep me crafting and what not for a bit.

yeah you contribute money to get more content in the future and still get something in game to show for it. i like
 
After playing the crap out of d3 I'm now starting GW2, over the weekend got to level 14 with a Charr Ranger and have 2 other characters. So far the story the other classes is meh, Charr seems to be a little better; I dislike that story driven stuff requires you to do heart quests and world events to progress -- even then you have to warp to another "starter" zone to gain experience. I feel like the learning curve was quite steep; I'm not a big mmo player. Hard part now is converting the fiance over.
 
Be careful when using gems to buy things - you currently can't get a refund (per the EULA). If you buy something, but lag prevents you seeing you get it, and you end up buying 2 or 3 of the item, then you're stuck with those items.

Of course, if you are in the EU where EULA can't take away your rights, you have recourse. If you are in the US, then you are probably boned until the policy changes or someone sues.
 
Plenty of variety after 20. And you can dye your gear any colors you want. Stop complaining. There is no real item grind in this game per say, it's a cosmetic grind. You are not going to have the coolest looking stuff day 1. And you are using WoW as a comparison? Early level armor looked terrible in WoW.

Fanboy arguments always start with "Stop complaining" when criticism is given and ignore what is said in posts. I didn't say WoW had epic looking armor at low levels; I said that there was a greater variety of different looking armor.

timtheenchantor said:
I disagree. I've gotten at least 3-4 different "sets" of armor and I've only done one dungeon. I'm also level 65. Most map zones have heart vendors and those heart vendors sell one piece of that set. You can get a variety. Also, I disagree with you on the various games. I played WoW for 7 years and in all my time, I never got cool armor that low level. Actually I didn't even get shoulders until like late 20s. That was some balls. This was on my first characters, in Vanilla.

I answered the WoW/Rift/etc.side of the comment above. 3-4 "sets" of armor by 65. Hooray. There's more armor variety in single-player RPGs.

I find it funny that buying armor from vendors with "points" was frowned upon by many of the [H] crowd as too care bear and casual when WoW implemented it but it's now a cutting edge idea in GW2.
 
After playing the crap out of d3 I'm now starting GW2, over the weekend got to level 14 with a Charr Ranger and have 2 other characters. So far the story the other classes is meh, Charr seems to be a little better; I dislike that story driven stuff requires you to do heart quests and world events to progress -- even then you have to warp to another "starter" zone to gain experience. I feel like the learning curve was quite steep; I'm not a big mmo player. Hard part now is converting the fiance over.

the story gets way better after a certain point. you get to make decisions, choose between several paths and you act on the decisions you make. for example plan an ambush by gaining intel and setting a trap or attack head on etc
 
I answered the WoW/Rift/etc.side of the comment above. 3-4 "sets" of armor by 65. Hooray. There's more armor variety in single-player RPGs.

Those were the sets I liked. I'm sure I had pieces of more. With how linear the levels are in the game - 10 levels each set isn't too bad. I'm not sure why you want to argue about this...

I find it funny that buying armor from vendors with "points" was frowned upon by many of the [H] crowd as too care bear and casual when WoW implemented it but it's now a cutting edge idea in GW2.

Your generalizing opinion is a fallacy. I simply made a factual statement that the heart vendors sell pieces of armor that go together cosmetically. How can you misconstrue that as making an opinion for me? It's almost like, you want to put words in my mouth by suggesting that this is what I am saying: "I totally like how the heart vendors sell these items! It's so bleeding edge! Warcraft did nothing like this!"

.....except, I did nothing of the sort.
 
Fanboy arguments always start with "Stop complaining" when criticism is given and ignore what is said in posts. I didn't say WoW had epic looking armor at low levels; I said that there was a greater variety of different looking armor.

Early WoW had how many distinct sets per type in the first month? Maybe 2 or 3? How many of those unique sets were low level? I just remember a whole lot of crappy looking armor for MANY levels in WoW. That's a terrible comparison. There is a ton of variety in armor at low levels in GW2. Just look at the AH for a sampling. Every 5-10 levels is a new type of dropped armor that looks different than the previous, not to mention unique sets from heart vendors on per zone basis on top of PvP/WvW gear and additionally, cultural, karma and dungeon vendors. Don't forget crafted stuff too.

You couldn't even dye your items in WoW, while GW2 has the most robust dye system of pretty much any game ever.
 
Last edited:
Your generalizing opinion is a fallacy. I simply made a factual statement that the heart vendors sell pieces of armor that go together cosmetically. How can you misconstrue that as making an opinion for me? It's almost like, you want to put words in my mouth by suggesting that this is what I am saying: "I totally like how the heart vendors sell these items! It's so bleeding edge! Warcraft did nothing like this!"

.....except, I did nothing of the sort.

I wasn't trying to put words into your mouth. It's been mentioned many times in the thread and it was more a general comment than one aimed at you. Purely unintentional. :)
 
I wasn't trying to put words into your mouth. It's been mentioned many times in the thread and it was more a general comment than one aimed at you. Purely unintentional. :)

i am with you on some of the items there are like generic filler weapons. like a strong dagger can drop from level 1-80 it just has better stats etc.


at level 40 though my armor looks considerably cooler
 
i am with you on some of the items there are like generic filler weapons. like a strong dagger can drop from level 1-80 it just has better stats etc.


at level 40 though my armor looks considerably cooler

You're the coolest guy I know. :eek:
 
Early WoW had how many distinct sets per type in the first month? Maybe 2 or 3? How many of those unique sets were low level? I just remember a whole lot of crappy looking armor for MANY levels in WoW. That's a terrible comparison. There is a ton of variety in armor at low levels in GW2. Just look at the AH for a sampling. Every 5-10 levels is a new type of dropped armor that looks different than the previous, not to mention unique sets from heart vendors on per zone basis on top of PvP/WvW gear and additionally, cultural, karma and dungeon vendors. Don't forget crafted stuff too.

You couldn't even dye your items in WoW, while GW2 has the most robust dye system of pretty much any game ever.

I'd like to know where this variety is. From lv 1-30 I had generic "chain" armor that dropped in pretty much every zone I was in , from Caledon, to Genderran, etc.

There are different types that drop dependent on regions/races, but those are very generic and can go all the way up in lv's, just better stats.

As far as dungeon stuff goes, they changed it now, to get the dungeon gear it's a LONG grind (60+ runs of the SAME dungeon) to get the tokens for said armor.

As far as Wvwvw goes, the karma merchants there, guess what they sell ? (at least for me). I'm lv 41, and they sell .......you guessed it, MORE CHAINMAIL.

Throughout the entire game all the drops I get that I can use have been chain/scale armor and variants of them with better stats. The only different armor I found were a few "seraph" based armor (which I bought) that was in the 20's in one of the heart vendors.

As fa as "drops" go, Gw2 has soem of the most generic drops in an mmo imo.

It seems that all the "Variety" in armor/weapons is restricted to cutural vendors and lv 80 exotic stuff.

The dye system is nice and one of the best of any mmo but I'm just not seeing this "huge variety" as you are.

If you owant the best gear at lv 80 you need to save your karma points as they can cost 40k a piece.

Best way to get karma is wvwvw (capturing keeps and things can net you 600+ karma points).


Maybe you know more then I do about this, but at lv 40 I'd really like to see more variety in armor/weapons then what I have. All I know of to do this is lv 40 cultura vendors (tier 1) but doing this will hurt you as far as lv 80 armor goes.

It just seems to me, from what I've read/seen in game, that they have made the majority of variety lv 80, that it's their "end game" to have you grind grind grind for variety and gear, which goes against what they wanted the game to be about.

I mean honestly, dungeon armor sets, do you think having to do a dungeon SIXTY+ times is fun? cause that's a hell of a grind for something costmetic, let alone compared to even other mmo's build on a grind.
 
I just hit level 17 on my thief. So far I've found 6 different chest pieces that all look vastly different. I found a leather jerkin, made a leather vest, wearing a leather jacket now, found a studded leather vest, a studded leather jacket, and there was another leather vest but while similar, it was different since it looked like it was made from an animal hide.

I seriously think a lot of you guys are just bitching for the sake of bitching about something. Before you know it someone is going to take a screen shot of a snowflake then bitch that it doesn't really look like a snowflake they made out of paper in pre-school.
 
For my necro I have found alot of different looking armors.

Also, collect and save the peices you think look good together, because there is a Transmutation Stone you can loot from black lion chests that let you change the appearance of one item to another.

My plan is to get the best lvl 80 gear (stats wise, its cheap) and then use the transmutation stone on the lvl 80 gear to make it look better. Therefor I wont need to grind 40k karma just for cosmetic items. :)
 
I'd like to know where this variety is. From lv 1-30 I had generic "chain" armor that dropped in pretty much every zone I was in , from Caledon, to Genderran, etc.

There are different types that drop dependent on regions/races, but those are very generic and can go all the way up in lv's, just better stats.

As far as dungeon stuff goes, they changed it now, to get the dungeon gear it's a LONG grind (60+ runs of the SAME dungeon) to get the tokens for said armor.

As far as Wvwvw goes, the karma merchants there, guess what they sell ? (at least for me). I'm lv 41, and they sell .......you guessed it, MORE CHAINMAIL.

Throughout the entire game all the drops I get that I can use have been chain/scale armor and variants of them with better stats. The only different armor I found were a few "seraph" based armor (which I bought) that was in the 20's in one of the heart vendors.

As fa as "drops" go, Gw2 has soem of the most generic drops in an mmo imo.

It seems that all the "Variety" in armor/weapons is restricted to cutural vendors and lv 80 exotic stuff.

The dye system is nice and one of the best of any mmo but I'm just not seeing this "huge variety" as you are.

If you owant the best gear at lv 80 you need to save your karma points as they can cost 40k a piece.

Best way to get karma is wvwvw (capturing keeps and things can net you 600+ karma points).


Maybe you know more then I do about this, but at lv 40 I'd really like to see more variety in armor/weapons then what I have. All I know of to do this is lv 40 cultura vendors (tier 1) but doing this will hurt you as far as lv 80 armor goes.

It just seems to me, from what I've read/seen in game, that they have made the majority of variety lv 80, that it's their "end game" to have you grind grind grind for variety and gear, which goes against what they wanted the game to be about.

I mean honestly, dungeon armor sets, do you think having to do a dungeon SIXTY+ times is fun? cause that's a hell of a grind for something costmetic, let alone compared to even other mmo's build on a grind.

Here is the Kessex Hills karma vendor set. It's not chainmail. You can get it before you are 30.

edit -- here is a link to crafted armor

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/1305/craftedarmors.jpg

uQzW1.jpg
 
Yes, that'st he seraph aromr I mentioned (at least the chest part looks exactly the same if it isn't).

It's lv 20'ish gear, I am lv 41 and the best dropping gear for me is still chain or scale, it has far better stats then kessex.

The karma vendor in wvwvw, where it sells masterwork, etc for karma points, sells chain for me.

As far as "Drops" go , it's quite generic stuff from what I've came across, maybe I just have terrible luck.

Another problem with heart vendors is that it seems zones are dependent on what +stats an item has.

I am a Power/precision geared warrior, that's what I've built my character around. I don't really have a use for +healing+condition items, and the past few zones (Genderran, fields of ruin, etc) have not offered a single + precision gear piece at all.
 
Yes, that'st he seraph aromr I mentioned (at least the chest part looks exactly the same if it isn't).

It's lv 20'ish gear, I am lv 41 and the best dropping gear for me is still chain or scale, it has far better stats then kessex.

The karma vendor in wvwvw, where it sells masterwork, etc for karma points, sells chain for me.

As far as "Drops" go , it's quite generic stuff from what I've came across, maybe I just have terrible luck.

Another problem with heart vendors is that it seems zones are dependent on what +stats an item has.

I am a Power/precision geared warrior, that's what I've built my character around. I don't really have a use for +healing+condition items, and the past few zones (Genderran, fields of ruin, etc) have not offered a single + precision gear piece at all.


befriend a armorsmith and provide mats.

i have no armor that is below mastercraft quality and that is from just leveling my crafting
 
Yes, that'st he seraph aromr I mentioned (at least the chest part looks exactly the same if it isn't).

It's lv 20'ish gear, I am lv 41 and the best dropping gear for me is still chain or scale, it has far better stats then kessex.

The karma vendor in wvwvw, where it sells masterwork, etc for karma points, sells chain for me.

As far as "Drops" go , it's quite generic stuff from what I've came across, maybe I just have terrible luck.

Another problem with heart vendors is that it seems zones are dependent on what +stats an item has.

I am a Power/precision geared warrior, that's what I've built my character around. I don't really have a use for +healing+condition items, and the past few zones (Genderran, fields of ruin, etc) have not offered a single + precision gear piece at all.

You've heard of transmutation stones, right?
 
Yes, that'st he seraph aromr I mentioned (at least the chest part looks exactly the same if it isn't).

It's lv 20'ish gear, I am lv 41 and the best dropping gear for me is still chain or scale, it has far better stats then kessex.

The karma vendor in wvwvw, where it sells masterwork, etc for karma points, sells chain for me.

As far as "Drops" go , it's quite generic stuff from what I've came across, maybe I just have terrible luck.

Another problem with heart vendors is that it seems zones are dependent on what +stats an item has.

I am a Power/precision geared warrior, that's what I've built my character around. I don't really have a use for +healing+condition items, and the past few zones (Genderran, fields of ruin, etc) have not offered a single + precision gear piece at all.

You are getting too caught up in something that doesnt matter anyways.

You outlevel your gear so fast in this game there is no need to waste time/energy finding the exact right gear that fits your needs. Just equip whatever you can find that is marginally better than you have. The time you spend worrying about your gear and trying to find the exact gear to fit your needs you could have leveled 2 or 3 times already, I know because I tried it at around lvl 30, it isnt worth it.

For armor, the only thing you need to worry about is the defense, fuck all the other stats, they wont make a difference.

When you get to lvl 80, THEN you should focus on your gear.
 
You are getting too caught up in something that doesnt matter anyways.

You outlevel your gear so fast in this game there is no need to waste time/energy finding the exact right gear that fits your needs. Just equip whatever you can find that is marginally better than you have. The time you spend worrying about your gear and trying to find the exact gear to fit your needs you could have leveled 2 or 3 times already, I know because I tried it at around lvl 30, it isnt worth it.

For armor, the only thing you need to worry about is the defense, fuck all the other stats, they wont make a difference.

When you get to lvl 80, THEN you should focus on your gear.


whattt?? that is terrible advice toughness and vitality thief ftl
 
whattt?? that is terrible advice toughness and vitality thief ftl

no, this is perfect advise.

Do you really think you are going to be much more effective at killing NPC mobs with +Precision gear than you would with +Vitality gear?

The answer is no, the PVE in this game is so easy its ridiculous.

I am lvl 75 and yesterday I was bored so I switched to some lvl ~30 gear because it looked better and did a few hearts/events around fort trinity. (lvl 70+ zone)

Hardly made a difference.


Spend the time and money finding good looking, exact level and stat appropriate gear. Out level it in a day.

Exactly my point.
 
no, this is perfect advise.

Do you really think you are going to be much more effective at killing NPC mobs with +Precision gear than you would with +Vitality gear?

The answer is no, the PVE in this game is so easy its ridiculous.

I am lvl 75 and yesterday I was bored so I switched to some lvl ~30 gear because it looked better and did a few hearts/events around fort trinity. (lvl 70+ zone)

Hardly made a difference.




Exactly my point.

i craft as i level, so its not hard for me to have stat/level appropriate gear. i have a lvl 45 set waiting for me in my bank with all of the necessary stats etc.


maybe the difference isnt that big of a deal, but man it doesnt take much effort to get it
 
no, this is perfect advise.

Do you really think you are going to be much more effective at killing NPC mobs with +Precision gear than you would with +Vitality gear?

The answer is no, the PVE in this game is so easy its ridiculous.

I am lvl 75 and yesterday I was bored so I switched to some lvl ~30 gear because it looked better and did a few hearts/events around fort trinity. (lvl 70+ zone)

Hardly made a difference.




Exactly my point.

I don't know what class you play, but using Power/Precision gear of the correct level made a huge difference on my Mesmer.

I've probably died 200 times in PVE already, mostly from super quick respawns and assholes pulling a mob train into my area and having it aggro on me.
 
i craft as i level, so its not hard for me to have stat/level appropriate gear. i have a lvl 45 set waiting for me in my bank with all of the necessary stats etc.


maybe the difference isnt that big of a deal, but man it doesnt take much effort to get it

OK well that's different. Since you have the ability to make what you need.

I was talking about wandering around and going to all the karma vendors/merchants trying to find exactly what you need.
 
I don't know what class you play, but using Power/Precision gear of the correct level made a huge difference on my Mesmer.

I've probably died 200 times in PVE already, mostly from super quick respawns and assholes pulling a mob train into my area and having it aggro on me.


i felt like it made a big difference myself. i crit for like 1700.. my friends are hitting for nothing above 700
 
I should also point out that I've been getting killed much less frequently now that I can kill stuff faster :p
 
lets let these kids try to win with +1000 vitality we will be pro with our 90% crit :D

fuck yeah, have fun critting NPC mobs.

Makes no difference in PVE.

Also, later in the game its about AOE. So have fun again critting single target mobs while some Ele or Warrior is the one racking up all the kills.
 
fuck yeah, have fun critting NPC mobs.

Makes no difference in PVE.

Also, later in the game its about AOE. So have fun again critting single target mobs while some Ele or Warrior is the one racking up all the kills.

So you better approach is to ssslllooowwwlllyyy kill evetything? Sounds exciting.
 
So you better approach is to ssslllooowwwlllyyy kill evetything? Sounds exciting.

No, thats not what I am saying.

What I am saying is that while you retards are wasting time/energy looking for +Precision/Power weapons you could be leveling.

Then by the time you actually find all the best gear for your level you will outlevel it again in 1 or 2 hours. I just went from 72-75 in less than an hour.

Dont worry about gear until lvl 80 when it actually makes a difference and you wont need to worry about outleveling it.
 
No, thats not what I am saying.

What I am saying is that while you retards are wasting time/energy looking for +Precision/Power weapons you could be leveling.

Then by the time you actually find all the best gear for your level you will outlevel it again in 1 or 2 hours. I just went from 72-75 in less than an hour.

Dont worry about gear until lvl 80 when it actually makes a difference and you wont need to worry about outleveling it.

no need for name callin dude
 
No, thats not what I am saying.

What I am saying is that while you retards are wasting time/energy looking for +Precision/Power weapons you could be leveling.

Then by the time you actually find all the best gear for your level you will outlevel it again in 1 or 2 hours. I just went from 72-75 in less than an hour.

Dont worry about gear until lvl 80 when it actually makes a difference and you wont need to worry about outleveling it.

Took me about 4 minutes on the Trading Post to replace everything with Strengh/Precision gear.
 
Took me about 4 minutes on the Trading Post to replace everything with Strengh/Precision gear.

This definitely makes a difference, but like the others are saying there's little point in min/maxing your gear to the extent of wasting an excessive amount of time finding it without being even remotely close to max level. That said, if you have the coin then you can get swell gear and look pretty swanky too in not long at all.

http://i.imgur.com/uu53H.jpg
 
Took me about 4 minutes on the Trading Post to replace everything with Strengh/Precision gear.

I was talking about Karma Vendors/Merchants, since the trading post only works like 10% of the time.

If you have access to the trading post then of course do it. But dont waste time running around to karma vendors/merchants just to look for specific gear.
 
Back
Top