• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

The Official Guild Wars 2 thread

I am just finishing up Gendarren Hills. Maybe I should have done Kessex first however the game is terrible at telling people where to go next.

And i am not rushing, or i would be higher than level 30 right now :p

People have been complaining that too many modern MMOs are too linear and tell you where to go. WoW Cata is a prime example. It takes all the exploration out which a lot of players enjoy. (Hell some even say GW2 is too linear, but seems way more open than other games.)

If you want to know where to go, look at your map, find paths leading to unexplored areas, and walk through it and see where it leads. This is done by design, that is why you get XP for exploring.
 
People have been complaining that too many modern MMOs are too linear and tell you where to go. WoW Cata is a prime example. It takes all the exploration out which a lot of players enjoy. (Hell some even say GW2 is too linear, but seems way more open than other games.)

If you want to know where to go, look at your map, find paths leading to unexplored areas, and walk through it and see where it leads. This is done by design, that is why you get XP for exploring.

yeah exactly. i mean they really want you to explore.. they dont tell you where to go for your quests. you just gotta look around find things.

honestly i think finding challenging viewpoints has been the most rewarding... i found one it was insane it like went over a building then through the attic by walking over some beams. it was awesome.
 
the level scaling is so brilliant. and i like that you are a set level when you do the dungeons it makes them tough :D

most of my friends have more time then me so they are always above me in levels

What you guys been up to the past few days? Haven't been on...

I got to level 13 though :cool:
 
Cooking will get you 60-70 in 2 hours going from 0-400.

Does the xp value vary on lvls? Like if you're lvl 30 will you gain 20 lvls since to lvl up the xp isn't as big from 60-70? So the XP scales with your lvl, correct?

Also I'm doing all race city and starter areas too, want that 100% completion!
 
Last edited:
I've noticed one thing:

People who played a ton of WoW - have a lot of gameplay issues with this game. :p

One thing I keep saying is: Explore! Don't try and look for the game to give you a straight-forward answer to what you are wondering about.
 
Does the xp value vary on lvls? Like if you're lvl 30 will you gain 20 lvls since to lvl up the xp isn't as big from 60-70? So the XP scales with your lvl, correct?


This would be the opposite of scaling. If you're level 1, it will take you to level 11 and if you're 60 it will take you to 70. That is scaling.
 
the level scaling is so brilliant. and i like that you are a set level when you do the dungeons it makes them tough :D

most of my friends have more time then me so they are always above me in levels

Yeah I thought the downscaling was a good idea for grouping but if you're soloing I feel like it should be something you can toggle. I mean in games like this the point is to become a powerful char right? Well sure the first time I run that dungeon its cool to be at a difficulty the game was design for but later I just want to feel like a powerful badass. AFAIK this isn't possible, correct?
 
Yeah I thought the downscaling was a good idea for grouping but if you're soloing I feel like it should be something you can toggle. I mean in games like this the point is to become a powerful char right? Well sure the first time I run that dungeon its cool to be at a difficulty the game was design for but later I just want to feel like a powerful badass. AFAIK this isn't possible, correct?

the point is to not roflchopperstomp the game just because you have a higher level. honestly your power as you level still has an effect on your character when you get downscaled.. i was doing level 15-25 zones on my lvl 36 and i was destroying shit.
 
the point is to not roflchopperstomp the game just because you have a higher level. honestly your power as you level still has an effect on your character when you get downscaled.. i was doing level 15-25 zones on my lvl 36 and i was destroying shit.

Well that should be my choice right? I totally understand it for grouping, for multiple reasons. You don't want higher level chars powerleveling low lvl chars. You don't want some overpowered guy in your group taking all the fun out of battles and so on.

But when playing solo, I would just rather have zero scaling, on the world or my char however you want to look at it. At least make it an option or something is all I'm saying.
 
Well that should be my choice right? I totally understand it for grouping, for multiple reasons. You don't want higher level chars powerleveling low lvl chars. You don't want some overpowered guy in your group taking all the fun out of battles and so on.

But when playing solo, I would just rather have zero scaling, on the world or my char however you want to look at it. At least make it an option or something is all I'm saying.

I get what you mean. idk their reasoning for it tbh
 
Well that should be my choice right? I totally understand it for grouping, for multiple reasons. You don't want higher level chars powerleveling low lvl chars. You don't want some overpowered guy in your group taking all the fun out of battles and so on.

But when playing solo, I would just rather have zero scaling, on the world or my char however you want to look at it. At least make it an option or something is all I'm saying.

How would they implement this? Especially with the way they have done the event system and the fact that anyone passing can join in at any time. There is no real solo play in GW2.

It's designed to make most areas a challenge no matter what level you are at. But of course with good gear and traits etc, you are going to be really strong in lower level areas.

I imagine it would be really difficult thing to do make it an option for you to solo play if you wanted.
 
I get what you mean. idk their reasoning for it tbh

I imagine their reasoning is that it would be really hard to do with the way they have designed the game. Plus it goes against everything that GW2 is about.
 
GW2 does not like Firewalls, I can't just click the game icon, and get going, I have to disable everything to get it do launch. Any work around ?

Quoting GW2 support page: "Guild Wars 2 requires TCP ports 80, 443, 6112 and port 6600 be fully unrestricted and accessible, both inbound and outbound."
 
I get what you mean. idk their reasoning for it tbh

Because they don't want you going to the low zones and killing the bosses in one hit and messing up the game for other players. Rift already showed what a problem that was. I'm glad Anet did it this way.
 
Because they don't want you going to the low zones and killing the bosses in one hit and messing up the game for other players. Rift already showed what a problem that was. I'm glad Anet did it this way.

Rift made a mockery of their dynamic events as everyone that rushed to 50 went back and camped the bosses in the low level zones for achievements and drops. I could literally see the boss spawn and couldn't get to it fast enough before it was already dead. I'd rather have Guild Wars 2 implementation than Rift's in that regard.

After really thinking about it, if Rift had a better graphics engine that didn't turn into a hazy slideshow I may have stuck with it. Off topic of course. :)
 
Honestly once you get good gear (70+ exotics) the lower level content is a joke. I was down leveled to 17 yesterday and my crit was 94%. Everything was just falling over.
 
Yeah i have the same problem. I gather everything, have two crafting professions, 100% zones, run to every live event, and I am currently only level 30 and finishing up a 25-35 zone.

Also the map/navigation sucks and the story mode stuff once roted me through level 31 mobs when i was level 24.

Level 80 now, Weaponsmith/Jewelcrafter, about half my levels were gained from crafting and gathering.

Jewelcrafter gives the most exp for the mats/cost, I think.
 
Level 80 now, Weaponsmith/Jewelcrafter, about half my levels were gained from crafting and gathering.

Jewelcrafter gives the most exp for the mats/cost, I think.

JW, how much gold do you have at 80? Just curious to see what kinda dough I'll have to drop on some AH gear when i hit 80 before I can afford the karma stuff
 
Level 80 now, Weaponsmith/Jewelcrafter, about half my levels were gained from crafting and gathering.

Jewelcrafter gives the most exp for the mats/cost, I think.

are you bored now that you are at the level cap?! *bites nails in anticipation*
 
are you bored now that you are at the level cap?! *bites nails in anticipation*

I'm not. Still exploring zones, doing some WvWvW, got a few more skill points to get to buy all the skills.
 
Honestly once you get good gear (70+ exotics) the lower level content is a joke. I was down leveled to 17 yesterday and my crit was 94%. Everything was just falling over.

Cool, well I guess that solves my little issue I had. Its just nice knowing that at some point you can strut your powerful char the way they should be able too, downscaling or not. I mean that is a huge fundametal goal that all of us have in games like this right? To eventually make your char a strong and powerful owns all type of badass lol.
 
Cool, well I guess that solves my little issue I had. Its just nice knowing that at some point you can strut your powerful char the way they should be able too, downscaling or not. I mean that is a huge fundametal goal that all of us have in games like this right? To eventually make your char a strong and powerful owns all type of badass lol.

and then you do pvp and your gear is on a level playing field LE SIGH :(
 
Overall impressions GW2, I like it, but for sure need more time with it, but to be honest, this game is not grabbing my attention like I thought it would, I am not burning with desire to play it like I was WoW and WarHammer back in the day. Even the quests in GW2 are a bit confusing to follow at first. Basically, like WTF am I supposed to be doing ?

You pretty much just wander around and will come upon stuff to do.

At release I started with a Human Engineer and was pretty 'meh' on it, so I created an Asuri Elementalist and it was better but still not awesome, switched to daggers and it was fun for a couple of levels but then it got pretty boring again; I didn't even login over the weekend. IMHO it just feels like a standard WoW-clone MMO (though less of a clone than most) that's gone 100% theme park. Try a few different race and class combinations and it may open up for you.

I'm probably burnt out on standard MMORPG gameplay; hopefully Planetside 2 or Firefall will be what I need.
 
You pretty much just wander around and will come upon stuff to do.

At release I started with a Human Engineer and was pretty 'meh' on it, so I created an Asuri Elementalist and it was better but still not awesome, switched to daggers and it was fun for a couple of levels but then it got pretty boring again; I didn't even login over the weekend. IMHO it just feels like a standard WoW-clone MMO (though less of a clone than most) that's gone 100% theme park. Try a few different race and class combinations and it may open up for you.

I'm probably burnt out on standard MMORPG gameplay; hopefully Planetside 2 or Firefall will be what I need.

have you been playing with friends? this game is very group oriented and group friendly. i have about 8 RL friends that get down with me and it makes it considerably more enjoyable when grouping together

especially when we do combos :)
 
have you been playing with friends? this game is very group oriented and group friendly. i have about 8 RL friends that get down with me and it makes it considerably more enjoyable when grouping together

especially when we do combos :)

:mad: Why no play with me!?
 
Yeah, we have our own guild but it hasn't really changed my view of my game versus playing solo. A couple of my friends have pretty well quit the game but a couple still love it.

Most of the time the game just doesn't feel very rewarding to me; most of the gear looks too similar, dynamic events are mostly just "kill this" or "click that" and feel like elementary school contests where everyone gets a participation ribbon, actual challenging events normally just require a zerg run from the graveyard, exploration was only fun for a little while since most of the environments are pretty uninspired and are normally full of mobs, weapons get boring fast since each of them only has 3-5 skills available to them, etc.

I understand that others are having fun and I hope they continue to. At no moment have I thought, "I can't wait to login to GW2" since I got it though. :(
 
I've noticed one thing:

People who played a ton of WoW - have a lot of gameplay issues with this game. :p

One thing I keep saying is: Explore! Don't try and look for the game to give you a straight-forward answer to what you are wondering about.

I played WoW and yes my comparison is to WoW. I also played TOR for a few months. TOR was painful to explore due to the fact that it took forever and the world was pretty static.

The problem exploring in this game is the fact that the map tells you where to go and there really isn't anything hidden about exploring.

Example I explored Un'goro in WoW before Thottbot etc and boom I discovered this whole quest line that was a play on the Link/Zelda games.
 
The main problem imo is gear.

It seems that pretty much ALL of the cool gear is end game.

Even WoW and other games have "cool" gear for lower lv's and rarer things. Hoewver lv 1-40 you are going to be stuck wearing VERY generic very "Bland" looking gear and using bland weapons.

They really need to make unique items for lower levels and such.

Then they did something REALLY REALLY st upid, dungeon items (which is where you usually start to get cool gear) they DRASTICALLY upped the prices on them, to the point you'd have to run a dungeon over SIXTY times to get the full armor set, which is absurd.

ON top of this, the "order" armor (from the order you join at lv 30'isih in your personal storyline) they DRAMATICALLY increased as well, it cost a lot more now then it did.

So basically, until you hit high lv's/lots of money coming in you are wearing crap you find or vendor shit, which isn't usually anywhere near as appealing/good.

Mystic forge is a huge gamble and for me it has NEVER once paid off. I have probably dumped in over 16 greens, 20'ish blues, and not got a SINGLE good piece that I could use myself, it's 90% crap that your class won't use, I always get shortbows/light armor and I'm a warrior so it's useless.

I think you'd be much better off just ignoring mystic forge <lv 80 and vendoring/trade housing all of your items.

Never gonna drop any greens or shit in the mystic forge again, learned my lesson.
 
The main problem imo is gear.

It seems that pretty much ALL of the cool gear is end game.

Even WoW and other games have "cool" gear for lower lv's and rarer things. Hoewver lv 1-40 you are going to be stuck wearing VERY generic very "Bland" looking gear and using bland weapons.

They really need to make unique items for lower levels and such.

Then they did something REALLY REALLY st upid, dungeon items (which is where you usually start to get cool gear) they DRASTICALLY upped the prices on them, to the point you'd have to run a dungeon over SIXTY times to get the full armor set, which is absurd.

ON top of this, the "order" armor (from the order you join at lv 30'isih in your personal storyline) they DRAMATICALLY increased as well, it cost a lot more now then it did.

So basically, until you hit high lv's/lots of money coming in you are wearing crap you find or vendor shit, which isn't usually anywhere near as appealing/good.

Mystic forge is a huge gamble and for me it has NEVER once paid off. I have probably dumped in over 16 greens, 20'ish blues, and not got a SINGLE good piece that I could use myself, it's 90% crap that your class won't use, I always get shortbows/light armor and I'm a warrior so it's useless.

I think you'd be much better off just ignoring mystic forge <lv 80 and vendoring/trade housing all of your items.

Never gonna drop any greens or shit in the mystic forge again, learned my lesson.

agreed on a lot of the things although my character is absolutely DECKED. i have 1000 power and 42% crit at lvl 36. really its all about professions and playing with friends who have other professions. I have a cook friend, a jewelcrafter, a weapon smith and im a leatherworker. all of my armor ive made and its the best i can possibly wear pretty much. i made a chest at level 30 that had 20 power 14 precision. i have friends making me jewelry and i make them bags. shit like that.

again it comes down to playing with a community. this is an mmo after all. :)


i do agree that you do not look even remotely cool until late 20's maybe even 30's+
 
are you bored now that you are at the level cap?! *bites nails in anticipation*

No.

There's still a lot I want to do.


To answer the other question,

I am poor as hell at 80. I know some are more successfull at making money, I usually hover around 2 gold.

Most exotic items at 80, right now, are going for 2.5g.
 
No.

There's still a lot I want to do.


To answer the other question,

I am poor as hell at 80. I know some are more successfull at making money, I usually hover around 2 gold.

Most exotic items at 80, right now, are going for 2.5g.

10 $ right now nets you 2g. hahah

i did it i aint gonna lie
 
Only 42%? LOL. 70% here, 90% if I activate my elite skill. :D

what level you be and class son!?!!?!

btw i stack power over precision PUNK :< !!!

i get an extra 7% when attacking the side or back
 
agreed on a lot of the things although my character is absolutely DECKED. i have 1000 power and 42% crit at lvl 36. really its all about professions and playing with friends who have other professions. I have a cook friend, a jewelcrafter, a weapon smith and im a leatherworker. all of my armor ive made and its the best i can possibly wear pretty much. i made a chest at level 30 that had 20 power 14 precision. i have friends making me jewelry and i make them bags. shit like that.

again it comes down to playing with a community. this is an mmo after all. :)


i do agree that you do not look even remotely cool until late 20's maybe even 30's+


I'm in the guild with you lol! You sent me that axe a few days ago remember? (at least I think that was you, Phlorge? you're on my buddy list but I don't see you in guild roster anymore, did you leave?)

I've been trying to up my crafting, I am sooooo low on copper ore though, and that stuff sells for a lot on the AH , I've been trying to ask if anyone in the guild had some extra they'd sell me for a little cheaper but no one has any it seems.


I'm level 38 right now, almost all of my armor is still lv 25-30'ish. Mainly because in EVERY zone I've been in recently (Genderran, planes or ruin , etc) all of the heart vendors I swear have ZERO +precision items, it's been all + healing/condition stuff.

I did 100% map on both and not a single vendor sold a single +precision item, so I didn't find anything good to upgrade to.

I have 1g and some silver in my bank and most of the decent armor for my lv is running about 50silver a piece (at least from what I could find on there). So I could buy maybe 2 armor pieces then be broke, but at lv 40 I need 1g to buy the next training manual so there's that.
 
I'm in the guild with you lol! You sent me that axe a few days ago remember? (at least I think that was you, Phlorge? you're on my buddy list but I don't see you in guild roster anymore, did you leave?)

I've been trying to up my crafting, I am sooooo low on copper ore though, and that stuff sells for a lot on the AH , I've been trying to ask if anyone in the guild had some extra they'd sell me for a little cheaper but no one has any it seems.


I'm level 38 right now, almost all of my armor is still lv 25-30'ish. Mainly because in EVERY zone I've been in recently (Genderran, planes or ruin , etc) all of the heart vendors I swear have ZERO +precision items, it's been all + healing/condition stuff.

I did 100% map on both and not a single vendor sold a single +precision item, so I didn't find anything good to upgrade to.

I have 1g and some silver in my bank and most of the decent armor for my lv is running about 50silver a piece (at least from what I could find on there). So I could buy maybe 2 armor pieces then be broke, but at lv 40 I need 1g to buy the next training manual so there's that.

naw im still in the guild.. im the one paying for vent :p

yeah im Phlorge. PM me when I am on if you need anything from leatherworking i can hook you up.. it helps if you have leather though.. im almost at lvl 125 LW and then i can make pretty much any insignia you want in order to make gear with the stats you are looking for specifically.
 
I have 1g and some silver in my bank and most of the decent armor for my lv is running about 50silver a piece (at least from what I could find on there). So I could buy maybe 2 armor pieces then be broke, but at lv 40 I need 1g to buy the next training manual so there's that.

The Trading Post is your friend and has been up all day for me so far. Less than 1s an upgrade, green minimum, well past 40.
 
Back
Top