• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

The Official Guild Wars 2 thread

The answer is no, the PVE in this game is so easy its ridiculous.

Uh...maybe the regular open world stuff is, but there's some crazy difficult dynamic event bosses, I hear the dungeons are hard, and some of the personal story stuff is WAY overtuned for solo players. It depends an awful lot on what class you're playing too.
 
As far as the looks of leveling gear, I raise two points:

A) Transmutation stones. You get some quite frequently as rewards for 100% completion of zones (including cities).

B) The dye system at least ensures that your leveling gear matches (as long as you take a few seconds to customize it). I think a lot of people are forgetting just how terrible their leveling characters looked in WoW. It always ended up being a hodge podge of mismatched gear.
 
Uh...maybe the regular open world stuff is, but there's some crazy difficult dynamic event bosses, I hear the dungeons are hard, and some of the personal story stuff is WAY overtuned for solo players. It depends an awful lot on what class you're playing too.

AC is hard then the one at 40. the one at 40 is a joke. it gives 20k exp when you finish too.. we are gonna hit 50 today just running that
 
What dungeon is this? I haven't seen mention of any dungeon since I got to AC at 30 and i'm 45 now...

really? they said you a mail when you hit 40

Caudecus's Manor CM 40 Queensdale Shire of Beetletun Krytan mansion located in Beetletun, home of the powerful and wise Minister Caudecus. Not many visitors are allowed, but the sights within are great indeed.



^^


try it.. took us like 20 minutes maybe less to clear
 
Uh...maybe the regular open world stuff is, but there's some crazy difficult dynamic event bosses, I hear the dungeons are hard, and some of the personal story stuff is WAY overtuned for solo players. It depends an awful lot on what class you're playing too.

There's one quest in the Norn storyline that is pretty brutal. It was around level 19 or so I believe. It required you to fight like 10 or so ranged mobs at once (several waves of this). Your NPCs all die in like 10 seconds due to them standing in AoE. I found it basically impossible to do with a melee weapon. After breaking all my gear, I switched to a rifle and stood as far away as possible, so I could pull the mobs one by one. That damn quest needs some tuning pretty badly.
 
I don't remember that one on my norn warrior but I'm pretty sure the choices you make at character creation dictate what personal story quests you'll do. I got stuck on the level 22 one where I'm in a cave and a dredge mining suit that summons adds and has veteran level health comes out. I completed that by sheer luck...got stuck in the dredge digging equipment so I couldn't get attacked during that phase of it, and I was able to destroy it and start the mining suit fight 100% fresh. I ended the fight in downed state throwing rocks at the mining suit.
 
I don't know what class you play, but using Power/Precision gear of the correct level made a huge difference on my Mesmer.

I've probably died 200 times in PVE already, mostly from super quick respawns and assholes pulling a mob train into my area and having it aggro on me.

What weapon combo do you recommend as a Mesmer?
 
What weapon combo do you recommend as a Mesmer?

Staff primary, Scepter/Pistol secondary. Main Hand sword is fun, but tough to survive. Staff is likely the best overall way to play Mesmer. The thing about Mesmer is that you have to get used to using clones and phantasms, that's where your damage and survivability is.
 
I don't remember that one on my norn warrior but I'm pretty sure the choices you make at character creation dictate what personal story quests you'll do. I got stuck on the level 22 one where I'm in a cave and a dredge mining suit that summons adds and has veteran level health comes out. I completed that by sheer luck...got stuck in the dredge digging equipment so I couldn't get attacked during that phase of it, and I was able to destroy it and start the mining suit fight 100% fresh. I ended the fight in downed state throwing rocks at the mining suit.

I should have mentioned that I picked the lost family heirloom option when I created my warrior. The quest I'm talking about definitely had to do with that since a guy used the heirloom to summon all the mobs I'm referring to lol.
 
I have seen it observed that the 1-30 game is quite a bit different from the later game. The Thief, Ranger and Warrior have it easiest in the beginning, while the Necromancer and Mesmer have it most difficult. This evens out after 30 as both you and the mobs get more traits.

If you're 30 or under, don't worry about what weapon to specialize in yet. Just keep the best ones you get of each kind you can use, and start experimenting later. Some weapons may seem ineffective to the point of being useless at lower levels, but traits change everything.
 
What weapon combo do you recommend as a Mesmer?

Staff and Sword/Torch.

Staff gives you the debuffs, clones that add more debuffs, and phantasms that can hit for massive damage (based on the number of debuffs a mob has). Plus you get a good ground targeted AOE and a shield that inflicts even more debuffs.

For normal mobs, have the #1 attack on auto cast, then immediately drop a clone (#2) and get out a phantasm warlock (#3). If mobs get close, use #4 for a shield, otherwise drop the AOE (#5) on yourself, the clones, and the mob. The AOE buffs your clones and debuffs the mob. The phantasm warlock will be dropping nukes, while the other debuffs eat through the mobs HP. Pop the clones (F1) when the mob is low on HP.

For group bosses and such, just get out 3 phantasm warlocks and use the staff AOE every time you can. At level 30 I could get out 3 phantasm warlocks that were all getting hits for 1000+ damage a shot. Many of the event bosses don't have ranged AOE so you can just sit there with your 3 phantasm warlocks nuking.

The Sword/Torch is a bit tricky. The normal sword strikes do AOE damage, #2 makes you invulnerable while doing fast AOE damage, the #3 ability works as a teleport for closing distance.

The torch's main purpose is a "GTFO" card that can make you invis for 3 seconds and drops aggro. The other ability grants you retaliation to return incoming damage.

With some decent timing, you can use the staff AOE on a group of mobs, then switch to the sword/torch to unleash the #2 AOE while you are invulnerable. Once that ability goes down, pop retaliation from the torch (and keep in mind the normal sword attack is still doing AOE damage while you are doing additional damage from retaliation. Then if that goes bad, use the invis to escape.
 
Last edited:
If you're 30 or under, don't worry about what weapon to specialize in yet. Just keep the best ones you get of each kind you can use, and start experimenting later. Some weapons may seem ineffective to the point of being useless at lower levels, but traits change everything.

Agreed. I recently rerolled an Elementalist (after getting Warrior to 50), and unlocked all the weapon skills asap (like I like to do). Ended up using a Staff all the way up to 32 or so when I decided to try out Daggers again, and I realized I enjoy that much more than Staff for PVE.
 
Agreed. I recently rerolled an Elementalist (after getting Warrior to 50), and unlocked all the weapon skills asap (like I like to do). Ended up using a Staff all the way up to 32 or so when I decided to try out Daggers again, and I realized I enjoy that much more than Staff for PVE.


Staff always gets me gabled when im solo or in small groups. I usually tun around with scepter and dagger, its a nice blend of aoe and 1v1. Dagger dagger is too single target focused when everything gets aggro close to you..
 
Staff always gets me gabled when im solo or in small groups. I usually tun around with scepter and dagger, its a nice blend of aoe and 1v1. Dagger dagger is too single target focused when everything gets aggro close to you..

I haven't tried out scepter in awhile, I'll have to try it out. I remember it was a bit of a pain to keep the monster centered under the tooth that comes down though.

I tend to do well against groups with daggers. I'm at work and can't look up spell names, so I apologize in advance. :p I use the firey leap attack (#3), and stafe around the group with the dragon's breath (#2). Then use that Arcane crit utility skill which does quite a bit of damage to all targets around me. After all that, a few presses of the auto attack and they're dead.
 
I haven't tried out scepter in awhile, I'll have to try it out. I remember it was a bit of a pain to keep the monster centered under the tooth that comes down though.

I tend to do well against groups with daggers. I'm at work and can't look up spell names, so I apologize in advance. :p I use the firey leap attack (#3), and stafe around the group with the dragon's breath (#2). Then use that Arcane crit utility skill which does quite a bit of damage to all targets around me. After all that, a few presses of the auto attack and they're dead.

I'm using dual daggers for PvE, but I'm finding it annoying at times, especially around mobs my exact level, or one level higher. They tend to hit like a truck.

I've been doing the Fire Breath, then a leap, followed by the ring of fire. Afterwards I use the Arcane AoE, then follow up with switching to Lightning, using Ride the Lightning, and that other ability that does damage (sometimes the shield as well). It's a handful haha.
 
Easy way to get fast levels is tradeskills and not finishing zone exploration until later in the game. Leave an easy one in each zone until you get to 50 or so and then come back and finish them, the exp scales to level. Once you are 50+ invest in Cooking and another tradeskill. Use a cooking guide and you can port around to karma vendors throughout the world that you have done events for and purchase bags of cooking supplies and get your cooking up really fast. You can get an easy 10 levels in a couple of hours doing cooking and it wont cost you more than a couple dozen silver and few hundred points of karma.

Oh and do the damn dungeons. I did the 30 dungeon but skipped 40/50/60. Going back to do them tonight. It's basically a level per dungeon.
 
Last edited:
Easy way to get fast levels is tradeskills and not finishing zone exploration until later in the game. Leave an easy one in each zone until you get to 50 or so and then come back and finish them, the exp scales to level. Once you are 50+ invest in Cooking and another tradeskill. Use a cooking guide and you can port around to karma vendors throughout the world that you have done events for and purchase bags of cooking supplies and get your cooking up really fast. You can get an easy 10 levels in a couple of hours doing cooking and it wont cost you more than a couple dozen silver and few hundred points of karma.

Oh and do the damn dungeons. I did the 30 dungeon but skipped 40/50/60. Going back to do them tonight. It's basically a level per dungeon.

we have just been running the level 40 one 3 or 4 times.. nets you 13s and 20k exp. i only got to play for like 3 hours and i got to level 45 from 42 :)
 
Having a lot of fun in W3, but man is it still not optimized. There was a huge 3 way battle for a keep last night. Only 20-30 defending the inner keep but the NE and NW walls were all down in several places. Attackers had 60+ a piece. With vsync on, I was at 60fps swimming to the back door of the keep, which is not under attack. As soon as I get near the keep, FPS starts to drop. Once I go into the back door, FPS drops to mid 30's. Keep in mind, there is NOTHING new on my screen yet. Everyone is fighting outside on the walls up front. FPS is 30 whether or not I am looking at the fight, or just near it. That is silly. This is on a 2600k @ 4.8.
 
Having a lot of fun in W3, but man is it still not optimized. There was a huge 3 way battle for a keep last night. Only 20-30 defending the inner keep but the NE and NW walls were all down in several places. Attackers had 60+ a piece. With vsync on, I was at 60fps swimming to the back door of the keep, which is not under attack. As soon as I get near the keep, FPS starts to drop. Once I go into the back door, FPS drops to mid 30's. Keep in mind, there is NOTHING new on my screen yet. Everyone is fighting outside on the walls up front. FPS is 30 whether or not I am looking at the fight, or just near it. That is silly. This is on a 2600k @ 4.8.

I dunno man. I kind of give it a break because after all it IS an MMO. I don't even use Vsync in an MMO because it's not something that really matters to me in a non competitive FPS game. I'm on a 2500k at 4.5 with a 7970 and it plays just fine but I'm not really looking at framerate. If it starts causing me to die I will but until then I just deal with random spikes.
 
I'm using dual daggers for PvE, but I'm finding it annoying at times, especially around mobs my exact level, or one level higher. They tend to hit like a truck.

I've been doing the Fire Breath, then a leap, followed by the ring of fire. Afterwards I use the Arcane AoE, then follow up with switching to Lightning, using Ride the Lightning, and that other ability that does damage (sometimes the shield as well). It's a handful haha.

Dual daggers for an Ele feels really fun, at least from a fast paced damage stand point, but the hard part is survival. Ele is still too squishy to go in guns blazing even though dual daggers makes you feel like you can walk through anything. Wrong. :p
 
Dual daggers for an Ele feels really fun, at least from a fast paced damage stand point, but the hard part is survival. Ele is still too squishy to go in guns blazing even though dual daggers makes you feel like you can walk through anything. Wrong. :p

I still prefer dual daggers; although I might die quicker. Much more fast pace which I like.
 
I kill pretty slow. Sword and board Guardian Toughness/Vit specced. I'm 62 but I have 12k health and so much toughness that my dude is pretty much unkillable unless he is just absolutely swarmed, and even then, I see people dropping around me looong before I do. I win fights through attrition, some people might not like this but I enjoy being the gigantic Norn meatshield everyone rallies behind.
 
I still prefer dual daggers; although I might die quicker. Much more fast pace which I like.

Yea, all of the skills for dual daggers are fun, all 4 elements. I love the first air skill, lightning whip. That skill makes you feel like a badass even if you arent.
 
did anybody notice a performance boost last night? my buddy was saying he got a lot better fps after the update and i havent tried it yet.
 
did anybody notice a performance boost last night? my buddy was saying he got a lot better fps after the update and i havent tried it yet.

Only had a few minutes to log-in this morning and setup some gear before I went to work, didn't get a chance to play enough to notice. There was a patch though at some point last night after I stopped playing because this morning it downloaded 20+ files. Not sure if they were performance related. I'll know more in a few hours when I leave work.
 
I went Norn Warrior, lvl 54 now. Sword and board as primary, 2 handed sword or bow as secondary. Bow is helpful for fire field solo combos, 2 hander for increasing party damage.

Currently hacking down mobs 4-6 levels above me in packs of 4+ solo with great success. So nice to play a game where you actually acquire gear you will use when you level up instead of constantly finding junk you're already far past wearing.

I intend to do mesmer next, they look like a lot of fun.
 
I kill pretty slow. Sword and board Guardian Toughness/Vit specced. I'm 62 but I have 12k health and so much toughness that my dude is pretty much unkillable unless he is just absolutely swarmed, and even then, I see people dropping around me looong before I do. I win fights through attrition, some people might not like this but I enjoy being the gigantic Norn meatshield everyone rallies behind.

This right here is the type of gameplay I am trying with my warrior.
 
Well just had a hack attempt. Thank god for ip blocking from anet. I've now changed my games email to my phones gmail which i do not give out to web sites/services and changed pass to a password I've never used before so i should be safe from future attempts.

Think im going to start switching all game emails to my gmail and leave all websites and such on my old one.
 
Regarding crafting. Don't you guys feel like you're not getting enough of tiny totems, claws and all this stuff? For example, I barely get any vials of weak blood from drops and I go out of my way to kill shit in this game. My crafting skills are below of my current level because of this. Is there any other way you can get those items from I don't know about?
 
Well just had a hack attempt. Thank god for ip blocking from anet. I've now changed my games email to my phones gmail which i do not give out to web sites/services and changed pass to a password I've never used before so i should be safe from future attempts.

Think im going to start switching all game emails to my gmail and leave all websites and such on my old one.

I've had attempts too. I need to change my password today.
 
Regarding crafting. Don't you guys feel like you're not getting enough of tiny totems, claws and all this stuff? For example, I barely get any vials of weak blood from drops and I go out of my way to kill shit in this game. My crafting skills are below of my current level because of this. Is there any other way you can get those items from I don't know about?

Copper Ore spawns mostly in the 1-15 newbie areas, and hardly at all anywhere else. I would guess that tier 1 of the crafting ingredients only drops in the newbie areas as well.
 
Regarding crafting. Don't you guys feel like you're not getting enough of tiny totems, claws and all this stuff? For example, I barely get any vials of weak blood from drops and I go out of my way to kill shit in this game. My crafting skills are below of my current level because of this. Is there any other way you can get those items from I don't know about?

I have been having the same problem, since artificing and tailoring use the exact same special items like totems, bloods, etc. I have been buying them off the auction house to be honest, but only when they drop below 50c per.
 
Back
Top