The Nintendo Switch 2 Thread

A real console rather than this hybrid handheld would certainly be nice.
But has Nintendo moved away from having a handheld and a separate console? if you have the hardware to make it pretty much do both, for the games and "style" Nintendo tends to have? Nintendo and titles have never really been about epic super ultra textures and real life looking games....so they lower manufacturing costs and all that by having a single line really.

there goes 60 fps monter hunter :(
The Super Switch will still come out sometime. Probably gonna have the "ultimate" MH Rise expansion as a showoff title. Probably improved assets as well as resolution. (Which will be what the PC port is likely gonna be based off of.)

Hell, given how well MH rise runs on switch, the PC port can probably pull 4k120hz on my 1080ti, not that I have the monitor to support it.

Well. No new Switch and no new Mario Kart. New new F-Zero, either. Even the Metroid they showed wasn't particularly interesting IMO. Oh well.

Well, everyone was off.
Not necessarily. Nintendo may very well be treating the Switch like the DS, with multiple model revisions coming in the future. The version with Orin may very well be coming some time in the future.

well the leaks about an oled screen upgrade and wired lan port were obviously accurate. those privy to information probably saw that along with rumors/information of nintendo looking at upgraded SoCs and combined them together, which seems like a reasonable assumption to make. but yeah, clearly it's going to be a while before nintendo puts anything out there with more powerful hardware.

All of Nintendos portables have had a few revisions that really only slightly changed things. The Gameboy went to the Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Pocket Light and the to the Gameboy Pocket Color. The Advance went to Advance SP, Advance SP backlight, and then Micro.

Really all of their portable stuff ends up going through a few form factor and screen revisions. Your had the DS, DS Light, and then DSi as well. The 3DS, 2DS, and DSXL were another family completely.

They seem to be sticking with this. We've gone from the original model (switch) to a light version (switch lite), and now to the "nicer" version with the switch oled. That doesn't mean they might not make a make a switch pro with souped up guts, but their tinkering is sticking with what one should and does expect from them.

Who knows really. But it's not unpossible that the "switch pro" with better guts is just a second switch family entirely like the DS vs 3DS or Gameboy vs Gameboy Advance.

well the leaks about an oled screen upgrade and wired lan port were obviously accurate. those privy to information probably saw that along with rumors/information of nintendo looking at upgraded SoCs and combined them together, which seems like a reasonable assumption to make. but yeah, clearly it's going to be a while before nintendo puts anything out there with more powerful hardware.

Why would they launch a new console when there are no chips to go around, that's only asking for trouble. Every couple of months, my area of the world get's around 15k PS5's and there are several hundred of thousands on backorder, one shop has recently fullfilled their pre-orders from B4 december last year. As for the Series X, preoders from last september are where they are at.

I’m as big a fan of Nintendo and OLED screens as anyone and I’m not upgrading to this. Why so I need a better screen to see lackluster visuals. Also, when you go bigger but don’t up the resolution, the visuals get worse, not better.

Not a fan of this new version.

Reactions: Nobu
like this
As a huge Nintendo (and Switch) fan, I’m somewhat disappointed by this. Would have been a great opportunity to sneak in a bit more power. I agree with some of the above posts though, that this wouldn’t be the greatest time to do it with the chip shortages.

I'm going to get one. Though I prefer it was a light version with the OLED. The SO likes playing it like a gameboy so the slightly bigger and nicer screen is perfect for her.

I'm going to get one. Though I prefer it was a light version with the OLED. The SO likes playing it like a gameboy so the slightly bigger and nicer screen is perfect for her.

I'll probably end up with one as well actually. I trickle machines down to my daughters, even with semi-insignificant upgrades, just so everyone's got something to play. So, I may as well pick one up. :D

I don't see myself buying this unless somehow my current Switch dies. Really hoping for a Pro version eventually with upgraded CPU/GPU, but I'm guessing it'll be 2022 at the earliest given the announcement of this.
Same here. I was all for upgrading to a faster version but OLED screen does nothing for me. It's a bit disappointing when even first party titles like Mario Golf have relatively frequent gpu lag, nothing game breaking, just annoying.

All of Nintendos portables have had a few revisions that really only slightly changed things. The Gameboy went to the Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Pocket Light and the to the Gameboy Pocket Color. The Advance went to Advance SP, Advance SP backlight, and then Micro.

Really all of their portable stuff ends up going through a few form factor and screen revisions. Your had the DS, DS Light, and then DSi as well. The 3DS, 2DS, and DSXL were another family completely.

They seem to be sticking with this. We've gone from the original model (switch) to a light version (switch lite), and now to the "nicer" version with the switch oled. That doesn't mean they might not make a make a switch pro with souped up guts, but their tinkering is sticking with what one should and does expect from them.

Who knows really. But it's not unpossible that the "switch pro" with better guts is just a second switch family entirely like the DS vs 3DS or Gameboy vs Gameboy Advance.
The DSi had stronger hardware in it than its predecessors. It had 16MB of RAM compared to 4MB in the DS and DS Lite, and a 133 MHz CPU compared to 67 MHz of the previous models. As a result, games designed to run natively on the DSi could not run on the standard DS or DS Lite. They have released a more powerful revision of hardware in the past and they can do it again.

The DSi had stronger hardware in it than its predecessors. It had 16MB of RAM compared to 4MB in the DS and DS Lite, and a 133 MHz CPU compared to 67 MHz of the previous models. As a result, games designed to run natively on the DSi could not run on the standard DS or DS Lite. They have released a more powerful revision of hardware in the past and they can do it again.
Same thing with the 3DS vew New 3DS as well.

My fear is that it will be like the New 3DS, where it did nothing to speed up older titles, only "New 3DS compatible" ones that released after. And there were only a handful of those IIRC.

The latest Monster Hunter titles really are exposing framerate issues with the Switch. However, that may just be bad coding since BOTW looks amazing and runs pretty consistently well from what I remember.

My fear is that it will be like the New 3DS, where it did nothing to speed up older titles, only "New 3DS compatible" ones that released after. And there were only a handful of those IIRC.

The latest Monster Hunter titles really are exposing framerate issues with the Switch. However, that may just be bad coding since BOTW looks amazing and runs pretty consistently well from what I remember.

I think with the New 3DS though, there was more at work. The extra controls for example. I think the newer games that required it, did so more because of that, than the performance difference. (though I only really had two games that were N3DS compliant, so maybe I've missed something) I should actually see if there's anything worth getting on the N3DS after I kind of stopped buying things for it. I still really like the system overall.

I think with the New 3DS though, there was more at work. The extra controls for example. I think the newer games that required it, did so more because of that, than the performance difference. (though I only really had two games that were N3DS compliant, so maybe I've missed something) I should actually see if there's anything worth getting on the N3DS after I kind of stopped buying things for it. I still really like the system overall.
I recently bought a New 3DS XL, I've literally been playing it more than my PC for the past couple of weeks. Really good system.

I recently bought a New 3DS XL, I've literally been playing it more than my PC for the past couple of weeks. Really good system.

It really is excellent. Shovel Knight in 3D is my favorite way to play that. Also it’s the best version of Ocarina and Majora. Add Link between Worlds, and just these alone are enough to pick one up. (Not to mention the only way to play a newer Pilotwings :) )

Damnit, now I have to get it out. :D

(after I finish my current Hollow Knight run on my Switch)

It really is excellent. Shovel Knight in 3D is my favorite way to play that. Also it’s the best version of Ocarina and Majora. Add Link between Worlds, and just these alone are enough to pick one up. (Not to mention the only way to play a newer Pilotwings :) )

Hell yeah! Also the Fire Emblem games are fucking great. Like seriously "killer apps" for the system.

I've played a lot of the games you all speak of on 3DS. 2 more I can recommend that are diamonds in the rough: Metroid: Samus Returns and Kid Icarus: Uprising. You should be able to find Metroid: Samus Returns physically on Amazon and Best Buy online and also the Nintendo 3DS eShop. You can find Kid Icarus: Uprising only on the Nintendo 3DS eShop. Out!

Yes 3DS does have the best Ocarina of Time ever it is the definitive version.

Also agree Link Between Worlds is one of the best games of all time.

No harm in it, I still bust out Contra DS from time to time.

I have learned recently, looks like no Switch 2 this year, most likely early next year (2022). Possible that they get it out for Xmas, but all signs right now point to "no." Remember the original Switch launched in March of 2017. Given what we have just seen launched with the new OLED screen unit, it is going to be the holdover through the Xmas buying season. A bunch of leakers thought that the NV "Lovelace" architecture was a new desktop part before Hoppper, but from my understanding, Lovelace is actually the Switch 2's new CPU/GPU architecture.

I have learned recently, looks like no Switch 2 this year, most likely early next year (2022). Possible that they get it out for Xmas, but all signs right now point to "no." Remember the original Switch launched in March of 2017. Given what we have just seen launched with the new OLED screen unit, it is going to be the holdover through the Xmas buying season. A bunch of leakers thought that the NV "Lovelace" architecture was a new desktop part before Hoppper, but from my understanding, Lovelace is actually the Switch 2's new CPU/GPU architecture.

I'm surprised the leakers haven't use Old Bennett's post here for their Youtube videos (at least I haven't seen any yet).

No way a new switch would be out by this holiday. It would already be in manufacturing, leaks would be everywhere. If it's early 2022, we should have leaks any minute.

It will be holidays 2022/early 2023 with BOTW2 release. Book it.

what kind of performance/efficiency can we expect from this architecture?
Well if it's going to be using Lovelace, that is on a 5nm process compared to the 20nm used in the current Switch. That would be a very massive jump in perf/W.

No way a new switch would be out by this holiday. It would already be in manufacturing, leaks would be everywhere. If it's early 2022, we should have leaks any minute.

It will be holidays 2022/early 2023 with BOTW2 release. Book it.
Syncing the release with BotW2 is such an obviously good idea that Nintendo might not do it. lol

Back