The Nintendo Switch 2 Thread

Shortage might delay it to 2022.
Don't know about other components, but Orin is supposedly on Samsung 5nm which is fabbed in South Korea. I'm not aware of what customers are lined up for that process. Samsung started manufacturing 5nm parts in the latter half of last year. My guess would be 4Q CY 2021 - 1Q CY 2022.

I'll probably give mine to my niece and grab this one. Hopefully they add a better wireless receiver or add a ethernet port to the base because downloading and updating games on this thing is excruciatingly slow... Also, more sturdy build quality would be nice.

You know you can plug in a usb NIC, right? Supports a small handful of chipsets, but both of the devices I had were on the list.

You know you can plug in a usb NIC, right? Supports a small handful of chipsets, but both of the devices I had were on the list.
Yeah, I have both my docks hardwired to ethernet.
This slightly convoluted mess of wires is my switch streaming setup.

https://smile.amazon.com/UGREEN-Eth...net+adapter&qid=1617122869&sprefix=ugr&sr=8-3
is a good usb to ethernet that works with Switch and also gives USB ports.
PXL_20210326_052809204.MP.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, I have both my docks hardwired to ethernet.
This slightly convoluted mess of wires is my switch streaming setup.

https://smile.amazon.com/UGREEN-Eth...net+adapter&qid=1617122869&sprefix=ugr&sr=8-3
is a good usb to ethernet that works with Switch and also gives USB ports.View attachment 343591

Nice, I think I'll pick up one of those for when I get into MHR online more. The demo seemed okay on Wi-Fi but I definitely did notice some sliding/warping around a bit sometimes.

I got a wired connection back when I was playing Smash Bros Ultimate more often. Made a huge difference for something as lag dependent as Smash.

Same reason I wanted the USB ports, my Switch to Gamecube controller adapter takes two ports and this usb hub can power it, the Ethernet, and the Mclassic by itself.

I get all this and then spent 6 hours playing switch in handheld mode last night. 🤣

I got a wired connection back when I was playing Smash Bros Ultimate more often. Made a huge difference for something as lag dependent as Smash.

Same reason I wanted the USB ports, my Switch to Gamecube controller adapter takes two ports and this usb hub can power it, the Ethernet, and the Mclassic by itself.

I get all this and then spent 6 hours playing switch in handheld mode last night. 🤣

See, I used to play MH for hours upon hours on the 3DS, but nowadays it's tough for me to play on the Switch handheld. I dunno if it's because my eyes are getting old or what, but I mostly play docked these days.

See, I used to play MH for hours upon hours on the 3DS, but nowadays it's tough for me to play on the Switch handheld. I dunno if it's because my eyes are getting old or what, but I mostly play docked these days.
I've always had issues playing on handhelds. No matter what I would do I would always get strains in my upper neck.

I've always had issues playing on handhelds. No matter what I would do I would always get strains in my upper neck.
Gotta hold it up level with your head. Have the same problem, and holding it up makes my shoulders hurt, so I usually don't play much or play while laying down.

Gotta hold it up level with your head. Have the same problem, and holding it up makes my shoulders hurt, so I usually don't play much or play while laying down.
Which is why I wish it wasn't so expensive to add video out on my DS. There is a program being developed that can stream your 3DS to your PC, though.
https://github.com/RattletraPM/Snickerstream

For the Switch, I always play with it docked. It's too big to carry around with me comfortably, anyway.

So on a subject like the Nintendo Switch Pro (or Switch 2 or Super Switch or whatever they end up calling it) I do have quite a few thoughts about some pieces of the the reveals of the hardware we know so far. While I am a citizen of the PC Master Race I am also a dual citizen in The World of Nintendo. So, 2 different thoughts I feel I can add to the conversation involve Samsung's 7" 720p resolution OLED screen and nVIDIA's new SOC chip that apparently will allow 4K docked under DLSS 2.0. Both of these hardware features to a great degree go together.

Let's start with the screen. I think it'll be by picture, color depth and gamma quality quite superb but people are questioning, "720p? For an upgraded Switch, it doesn't feel like much of an upgrade...". On the surface they would be right. But...look deeper. There are a lot of games on Nintendo Switch right now where in handheld mode they cannot run at 720p. Nor can they run at 60FPS. Quite a few cannot do both. In my own Switch game collection let me give you a few examples (both 1st and 3rd party):

1st party (anything listed without parenthesis next to them are games that cannot run at 720p or 60FPS. Games that can do 1 or the other (will have parenthesis and an explanation to them): The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Fire Emblem Warriors (can do 720p, cannot do 60 FPS), Astral Chain, Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity, Luigi's Mansion 3 (can run 720p, cannot do 60FPS)

3rd party: DOOM 2016, DOOM: Eternal, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order, The Wonderful 101: Remastered, Bayonetta 1, Bayonetta 2, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Complete Edition, NBA 2K...pick one, Mortal Kombat 11 (can do 60FPS, cannot do 720p), Monster Hunter Rise, Darksiders 1 & 2, Red Faction Guerilla Re-Mars-Tered Edition, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana, Starlink: Battle for Atlas, The Outer Worlds

Now to me, keeping this screen at 720p isn't exactly a bad thing based on how so many games right now cannot run 720p and 60FPS simultaneously on handheld so I am okay with them leaving the screen at 720p. Which segways into the next point which goes together with the screen: the new nVIDIA SOC CPU/GPU for Switch. If it can really do 4K with the help of DLSS docked imagine how it'll help handheld too? It might be powerful enough to run any game in the Switch library at a locked 720p and 60FPS on handheld. Now, I don't know about the rest of you but that would be a great big upgrade step for me and time well spent by Nintendo to get the handheld to the point where everything is 720p handheld at 60FPS. There's my thoughts for now and until next time I am out!

Bloomberg is citing multiple sources that the New Nintendo Switch and New Nintendo Switch Pro will be out in September or October, and will be revealed before this year's E3:

https://www.polygon.com/22456547/nintendo-switch-pro-4k-oled-e3-2021-report

Anyone have any thoughts on what would be the best way to stay on the bleeding edge of news on preorder availability? I'm gonna absolutely rage if I miss the preorder window when they start, because this motherfucker is gonna make getting a PS5 look like a walk in the park

Bloomberg is citing multiple sources that the New Nintendo Switch and New Nintendo Switch Pro will be out in September or October, and will be revealed before this year's E3:

Anyone have any thoughts on what would be the best way to stay on the bleeding edge of news on preorder availability? I'm gonna absolutely rage if I miss the preorder window when they start, because this motherfucker is gonna make getting a PS5 look like a walk in the park

NowInStock's chat has worked for me. Ignore the stock alerts, just look at the chat. People post when stores have stock in real time.

Well to get my switch on launch day, i calmly watched the presentation, then took my time going to amazon and clicking the pre order button. Damn a lot has changed in the last few years.

Think i'm gonna try to get one, if i do cool, gonna homebrew my old switch. If i don't, also cool, i'm just wasting money at this point, rarely use my switch.

My decision to buy another Nintendo system will always revolve around Mario Kart. If there's no Mario Kart 9 (or another Smash...which is way less likely since SSBU still getting DLC), I'm not going to buy one. I don't want/need another remastered spin on an older one - it's time for a totally new game.

Yea I have no interest in a Nintendo system anymore. This will be the first one I dont buy.

Yea I have no interest in a Nintendo system anymore. This will be the first one I dont buy.
Neat.

I have every interest in this and will be doing my best to get one Day One.

I think we'll see the info AT E3, considering that's only a week or two away. It'll be kind of dumb to say something before that. Unless they're just doing their own direct thing (as they have the past few years) and not considering that E3.

My decision to buy another Nintendo system will always revolve around Mario Kart. If there's no Mario Kart 9 (or another Smash...which is way less likely since SSBU still getting DLC), I'm not going to buy one. I don't want/need another remastered spin on an older one - it's time for a totally new game.
Mine will be whether or not the embattled Metroid game is released. Everything else released by Nintendo in recent memory has been rather soulless for the most part. A new Metroid is the only thing that will get me to buy another Nintendo console.

Mine will be whether or not the embattled Metroid game is released. Everything else released by Nintendo in recent memory has been rather soulless for the most part. A new Metroid is the only thing that will get me to buy another Nintendo console.
BotW 2 doesn't do anything for ya?

And for anyone confused, this is essentially the New 3DS and New 3DS XL for the Switch. They're skipping the "3DS XL".

3DS = Switch
2DS = Switch Lite
3DS XL = no Switch counterpart

New 3DS = New Switch
New 3DS XL = New Switch Pro
2DS XL = Probably an improved Switch Lite based on New Switch hardware, which will come a year or so later like the 2DS XL

We'll have to wait for official names but that seems to be roughly what they will align with.

If you're waiting for a Switch successor you'll need to wait another 3-4 years. Switch is just barely 4 years old. It is at its mid life cycle right now, and is one of the best selling consoles in history. Has a lot of momentum and other games ahead of it before a new console comes out.

updated rumor says announcement tomorrow followed by preorders on friday... probably about 1.23% chance of that being true but hey.

I think the announcement will be earlier than the June 15th keynote, but the June 15th keynote software footage will be mostly from the Switch Pro.

Fingers crossed for more Mario Kart. I don't even care if it isn't Switch 2 (or whatever they call it) enhanced. It's simply time for some new MK.

I think for Mario Kart 9 it's still going to be awhile until we get it. Reason? Simple really. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is the biggest selling game on Nintendo Switch throughout its life cycle right now. Nearing 40 million copies sold now. As long as it still continues to sell well Nintendo has no reason to move onto Mario Kart 9. Do I think we'll see a Mario Kart 9 someday? Yes. With that yes though I've got to include a but. That but is but not until Mario Kart 8 Deluxe runs out of fuel on the retail market and sales stall. Then they'll announce a Mario Kart 9. I would believe and have a hunch Mario Kart 9 is in development at this point (or soon will be) but again when 8 Deluxe is still selling so well it would be silly to announce 9 and kill its sales potential. That's what's on my mind and until next time I am out!

I think for Mario Kart 9 it's still going to be awhile until we get it. Reason? Simple really. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is the biggest selling game on Nintendo Switch throughout its life cycle right now. Nearing 40 million copies sold now. As long as it still continues to sell well Nintendo has no reason to move onto Mario Kart 9. Do I think we'll see a Mario Kart 9 someday? Yes. With that yes though I've got to include a but. That but is but not until Mario Kart 8 Deluxe runs out of fuel on the retail market and sales stall. Then they'll announce a Mario Kart 9. I would believe and have a hunch Mario Kart 9 is in development at this point (or soon will be) but again when 8 Deluxe is still selling so well it would be silly to announce 9 and kill its sales potential. That's what's on my mind and until next time I am out!
Breath of the Wild is still a huge seller and they announced BotW 2 what, like 2 years ago?

Breath of the Wild is still a huge seller and they announced BotW 2 what, like 2 years ago?

There's a difference between a single player and a multiplayer game though. Nintendo will push multiple single player titles in a time and avoid doing that with MP titles. Communities like say Smash or Kart really do best on games that sit for a while.

Nada on a new Switch at the Nintendo Direct today. Something tells me it was in their plans (or announcing it even before E3 as was rumored) but the component shortages made them push it off, probably until 2022 (but who knows.)

Could be, I mean would be nice that they are considering that and do not want to have a paper launch... I am sure current switch sales for hardware and games still brings in a pretty penny for them so really no reason to rush it.

Could be, I mean would be nice that they are considering that and do not want to have a paper launch... I am sure current switch sales for hardware and games still brings in a pretty penny for them so really no reason to rush it.
They should scrap it at this point and work towards a new console. It is going to be outdated on 2021 and more so next year.

Nada on a new Switch at the Nintendo Direct today. Something tells me it was in their plans (or announcing it even before E3 as was rumored) but the component shortages made them push it off, probably until 2022 (but who knows)
I'm expecting a simultaneous launch with Breath of the Wild 2 as a way to push both out in bundle form. So, 2022 at this point.
Metroid Prime 4 is also probably delayed as a show off title for Switch Pro.

Back