The New, (now) official, Show off Your Video Card Thread

Dudeyourlame said:
Nice Video cards.. im still waiting for Ati R520 or a gen after that to upgrade

Thx. Thats a good idea considering you have a 6800. This was an upgrade from a gen before, 9800.

Peach said:
what is under the heatsink towards the right side of the card?

take his pic , put it in paint and point to what you are talking about and then im pretty sure you know how to host it and then post here :)

um.. if you look at the pic above and his discription.. you can already tell what hes talking about.... no need for paint

Hes taling about the Black sink near the end of the card... sheesh :rolleyes:

Peach said:
what is under the heatsink towards the right side of the card?

Are you talking about that cylinder (Capacitor ) at the bottom corner of the large HSF or the black fins (memory Heat sink)?

DFI Lanparty nf4 sli-dr. Already got the board, its a beast.

edit: Heres what every one has been asking about, the little heatsink on the end. you cannot tell what its cooling from the back of the card, theres not much there lol... pic

img45274sv.jpg
This card is huge!

img45294nj.jpg
thats whats behind that mysterious heatsink... nothin! lol

yeah its huge compared to my 9800 pro, ill measure it, just a sec...'

damn!!! 9.5 inches!!

damn.. thats big... i don...let me see... no.. i dont have that kind of room in my case!....

is it longer then the 6800GTs?.. cause i got like a inch and a half to spare when its in my cae.. ( comes back from RMA the 6th!!)

Homer said:

edit: Heres what every one has been asking about, the little heatsink on the end. you cannot tell what its cooling from the back of the card, theres not much there lol... pic

http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/910/img45274sv.jpg
This card is huge!
http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/6282/img45294nj.jpg
thats whats behind that
mysterious heatsink... nothin! lol

uhm... sorry, looking on the other side of the pcb will not tell you what's really under the actual sink... it's got to be the voltage regulators (MOSFET)... I recently took that "same" (same basic layout) sink off of my GTs to remove the thermal padding and replace with ceramic compound, and those suckers are small and very flat... they would be very tough to see unless you take that sink off... it's very easy though, just pinch the parts that stick through the PCB with a pair of needle-nose pliars and they come right off... easiest sink removal I have ever done. :)

Anyways, I have touched that sink on my GTs many times and it does get hot... very hot actually... so I imagine they just wanted to put a better sink there... I have a feeling that the MOSFETs are what blow out on the 6800 / 6600 cards when they die... having read quiet a few posts about "I fried my 6800", etc... I have a feeling Nvidia made a very smart move with making that sink a lot beefier. :)

EDIT: I wonder if a MOSFET water block will be available sometime? lol

Most People use a 1 dollar bill for size comparisons
But not our loaded Homer! :D

Warrior said:
damn.. thats big... i don...let me see... no.. i dont have that kind of room in my case!....

is it longer then the 6800GTs?.. cause i got like a inch and a half to spare when its in my cae.. ( comes back from RMA the 6th!!)

DSCN0220.JPG

Your just gonna make it

the PCB looks about the same size as the 6800 512mb cards... same large sink on the MOSFETs also.

It would make sense because they were already mfging 7800s and they probably realized they needed more room for the extra ram and the ram lines.. so they just put it on a 7800 pcb. Maybe they themselves are 7800's rather than 6800's with the extra pipes locked? Does anyone have the 512 6800 to confirm what the core says on it?

~Adam

bla005.jpg

yeah its purple sorry for confusion

(still best looking card i've ever seen!)

ok *cough* that's freaking gross --- so if anyone has any more video card images, this would be a good time to post them. :)

Homer said:

img45274sv.jpg
This card is huge!

You could have at least gone to the bank and got a brand new bill before trying to show off.

Back