The New EVE: Apocrypha

kencheeto

2[H]4U
For those wondering why sec status is needed other than for jumpclones, it comes into play when you start warring in lowsec or want to pull a suicide op in highsec. You can look at it as credit with the popo so you can do whatever you want :)

mashie

Mawd Gawd
For those wondering why sec status is needed other than for jumpclones, it comes into play when you start warring in lowsec or want to pull a suicide op in highsec. You can look at it as credit with the popo so you can do whatever you want :)
Sec status is only used for one thing, to not get shot in empire. For jump clones you need 8.0+ standing with the corp that own the station where the clone bay is located.

Version_3

2[H]4U
Sec status is only used for one thing, to not get shot in empire. For jump clones you need 8.0+ standing with the corp that own the station where the clone bay is located.

This is how I thought it was, as well.

The reason for me wanting to raise my sec is because I still do a lot of stuff in high sec, and often need to traverse spaces ranging from .5 to 1.0. Having a bad sec standing with Concord limits what high sec space you can enter. However, as an aggressor in low sec (for me it was .4 space), I got docked 0.6% on my standing.

kencheeto

2[H]4U

You're right, guess I haven't had enough coffee yet today..

Anyway, the point I wanted to make was that sec status isn't something everyone just builds up to perfect, it allows you to do all sorts of illegal things.

Thuleman

Supreme [H]ardness
The other thing is that a sec status of 5.0 is a pretty good indicator that the pilot spend a lot of time on PvE. This can be misleading, especially on old characters, but if you have someone who's fairly new (as in a couple years max) and they have 5.0, then odds are they don't PvP full-time, and may not put up much of a fight (or are not looking to stir up trouble, if you are operating on NRDS).

eggrock

Supreme [H]ardness
This is how I thought it was, as well.

The reason for me wanting to raise my sec is because I still do a lot of stuff in high sec, and often need to traverse spaces ranging from .5 to 1.0. Having a bad sec standing with Concord limits what high sec space you can enter. However, as an aggressor in low sec (for me it was .4 space), I got docked 0.6% on my standing.

Yep, that's my point. Can't get into Jita with --sec (I forget the exact value) and I'm guessing the trade hubs in Gallente and Minmatar space, (where I'd like JCs installed) are .8 or higher. Combining mission and sec status gains is the most efficient way to go. Well, not being a noob and accepting missions that kill status is really the best way to go but I already failed. :)

squishy

[H]ard|Gawd
Anything above -1.9 sec status is irrelevant really. At -2.0 you start not being able to go to 1.0 systems. There's a chart here somewhere:

* Players with better than -2.0 can enter any system
* Players with -2.0 or worse cannot enter 1.0 systems
* Players with -2.5 or worse cannot enter 0.9 systems
* Players with -3.0 or worse cannot enter 0.8 systems
* Players with -3.5 or worse cannot enter 0.7 systems
* Players with -4.0 or worse cannot enter 0.6 systems
* Players with -4.5 or worse cannot enter 0.5 systems

The magic numbers are -1.9 and -5.0. At -5.0 you become a "pirate" and start being flashy red and anyone can shoot you at any time w/o taking gate gun fire.

eggrock

Supreme [H]ardness
I finally read through the recent dev blogs and Dominion sounds neat. I'd love to see the disintegration of the huge alliances and get out to 0.0 at the same time. My skills should be at a relatively useful level by that time and I can actually pew pew.

The dev blog about the desync (upcoming) fix was really cool.

SAW

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok....Ive got to finally ask the question. WTH does "War Decced" mean? I see it in EVE threads all the time and the best Ive been able to figure is...It has something to do with PvP and player run Corps. I gather that its not quite a good thing, but it is also not quite a bad thing either depending on what side of the battle you are on. Ive also read that people/corps who are war decced seem to log off. Why? Yeah, I could google it, but Id rather have the answer come from you guys :)

Climber

Supreme [H]ardness
Ok....Ive got to finally ask the question. WTH does "War Decced" mean? I see it in EVE threads all the time and the best Ive been able to figure is...It has something to do with PvP and player run Corps. I gather that its not quite a good thing, but it is also not quite a bad thing either depending on what side of the battle you are on. Ive also read that people/corps who are war decced seem to log off. Why? Yeah, I could google it, but Id rather have the answer come from you guys :)

When another corporation declares war on your corporation. I joined my buddies corp and literally the next day we got war decced by a small corp whose main idea of pvp was to just cause isk loss so they went after solo targets and would log off instantly if they went after them.

Seemed to be 4 weeks of boring crap. All they would do is sit outside hangars and people would flip out if I logged in and tried to play. Got to say, it really turned me off to any sort of pvp in this game.

Thuleman

Supreme [H]ardness
I finally read through the recent dev blogs and Dominion sounds neat. I'd love to see the disintegration of the huge alliances and get out to 0.0 at the same time.
I am at the exact opposite end of things.

Today, anyone who has the balls can go to 0.0. It's trivial to do so, and no large alliance is preventing noobs from settling in 0.0. Should the proposed changes be implemented, then players are guaranteed to completely abandon large stretches of 0.0 because it will be pointless to put any ISK into it.

CCP is changing EVE from being a game where long term planning used to pay off to a game where things will be extremely short term, much like "capture the flag" style gaming. This will not appease the traditional player base.

I can't even possibly begin to describe how disappointed I am by the proposed changes. Honestly, to me it largely removes the desire to play EVE. I can play "skirmish mode" in any other game where I don't need to pay $15/mo to play it (i.e. BF, TF2, BFH, CoDMW, etc. etc.).

Having said that, there's lots of ISK to be made in Dominion, which is sort of nice, except there's not much to spend it on anymore, which makes it more pointless.

I have been talking to a lot of people about Dominion, and I haven't found many who are happy with the proposed changes. We all just hope that CCP will come to its senses before they actually publish the expansion.

ojax

Gawd
When another corporation declares war on your corporation. I joined my buddies corp and literally the next day we got war decced by a small corp whose main idea of pvp was to just cause isk loss so they went after solo targets and would log off instantly if they went after them.

Seemed to be 4 weeks of boring crap. All they would do is sit outside hangars and people would flip out if I logged in and tried to play. Got to say, it really turned me off to any sort of pvp in this game.

Sounds similar to my experience... My corp is EVE is small, only 8 members and most of the guys are from Norway or Iceland... My 4th week into playing the game, my corp leader got into an argument with some idiot noob over something insignificant... So this idiot noob told his friend IRL who is a pirate in a small corp like ours and his friend war decced us just to grief us... All b/c a noob friend of theirs was embarrased arguing over something he knew nothing about... So the next 2 weeks we were cornered most of the time in a station or system or attacked mining or missioning... It was pointless, stupid and nobody gained anything from it... We didn't lose anything, but that idiot corp lost the ISK on the was dec and actually the war finished because they couldn't afford to pay the cost to stay decced... We even tried to talk sensibly to that corp, but the members acted like below average lobotomized sloths recently hit by a fast moving vehicle, so we just had to wait it out and not risk going afk or hanging around corp HQ system...EVE is a rough place filled with all sorts of scum... The devs encourage slimy behavior... :p

knothead34

[H]ard|Gawd
i always hated the sec status hit. even if you were attacking a pirate you would take a sec status hit which was stupid.

D0n2k

Weaksauce
i always hated the sec status hit. even if you were attacking a pirate you would take a sec status hit which was stupid.

negative. True Pirate (flashy) < -5.0 you are allowed to shoot and are doing a service to EvE and a doing the job for Concord (police) - no sec hit here, you can even pod them.

people who have been just a little naughty -4.9 to -0.1, nope can't shoot those. overview for new players is a bit annoying there, negative sec status shows up too easily, bit over the top imo.

eggrock

Supreme [H]ardness
I am at the exact opposite end of things.

Today, anyone who has the balls can go to 0.0. It's trivial to do so, and no large alliance is preventing noobs from settling in 0.0. Should the proposed changes be implemented, then players are guaranteed to completely abandon large stretches of 0.0 because it will be pointless to put any ISK into it.

CCP is changing EVE from being a game where long term planning used to pay off to a game where things will be extremely short term, much like "capture the flag" style gaming. This will not appease the traditional player base.

I can't even possibly begin to describe how disappointed I am by the proposed changes. Honestly, to me it largely removes the desire to play EVE. I can play "skirmish mode" in any other game where I don't need to pay $15/mo to play it (i.e. BF, TF2, BFH, CoDMW, etc. etc.).

Having said that, there's lots of ISK to be made in Dominion, which is sort of nice, except there's not much to spend it on anymore, which makes it more pointless.

I have been talking to a lot of people about Dominion, and I haven't found many who are happy with the proposed changes. We all just hope that CCP will come to its senses before they actually publish the expansion.

Sure I can go to 0.0, with low skills, my handful of T1 ships and less than $30M in the wallet. Sounds like a blast--if I lose a couple of ships I can fly L2s to pimp that wallet out.

Easy to say when you can lose 1.7B and not lose any sleep over it. Maybe when I get to the point where I can toss a few B down on a Tengu (or whatever) and breeze through L4s to pay for my PvP alt--do you even remember what it's like starting out in this game?

IMO breaking up the old money and allowing unused space to be 'developed', might give me and people like me a chance to live outside of hisec with a reasonable chance at sustainability. If I'm stuck carebearing in hisec all the time to pay for PvP, fuck it.

WarriorX

2[H]4U
Sure I can go to 0.0, with low skills, my handful of T1 ships and less than $30M in the wallet. Sounds like a blast--if I lose a couple of ships I can fly L2s to pimp that wallet out.

Easy to say when you can lose 1.7B and not lose any sleep over it. Maybe when I get to the point where I can toss a few B down on a Tengu (or whatever) and breeze through L4s to pay for my PvP alt--do you even remember what it's like starting out in this game?

IMO breaking up the old money and allowing unused space to be 'developed', might give me and people like me a chance to live outside of hisec with a reasonable chance at sustainability. If I'm stuck carebearing in hisec all the time to pay for PvP, fuck it.

You can rat in 0.0 which can earn you all the money you need to pvp.

eggrock

Supreme [H]ardness
I figure I'll have 2-3 months before Dominion releases and I'd like to use the time wisely. I made some poor choices, missioned in Amarr space instead of Caldari (the LP store is nearly useless for me), wasted my remaps and spent too much isk on a Rokh that I can't fly well. On the good side, I just got access to a high quality L3 agent in Caldari space so I can start earning soon. The Rokh will be good for that at least and the LP will get me into some faction ammo.

My real issue is a lack of knowledge about 0.0, where to live/park, what is safe(ish) and what to avoid, logistics etc. I used to be able to read up a little at work but the proxies are insane and block anything EVE related the first time I visit the site. :rolleyes: :mad:

What has me excited is the possibility of sprawling, NBSI corps and alliances constricting and leaving some openings for people (me) to exploit. Finding the right corp is going to be another research project but it will be a good challenge to try and get in on the ground floor and help build something up, as opposed to being fodder for some uberpodder to exploit. If the concerns about Dominion and 'system pingpong' are valid it could get hairy for awhile but that's the fun of it.

I think CCP is walking a risky line trying to push noobs and pussies into 0.0, yet at the same time risking alienation of established characters. It's going to be interesting to see how things shake out. I like change.

MrGoat

[H]ard|Gawd
Its the NRDS guys that are going to complain about the changes the most. NBSI guys will never whine about more targets to shoot. Hopefully this will mean the resurgance of small roaming gangs :)

D0n2k

Weaksauce
NRDS = not red don't shoot.
NBSI = not blue shoot ...instantly?

get the gist of it but never quite sure what NBSI meant exactly.

knothead34

[H]ard|Gawd
yeah i didnt mean if they were flashy i mean someone in a known pirate corp and has minus 5 to minus 1 status. kinda bs you cant shoot them without taking a sec hit. they actually have to steal from your can or whatever. as far as i know anyone can still steal your salvage unless they fixed that.

SAW

[H]ard|Gawd
yeah i didnt mean if they were flashy i mean someone in a known pirate corp and has minus 5 to minus 1 status. kinda bs you cant shoot them without taking a sec hit. they actually have to steal from your can or whatever. as far as i know anyone can still steal your salvage unless they fixed that.

My understanding was.....

Someones "can" being stolen from...you get to shoot them with NO sec hit towards you, but the thief gets a hit.

Wrecks are 100% fair game to anyone who gets them first. No sec hit whatsoever.

Now, my question would be....if I catch a thief taking my wrecks, (if it is indeed fair game), can I shoot at them WITHOUT a sec hit or do I just sit there and not do a thing and let them take my wrecks, worried about my sec status?

Personally, if I catch someone in the act of taking my shit, Im going to open up on them...granted they aren't in a fairly larger ship than mine, heh.

squishy

[H]ard|Gawd
Salvaging = no sec involved. Fair game.
Stealing from wreck = insta flashy. You can do whatever it requires for 15 minutes to kill them (the person that stole from the can), no sec hit involved. Keep in mind that once you engage them, their entire corp can engage you.

Usually people taking from your can is bait of some sort. Quit frankly that's why I like 0.0 and low-sec, there's no thinking involved. If it's not blue (we have zero blues) shoot it. Basically if you're not in my corp and I catch you, it's pew pew time.

I lived in high sec when I started the game 3 years ago and haven't been back since, so my info may not be perfect =D

MrGoat

[H]ard|Gawd

If you are a low sec pirate for more than about 2 days and have a sec status of higher than -5 you are doing it wrong. Securty status hits are much higer than any gains you will see from -.5 for simply aggressing up to -12.5 for a pod kill.

Details here,
http://www.eve-wiki.net/index.php?title=Resources:Aggression_and_Criminal_Flagging_Guide

mashie

Mawd Gawd
Salvaging = no sec involved. Fair game.
Stealing from wreck = insta flashy. You can do whatever it requires for 15 minutes to kill them (the person that stole from the can), no sec hit involved. Keep in mind that once you engage them, their entire corp can engage you.
Not correct. Everyone in the corp that owns the can are allowed to shoot the thief. Friends/corp members of the thief can do nothing but remote repair him at which stage they can be shot by the can owners corp as well.

Ofcourse everyone the can owners corp that open fire are open season for the people they have shot which is why one tactic is for the thief to get one by one of them fully agressed by the can owners and when the time is right undock all of them and OMGWTFBBQ the people trying to defend the can as they now all are flagged to each other.

squishy

[H]ard|Gawd
Thanks for the clarification mashie. Never really did get a good handle on high sec aggro mechanics, just don't use them enough.

Tytalus

Supreme [H]ardness
For the few of you who probably didn't notice, I tossed out some 10M donations to a few folks I recognized during my 1-day renewal (provided compliments of CCP.)

Now I'm down to 1.7 billion ISK again... oh well!

Enjoy!

SAW

[H]ard|Gawd
For the few of you who probably didn't notice, I tossed out some 10M donations to a few folks I recognized during my 1-day renewal (provided compliments of CCP.)

Now I'm down to 1.7 billion ISK again... oh well!

Enjoy!

Yeah, I noticed....Sent ya a Thank You Evemail :)....but, since it was a one day pass, I guess you didnt get it...soooooo, Thanks Dude. Every bit of ISK helps :)

oldpablo

Supreme [H]ardness

eggrock

Supreme [H]ardness
Details for noobs (with no YouTube access?) Was there some friendly fire with the bombs?

oldpablo

Supreme [H]ardness
Details for noobs (with no YouTube access?) Was there some friendly fire with the bombs?

I think we lost only one bomber to friendly fire in that engagement, but we've done so many I don't recall. The usual is to not lose any, we've been pretty precise with a great FC.

eggrock

Supreme [H]ardness
Roaming SB gangs sound like a hellacious lot of fun and the skill/fitting requirements don't look too bad either. (No Concussion bomb on the Manty that was lost?)

oldpablo

Supreme [H]ardness
Roaming SB gangs sound like a hellacious lot of fun and the skill/fitting requirements don't look too bad either. (No Concussion bomb on the Manty that was lost?)

We all use the same bomb type since they don't kill each other up to a certain number of bombs. If we all used our own racial type the bombs would all kill each other and only one or two would end up hitting.

Thuleman

Supreme [H]ardness
Tbh, I can't imagine that the SBs won't see a nerf soon(tm). Either that or cloakers as a whole will see a nerf via system upgrades or something. The whole cloaking fa***try is totally out of hand imho. Flying a cloaker is zero risk these days unless one is a total noob or had just extremely bad luck.

SAW

[H]ard|Gawd
Watched those videos....I honestly cant really tell whats going on. Why are they all zoomed out so far? I couldnt see the effects of the smart bombs going off.

The last video pretty cool...Wasnt too thrilled seeing a quote from Allah though....but meh, its just a game, ehh.

mashie

Mawd Gawd
Watched those videos....I honestly cant really tell whats going on. Why are they all zoomed out so far? I couldnt see the effects of the smart bombs going off.
It's not smart bombs, it's bombs. Smart bombs affect an area around a ship, bombs fly 30km in the direction the ship is pointing and then explode hitting anything within 15km from it.

The last video pretty cool...Wasnt too thrilled seeing a quote from Allah though....but meh, its just a game, ehh.
That's Goons for you, welcome to EVE. ;)

oldpablo

Supreme [H]ardness

That's exactly why we do it. If nobody got all mad about it we'd have to change up tactics again. :p

oldpablo

Supreme [H]ardness
Tbh, I can't imagine that the SBs won't see a nerf soon(tm). Either that or cloakers as a whole will see a nerf via system upgrades or something. The whole cloaking fa***try is totally out of hand imho. Flying a cloaker is zero risk these days unless one is a total noob or had just extremely bad luck.

It's actually very difficult to pull this off so it really doesn't need to be balanced. A lot of that wasn't just good bombing, it was inept tactics by the opposing force that continually grouped up for us. And it's still very easy to die in a cloaked ship in 0.0 with bubblers, empire is safer of course but then it's supposed to be.