The Matrix 4K Blu-ray Announced

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Warner Bros. has announced that The Matrix will be available on 4K Blu-ray starting May 22. This is expected to be the film’s definitive release, as it incorporates a brand-new remaster, as well as a newly remixed Dolby Atmos track.

In the near future, a computer hacker named Neo discovers that all life on Earth may be nothing more than an elaborate facade created by a malevolent cyber-intelligence, for the purpose of placating us while our life essence is "farmed" to fuel the Matrix's campaign of domination in the "real" world. He joins like-minded Rebel warriors Morpheus and Trinity in their struggle to overthrow the Matrix.

Timeless classic.
Instant buy.
Now I need an HDR screen :(
My GFX card is a Polaris so I think I am ready on the computer side.

Fuck yeah you tell'em. Be right back, gonna go rewind my VHS tapes.

Honestly though, at normal viewing distances and normal screen sizes, I can't tell the difference between 1080p and 4k, at least not in movies, and I do feel like if people are honest with themselves, the same applies to them, unless they ahve some unusual setup where they sit super close, or have an enormous projector.

So, it would feel like I'm paying again for the same thing without improvement :p

Better be 4K with HDR. I'm not buyinganother version after this ....

... who am I kidding. I probably will.

/goes to count diffferent versions of Matrix / LeonThe Professional / Fifth element / Star Wars / indy Jones ...

And in a few years an 8k, then a 10k and so on and so on, anyways to get people to spend money for the same thing over and over..

Timeless classic.
Instant buy.
Now I need an HDR screen :(
My GFX card is a Polaris so I think I am ready on the computer side.

Hate to break it to you, but the only platform currently supported for 4k uhd bl ray is using intel integrated graphics on a 6000 series cpu or newer. No discrete gpu's are currently supported. Unless you're a hardened criminal and rip themovie yourself, of course.

Hate to break it to you, but the only platform currently supported for 4k uhd bl ray is using intel integrated graphics on a 6000 series cpu or newer. No discrete gpu's are currently supported. Unless you're a hardened criminal and rip themovie yourself, of course.

Yeah, it's pretty garbage. For the cost of a 4K internal drive you can just buy a 4K dedicated player, anyway.

Since I didn't care for it in SD, somehow I doubt 4k will make it better...still if it was cheap enough (like $7) at some point might give it a try (assuming it could be ripped).

My DVD version does not. I know the later sequels did, but the Matrix DVD did not.

Interesting, they made the scenes outside the Matrix less blue and the scenes in more green. Guess I never noticed, it always looked green to me. Must be the Mandela effect.

Last edited:
Woah indeed. Let's see... bought the first one on DVD. Got the trilogy on DVD as a gift. Bought the trilogy on BD (because it was on sale and cost as much as just #1, under $20)... not buying this again.

First one was great, revolutionary, and a great soundtrack. Reloaded was.... not great, but had some good fight scenes and a decent soundtrack. Revolution was just bad. Not "The Last Jedi" bad, but kind of sad compared to the first one.

I've seen the first one at least 15 times, and every now and then... if I get super drunk or "elevated" I'll stick in bluray and rock out.

I had hoped the Wachowski's would strike gold again, but it hasn't happened. V for Vendetta was "OK" and just forget about the rest. Also, the brothers became sisters. Not that there is anything wrong with that....

Keanu has at least had some good movies since then. Maybe not the best acting but he seems to have found his niche... killing people in slo mo and/or with pencils.

I'd pay to see it again in a limited theatrical release - just for the Dolby Atmos. The new Blade Runner sounded great in Atmos.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Oh for fuck's sake. How many times will I buy this movie? 4K, 8K......and on and on and on. What resolution do they record the original on?

Oh for fuck's sake. How many times will I buy this movie? 4K, 8K......and on and on and on. What resolution do they record the original on?
With 35mm they usually can scan for 4k and 6-8k if it's good enough.
70mm film and similar size is fine for 16k. So some of the good stuff will be fine in future ;) Can't wait to see Baraka in 8k, have it in 4k downscaled BR currently it's pretty glorious for 1080p.

After seeing new blade runner in 4k this is a must see.

With 35mm they usually can scan for 4k and 6-8k if it's good enough.
70mm film and similar size is fine for 16k. So some of the good stuff will be fine in future ;) Can't wait to see Baraka in 8k, have it in 4k downscaled BR currently it's pretty glorious for 1080p.

After seeing new blade runner in 4k this is a must see.

Don't get me wrong, this will be in my collection. But dammit. Just....arrrg.

I have It on VHS still, and A 6 head VCR which plays practically DVD quality.

I'll buy it.
Just like I bought the 100 remastered re-releases of Star Wars.

Yeah, it's pretty garbage. For the cost of a 4K internal drive you can just buy a 4K dedicated player, anyway.
Yeah that's the way it was back when Blu-ray came out originally too. The big difference this time is the proprietary MS crap being tied to the OS. Really miss the old days when hardware and the right playback software was all you needed. So damn convoluted now you can't even stream 4k without many strings attached.

I have It on VHS still, and A 6 head VCR which plays practically DVD quality.
Had a friend that had a digital VCR towards the end of the format and I was pretty impressed at the quality.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
I'll probably get the first one. It was one of the last movies that I saw 3 times in the theater. The other two were a mixed bag at best for me. I agree with everyone else about hoping they do a proper remaster/transfer for this one. HDR could really be a game changer for the many dark scenes and improve the overall color gamut.

Or whichever asstart in WB whom loves adding green color grading to every HD release they've had. After getting the Matrix and LOTR collection on Bluray and finding everything looked.... green, I stopped buying media and haven't resumed it since.

Are they mastering it slightly green to compensate for the usual 'blueness' of LED backlighting? Movies on my old cathode backlit LCD are looking a little different now.

Back