The highly rated HP Pavilion Slimline PC thread

One is ground.

At any rate, larger antenna (space) = good.

I originally thought it was a ground too. If you look at the wire, it has a central conducting wire surrounded by an insulating dielectric material surrounded by a wire shield a la coax. If you look on the front of the case, the shielding wire is soldered at one point to provide ground and the central wire soldered elsewhere on thingamajig. If you look at how it is connected to the circuit board, it is exactly the same as the antenna on the back. It is too complex to be a simple ground. Halsey was right, it is an antenna also.

Monkish, where did you get the bios version from?

Here

Whether this will run from any other OS other than Vista I have no idea. But because I was downgrading from Vista to WinXP, I could run this before wiping the Vista installation.

Guys, allow me to clarify a few things. There are not two antennas. That grounded wire is the antenna. It leads directly to that unscrew-able / removable "antenna mount" (I just made up that terminology :p) that sticks out on the back - but they are one and the same. I suspect the only reason they even have that removable "antenna mount" stick out there is for increased signal reception - which sometimes isn't even necessary. Given the right conditions, you can actually unscrew the antenna mount in the back and still have wireless connectivity.

Guys, allow me to clarify a few things. There are not two antennas. That grounded wire is the antenna. It leads directly to that unscrew-able / removable "antenna mount" (I just made up that terminology :p) that sticks out on the back - but they are one and the same. I suspect the only reason they even have that removable "antenna mount" stick out there is for increased signal reception - which sometimes isn't even necessary. Given the right conditions, you can actually unscrew the antenna mount in the back and still have wireless connectivity.

I assumed the wires were switchable... lol

You are right of course about removing the antenna from the back and still having a wireless connection. You can also remove the entire "antenna mount" from the back of the case including its short coaxial pigtail from the 5188-7736 circuit board and still have a wireless connection. This communication is evidence of this. No ethernet connection, no antenna-in-back connection: just the long coaxial wire leading and attached to the thingamajig on the front.

Last edited:
Nice thread! Hoping I can get some advice from the Pros.

I have an S3100 with a dead mobo (no video). I don't think I want to upgrade. Just want it working with the original AMD 4000+ CPU. I'll add a new HDD and use W7.

I see three boards available with the mini ATX connectors.
M2NC51-AR http://cgi.ebay.com/Asus-M2NC51-AR-...ITX-Motherboard-/300452493965?pt=Motherboards
M2NC61-AR http://cgi.ebay.com/ASUS-M2N61-AR-Replacement-HP-M2NC51-AR-5189-0683-/280542830687?pt=Motherboards
A8N-BR http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320572354790&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNAFP:US:1123

I'm pretty sure that these will all work and that all can be used with the OEM 170W PSU that has the miniATX. Since so many of the original boards went bad, I am wondering how long the replacements hold up.

Has anyone used any of these boards in a repair that is still working?
Just concerned about throwing too much money at a fix.
Big thanks for any help you can give me.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
C61 is the final revision HP used. It uses a chipset revision that ISN'T prone to dying, and a few other things I forgot about (too long ago).

Just want to report that I have successfully transplanted most components to a new case + new motherboard.

See post #12 / #13

It costs me less than $100 (excluding software) and I get a more capable system.

First, I wanna say this is the BEST THREAD EVER. Anyway, I have a slimline s3500f and was looking into upgrading to an Ati Radeon HD 4550, but I have a question. This card, from what I've seen, can apparently run games like Bioshock and Street Fighter IV on max settings. If I upgrade to this card will my computer be able to run those games on max settings?

My specs are:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual core processor 5400+ 2.80 GHz
4.00 GB of ram
500GB HDD
ATI Radeon HD 4550 512MB (Or at least i think it's 512)

Thanks a bunch in advance!

It all depends on the resolution you want to run those agmes at. Low resolution, you may be fine. High resolution wull bring on the hurt for the HD4550 - which is freakishly powerful for such a small GPU.

Hello guys im hoping someone can help.

My pavilion slim line s3541.uk (im in England) has died and despite trawling the net ive only found you guys with knowledge on this systems (been reading this tread and wow...you know your stuff).

Basically machine is totally life less....not even a flicker of life,i assume its the psu (no one locally can test it due too an uncommon model) however had no luck finding a replacement.

Been told it could possibly be the motherboard....any advice on how too check.

Huge thank you in advance.

Stu.

You have this mobo
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3755534#N1297

try shorting (on the PSU's 24pin connector) the green pin (pin 14) with one of the ground pins (any of the backs). If the PSU fan spins up, the PSU is likely not at fault.

Oh, and welcome to the [H] :D

Thank you my friend...i will try now,whats the best way too short them.....not tried before..?

I did have a look for a new members section,couldnt see one.

Thanks for the welcome...must say the site looks awesome.

Last edited:
Thank you my friend...i will try now,whats the best way too short them.....not tried before..?

I did have a look for a new members section,couldnt see one.

Thanks for the welcome...must say the site looks awesome.
I'm sorry for the late reply.
Plug in PSU, use bare paperclip, and insert one end into the pin with a green wire, one into any pin with a black wire. Pin 14 (green) is a sensory wire, which tells the PSU to goto "on" mode - which entails spining up the PSU fan.

As so:
atx-power-bypass.jpg

Sadly nothing....no hint of life.

Ive taken the psu out now model number is PC6034

Anyone else expierence problems with there psu.?

Also are these available over there as cannot find here in uk.

It all depends on the resolution you want to run those agmes at. Low resolution, you may be fine. High resolution wull bring on the hurt for the HD4550 - which is freakishly powerful for such a small GPU.

By low resolution you mean like 800x600? Sorry i'm kinda new lol.

By low resolution you mean like 800x600? Sorry i'm kinda new lol.
1280x1024, it's the size I had for a long time with the HD4350 in my Slimline. I play mostly RTS games, but I could also play Crysis at min settings @800x600 with about 20fps, otherwise.
hi everyone. i was just wondering if the Sparkle GeForce 9800 GT is still the best low profile gaming card?

SparkleGTS250:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187098&Tpk=sparkle gts250

NewEgg buggered the specs, trust the Sparkle (tw) site instead.

PowerColor is comming out, in a bit, with a low profile HD5770, which draws less power, and is slightly faster than a GTX260. Though we don't know when that one is launching.

So I'm looking to add a video card to my s5280t. Based on what I've read in this extremely long thread, it seems like my computer has a 220 or 230 watt PSU (it looks like the 270 watt PSU wasn't used in this model).

It seems like the Galaxy GeForce 9600 GT lp lp was the best video card that could be used without requiring a PSU upgrade. will the regular low profile version work as well? I found it at tigerdirect: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5271084&CatId=3670

If not, can someone point me in the right direction of the proper card? I can't seem to find that version.

As a last question - do our slimlines use MicroATX motherboards? I've also just been thinking about swapping the whole computer into a regular tower (I didn't really want a slimline to begin with for upgrade purposes...but it was a good deal). The video cards are cheaper and I'd be able to add more drives in the future.

Really, all I want to do is be able to play Starcraft 2 at medium-to-high settings, (I can only do low with the on-board video currently).

Can a 180W HP P/S for Intel based Slimline s3000 series be used to replace a 160W HP P/S used in AMD based Slimline s3000 series? Are there additional wires in the 160W P/S that is needed by AMD Slimline?

Yes, the 180W and 160W have identical connectivity functionality. The sole difference is the 12V rail (and thus, the total wattage rating).

So I'm looking to add a video card to my s5280t. Based on what I've read in this extremely long thread, it seems like my computer has a 220 or 230 watt PSU (it looks like the 270 watt PSU wasn't used in this model).

It seems like the Galaxy GeForce 9600 GT lp lp was the best video card that could be used without requiring a PSU upgrade. will the regular low profile version work as well? I found it at tigerdirect: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5271084&CatId=3670

If not, can someone point me in the right direction of the proper card? I can't seem to find that version.

As a last question - do our slimlines use MicroATX motherboards? I've also just been thinking about swapping the whole computer into a regular tower (I didn't really want a slimline to begin with for upgrade purposes...but it was a good deal). The video cards are cheaper and I'd be able to add more drives in the future.

Really, all I want to do is be able to play Starcraft 2 at medium-to-high settings, (I can only do low with the on-board video currently).

S5000 series slimines, like yours, are mATX boards with the bottom two slots blocked by the PSU. The mounting holes are the same, so you will be able to install the board into a mATX or ATX case (assuming the ATX case also has mATX-position standoffs).

I saw a post here mentioning someone who's IPILP-AR motherboard needed replacement because the PCI-E slot stopped working. The poster inferred it's a known problem. I have one that stopped working. At first I thought it might be the 180 watt PSU wasn't putting out enough power but I discovered the computer will boot using the intergrated video as long as no PCI-e graphics card is inserted.

I noticed that the 8500GT that came with the computer was obstruced with dust and had melted the plastic fan housing to the heat sink..

My goal is to resurrect this machine for use as an HTPC. I bought a Sapphire 5570 thinking that it was just the graphics card. The fan in the 5570 spins but the computer will not even POST. I tried switching the BIOS from Onboard to PCI and back but that didn't help. Also removed battery for 5 minutes

I'm pretty sure that there is no magical fix for this problem but if anyone knows of one it would be great. My troubleshooting skills tell me that if the computer suddenly stopped booting because of severe overheating of the 8500GT then no reset procedure is going to bring back PCI-e slot functionality.

I'm considering ordering a new replacment IPILP-AR from ebay. At that point I'm putting a tad more into this than I expected but I've set up a few of these HP Slimlines for customers and really like how they look and how quiet they are. This thread is a wonderful source of information about them.

TIA

It might boot without PCI-e card but is it stable? Try a burn-in test.

Also, you can try disconnecting all peripherals - DVD, HDD, USB devices and see if you can get past the POST w/ the 5570.

Tried pulling all devices - still no video from 5570. Pulled the motherboard out. I can see what happened. The nvidia 8500GT that came with the unit overheated and I believe the heat seeped into the motherboard which has brown miscolorations surrounding the PCIe slot and in that corner. Hopefully should be good to go replacement board.

Anyone want this motherboard (works with intergrated video - no PCIe graphics)? I installed Windows 7 and have been using the machine for days. It works fine. It's stable. I don't want any money for it, maybe just paypal for shipping.

Tried pulling all devices - still no video from 5570. Pulled the motherboard out. I can see what happened. The nvidia 8500GT that came with the unit overheated and I believe the heat seeped into the motherboard which has brown miscolorations surrounding the PCIe slot and in that corner. Hopefully should be good to go replacement board.

Anyone want this motherboard (works with intergrated video - no PCIe graphics)? I installed Windows 7 and have been using the machine for days. It works fine. It's stable. I don't want any money for it, maybe just paypal for shipping.

Snap a pic, we may be able to help (then you will have an excellent backup board, too :D).

Also, I was curious, and decided to check:

Archaea 630
jeremyshaw 349
beowulf7 149
drpenicilin 135
the.ronin 118
omjeremy 111
Halsey 97
360Spider 97

:eek: This thread is big, lol.

The pictures are fine. There is nothing wrong with the board from a visual standpoint, however, this may not mean much to you, as it's still broken.

The brown marks (that I can see) are on unetched traces, so they are not going to affect anything.

I am not sure how important the m/b is to you. I keep hearing about baking a circuit board in conventional oven and it fixed problems. As a last resort, you could give it a try.

Hi there, i'm a follower of this thread for a long time. I'm from Portugal but it comes a time when all of us need some help. I was a proud owner of a s3230.pt (s3000 series) HP slimline. A while ago the PSU fried and my option was a new case with a new 450W PSU. I've installed the micro ATX board of the old Slimline in the case but i've come to a stall with the power connector.

My mobo is this one:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=pt&dlc=pt&cc=pt&docname=c00916910

The power connector on the new PSU is a 20 pin + 4 pin. On the mobo there's a micro ATX connector with 24 Pin.
I've read in the forums that some adapters/converters may resolve this issue, but here in Portugal or even in Europe I can't seem to find them.

Is there's any adapter or converter that is sold worlwide? or any shop that sells them? What is the specific name of the converter or the brand that distribute them?

I'd appreciate all the help you can give...

By the way...2 other questions:
1- The wifi adapter with the antenna...I can't seem to find any connector on the mobo to connect it's power wire.
2- The cooling fan that came with the unit is from ASUS and i've removed it to clean it but it's huge and it doesn't seem to have a great power for cooling the system...is it important to maintain it or can I use other one attached in the back of the case and connect it to the system fan connector?

Once again thanks a lot in advance and excuse my gramatical errors if there's is any...

Hi there, i'm a follower of this thread for a long time. I'm from Portugal but it comes a time when all of us need some help. I was a proud owner of a s3230.pt (s3000 series) HP slimline. A while ago the PSU fried and my option was a new case with a new 450W PSU. I've installed the micro ATX board of the old Slimline in the case but i've come to a stall with the power connector.

My mobo is this one:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=pt&dlc=pt&cc=pt&docname=c00916910

The power connector on the new PSU is a 20 pin + 4 pin. On the mobo there's a micro ATX connector with 24 Pin.
I've read in the forums that some adapters/converters may resolve this issue, but here in Portugal or even in Europe I can't seem to find them.

Is there's any adapter or converter that is sold worlwide? or any shop that sells them? What is the specific name of the converter or the brand that distribute them?

I'd appreciate all the help you can give...

By the way...2 other questions:
1- The wifi adapter with the antenna...I can't seem to find any connector on the mobo to connect it's power wire.
2- The cooling fan that came with the unit is from ASUS and i've removed it to clean it but it's huge and it doesn't seem to have a great power for cooling the system...is it important to maintain it or can I use other one attached in the back of the case and connect it to the system fan connector?

Once again thanks a lot in advance and excuse my gramatical errors if there's is any...

ebay "HP ITX" you'll find the adaptor quickly that way (shipping will be the major pain, though - ships from Hong Kong)

1.) It plugs into half of one of the USB headers on your mobo
2.) I'm a bit out of practice with the Slimline, so forgive me as I pass this answer (till later tonight, when I have time research this a bit further). If it's a vertical HSF, then it should be using a normal 70mm fan, and you will be fine with whatever you want to do with it, also, it uses LGA775 mounts. ONLY if it is the vertical HSF type. Otherwise, just wait until I post a better followup tonight (or Archaea or Halsey sign back in :)).

Big thanks, i've gone to e-bay UK and got it from a seller that says it's from Hong Kong, but the shipping delivery it's from UK. I've payed 11 euros, more or less.

Awaiting the arrival.

Concerning the WIFI antenna, it also had 2 black wires but one of them was attached to the old PSU, will it function with only one of them?

awaiting your reply.

BIG BIG thanks.

Big thanks, i've gone to e-bay UK and got it from a seller that says it's from Hong Kong, but the shipping delivery it's from UK. I've payed 11 euros, more or less.

Awaiting the arrival.

Concerning the WIFI antenna, it also had 2 black wires but one of them was attached to the old PSU, will it function with only one of them?

awaiting your reply.

BIG BIG thanks.

Those two black wires were the antenna, right? One went to the forward antenna mount, another went to ANY other area of the case (normally, I see them mounted on the front).

Or did one of the cables actually plug into the PSU?

If they are antenna, then it would function with only one of them attached (or neigther, but wireless fidelity will drop MAJOR time).;

And the information I posted earlier on the HSF is correct.

... If it's a vertical HSF, then it should be using a normal 70mm fan, and you will be fine with whatever you want to do with it, also, it uses LGA775 mounts. ONLY if it is the vertical HSF type. ...

Yes the wifi antenna chip had 2 black wires coming out, one from the motherboard input hole connector to the chip (where the antenna screws in) and the other came from the PSU unit (the one I can't connect now). The other white wire I connected as you said in the USB connector in the motherboard.

Concerning the cooling system, from ASUS, it has a 70mm fan, but under it there is a sort of crossed support with a cooling horizontal system, and under this system it has some dry grease that I think tries to help in cooling the chipset.
Does this suppport with screws has to be maintained? or can I just remove all of it? I have a 80mm fan in the back of the case and there's just one way to go: maintaining one of the fan's working due to the limitation of connections in the mobo.
What do you think?

By the way what does HSF means?

Thanks.

Yes the wifi antenna chip had 2 black wires coming out, one from the motherboard input hole connector to the chip (where the antenna screws in) and the other came from the PSU unit (the one I can't connect now). The other white wire I connected as you said in the USB connector in the motherboard.

Concerning the cooling system, from ASUS, it has a 70mm fan, but under it there is a sort of crossed support with a cooling horizontal system, and under this system it has some dry grease that I think tries to help in cooling the chipset.

It's a vertical cooler. "Tower" as they are also called. The cooler will only cool the CPU, but in the s3000 chasis, it's also designed to move air through the case (as it's the only fan of any worth on the s3000 chasis).

It uses heatpipes to draw heat away from the CPU, and fins on those heatpipes to dissapate that heat. The fan helps dissapate that heat by moving air over it. The cross is just a mounting bracket, to attach the CPU cooler onto the motherboard.

Back