The highly rated HP Pavilion Slimline PC thread

It's a vertical cooler. "Tower" as they are also called. The cooler will only cool the CPU, but in the s3000 chasis, it's also designed to move air through the case (as it's the only fan of any worth on the s3000 chasis).

It uses heatpipes to draw heat away from the CPU, and fins on those heatpipes to dissapate that heat. The fan helps dissapate that heat by moving air over it. The cross is just a mounting bracket, to attach the CPU cooler onto the motherboard.
Do you think I should buy a new cooling system? Or maintain this one...?

By the way do you think a processor upgrade is a good idea also...it has a weak one that is a intel Dual CPU at 1.6Ghz. I thought of buying the intel core2duo 6600. Is it difficult to install? I would like to keep the Hard Drive unthouched without reeinstalling windows or anything...is it possible doing the chipset upgrade?

Thanks again.

Do you think I should buy a new cooling system? Or maintain this one...?

By the way do you think a processor upgrade is a good idea also...it has a weak one that is a intel Dual CPU at 1.6Ghz. I thought of buying the intel core2duo 6600. Is it difficult to install? I would like to keep the Hard Drive unthouched without reeinstalling windows or anything...is it possible doing the chipset upgrade?

Thanks again.

The existing one is fine, as long as it doesn't interfere with anything (components, airflow, etc) and kepps your CPU cool (below 70C is fine).

Your motherboard will support the E6600 upgrade, since it is a Conroe (just an Intel codename for initial "Core 2" series CPU) chip.

Your OS doesn't care about what the CPU is, since the CPU only processes data. Upgrading it just processes data faster.

Though, I've had a 1.8GHz E6320 before. Upgrading the CPU to a E7400 (2.4GHz) didn't do much to make my system "faster". However, upgrading my IDE HDD to a much faster SATA drive, improved the speed of my machine greately. In modern systems, the storage subsystem is often the weakpoint. Just a note (if you have an old HDD).

Not to say a CPU is useless, since you have the Pentium E2140, which isn't a fast CPU in any way.

So in your case, I'd recommending upgrading the CPU, then deciding if you want to upgrade the HDD to a large capacity one (which will be faster).

Once again lots of thanks. I will upgrade the CPU and I'll judge by your words the end results...

Concerning the CPU cooler I think it does affect the airflow, it's too big and it seems to constrain the air to the back of this new Box and interferes directly with a special vent that the case has in the side.

I will try and substitute this one by other i've seen from Arctic Cooling and also put a new back case fan connected directly to the PSU (with mollex connector) to generate a better air flow inside this new Case.

What do you think?

Hello everyone. I searched throughout the thread and couldn't find a solution to the current Slimline problem I have, so I decided to make a post hoping someone could help me. You see, this Slimline model came with the stock Intel CPU heatsink, which blows air upwards to the lateral panel of the case, instead of to the rear like other Slimline heatsinks I've seen here. I recently upgraded the video card and wanted to place a 120mm fan on the lateral panel to blow cool air into it, but the problem is that I can't with this version of the CPU heatsink.

Does anyone know any place where I can find a rear blowing CPU heatsink that will fit on the Slimline? Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Hello everyone. I searched throughout the thread and couldn't find a solution to my Slimline problem, so I decided to make a post hoping someone could help me. You see, my Slimline model came with the stock Intel CPU heatsink, which blows air upwards to the lateral panel of the case, instead of to the rear like other Slimline heatsinks I've seen here. I recently upgraded my video card and wanted to place a 120mm fan on the lateral panel to blow cool air into it, but the problem is that I can't with this version of the CPU heatsink.

Does anyone know any place where I can find a rear blowing CPU heatsink that will fit on the Slimline? I'm even willing to buy the stock one, so long it blows to the rear of the case. Thanks for the help!

do you have a s5000 series slimline? That's how the handle cooling, and they are rather decent at that.

I guess I haev some front page change sugestions for Archaea, too.

It's actually a Latin America only version of the Slimline, I can't remember the exact model number but it ends with LA. The heatsink is exactly like this:

images

I put a Sparkle 270 PSU in it, and a Sparkle 9800GT. To cool it I also modded the case and placed a 120mm fan on the side that blows directly to the GPU, much like the first post's recommendation. The thing is that there is a little overlap between the CPU's fan blowing out and the 120mm fan blowing in, so I thought if I could get a rear exhaust heatsink for the CPU the airflow would be better?

Also, do you by chance know what's the heavy gaming temperature for the Sparkle 9800GT and the Core 2 Duo processor? I've seen the cores spike to 60°C while playing Starcraft 2. The GPU gets to around 70-75°C. Thanks!

It's actually a Latin America only version of the Slimline, I can't remember the exact model number but it ends with LA. The heatsink is exactly like this:

images

I put a Sparkle 270 PSU in it, and a Sparkle 9800GT. To cool it I also modded the case and placed a 120mm fan on the side that blows directly to the GPU, much like the first post's recommendation. The thing is that there is a little overlap between the CPU's fan blowing out and the 120mm fan blowing in, so I thought if I could get a rear exhaust heatsink for the CPU the airflow would be better?

Also, do you by chance know what's the heavy gaming temperature for the Sparkle 9800GT and the Core 2 Duo processor? I've seen the cores spike to 60°C while playing Starcraft 2. The GPU gets to around 70-75°C. Thanks!

Hello,

that is either a Dell Slim, or a S5000 seris HP Sline. The easy way to tell?

It's using a mATX motherboard, instead of a smaller mITX or DTX motherboard.

Is there a cooling fan (by default) in the unpictured corner there the PSU and the DVD drive meet? If so, than it's a definately S5000 series slimline, they are newer than most of the slimlines discussed here.

65C for a C2D is fine. Their max temps range around 90-100C. Same case with the 9800gt, who's max temp is 105C. Even in a large case, it's hard to get a 9800gt (G92) cooler than 75C with stock cooling (refering to the reference nVidia fullheight HSF for the 8800gt/9800gt).

You're right that's not the Slimline, but the CPU Heatsink is pretty much the same; It looks like one of those stock Intel heatsinks but with a different fan on top.That heatsink was the only active cooling component in it before I put the 120mm fan. The model is S3420LA. I'm sorry I couldn't give it before, I didn't have it with me.

What I was thinking is if I switch to one of those rear exhaust heatsinks, I could place another 120mm fan blowing air directly into the CPU and also place a rear exhaust fan to get the hot air out.

And again, thanks a lot!

Hello again,

im putting a 9800gt in my slimline, and i was thinking of mounting 3 - 80mm fans inside at the bottom of the case. Will that work and will half a inch be enough for intake?

Edit: and yes jermey it's me! i bought the card and everything but i havnt got the chance to intall everything yet.

Last edited:
Hello all,

I have a HP slimline model S3681d (Malaysia and Indonesia model)

This original model spec:-
180W
Core 2 Duo E7300 (W) 2.66 GHz (65W)
NVIDIA GeForce 7100 / NVIDIA nForce 630i - built in Irvine motherboard
4GB DDR2 6400 RAM (2X2)
Dedicated graphic card - Nvidia Geforce 9300
Hauppage TV card

After used for almost a year and 1 month, I change the Vista OS to Win 7 ulimate.
A month and so, problem occurs which I cannot restart my desktop. I thought it was because of the WIn 7 problem...But after I install back to original windows vista Home premium. Still problem occurs. I checked the hardware - I found my 9300 card problem. So, I switched to onboard graphic before I buy a new graphic card.

Based on this forum, I buy Sapphire HD4550. Just received yesterday. But, when I installed the card, after a while running the card, memory dump happen to my system.

My thinking either the power problem (based on this forum) or the graphic card is too hot because the 4550 have no fan only having heat sink.

If based on this forum, I should not have power problem because I already taken off the docking bay and disabled my firewire.

So I assume maybe the graphinc card too hot. I think this because when I try to test using the 3d benchmark and the window rating ration, when it test with 3D, the memory system will be dump and it will automatically restart.

What all of you think?

All your help is really appreciated.

So, after upgrade, my current system as below:-

180W
4GB DDR2 6400 RAM (2X2)
Dedicated graphic card - Sapphire ATI HD 4550
Hauppage TV card
Windows 7 ultimate

I have another question, why everybody only upgraded the PSU? Is changing the case cannot fit with this type of motherboard?
Sorry if I asked the same question in previous post.

Hopefully somebody can help me...
Thank you...

Last edited:
Hey guys, haven't been on in a while. Just wanted to report on my findings after a few months of s5000 upgrade to new PSU and 9800GT.

The s5000 series slimline can't run the 9800GT in performance mode without an exhaust fan, casemod, or without significant proximity to a A/C.

The 9800GT can run for about 30-60 minutes in a modern FPS with 75 degree ambient air and default cooling. After that you get random glitches on the video display.

Moving the case close to an A/C stopped the glitching. But you can't count on direct 70degree air all the time. Tried an external fan blowing on the case, that stopped the glitching as well - but there is typical fan noise and you might not have the space for a fan on your desk.

The real solution would be a casemod and external fan, or an exhaust fan on the unused PCI slot. The heat is very localized by the card, and moving air from (or into) that region should be all that's necessary. It's a shame really, the s5000 case has a ton of venting, but NONE over the PCI slots...

Still looking for an external PCI low profile exhaust.

---

Note that the system does not glitch in 3D apps like Max/Cinema4D, or at the desktop. Also does not glitch during HD video playback or web HD video playback.

Hello again,

Regarding my Sapphire update problem with my system.

Yesterday I have troubleshoot by take out all the hardware one by one and put it back again one by one to check the cause of the memory dump.

Then after a while, I think it is because of my Sapphire HD4550 becoming too hot when using excessive 3D testing (Benchmark3D) . When I used win7 rating assessment, it works fine. So I was thinking I cannot used this for 3D function heavily. That is my solution.

Then I try to reformat my system and install back win 7 ultimate in my desktop. After finish installation of the windows. I install my Avast antivirus then set a boot up scan. When it start to scan before entering windows, suddenly, it happen again - a memory dump. The computer restart. When it reach windows, I try again to test my system using Win 7 rating assessment. It is ok.

So, for the sake of testing, I try to restart again. It happen again - the restart give a blank on my monitor (no bios start-up or HP logo). I try to reset the system by pushing the power button for more than 30 sec. Wait a while, the power is on but the screen is still black. I take out TV card and the HD4550 card and connect my monitor to the onboard graphic, still nothing happens. I check the monitor, I take out the RGB cable, in the monitor appear no signal means the monitor is ok.

So, hard reset the system and start toubleshoot from the start. Still nothing happens.

Now taking out my CPU. But, I don`t have a thermal paste. So, now just waiting for the paste to arrive before reconnect back my desktop.

If still having problem, I just buy a second hand motherboard (matx or atx), buy new casing with power supply and take out everything from HP motherboard and put it on new system.

Any suggestion regarding my cases or problem before I proceed to buy a new system either second or new one?

This is continuation from my last thread. This is really frustrating...

Regards everybody....

You're right that's not the Slimline, but the CPU Heatsink is pretty much the same; It looks like one of those stock Intel heatsinks but with a different fan on top.That heatsink was the only active cooling component in it before I put the 120mm fan. The model is S3420LA. I'm sorry I couldn't give it before, I didn't have it with me.

What I was thinking is if I switch to one of those rear exhaust heatsinks, I could place another 120mm fan blowing air directly into the CPU and also place a rear exhaust fan to get the hot air out.

And again, thanks a lot!
Well, as I mentioned earlier, both temps are perfectly fine. My i7 (admittedly overclocked) 930 @ 3.6GHz runs about 72C with H50 attached to it. My HD5870 runs 83C in the stock fan profile. About 91C if I have it in crossfire (only have enough space to sandwich the boards, lol...:().
Hello again,

im putting a 9800gt in my slimline, and i was thinking of mounting 3 - 80mm fans inside at the bottom of the case. Will that work and will half a inch be enough for intake?

Edit: and yes jermey it's me! i bought the card and everything but i havnt got the chance to intall everything yet.
I think 60-70mm fans will fit, I haven't tried anything really fancy, yet. Archaea mentioned a single exhaust fan would already help immensely, as this is a rather airflow-channeled case.
Hello all,

I have a HP slimline model S3681d (Malaysia and Indonesia model)

This original model spec:-
180W
4GB DDR2 6400 RAM (2X2)
Dedicated graphic card - Nvidia Geforce 9300
Hauppage TV card

After used for almost a year and 1 month, I change the Vista OS to Win 7 ulimate.
A month and so, problem occurs which I cannot restart my desktop. I thought it was because of the WIn 7 problem...But after I install back to original windows vista Home premium. Still problem occurs. I checked the hardware - I found my 9300 card problem. So, I switched to onboard graphic before I buy a new graphic card.

Based on this forum, I buy Sapphire HD4550. Just received yesterday. But, when I installed the card, after a while running the card, memory dump happen to my system.

My thinking either the power problem (based on this forum) or the graphic card is too hot because the 4550 have no fan only having heat sink.

If based on this forum, I should not have power problem because I already taken off the docking bay and disabled my firewire.

So I assume maybe the graphinc card too hot. I think this because when I try to test using the 3d benchmark and the window rating ration, when it test with 3D, the memory system will be dump and it will automatically restart.

What all of you think?

All your help is really appreciated.

So, after upgrade, my current system as below:-

180W
4GB DDR2 6400 RAM (2X2)
Dedicated graphic card - Sapphire ATI HD 4550
Hauppage TV card
Windows 7 ultimate

I have another question, why everybody only upgraded the PSU? Is changing the case cannot fit with this type of motherboard?
Sorry if I asked the same question in previous post.

Hopefully somebody can help me...
Thank you...

Hello again,

Regarding my Sapphire update problem with my system.

Yesterday I have troubleshoot by take out all the hardware one by one and put it back again one by one to check the cause of the memory dump.

Then after a while, I think it is because of my Sapphire HD4550 becoming too hot when using excessive 3D testing (Benchmark3D) . When I used win7 rating assessment, it works fine. So I was thinking I cannot used this for 3D function heavily. That is my solution.

Then I try to reformat my system and install back win 7 ultimate in my desktop. After finish installation of the windows. I install my Avast antivirus then set a boot up scan. When it start to scan before entering windows, suddenly, it happen again - a memory dump. The computer restart. When it reach windows, I try again to test my system using Win 7 rating assessment. It is ok.

So, for the sake of testing, I try to restart again. It happen again - the restart give a blank on my monitor (no bios start-up or HP logo). I try to reset the system by pushing the power button for more than 30 sec. Wait a while, the power is on but the screen is still black. I take out TV card and the HD4550 card and connect my monitor to the onboard graphic, still nothing happens. I check the monitor, I take out the RGB cable, in the monitor appear no signal means the monitor is ok.

So, hard reset the system and start toubleshoot from the start. Still nothing happens.

Now taking out my CPU. But, I don`t have a thermal paste. So, now just waiting for the paste to arrive before reconnect back my desktop.

If still having problem, I just buy a second hand motherboard (matx or atx), buy new casing with power supply and take out everything from HP motherboard and put it on new system.

Any suggestion regarding my cases or problem before I proceed to buy a new system either second or new one?

This is continuation from my last thread. This is really frustrating...

Regards everybody....

Hello, and welcome to [H]!

May you try installing evga precision (it's evga's revision of Rivatuner - and with a simpler interface that is easier to use, IMO).

http://downloads.guru3d.com/EVGA-Precision-1.9.6_d2545.html

and it will monitor your temps. As long as your HD4550 stays under 100C (my HD4350 ran at 93C, tops), then you are fine. Anything over will cause problems.

gamedeveloper, your problem sounds similar to mine. My s3300t works fine until I put a GeForce G210 in it. I am pretty sure there is enough power to drive it. Slowly, over the course of a month, I notice some instability. I took out the G210 and go back to VGA. I thought I am out of the woods. Then after a few weeks, problems start popping up. Initially it is random freeze. Then eventually it will not boot up. Then not even POST.

I eventually replaced the motherboard/case/ps for $100.

So my conclusion is that adding a video card kills the Irvine-GL6E motherboard.

For you, you should possibly go the same route. There are plenty of Socket 775/DDR2 m/b options from $30 (VGA only, mATX) to $100 (HDMI, mini-ITX).

gamedeveloper, your problem sounds similar to mine. My s3300t works fine until I put a GeForce G210 in it. I am pretty sure there is enough power to drive it. Slowly, over the course of a month, I notice some instability. I took out the G210 and go back to VGA. I thought I am out of the woods. Then after a few weeks, problems start popping up. Initially it is random freeze. Then eventually it will not boot up. Then not even POST.

I eventually replaced the motherboard/case/ps for $100.

So my conclusion is that adding a video card kills the Irvine-GL6E motherboard.

For you, you should possibly go the same route. There are plenty of Socket 775/DDR2 m/b options from $30 (VGA only, mATX) to $100 (HDMI, mini-ITX).

yeah, I just upgraded my mATX E7200 setup to a mITX Zotac 9300 board. Does HP stock configure their Irvine board setups with PCIe GPU? Maybe there is a different BIOS, like the quad+acacia setup, lol.

HP does provide up to 9500GT (which is custom low profile for the slimline), AFAIK.

There are many happy Slimline users with video card, though. Anyway, if you can afford to reactivate Windows, getting a separate motherboard/case/ps is the way to go.

HP does provide up to 9500GT (which is custom low profile for the slimline), AFAIK.

There are many happy Slimline users with video card, though. Anyway, if you can afford to reactivate Windows, getting a separate motherboard/case/ps is the way to go.

9500gs, then :p

I'm gonna start betting on a different BIOS, but it could just be a fluke - I am sure a majority of followers on this thread never sign up to [H]ardOCP.

I was the one who put in the links with the huge (just removed them) photos of the motherboard that everyone agreed had no visual indication of a problem which turned out to be a correct analysis. There was nothing wrong with the motherboard. I ordered a new one on ebay from Digital Anny. The PCIe graphics didn't work on the new motherboard either.

I finally got a chance this weekend to try a different power supply. That also didn't help.

At this point I've decided that perhaps the "SAPPHIRE 100293L Radeon HD 5570 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Low Profile Ready Video Display Adapter" I bought from Newegg isn't compatible with the 3200t ? Does that make sense?

Great thread! I just came across it while researching some options for my hurtin' s3600t. I did find some good information in this thread but not all my answers yet.

I had started a recent thread at the HP Consumer Forums detailing my problems-- specifically hard drive replacement and cooling-- case and vga.

Someone [here] reported the same issue (and same exact picture of what I have) with my GeForce 9500GS, but in perusing the rest of the thread I couldn't see that he was ever answered or found a replacement fan. Unfortunately CompUSA and CircuitCity both folded here and all I have is that BestBuy, which no small VGA fans on their site or in stock else I would take the card there to check the mounting alignment. I am still not sure how to go about fixing the fan on my video card.

As for case cooling--I really like the case mod someone [here] made to his Slimline. It looks pretty sharp with the blue LEDs matching the power switch. I did some more searching about and found a case fan, which comes with a bezel and grill that I really like the looks of, but it's a 250mm and not a 120mm. Depending on if the 250mm measure the mounting holes or the outside tangents of the circle will say if it will fit or not. If the holes it's way too big; if the tangent it would fit pretty well I think.

If anyone has any information on replacing the stock 9500GS fan, or experience with the Rexflo fan; I'd really appreciate your input. Thanks in advance, and again-- great thread!

I was the one who put in the links with the huge (just removed them) photos of the motherboard that everyone agreed had no visual indication of a problem which turned out to be a correct analysis. There was nothing wrong with the motherboard. I ordered a new one on ebay from Digital Anny. The PCIe graphics didn't work on the new motherboard either.

I finally got a chance this weekend to try a different power supply. That also didn't help.

At this point I've decided that perhaps the "SAPPHIRE 100293L Radeon HD 5570 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Low Profile Ready Video Display Adapter" I bought from Newegg isn't compatible with the 3200t ? Does that make sense?

Do you have a lower power GPU to test out on it? It really could be the GPU gasping for power that is not there....

If not, if you are nearby, I can lend you one of my HD4350s, they DO work with AMD S3000 HP Slimlines with the 160W PSU - and everything from the Athlon X2 4200+ to the Phenom 9100e installed. And only sip some 22W - about half of the 40W limit that HP recommends in the official servicing guide.

Last edited:
Great thread! I just came across it while researching some options for my hurtin' s3600t. I did find some good information in this thread but not all my answers yet.

I had started a recent thread at the HP Consumer Forums detailing my problems-- specifically hard drive replacement and cooling-- case and vga.

If anyone has any information on replacing the stock 9500GS fan, or experience with the Rexflo fan; I'd really appreciate your input. Thanks in advance, and again-- great thread!

HP uses the same HSF on the 8500gt, and likely on all of their ASUS-derived lowprofile parts of that time period (2007-early2009).

Mounting points are rather standard for low end GPU. Most HSF designed with ONLY two mounting screws will work, though most will not be up to the task of cooling your card.

Archaea did that case mod - he is the founder of this thread :)

Oh, and welcome to the [H] :)

HP uses the same HSF on the 8500gt, and likely on all of their ASUS-derived lowprofile parts of that time period (2007-early2009).

Mounting points are rather standard for low end GPU. Most HSF designed with ONLY two mounting screws will work, though most will not be up to the task of cooling your card.

Archaea did that case mod - he is the founder of this thread :)

Oh, and welcome to the [H] :)

Thanks for the welcome. I think I am following you-- HSF = the video card fan? I'm not familiar with that acronym. So two hole ones like the Vantec or Evercool I found and mentioned in the HP thread should fit the card's existing mounts? As for being up to the task they do look comparable to the stock fan (though without that plastic housing), which afaik worked fine for me until it started making a grinding noise and then died. I say fine because at least until that happened I'd never had any stability issues though I am in the dark as to the running temps because I never monitored this until I started having an issue. As I mentioned I'd also like to open up the side of the case with a large fan, and I was possibly thinking about forgoing a vga fan replacement at all and looking into a slot cooler as the slot below the graphic card is free and some I've seen some that appear to be half-height and look as if they would fit. It also would be a quick and easy sort of fix. I may still go for one too, but figure I'd like to also get the GPU fan working again mostly because I hate seeing the fan still there not moving.;) I am wanting to do it on the cheap though which is why the min ones for $10 are appealing. Some of the VGA fans I've seen would cost me well over half the price of the Sparkle 9800GT a lot of folks here seem to like for their Slimline. Since my current card still works and is fine for the games I play and standard productivity apps I use, it doesn't make sense for me to buy a new one if I can keep this one going.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Those two should fit - but I think the 9500gs' cooler is already at max capacity, as is. Anything smaller would likely kill your 9500gs... IMO.

Those two should fit - but I think the 9500gs' cooler is already at max capacity, as is. Anything smaller would likely kill your 9500gs... IMO.
Thanks again for the reply. I'm trying hard not to be thick but apparently it's not working... :p

What do you mean by "the 9500gs cooler is already at max capacity, as is. Anything smaller would likely kill your 9500gs... ?" I am not sure what you mean by max capacity. From what I can tell these looked to be about the same size as the stock fan to me so I figured on comparable cooling. Are they smaller? They do not have the offset heat sink and plastic shroud that the stock unit does and I'm not even really sure where the GPU sits under that thing though it would make sense to be under the sink fins I am guessing. They do have cooling fins in a circular pattern around their fans. Do you think it would be better to see if I could remove the existing fan and try to replace that alone leaving the stock sink and shroud intact rather than trying to go with completely different after-market cooling?

Last edited:
Thanks again for the reply. I'm trying hard not to be thick but apparently it's not working... :p

What do you mean by "the 9500gs cooler is already at max capacity, as is. Anything smaller would likely kill your 9500gs... ?" I am not sure what you mean by max capacity. From what I can tell these looked to be about the same size as the stock fan to me so I figured on comparable cooling. Are they smaller? They do not have the offset heat sink and plastic shroud that the stock unit does and I'm not even really sure where the GPU sits under that thing though it would make sense to be under the sink fins I am guessing. The do have cooling fins in a circular pattern around their fans. Do you think it would be better to see if I could remove the existing fan and try to replace that alone leaving the stock sink and shroud intact rather than trying to go with completely different after-market cooling?

I dunno, it could work. The replacement coolers just look like (to me) they have very little heat dissipation surface area (heatsink fins), compared to the stock cooler.

Maybe I am wrong, though :p You never know until you see it for yourself :)

HSF does = Heatink + Fan :)

Thank you!

I think I will holding off on any vga cooler purchase until I get a chance to pull my card, remove the plastic shroud and thoroughly dedust and oil the stock fan. Maybe I can get it spinning again and if not, I can at least get some measurements more easily. If anyone has experience with this operation I'd love whatever pointers you have. For example, would something like that necessitate removing the HSF from the card entirely and would I need some new heat sink paste to reinstall it?

I am also still looking into case cooling options to increase airflow to sensitive components. I am buying a Caviar Black to replace my failed Barracuda and concerned about how much circulation is in the front of the case as I am thinking that may have led to the initial hard drive's early demise. Does anyone have any idea if a HD cooler would fit in a Slimline? Something like this one at Newegg?

I also wasn't sure if I should go with a side fan (and if so blowing in or out) or else stick to the more traditional cool air in low front-side, hot air out high back-side. I was thinking about possibly using three 40mm fans for this setup. I'd put two blowing out on the grill running vertically on the Slimline back adjacent to the motherboard's external connectors and put the third sucking in where the personal media bay is currently. I've never used the Personal Media Bay. It seems a nice idea but in pricing drives for it, it is far cheaper to go with an external SATA or USB disk for the MB:$ ratio. Has anyone tried anything like this?

I think I will holding off on any vga cooler purchase until I get a chance to pull my card, remove the plastic shroud and thoroughly dedust and oil the stock fan. Maybe I can get it spinning again and if not, I can at least get some measurements more easily. If anyone has experience with this operation I'd love whatever pointers you have. For example, would something like that necessitate removing the HSF from the card entirely and would I need some new heat sink paste to reinstall it?

I am also still looking into case cooling options to increase airflow to sensitive components. I am buying a Caviar Black to replace my failed Barracuda and concerned about how much circulation is in the front of the case as I am thinking that may have led to the initial hard drive's early demise. Does anyone have any idea if a HD cooler would fit in a Slimline? Something like this one at Newegg?

I also wasn't sure if I should go with a side fan (and if so blowing in or out) or else stick to the more traditional cool air in low front-side, hot air out high back-side. I was thinking about possibly using three 40mm fans for this setup. I'd put two blowing out on the grill running vertically on the Slimline back adjacent to the motherboard's external connectors and put the third sucking in where the personal media bay is currently. I've never used the Personal Media Bay. It seems a nice idea but in pricing drives for it, it is far cheaper to go with an external SATA or USB disk for the MB:$ ratio. Has anyone tried anything like this?

I removed my pocketdrive bay - HP discontinued the drives that were compatible with the HP Slimline's bay, at any rate.

There is no airflow to the HDD section, under the DVD. Technically, most of the air the PSU fan draws (50mm?) is from this section. However.... the PSU fan doesn't punch out any apreciable amount of airflow.

I removed my pocketdrive bay - HP discontinued the drives that were compatible with the HP Slimline's bay, at any rate.

There is no airflow to the HDD section, under the DVD. Technically, most of the air the PSU fan draws (50mm?) is from this section. However.... the PSU fan doesn't punch out any apreciable amount of airflow.
After taking another look I think I could go two ways on this. As I last mentioned I could remove the pocket media bay and fit in a 40mm fan vertically with airflow aimed to the rear. This would seem to aid the flow to the video card but with fans at the rear pulling I am not sure how much this airflow pattern would aid the internal hard drive. It would seem to flow diagonally to the rear and miss the internal drives in the top front of the case. If a hard drive cooler will fit in there then I wouldn't worry about getting air up there and likely go this way. Alternately it seems to me that I could also use the pocket media bay itself as a mount to put in a horizontal 80mm fan which would push airflow upwards to the internal drive area. The case has perforations along the bottom and lower edge which would allow decent intake. Pulling up from the bottom I'd probably stick a filter in, but that would get air up to the drives. I'm not sure how this would leave the video card, but it did do fine until its fan died so if I get its fan going again it should still be fine... though then I could also put in that side fan blowing in over the card to be sure. Decisions... decisions...

hi, i need some help with the 6 pin power connector for the gpu, i need the wire diagram, to make one,allready have the connector and pins
thanks
FrozenCPU_ConnectRight_6-pin_Female_PCI-Express_Power_Connector_Version_2_-_Black.html

I had been adjusting my TCP autotuning when shortly after, my USB Wireless g/b Network Adaptor suddenly became an "Unknown Device" in Device Manager and the network connection disappeared. Sometimes on a fresh unplug-the-power-supply reboot the NIC will work as before, but then after some time falls back into Unknown Device. Updating drivers through Device Manager while the NIC was recognized did not help. The network card is a thin circuit board inside the chasis with an external antenna. It did not seem loose when I examined it.

Any experience with this sort of problem or clues on how to solve it would be really appreciated.

My system is a 2-year old HP Pavilion Slimline s3600t PC running Vista64.

hi, i need some help with the 6 pin power connector for the gpu, i need the wire diagram, to make one,allready have the connector and pins
thanks
FrozenCPU_ConnectRight_6-pin_Female_PCI-Express_Power_Connector_Version_2_-_Black.html
http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/psu/116

I had been adjusting my TCP autotuning when shortly after, my USB Wireless g/b Network Adaptor suddenly became an "Unknown Device" in Device Manager and the network connection disappeared. Sometimes on a fresh unplug-the-power-supply reboot the NIC will work as before, but then after some time falls back into Unknown Device. Updating drivers through Device Manager while the NIC was recognized did not help. The network card is a thin circuit board inside the chasis with an external antenna. It did not seem loose when I examined it.

Any experience with this sort of problem or clues on how to solve it would be really appreciated.

My system is a 2-year old HP Pavilion Slimline s3600t PC running Vista64.

Try moving it's internal USB connection to the motherboard to another internal USB header.

Thanks, Jeremy!! Following your advice, I went to switch out the connection and found that the plug on the motherboard was loose. Tightening the connection has solved the issue.

Thanks, Jeremy!! Following your advice, I went to switch out the connection and found that the plug on the motherboard was loose. Tightening the connection has solved the issue.

You are welcome, and welcome to the [H]! :)

About a year ago, while upgrading my wife's s3600f to Windows 7 I made the mistake of updating the BIOS to the 5.23 version. I say mistake, because it rendered the DVD drive unreadable. I've tried resetting the BIOS using the onboard pins, and by removing the battery. This worked once, but on the next reboot the drive disappeared and I haven't been able to get the system to "see" it since then. I thought of going back to the prior BIOS, but I didn't back it up, and made the mistake of trusting a new version (I've always backed up and the past and never needed the backup, so thought I'd be fine this time).

HP's website offers only the 5.23, and customer service couldn't help, referring me to Best Buy, where I made the purchase. Best Buy told me their techs pull from the HP site, so I'm basically SOL. I tried an online scan and download site, and was offered a BIOS for a board with a VIA chipset (it's nVidia)

So, I'm wondering, does anyone here have a BIOS version prior to 5.23 for the nVidia chipset? If not, I guess I'm looking at another PC purchase, or at the very least a board replacement, which is a whole other issue as I'm not sure what non-Intel board would fit.

Thanks.

thank jeremy cable looks great, but need more help, when a turn on the computer I get a beep and black screen "no signal", someone know how to solve this please???
pc model: s3500f
psu: sparkle 270watts
gpu: sparkle 9800gt

thanks

Last edited:
Update to my earlier posts. I took the video card apart and cleaned out all the accumulated dust. I was hoping to lubricate the fan, but when I got to the back of it there was no plastic plug. Save a few small cutouts for some electronics it is a solid piece of plastic and I found no way to get to the fan's spindle. I took a couple of pictures of the fan itself and the disassembled HSF.

I reassembled it but the fan is still a problem. It spins only about half the time and only at half speed. When it isn't spinning I can usually kick start it with a spin by hand, but it isn't all that effective at cooling any more. The HP part for the entire VGA card is HP P/N 489577-001, but I just need a new fan. The diameter of the fan from blade-tip to blade-tip was 45mm. The mounting arms were in a Y shape and not any set uniform distance between screw holes. The foil circle on the bottom of the fan had a very faint number stamped but it was hard to make out. It seemed to be 0(or 8)3972. Googling for this wasn't any help. Googling 45mm fan reveals quite a few that could work-- though I might need to drill and tap new screw holes in the heat sink. I am not sure I have a tap that small or where to get one, so using the original holes would be ideal. I also am not sure what a "bury frame" is though a lot of fans mention this feature. So two questions---

1.) Anyone know what a "bury frame" is?

2.) Has anyone replaced the fan in a OEM 9500GS card similar to the HP 489577-001 (MSI 512MB Asus GeForce 9500GS PCI Epxress VGA Hdmi DVI Low Profile) and if so, what fan did you use?

Back