The highly rated HP Pavilion Slimline PC thread

Hi! Im a proud owner of an HP Slimline s3710la, and a medium gamer.
Here comes my question: I want to upgrade my ATI HD4550 to an HD5570 but im not sure if the PSU will be enough. Ive seen some options at newegg and tigerdirect, my option at newegg would be the HIS silence 5570 (fanless), and also ive seen this one at tigerdirect
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...sp?EdpNo=6076194&sku=H231-5570&srkey=H557FS1G
that is cheaper and has a fan, but on the info says: LOW PROFILE / NO but on the pictures shown and the model it is a low profile one.
I have 2 external 80mm fan connected to an additional 12v supply. GAMING!

I need your help.

PD: Ive test the PSU requirements and for the 5570, the test gives exactly the same wattage riquiered by my actual HD4550, so i dont know what to do.

My HP has a CORE 2 DUO e6550 and all the original parts of it.
3gb ram, 320HDD.....

Sorry bout my English XD

I have a Slimline s3300t that appears to be dying. A few days ago, I noticed the screen went blank and freezes. I thought it is the screen saver but it is not responding. Cool boot it and everything is okay. Today, it happened again and I noticed that I cannot even enter BIOS (screen at POST). I power it off and on again and this time there is not even a display and the fan is extremely loud.

What can I do about it?

hey first of all, this thread is the greatest thing since sliced bread for hp slimline owners. I referred to it many times over the last couple years that I have owned two slimilines - 3120n and 5310

Earlier this year I took my 3120n, installed Win7 and put it in the basement hooked up to my Samsung DLP 50". The results have been a little underwhelming.

1) It chugs terribly on every single piece of cover art. It takes 30s+ to load up about 100 movie covers, just to see the art. I have been told this can be fixed with a better graphics card - what do you guys think?

2) This past week I turned on basic cable to see if I could use the PC in place of a leased DVR. So far, the PC has gone into "scream" mode where the fans kick up to their highest level about every 2 minutes regardless whether something is playing or not. I can only assume the capture card is generating a ton of heat. Short of cracking open the case and installing a lot of DIY fans, is there a solve for this?

Heavily considering just going back to my PS3 to stream videos and just leasing a cable box from the cable company.

Any feedback / suggestions would be helpful.

Jason

I am thinking of transplanting the following parts of my dead slimline to another barebone. Is the CPU heatsink and fan standard? Will I be able to move it easily to another board?

C2D E4500, Heatsink & Fan
TV Tuner (PCIe-x1)
2GB (I have 3GB) of DDR2 DIMM RAM
DVD-RW
500GB SATA 3.0G HDD

Possible candidate Foxconn R10-G3

What do you guys think?

Have you considered a mini itx motherboard? Somewhere back someone posted replacing their Intel Slimline motherboard with a mini itx board on page 202 (FrEaKy I believe) in a slimline case. I personally replaced a half-functioning HematiteXL board with a $50 Zotac GF6100-E-E using all components of a HP s 3020n including the operating system (to my surprise).

Last edited:
Note: I obviously had to get an AMD cooler/heatsink instead of the stock Intel heatsink installed on all 3000 Slimlines including those with AMD CPUs. I had an InWin 300 watt power supply already installed so the special ATX adapter was no longer required. Once wire management problems were solved, worked fine.

Last edited:
Have you considered a mini itx motherboard? Somewhere back someone posted replacing their Intel Slimline motherboard with a mini itx board on page 202 (FrEaKy I believe) in a slimline case. I personally replaced a half-functioning HematiteXL board with a $50 Zotac GF6100-E-E using all components of a HP s 3020n including the operating system (to my surprise).

I have considered that. But paying $25 for a power cable is just not my cup of tea. I suppose that is what you did? The case is kind of cramped and I don't know if it will work out if the new board has different layout. e.g. CPU fan maybe blocking other parts, etc. If you look at many mini-ITX boards, the power is right opposite to the output panel. Whereas the Irvine board has the power connector on the side, near the CPU. So the layout must be different. My only option below $100 is the ZOTAC G41ITX-A-E. I have not heard anyone successfully put it into the slimline case.

I am also not sure if I can reuse the Slimline's OEM Wi-Fi.

Last edited:
Here comes my question: I want to upgrade my ATI HD4550 to an HD5570 but im not sure if the PSU will be enough. Ive seen some options at newegg and tigerdirect, my option at newegg would be the HIS silence 5570 (fanless), and also ive seen this one at tigerdirect
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...srkey=H557FS1G
that is cheaper and has a fan, but on the info says: LOW PROFILE / NO but on the pictures shown and the model it is a low profile one.

I need your help.

PD: Ive test the PSU requirements and for the 5570, the test gives exactly the same wattage riquiered by my actual HD4550, so i dont know what to do.

3gb ram, 320HDD.....

Sorry bout my English XD

I have considered that. But paying $25 for a power cable is just not my cup of tea. I suppose that is what you did? The case is kind of cramped and I don't know if it will work out if the new board has different layout. e.g. CPU fan maybe blocking other parts, etc. If you look at many mini-ITX boards, the power is right opposite to the output panel. Whereas the Irvine board has the power connector on the side, near the CPU. So the layout must be different. My only option below $100 is the ZOTAC G41ITX-A-E. I have not heard anyone successfully put it into the slimline case.

I am also not sure if I can reuse the Slimline's OEM Wi-Fi.

Mini ITX boards do not require the $25 adapter with standard ATX power supply connectors on the recommended alternative power supplies for these cases mentioned on Page 1 and thoroughly discussed thoughout this thread. Essentially they are only for adapting with the original HP Slimline motherboards and their proprietary power connection to these supplies.

Hi to all,

I have an HP-s3130 (italian version, bought on February 2008).

In order to have a system with less noise I'm going to replace these components:
- PSU
- CPU fan

Have you any tips for me?
Like the right model to buy, specifications,...

Remember that my goal is to have a system with less noise, nothing else.

Thanks a lot.

I have the s3000 AMD version. I need a new motherboard. I suppose I'll also want to get the Sparkle 270 since the new mobo won't work with the old PSU. Anyway, I have a spare C2D laying around and I was wondering if it'd make sense to get an Intel mobo and put the C2D in there. If this makes sense, I'm sure I'd need a special aftermarket heatsink/fan as the stock one seems way too large. Any ideas?

Thanks guys!

Mini ITX boards do not require the $25 adapter with standard ATX power supply connectors on the recommended alternative power supplies for these cases mentioned on Page 1 and thoroughly discussed thoughout this thread. Essentially they are only for adapting with the original HP Slimline motherboards and their proprietary power connection to these supplies.

I mainly see people upgrading their P/S so they can use better graphics card. I have not seen any report of people successfully replaced the motherboard. I have seen someone tried the Zotac but found the power incompatible and ended up using another case.

To me, it does not make a lot of economic sense to spend $150+ on a mini-ITX + new P/S. I could have put the money into a new PC and sell the rest of my components off eBay.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...srkey=H557FS1G

I need your help.

3gb ram, 320HDD.....

Sorry bout my English XD

There really isn't anyway to know if the product that you linked above is low profile or not. While the product image may show a low profile card, there is no guarantee that the actual product matches the product image (i.e. you don't know if it's actually is low profile, especially since the description says otherwise). Short of buying it yourself or asking someone who physically owns that card, there's not much one can do, sorry.

As for the power supply, I would recommend upgrading your power supply just to be safe. HP's website shows that your computer has a 160W power supply, and I wouldn't risk it. The HD 5570 may be a low(-er) power card, but pushing the PSU too hard can damage or even kill other components of your computer. PSU info is on the first page - I recommend the Sparkle 270 Watt PSU, I've been using one for quite a while now and other than being a little loud sometimes, it's been excellent.

Hi,

I have updated my slimline (motherboard Asus IPILP-AR) with a e6400 (replaced the e2140). Although my pc still works, it still runs on the old speed. Is there any biosupdate available?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cm_re=5570_low_profile-_-14-102-874-_-Product

is a monster, but you need atleast 200 watt to use it under load.

heres the anandtech review, it's 3x as good as the 4550, from a price standpoint it'd be crazy to get the 4550 being only 30 or so dollars less.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2935/13

shows 175 full power, but that's with a i7 and terribyte drives, if you run stock you may not run into trouble. but it'd be better to get a 200 watt than get into trouble later on

i'm thinking of trying this PSU, hopefully trying one that isn't listed here isn't gonna backfire in my face. one of the reviews says it fits.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cm_re=itx_power_supply-_-17-148-044-_-Product

Last edited:
Hi, I'm upgrading this system for a friend. It uses an ASUS IPILP-AR (Locktite-GL8E) Intel Socket-775 Intel 945G motherboard.

Currently it has 2x512MB PC2-4200 (533MHz) memory and a Celeron D 360 (3.46GHz) CPU.

The spec page for the motherboard states it can support:

CPU up to Core 2 Duo E6700 (2.66GHz) on FSB 1066MHz

RAM up to 2x1024MB PC2-5300 (667MHz)

But what will happen if I install this max hardware? Will the CPU run at 1066 and the ram at 667 (asynchronous mode)? Will it run the CPU on a FSB of 667 and therefore at only 1.66GHz? Will it try to run the RAM at 1066 and if so, can I install PC2-8600 (1066MHz) and run it synchronously?

With these motherboards that have no manual setup options it's difficult to tell what the BIOS will do. Any insight as to how the system will take to the above CPU & RAM will be very helpful.

Hi, memory is not an issue, will run up to 2Gb at 667Mhz. But see my post above, CPU update on the same motherboard is causing me issues

This is exactly what I feared. Despite being told to the contrary, it's the memory that sets the FSB. I expect that your ram is PC2-6400 (800MHz) and so the BIOS is setting the FSB to that speed. Am I right in my assumption?

Or possibly the ram is 667MHz and the BIOS runs the FSB at a fixed asynchronous ratio of 6:5?

Looking at other results I think the standard FSB is 266 quad pumped to 1066. Ram will run syncronized at 533. I don't think ratios come into it. Are you sure it's not the Speed-Step clock that you are looking at? That will be 1600MHz under no load. Use CPU-Z to look at the speed under full load.

it is def. the bios messing up things. When I run an Intel tool it says:
//
Expected CPU Frequency is --> 2.13
Detected CPU Frequency is --> 1.59938

CPU Frequency Test Passed with Warning!!!
The processor frequency could be affected by over-clocking or power management
features. Intel(R) does not support over-clocking of its processors.
Over-clocking is not compatible with the Intel(R) Processor Diagnostic Tool.
In order to ensure the processor frequency is not affected by these, please
enter BIOS and load defaults and disable any 'Over-Clocking' or power
management features that may be affecting processor frequency. Also please set
any software applications which control power management features to default.

///

My last hope is a BIOS update, but I have not been succesfull yet

Have you run CPU-Z with the CPU under load to make sure it's not Intel Speed Step reducing the speed? That CPU will run at 1.6GHz under light load conditions and 2.13GHz under heavy load conditions.

My s3300t slimline comes with built-in wireless. It is actually an internal USB dongle with external antenna.

Part number is 5188-7736. It is the same one listed here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-Pavilion-Sli...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item483b91739d

My question is. What is the other wire (connecting to a metal plate, with a little sponge on the plate) used for?

Also, I don't know how the seller remove the thing in one piece because it seems I must unsolder the wire in order to take out the metal plate.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Halsey on page 215 says it is an antenna also. Why separate/separated antennas on the front and back? I have not found a good explanation.

Last edited:
Thanks. I am thinking of salvaging the Wi-Fi module for another build and therefore asking about it. It should be fairly easy if there isn't a second wire. I am really not clear about its purpose. I might ended up cutting it off.

Just for anyone who may be interested: I just installed a Core 2 Duo E6600 processor and 2x1GB of 1.8v PC2-6400 (800MHz) ram on this HP Pavilion system and all seems fine. The CPU is run on a 266MHz FSB (quad pumped to 1066MHz) and Intel Speed Step runs the CPU at 1.6GHz (6x) under light load and 2.4GHz (9x) under heavier load. The ram is being run at the maximum speed the chipset supports of 333MHz (PC2-5300 667MHz DDR2 rate) at a FSB ratio of 4:5. Before installing the hardware I upgraded the bios to version 5.07 which is the latest one available. If I can find a way to overclock the FSB then at stock voltages I could probably get it up to 320MHz, RAM 400MHz and CPU 2.88GHz (quad pump FSB 1280MHz).

Just for anyone who may be interested: I just installed a Core 2 Duo E6600 processor and 2x1GB of 1.8v PC2-6400 (800MHz) ram on this HP Pavilion system and all seems fine. The CPU is run on a 266MHz FSB (quad pumped to 1066MHz) and Intel Speed Step runs the CPU at 1.6GHz (6x) under light load and 2.4GHz (9x) under heavier load. The ram is being run at the maximum speed the chipset supports of 333MHz (PC2-5300 667MHz DDR2 rate) at a FSB ratio of 4:5. Before installing the hardware I upgraded the bios to version 5.07 which is the latest one available. If I can find a way to overclock the FSB then at stock voltages I could probably get it up to 320MHz, RAM 400MHz and CPU 2.88GHz (quad pump FSB 1280MHz).

All attempts I made at overclocking your same motherboard ended in failure. If you get it working let me know!

Thanks. I am thinking of salvaging the Wi-Fi module for another build and therefore asking about it. It should be fairly easy if there isn't a second wire. I am really not clear about its purpose. I might ended up cutting it off.

Before cutting, check to see if the wire can be manually removed from the circuit board. Obviously if it is soldered one cannot. Both antennas seem to be connected (on mine at least) by a clip on the end of micro coaxial cables (correct terminology?) that fasten onto the circuit board.

Wow. This thing is sick. What are they going for used?

PM me. I've got a used slimline that is currently not in use. It is a s3200n with a 180watt powersupply (traded up from the stock 160watt), 9500gs with HDMI port, 2gb RAM, and whatever size hard-drive you want, from 500 to 1.5TB. It has wifi, TV tuner, and dvd burner. Fully loaded. Has an AMD BE-2400 processor. It has a legtimate copy of Win Vista included - I'll freshly reinstall before I send out and include the recover disks. Fully capable of anything HD related. I may even be able to put in 4GB RAM, but will have to look to see if I have it. PERFECT condition. Was my HTPC, but I upgraded my main system and put the s3600t I have in it's place as acting HTPC. It is a low power draw machine - eats up about 45-55 watts on the kill-a-watt generally.

Via the "tool" SETFSB I managed to overclock my CPU. Since my Mobo still thinks the CPU is a 1,6 Ghz, I only came to 2,3 Ghz. But still a nice result

tg2007.
What CPU are you using.

Download a program called CPU-Z from a company called CPU-ID.

Before cutting, check to see if the wire can be manually removed from the circuit board. Obviously if it is soldered one cannot. Both antennas seem to be connected (on mine at least) by a clip on the end of micro coaxial cables (correct terminology?) that fasten onto the circuit board.

You are right! I mistakenly concluded that it is soldered to the circuit board. Although I cannot pull it out with my finger, I believe it will come off if I use a hand tool. I think both of them are antenna.

Back