The highly rated HP Pavilion Slimline PC thread

Well, I 'upgraded' to this slimline (a core 2 quad 2.5Ghz) from a HP DX2200 (Pentium D 3Ghz with 9800GT card...) So I can't see myself stepping backwards in terms of visual fidelity and using a 9600GT or lesser card... In fact, the low power 9600GT is my fallback position in case I can't find a 300 watt+ PSU that will work...

...and the PSU in the core 2 quad machine is a 220 watt.

A bit more research shows that all low profile 9800GT and 9600GT class cards require 26 amps on the 12v rail, which cannot be delivered by anything less than a 400watt PSU (http://www.techaddicts.net/reviews/9800gt/9800gt.html). Hmmmn... The Sparkle SPI270LE delivers 26 amps through combined output of both 12v rails, even though it is only a 270 watt PSU (http://www.sparklepower.com/pdf/SPI270LE.pdf). The docs for the SeaSonic 300 watt PSU indicate 21 amps on the 12v rail, so unless this is a typo the SeaSonic is a no-go for a higher end GPU (http://www.seasonic.com/pdf/datasheet/NEW/Bulk/PC/TFX/SS-250 300TFX_APFC.pdf).

The Sparkle SPI270LE can only deliver 18 amps through the combined output of both 12v rails (as noted on the same page you listed, but towards the bottom left underneath the table) - however, the Sparkle 9800GT runs fine on the SPI270LE according to dozens of people here, including the OP.

Here's my logic on why this is possible: By visiting Nvidia's product page for the 9800GT (here, under specifications) you can see that according to Nvidia, the 9800GT has a maximum power consumption of 105 watts (not to be confused with the "minimum recommended system power", which is an inflated number). Since the card will be powered by the 12v rail, you can find that the card really requires about 8.75 amps on the 12v rail (power=voltage x amperage). With this, it's easier to understand why the 9800GT will run with the SPI270LE.

In summary, since the 9800GT runs on the SPI270LE with 18 amps on the 12v rail, I think that the SeaSonic 300W you listed, with it's 21 combined amps on the 12v rail, will run the 9800GT just fine. That's assuming there's not much difference between the mothboard and components of the s3xxx and the s5xxx series (in regards to power consumption). Also, as far as the PSU's size, proper connectors, and etc go, I'm afraid I can't be of much assistance, sorry. Hope that helps.

If I choose the ati 5450 option from HP, will it have duallink dvi so that i can run 2560x1600?

Last edited:
...I'd say you've been more than enough help!

;-)

Funny how I missed the 18am note in that PDF...

I've got a few measurements to make and then I'll be picking up a PSU and GPU to test. (Finger's crossed)

If I choose the ati 5450 option from HP, will it have duallink dvi so that i can run 2560x1600?

Not sure about the dual link dvi, but I bought this card for a s3200t and it would not work. In a newer slimline you might not have a problem.

Ok, did some hard thinking this weekend and decided I really don't want to spend the time required to play around tinkering to see which PSU/GPU combination will work. Too many variables and too much mail ordering/returning product... Especially when one of my criteria is having a quiet PC (last system sounded like a JET ENGINE).

So I'm putting out a call to 'anyone' using a decently powerful GPU with a stock 220/230 watt s5000 series PSU.

What is your card? What is the noise level like?

Or, if you have replaced the stock s5000 series PSU, what did you use? And what is the noise level like with the new part?

Thanks!

Hi Guys,

I have a HP Slimline S3020.nl (RZ418AA) with the M2NC51-AR mainboard, and i want to upgrade the graphics card.
It has a 7300LE PCI-express in it, but i hate that card. It is noisy, slow, and gets friggin hot even when idle.

I tried a HD 4350 from an other PC i have, but i get no image from it? But with the 4350 inserted, the onboard 6150LE is still working (normally it should turn off) When i look in device manager, it shows no signs of the HD 4350. The card works fine in the other PC.

I thought, maybe the HD 4350 is not compatible with this PC, so i bought an HD 4550 (i was not specificly looking for the 4550, but i saw it 2nd hand for a good price). But that one is also not working! Same story as with the 4350, no image from the PCI-e card, onboard is still working, and no signs of the 4550 in device manager.

I already upgraded to the latest BIOS (5.07) and even tried the 5.08 bios mentioned above here.
The primary video adapter setting in the BIOS is correct, it is at the "PCI-e" setting.

How can i get the HD 4550 working?

Last edited:
Ok, just a few silly questions -

1. HP Personal Media Drive - large, requires external power, does not fit into media bay on slimline (correct?)

2. HP Pocket Media Drive - small, runs off USB power, fits into media bay on slimline (correct?)

3. Does the Pocket Media Drive fit all the way into the slimline? Or does it extend partially (like 1" or more sitting outside the case). I can't find a picture ANYWHERE that shows how the Pocket Media Drive fits into the HP Slimline.

I was thinking about purchasing a drive, inserting it, forgetting about it, and using it as a backup device.

The Pocket Media Drive protrudes about 1/2" when the drive is inserted. I use it to store common files for a multi-partition system. Should be great for backups, too. I have the 250GB version. ($65 Used at Amazon, including shipping).

Last edited:
Anyone who have tried nvidia GT220 on 160 W stock psu and working fine?

The GT220 will not work with the stock 160W power supply, sorry. The card draws 58 watts, which is too much for the 160W PSUs found in the s3xxx AMD slimlines.

Ok, did some hard thinking this weekend and decided I really don't want to spend the time required to play around tinkering to see which PSU/GPU combination will work. Too many variables and too much mail ordering/returning product... Especially when one of my criteria is having a quiet PC (last system sounded like a JET ENGINE).

So I'm putting out a call to 'anyone' using a decently powerful GPU with a stock 220/230 watt s5000 series PSU.

What is your card? What is the noise level like?

Or, if you have replaced the stock s5000 series PSU, what did you use? And what is the noise level like with the new part?

Thanks!
I don't have a S5000, but I have an Acer AspireX which is a slimline with a 220wt PSU. Card? Easy. Sapphire 5570 1GB DDR LP. Extremely quiet at desktop and only ramps up during gaming, and even then I can barely hear it.

Excellent performance, not 9600GT but close. Definitely faster than the 220. Highly recommended.

I don't have a S5000, but I have an Acer AspireX which is a slimline with a 220wt PSU. Card? Easy. Sapphire 5570 1GB DDR LP. Extremely quiet at desktop and only ramps up during gaming, and even then I can barely hear it.

Excellent performance, not 9600GT but close. Definitely faster than the 220. Highly recommended.

Thanks for the recommendation!

FSP270-50SAV 270 Watt Power Supply http://www.fspgroupusa.com/fsp27050savpf/p/425.html https://www.shopfsp.com/fsp27050savpf/p/425.html GREAT technical info...

(300 watt variant - http://www.fspgroupusa.com/fsp30060ght80/p/627.html ???)

Based upon the specs, I THINK the 270 watt unity will be able to run the 9800GT low profile... Might even be a better PSU than the HP stock 270watt unit.

Output Max. Load
+5Vsb 2A
-12V 0.3A
+12V1 16A
+12V2 16A
+5V 18A
+3.3V 17A

Technical Specs:
* Odd size replaces many of the Newton Power Supplies
* 7" Deep X 3.25" Wide X 2.75" High
* One ATX connector (24 pin)
* One 12V connector for P4 motherboards
* Two IDE 4 PIN connectors
* One Floppy 4 PIN connector
* One SATA connector

I compared to my existing s5280t PSU and it appears to be a match in size and screw position (even the indentation is in the same spot). I can't tell about the connectors however, without pulling my existing system apart. But I think all I'll need is the Molex to PCI-Express adapter to get power to the 9800GT.

Will order this: http://www.atxpowersupplies.com/images/Molex-to-PCI-Express-Adapter-350x350.gif

And also this, in case I don't have two free molex when I get the new PSU in my case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812201004

-------

As far as graphics cards go, I've looked at the following cards:

a. 9600GT Low Power Low Profile (http://www.sparkle.com.tw/product_detail.asp?id=77&sub_id=280) 55nm process. 95watts max power draw. http://www.gpureview.com/GeForce-9600-GT-card-557.html
b. 9800GT Low Profile (http://www.sparkle.com.tw/product_detail.asp?id=76&sub_id=279) http://www.techaddicts.net/reviews/9800gt/9800gt.html 55nm process. 105 watts max power draw. http://www.gpureview.com/GeForce-9800-GT-card-575.html
c. GTS250 Low Profile (http://www.sparkle.com.tw/product_detail.asp?id=97&sub_id=372)
d. various Radeon cards Low Profile

Based upon this latest round of research, and my performance needs (gaming wise), I think I'll try to combine the PSU above with the 9800GT low profile. While the GTS250 is a better card, I think the power requirements would be a bit too high...

If anyone reads these specs and thinks this is a bad combo, or has knowledge that the GTS250 low profile draws less power than the 9800GT, please let me know before I pull the trigger and purchase!

I'll be sure to document my upgrade for posterity!

----

Update on 9800GT Low Profile: At the moment I'd recommend you purchase your card from Amazon. They have it for the same price as Newegg, with FREE shipping and a much better return policy. http://www.amazon.com/Sparkle-SX98GT512D3L-NM-GeForce-PCI-Express-Graphics/dp/B001T26QMY (however, they only ship to the U.S.)

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Hi Guys,

I have a HP Slimline S3020.nl (RZ418AA) with the M2NC51-AR mainboard, and i want to upgrade the graphics card.
It has a 7300LE PCI-express in it, but i hate that card. It is noisy, slow, and gets friggin hot even when idle.

I tried a HD 4350 from an other PC i have, but i get no image from it? But with the 4350 inserted, the onboard 6150LE is still working (normally it should turn off) When i look in device manager, it shows no signs of the HD 4350. The card works fine in the other PC.

I thought, maybe the HD 4350 is not compatible with this PC, so i bought an HD 4550 (i was not specificly looking for the 4550, but i saw it 2nd hand for a good price). But that one is also not working! Same story as with the 4350, no image from the PCI-e card, onboard is still working, and no signs of the 4550 in device manager.

I already upgraded to the latest BIOS (5.07) and even tried the 5.08 bios mentioned above here.
The primary video adapter setting in the BIOS is correct, it is at the "PCI-e" setting.

How can i get the HD 4550 working?

Did you try uninstalling the nVidia drivers, for graphics, before installing in the ATi card?

My upgrade from an 8500gt --> HD4350 was rather quick (windows Vista, then windows 7... I'm rather picky about my GPU :p) (I have the HematiteXL mobo, too).

What is the deal about PCIe X1 video cards? Newegg has several based on the ATI Radeon HD 4350 (around $100). Zotac and "Pegatron" (ASUS/HP?) are reported to be coming out with PCIe X1 cards based on the NVidia ION chipset. Would these be adequate to deliver 1080p in a HTPC?

What is the deal about PCIe X1 video cards? Newegg has several based on the ATI Radeon HD 4350 (around $100). Zotac and "Pegatron" (ASUS/HP?) are reported to be coming out with PCIe X1 cards based on the NVidia ION chipset. Would these be adequate to deliver 1080p in a HTPC?

HD4350 PCIe1 = custom cards. In reality, they are just PCIe16 with the other 15 lanes sawed off (litterally). Price premium applie here.

ION PCIe1 = nVidia reference design.

Pegatron = yeah, it's one of ASUS' divisions.

EDIT: yes, they are all adequate to deliver 1080p, IF streamed from a BluRay disc. If you are deinterlacing 1080i content (OTA), then these cards will not have nearly enough compute power to do so.

HD4350 PCIe1 = custom cards. In reality, they are just PCIe16 with the other 15 lanes sawed off (litterally). Price premium applie here.

ION PCIe1 = nVidia reference design.

Pegatron = yeah, it's one of ASUS' divisions.

EDIT: yes, they are all adequate to deliver 1080p, IF streamed from a BluRay disc. If you are deinterlacing 1080i content (OTA), then these cards will not have nearly enough compute power to do so.

Then it makes sense why some motherboards (usually ITX) with an apparent PCIe X16 slot support only PCIe X4 sans 12 otherwise good lanes on a PCIe X16 card.

Then it makes sense why some motherboards (usually ITX) with an apparent PCIe X16 slot support only PCIe X4 sans 12 otherwise good lanes on a PCIe X16 card.

True. They also have to route all the traces, too!

Not to mention, AMD ITX/DTX boards have typically been victim to this, because they have a NB+SB topology, and nobody else makes the chipsets for them. nVidia's custom LGA775 chipset (later variant) has already unified all of the functionality of both chips into one ASIC die, and thus had more space then any comparable AMD solution to route the PCIe traces.

Which is why there is only one AMD mITX motherboard out, with a full PCIe16 slot (electrical, not just physical), compared to a multitude of nVidia based solutions, and P55/H55/H57 Intel solutions, which integrate a greater deal of the Chipsets onto the CPU die, allowing for easier trace routing...

or merely Intel has pushed ITX far harder tham AMD has!

Hi guys, i just recently upgraded my dead motherboard to Albatron ki690-am2 and i need a new power supply! I'm based in Ireland so my chances of getting a Sparkle PSU are almost none :( Have anyone ever tried or heard of fsp250-50gub shuttle PSU?
I couldn't find any manual about connecting power-on button to my new motherboard. Is there any way of connecting the stock HP power-on cable to my motherboard?
Thanks

Hi guys, i just recently upgraded my dead motherboard to Albatron ki690-am2 and i need a new power supply! I'm based in Ireland so my chances of getting a Sparkle PSU are almost none :( Have anyone ever tried or heard of fsp250-50gub shuttle PSU?
I couldn't find any manual about connecting power-on button to my new motherboard. Is there any way of connecting the stock HP power-on cable to my motherboard?
Thanks

Your mothboard regulates power-on status (via pin 14 of the ATX power cord, the one with 20/24 pins).

Your motherboard, near the CMOS battery, has a section of vertical pins that connect to wires leading from your case. These wires connect ONLY to (so MAKE SURE THEY ARE NOT USB HEADERS!!) Front power, Power LED, HDD LED.

I'll get pics tonight, in about... 12 hours?
The shuttle PSU is fine. It's not powerful enough to handle a maxxed out power rigg, but it is enough for a stock AMD SFF rig.

Did you try uninstalling the nVidia drivers, for graphics, before installing in the ATi card?

My upgrade from an 8500gt --> HD4350 was rather quick (windows Vista, then windows 7... I'm rather picky about my GPU :p) (I have the HematiteXL mobo, too).
It isn't driver related because when i start the system it doesn't even has video output from the HD4550 in the BIOS.

Maybe something with different PCI-e versions? Motherboard has older version than my HD4550

If you are not adding additional cooling - I think the ATI 4350 might be a great card for you. It's not gaming focused, but can handle anythign else you throw at it and runs cool, silent, and does not require hardly any power.

8400GS uses close to 40 watts, (I had trouble with mine on a stock power supply when maxing out the CPU workload) -- and the 8600GT uses a bit more. I know that some of the guys have used the ATI HD-4550 in a slimline without issue. Could you have gotten a bad card?

If you don't plan to game I would go for the lowest power draw, but yet still capable card and look towards the HD4350.

Well, I broke down and ended up buying a Sapphire HD 4550 card. I fully expected it not to work, but it did. Graphics went from a 3.5 to a 4.7 and gaming went from 2.7 to 5.1. So, I am pleased.

If you have a S3200T and are having as big a problem as I had finding a card, the HD 4550 def works and improves the stock 7500 LE dramatically. Plus there is no fan and it is completely quiet.

Updated my post from a few days ago with a new, MUCH lower cost vendor than the one I purchased from, as well as full specs on the 270 watt (and 300 watt?) replacement PSU for the s5000 series.

Still knowing whether this PSU will power the 9800GT low profile, silently, is a crapshoot until I get it all installed. However, knowing that some of you are using the Sparkle 270 successfully is encouraging.

Total upgrade price for PSU and 9800GT Low Profile should be about $160 with shipping if you use Amazon and www.shopfsp.com and UPS ground.

Updated my post from a few days ago with a new, MUCH lower cost vendor than the one I purchased from, as well as full specs on the 270 watt (and 300 watt?) replacement PSU for the s5000 series.

Still knowing whether this PSU will power the 9800GT low profile, silently, is a crapshoot until I get it all installed. However, knowing that some of you are using the Sparkle 270 successfully is encouraging.

Total upgrade price for PSU and 9800GT Low Profile should be about $160 with shipping if you use Amazon and www.shopfsp.com and UPS ground.

Later Sparkle PSU are actually FSP sourced, since they bought off Sparkle Power...

It looks like it will power a 9800gt, but the Delta PSU that HP uses is still of superior quality (unless if the S5000 series droped Delta as their PSU source...).

Later Sparkle PSU are actually FSP sourced, since they bought off Sparkle Power...

It looks like it will power a 9800gt, but the Delta PSU that HP uses is still of superior quality (unless if the S5000 series droped Delta as their PSU source...).

Would you happen to know the model number of that Delta PSU? Would like to get a look at it, especially if it comes in a 300 watt variant.

It isn't driver related because when i start the system it doesn't even has video output from the HD4550 in the BIOS.

Maybe something with different PCI-e versions? Motherboard has older version than my HD4550
Hello,

PCIe isn't source of the issue.

So you have:
BIOS set to PCIe card
Pluged the only monitor cable over to your new graphics card
Switched your monitor over to the correct input?

I'm sorry, that's all I can think of, right now.

Would you happen to know the model number of that Delta PSU? Would like to get a look at it, especially if it comes in a 300 watt variant.

I only have the model # for the S3000 slimlines (different form factor PSU). I don't know about the S5000 PSU.

Also, Delta Electronics doesn't sell many PSU under their own name. Most of their units go over to Antec (rebranded), or to PC building companies (they aren't technically OEM, but Dell, HP, etc).

Is the closest I could find (and it still far short):
http://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?type=PROD&SearchText=BN402AV

No worries. Thanks for looking!

---

Amazed at how I'm now able to find the PSU from my previous post for so much cheaper. It is almost always the case that when you think you should purchase - wait and research two more days and you'll always find a better seller/product.

Another s5000 series PSU vendor: http://www.directron.com/fsp27050sav.html?pgrab=1

and for a laugh, here is a vendor with the same PSU for more than 2x the price: http://powersupplybuyerguide.co.cc/...V_Bestec_FLX_250F1_L_FLX_250F-B001GM58JY.html

-------------------------------------------------------

General notes about the PSU.

COOLING FAN(s): Single, 80mm sleeve-bearing with Thermal Sensor Linked. I assume this means the fan activates based upon thermal conditions rather than power load. Also, the fan is 80mm, and draws and vents air from outside the case!

INPUT PROTECTION: Patented Input Fuse Protection. I assume this means there is a fuse to protect your system in case you don't use an uninterruptible power supply or surge suppressor.

OUTPUT PROTECTION: Complete OVP, OCP, SCP Protection. This is over voltage, over current, and short-circuit protection. ...your motherboard and components will thank you.

12V RAILS: 32 amps spread across 2 12v rails. HOWEVER, the normal load indicates 6.5 amps, and there are several 'conditions' stated that indicate as much as 18 amps... I don't know enough to call this one. I can only hope a new DX11 part comes out soon that is just as fast but lower power than the 9800GT low profile.

Last edited:
I have installed an Nvidia GTX 470 into my Slimline s5160f thanks to the info I've found on this forum. I am trying to post pictures so that you can see that I'm not crazy, (well a little bit). I am new to posting in forums and have read the FAQ but still can't find the pictures and album link in the user control panel. And yes it fits and runs perfectly! Just required an external PSU.

The PSU appears to be identical in size and structure to the old PSU (cable layout is different). This Saturday I'll be pulling out the old PSU and inserting the new one (which I paid 2x too much for...). Then the 9800GT goes in and we see if this works... I'll take a few pics of the PSUs side by side and also indicate what cables are missing/needed if any.

I'll also let you know what the PSU and video card audio levels are like at desktop and at full load.

I was also thinking I should probably upgrade to the full 8GB to see if the system can handle the complete load of card and max memory.

Does anyone know the power draw of a 2GB stick of RAM?

----------------------------------------------PREP DOCUMENTS----------------------------------------------------

For anyone else who plans to replace the power supply, etc in the s5000 class Slimline, here are the pertinent documents.

REPLACING PSU: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...seCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=4065948
MOTHERBOARD SPECS: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...6799/loc:4&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=4065948
GENERAL SERVICE DOC: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01859458.pdf

Last edited:
I have a slimline s3720f. It has 160 Watt power supply. I have purchased a gigabyte Geforce 8400gs low profile GC.The documentation suggests a min 450 watt power supply. All I want is a little better resolution than the integrated card has and I need the dual monitor to run my autocad. Is there a decent low profile GC out there that I can have better graphics and get the two monitor support with?

The 8400GS should work fine. All video card companies but greatly exaggerated requirements on their products because they have no idea what kind of hardware you have in your system or the quality of your PSU. For a 65wt dual-core Pentium Slimline like yours it can handle the 8400GS easy.

SUCCESS

Slimline s5280t with 270watt and 9800GT!!!!

Windows Experience graphics went from 3.5 to 6.8. Overall scores went from 3.5 to 5.9 (held back by 7200RPM HD)

Works! At least for the past two hours playing Halo 2 PC...

------------------POWER SUPPLY AND CABLING ISSUES--------------------

(0) New PSU weighs about 2x what the old one did, and the old one is pretty darn light for a PSU.

(1) New PSU is a perfect fit - except the tab on the bottom of the case is slightly out of position for the PSU to slide in easily. I bent the pin "down" and that helped the power supply slide into place.

(2) The motherboard power cable should be a tiny bit longer. It fits, but it is a VERY close thing... You will need to give MAXIMUM priority to this cable and connect everything else after this.

(3) The new PSU is short 1 Serial ATA Power connector. You will need a serial ATA power Y (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...189&cm_re=serial_ata_y-_-12-189-189-_-Product) for the HD and DVD. They are a significant distance apart, so be sure to get a longer cable (NOT THIS: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...161&cm_re=serial_ata_y-_-12-200-161-_-Product). You could also use one of these (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...2&cm_re=molex_to_4_pin-_-12-201-002-_-Product) if you use the single MOLEX to pci-e power cable I've used below.

(3a) I had a few extra MOLEX Y adapters laying around, so I used them and a MOLEX to SERIAL ATA Power (sloppy cable work...don't emulate this as it is bad for case airflow)

(4) The card can take a single MOLEX to pci-e for power (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812201004) so don't feel you need to use one of these (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...1&cm_re=molex_to_pci-e-_-12-887-001-_-Product) which will take up both molex cables.

So, if you purchase the PSU you will need either payload of cables:

(A) MOLEX to pci-e, molex to serialATA power
(B) two MOLEX TO PCI-e, serialATA Y-splitter with some length to it

You will also need cable ties.

As I said, I had a bunch of extra cables lying around and used them, but my case airflow will suffer. I plan to purchase a MOLEX to serialATA cable and use that to reduce the number of cables in my case.

---------------------NOISE------------------------

The system can no longer be called a 'silent' system - instead call it a 'very quiet system.'

Pretty quiet at post and at desktop. You can hear the GPU fan, but it is a comfortably low volume/pitch. Like a rush of air - a medium size fan spinning at a low rate of speed, not a whine by any means. Have not heard it spin up loudly after several hours on the desktop.

9800GT makes a moderate whine during gameplay when the fan spins up. Not loud - but a tiny bit higher in pitch than I'd like. Definitely within the acceptable range for an office or media room. Much quieter than my old 9800GT in my fullsize desktop.

PSU makes about the same amount of noise as stock. Have not stressed the system over a long period of time, will update after a weekend of use.

--------------------------HEAT------------------------------------

The s5000 series has a very good case airflow. Managing cables will keep it that way. The case also has a large number of openings for ventilation. This is good, because the 9800GT is now the hottest thing in the case - by far... It is pretty close to the PSU, so making sure the case has great airflow is going to be integral to keeping the card happy.

I run the system with the case closed and no extra fans.

NOTE: after playing Half Life 2 at 1920x1200 with EVERYTHING maxed out, I noted that the side of the case by the video card felt pretty darn warm to the touch. The 9800GT needs more airflow. Maybe a low profile VENT along the lines of this (http://www.h-online.com/priceinsight/eu/a380793.html) or just leave the slot cover off...

---------------THE DRIVER UPGRADE-----------------------

The system detected the video card and automatically disabled the motherboard graphics. Windows 7 identified the card and booted at my last resolution with the card installed and working properly. I went to the Nvidia website and downloaded the latest drivers anyway... I should probably run the Windows Experience test again - now that I have new drivers installed...

---------------------MISC------------------------------------------

I noted there were several unused USB headers inside the case. I thought I might add an extra set of USB ports since the 9800GT was taking up both expansion slots, but there looked to be enough clearance to insert this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...1&cm_re=molex_to_pci-e-_-12-887-001-_-Product

Will keep you posted.

I have 6GB RAM installed, a bunch of USB devices and no Pocket Media drive. As I add these devices I will update to let you know if the system fails.

-------------------------------------------

Stressing the system now with a few rounds of 1920x1200 Halo 2 and Half Life 2. Other miscellaneous tests over the weekend.

***several more hours into a Halo 2 Session at 1920x1200 with all settings on max - side of case is very hot to touch! Fan is audible, but not bothersome. Even though the s5000 series case has a LOT of air venting, getting hot air away from the card is going to be a priority. It needs a slot cooler or a USB fan on the exterior of the case pushing cool air into an open PCI slot. This card runs hot as the devil!

Last edited:
Back