The highly rated HP Pavilion Slimline PC thread

^ Wow, the last couple posts have very good info. Someone should copy the posts and hold onto them for a couple weeks just in case [H] has DB problems again and has to roll back a few days or week.

ChuckP - thanks for the shipped prices update. I've linked your info on the first post for future visitors.

I was telling the head IT guy at my work today about my plans to upgrade my HP SLIMLINE PC with a 270w PSU to power a GeForce 9800GT Graphics Card.

He shook his head and mumbled about how that wouldn't work and showed me this NEWEGG PSU Calculator at:

http://educations.newegg.com/tool/psucalc/index.html

It is obsolete so it didn't even have the 9800 listed...the latest card shown was an 8800 so he put that in together with my other specs and guess what the estimated wattage was to run my upgraded system?

395 WATTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't see any mention of this PSU Calculator in this thread?

Another one he went to was here:

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

This puppy has so many parameters that he didn't have time to run it and I didn't know the answers to alot of the items required...maybe someone who does can run it and see what it comes up with for my unit with the 270 watt PSU and the 9800GT?

I told him I trusted the guys on HF as some had this exact set up and had had NO major problems with it....

I do see that Archaea WAS a bit sceptical BEFORE he got his set up posting that:

"I really like the price and appreciate the name brand of the Sparkle 270 watt --- but I'm afraid there might not be enough juice in the 12 volt rail for the 9800GT. You can find the 270 watt sparkle for $45 bucks which is half price of the other two...Heck I just might go this way anyway. It's an 80% efficient unit."

And, more recently AFTER he got it set up he said:

" ...the sparkle 270 watt has no issue powering all the equipment (incl a 9800GT card). It hasn't failed me yet."

So, I am going ahead with it.....I have to admit, though, that I am just a bit sceptical and wanting to see for MYSELF that this will fly....

To really figure this all out, you would have to be a Professor of Electrical Engineering at CalTech or something....Unfortunately, that I am NOT!

Here is a very well done review of the Sparkle Ge Force 9800GT 512MB Low Profile card:

http://www.techaddicts.net/reviews/9800gt/9800gt.html

A cogent quote from this review notes that:

"nVIDIA recommends a minimum of a 400 Watt power supply to power this card, with the +12v rail supplying a minimum of 26 Amps."

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........

Is everyone else thinking of doing the same upgrade convinced that the 270 Watt Sparkle PSU is powerfull enough to pull the load?

Last edited:
ChuckP.

Yeah I've looked at the power supply calculators, there were several of them referenced in this thread I believe. They are inaccurate for our slimline PCs on several terms
1. we utilize a low power motherboard - likely as close to a laptop motherboard in power as to a conventional desktop motherboard.
2. we generally have no 'extras' pulling power from the PC, can't have mutiple hard-drives or cd-roms, or PCI cards. Generally speaking everything we use except the graphics card is 'onboard' the motherboard.
3, The PSU calculators have to factor in the broad range of PSU abiltiies - efficiency, age, quality and they have to account for the worst PSU's, the cheapest, the ones that can and likely will catch fire if pushed too hard, and then come up with a "safe" level of recommendation that suits most any given level of hardware.
*I've read links that say a PSU can drop it's level of power output ability signicantly over the years - some articles quote 20 - 30%. The antecpsu calculator for instance asks the question of how many years old is your powersupply.
*Cheapo PSU's don't produce "clean" power with stable "rails" towards the peak of their output. So with that in mind the magic formula is just to inflate the generic PSU wattage requirement levels to where even the cheapest PSU's should be 'safe" to ensure "clean" power is produced. The higher quality PSU's produce stable and clean power on their rails all through the output spectrum. That 80% efficiency rating speaks to the quality of the Sparkle 270 watt PSU. It means that at multiple power output levels the power is clean/stable and above 80% efficient in the AC to DC power conversion.
*Age of the PSU also makes issue with the fact that older (p3 generation PSUs) were designed 5 volt rail heavy. Newer/current PSUs are designed with a 12 volt heavy rail. A typical 500 watt PSU from 5 years ago will have absolutely different amperages assigned to each power rail than a typical 500 watt PSU made today. Many times people that bought a quality power supply five years ago don't upgrade the PSU with a PSU upgrade and because the 12 volt rail is far more important than the 5 volt rail for modern computers their '500 watt PSU' is the equivalent of a 300 watt PSU because it doesn't have the power available on the power rail that counts. Case in point. I have a Sparkle 400 watt PSU. It was quite a monster for its day! High quality, super steady voltages and even adjustable power rail output. BUT It only had 14amps on the 12 volt rail (It was five volt heavy), I bought a new xclio 450 watt PSU for my desktop following that sparkle unit. The Xclio had 28 amps on the 12 volt rail as compared to 14 amps!. Consider the stock HP 230 watt PSU has more 'usable' power than than the high class and expensive sparkle 400 watt PSU did from several years back. But those PSU calculators often don't take these considerations into the equation!!!

Finally - I have that exact power supply and several of the same mods you are moving towards. I did have issues with the PC50, but have had no problems with the sparkle! The sparkle 270 watt PSU, a q9300(which takes more power than your dual core), a 9800GT, 4GB of RAM and a 1.5TB hard-drive. My s3600t works perfectly. I've not had a SINGLE problem with my slimline since the upgrades -- it has remained as stable as any PC can be. Truly, I've not had a single crash the entire time --- That's in several months of daily usage. I stopped using my power rigg, mentioned in my signature and completely and soley use the slimline - it's quiet and does everything I need it to do! You can get feedback from others too, but you should have a similar exp. For the record I was also a PC tech for a company of 25,000 or so with direct support of about 1200 workstations. I built about 800 of them over a nine month period just to give you a idea of my exp, then a server tech, and now an information security tech. I've been around computers a long time and feel confident you'll be A-OK with that 270 watt PSU - despite the generic PSU calculators.

Last edited:
I purchased a case with a motherboard and PSU the model is the s3400f.
So far I have an AMD 5050e, 2Gb Crucial DDR2-800, a Hitatchi 320Gb 7K1000.B HD (supposedly clocked just under the WD Raptor)

From this form I have read to replace the PSU is I want to run any Video card Higher than an 8600GT (even then I could be pushing my luck) so I got the Sparkle 300W PSU to replace the old one, then getting the 20 pin to 24 pin small ATX adapter (or making one have not decided).

But I hear nothing about anyone using another CPU Cooler in their rig...I see the HP part places have it but the cheapest I found it was $70 that's NOT including shipping!
Anyway most of the ones I have seen are too tall or look to big to fit in that small space. I have found only 1 that is a possible Link: http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/p_contents.php?pno=nt05&area=usa
It has a height of 92mm (spec) anyone know the depth of the case with the MB in place?

The only other solution other that bite the bullet and get the HP HSF is using this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835887018
and putting a couple of 40mm fans at the back of the case to vent the heat.

Anyone out there every try using another HSF on their slimline or have a link to a place that sells the HP "stock" HSF at a price that is closer to earth?
Not sure if you resolved this but here is a link to someone who used a Zalman CNPS8000.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=53492

There are lots of these pc on ebay, many bare bones and i am always on the look out for heatsink and fans. It would be good to see if anyone else has managed to get a non-standard Heatsink and Fan installed

I have a few slimline things for sale

Shuttle PC50 300 watt power supply $65 shipped - only used for a very short while. Purchased new retail. I did not find this PSU was reliable with a Q9300 quad core and a 9800GT. It should be quite sufficient for a lesser setup. (quad core and 9800GT is the biggest power draw you can put in a slimline) The PC50 is inaudible in a slimline. It is the PSU I used to make the PSU video linked on the first page.

9500GS - $50 shipped

8400GS - $35 shipped

160 watt HP slimline stock PSU - $25 shipped

Spare slimline case - $30 shipped (with powersupply = $50 shipped)

Extra microatx adapter to make a standard 20 or 24 pin atx PSU work in a slimline - $20 shipped

or make me an offer on any of the above.
Hi there, was just wondering how unreliabel the PC50 was, what were the problems you had with it please?

Hi there, was just wondering how unreliabel the PC50 was, what were the problems you had with it please?

I had intermittent startup problems. It would work part of the time. But the percentage of time it worked correctly was not worth the hassle. To get it to startup when it failed I'd have to unplug the slimline from the outlet then then open up the case and disconnect all the components from the PSU (hard-drive, motherboard, cd-rom, graphics cards, fans etc) I'd then plug it back in to the power outlet - and jump the green and black connections on the ATX 20 pin motherboard connection to start power without anything connected. Then I would remove the jumper between the green and black pins and reconnect everything. As you can imagine - that was annoying. It happened like once a day if I shut down a few times and I gave up. I tried all kinds of different wiring configurations trying to see if it matter which lead I powered what component with. Ultimately I never resolved the problem. I can only believe the PSU was overloaded with my quad core and 9800GT graphics card setup (odd because the 270 watt Sparkle PSU has been 100% reliable and both were new, retail units when I bought them). Maybe I got a bad PC50, but then I've heard others with a similar exp when trying to load heavy wattage draws in on the slimline - so I really think it just gets overloaded quicker than it should. Also when I jump start it using the traditional green and black jumper it starts 100% every single time!!!! So I just feel like it can't handle the quad core and the 9800GT. With this info in mind I'd recommend the Sparkle 270 watt if you want to try to run a quad core and a 9800GT. The sparkle is NOT silent with a 9800GT and quad core unless you mod it like I've done (cut out the stock 40mm fan and replace it with something bigger and quieter). I The PC50 was silent even with the same components. I never heard it spin up to an audible level. It would be a fantastic PSU if it worked reliably with my setup...

The PC50 is nearly inaudible and silence is golden! I think it would be 100% fine with most dual cores and mid level graphics card for instance. The one I have I wouldn't be trying to sell it if I thought there was something wrong with it. I just think it got overtaxed with my heavy duty setup. For anyone who bought mine in the United States - if it didn't work for their slimline setup I'd buy it back from them - they'd just be out shipping.

Last edited:
If I buy the Sparkle 9800GT 512MB 128bit video card along with a Sparkle 270 W PSU, what are some of my option for coolant? I do not want any external fan sticking outside of my HP Slimline case.

Eatfishy,

I not sure you could cool the slimline enough for a 9800GT without an external fan. The 9800GT gets hot!

Think of like a 100 watt lightbulb (video card), and a 65 watt lightbulb (processor), coupled with a bunch of other smaller lights all inside the slimline case, and then think about how much airflow you'd need to keep the inside of the slimline case cool enough to not roast everything.

You might be able to accomplish your question with a line of thin 60 or 70mm fans on the bottom of the case along the vent holes all blowing upwards towards the bottom of the video card, that coupled with a couple 40mm fans on the rear of the case would probably do it- but it'd likely be loud and even with all those fans they would probably move less air than a single externally mounted standard 80 or 120mm fan. A 80mm or 120mm fan mounted on the outside is also a much quieter option.

Archaea:

BTW, I showed my IT guy your post on the ability of the 270W Sparkle PSU to handle the 9800GT Card and his comment was: "OK....he sure seems to know his watts"!!

Now, a new question has come up....I am already doing quite a bit to my SLIMLINE to make it a hot gamer!

One thing I am not doing is to change the Processor to a Quad from a Duo....that is just going a bit too far for me.

The other thing I was going to leave as is was the RAM...it is at 2GB and I had read that the upgrade to 4GB wasn't all that usefull w/o also changing up the O/S to a 64 bit VISTA vs the 32 I am running....not gonna do that either... thankyou!

That meant that my system wouldn't even recognize more than 3 or (maybe 3.5) RAM max and so the gaming ability wasn't going to be all that noticeably better...end of story!

That point is very well documented here:

http://en.kioskea.net/faq/sujet-157...ng-the-4-gb-of-ram-installed#what-can-be-done

Until today, when I see that FRY'S Electronics is offering 4GB DDR2 PC6400 800MHz modules from Corsair for $54.99 less a $25.00 Rebate for a total of only $29.99! THAT got me interested again, as if I can swap out my RAM from 2 to 4 GB for less than 30 bucks...then it's a NO BRAINER!!

THEN (cuz I am, at heart, a conservative kind of fellow)....I decided to check on compatibility issues as my Slimmy is 2 years old now and I recalled from when I bought it that it had a strict limit on RAM, that being the 2 that I got.... PERIOD!

Have a look at CRUCIAL's Web Site's Compatibility Section....very interesting... (Click on the question: "How much memory can my computer handle?)

My s3100y is capped at 2GB:

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Pavilion Slimline s3100y&pl=HP - Compaq&cat=

But, you go to a more recent model, say a s3700y and you are allowed to go up to 4GB:

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Pavilion Slimline s3700y&pl=HP - Compaq&cat=

So, the obvious question is: Can I pop in the 4GB memory in my 3100 and be OK? Is there something different about the internals of the 3700 vs my old 3100 that allows for twice the RAM?

Please get back to me with a response here ASAP as I want to crack the case this weekend and get all of this done at one time.

Thanx (AGAIN)!!

Last edited:
Since the 9800GT will get too hot and will need an external fan, what would be the next best video card to use without adding any external fan to the case?

Yes, I now see that this latest question of mine has already been asked by edi88; "If I upgraded my OS to a 64bit Vista version, what is the max ram I could put into my Slimline s3700y?

....and answered by you as: "4GB MAX"!

However, I am STILL concerned due to the fact that the Crucial site says 4GB is OK for the s3700y but NOT for my s3100y...WHY?

PS: The actual question asked was contingent upon edi88 upgrading his OS to 64bits from the much more typical Vista 32 bit OS....but, as far as I can tell, that doesn't mean that 4GB won't work with a 32 bit OS, just that the system simply won't recognize the full 4GB...Instead, maybe only 3 to 3.5GB of it? If that is the ONLY downside, then I will do it anyway for the extra 1- 1.5GB of RAM (at a minimum, this is still a 50% increase in my RAM) I will enjoy for my 30 bucks!

Last edited:
chuckP,

It totally depends on your motherboard. Look at the first post after you determine what your motherboard model is and see if anyone has successfully put 4gb of RAM in that motherboard. Make sure you do not buy RAM that needs more than 2.0volts to run. Best idea would be to purchase RAM that is specified to run at 1.8 or 1.9 volts

If you determine your motherboard supports 4GB of RAM you will enjoy the additional 1GB or so your OS sees. It does make a difference.

Since the 9800GT will get too hot and will need an external fan, what would be the next best video card to use without adding any external fan to the case?

No additional fans?
no more than a 9500gs in my opinion. (~40 to 50 watt card)

Several people actually melted their aftermarket 8600GT plastic heatsinks when they used them in a slimline with no additional fans. There are pictures somewhere in this thread.

OK.....the Motherboard, according to Krad is a:

(Asus) IPILP-AR (Locktite-GL8E)
Socket: 775
Supports the following processor:
Core 2 Duo E4x00 Dual Core technology (Conroe core)

--------------------
Pentium4 641 (C) HT 3.2GHz(65W)
Core 2 Duo E4500 (C) DC 2.2 GHz

Supports 4GB of RAM in 2x2GB configuration

The HP Site has this listed as the s3100y's board also, but the specs are out of whack!

No E4500 with 2.2 GHz is shown as one of the configs for this board?

It is a nice recap of the motherboard with a layout drawing and pix etc...worth a look at:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...10&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3461603

I do see that I need the 240 pin DDR2 DIMM sockets and the PC6400 Corsair modules at FRY's are rated at 1.8 Watts so they should be OK...

I am gonna get um and rely (once AGAIN) on the advise on HF on a questionable issue!

Hm...the Sparkle 9500GT sounds like a good idea for me to buy. Would the stock PSU of 150 watts be powerful enough for it?

Hey, just wanted to share with you guys a quick peek at the newly REDESIGNED slimline(s). I was browsing through frys.com and came across it while looking at some of the slimline models they offer. Here's an enlarged image:

http://www.frys.com/ac/largerimg/index.jsp?sku=5944594

If you're interested, here's the product page.

edit: Just noticed, expandable to 8GB of DDR2 ram?!? :eek: And what the heck is a GeForce G210?? I don't know, but I like it!! (low profile GT200 series graphics card?!?!? :eek::D )) I'm getting my hands on one of these suckers soon as they come out!!!!:cool:

Last edited:
For $10.00 more than Fry's net price of $29.99 (Newegg: $59.99- $20.00 rebate= $39.99) I am going to get the latest model of Corsair's XMS2 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) sticks.

Note the pix on Newegg's web site showing the newly added "GAMING HEAT SINK"!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145241

I can only think that this is a great improvement in keeping these sticks cool and God knows that we NEED all of that we can get with our compact and stuffed SFF cases!!

Anyway, if anyone is thinking of upgrading their memory, this brand of RAM was well reviewed before this latest improvment and can only be even better performing because of it.

I've been looking at the past few posts... On the ATI side I am running the HD 4650 and it's cool and quiet.

On the PSU I learned never to ask (restated) MY IT guy anything, usually I end up with the old it'll never work routine and they will quote some out of date calculator......LOL. Anyway as stated before they always use a very extreme factor of safety and remember these places are also trying to sell "upgrades" meaning the higher wattage and higher price.

Most video card company's also overstate the PSU requirements basing their calculations on a high end system as well.

I have a 250W running the HD4650 but it is also an energy efficient card with a 45W CPU and 2 GB of RAM....the computer barely gets warm. Though it's not a heavy gamer either, however ripping and editing video does require some heavy use of all the components at the same time and have not had a problem yet.

For any heat that might be generated I did put 1 x 40mm Mini Kaze to vent the back and 1 x Mini Kaze on the MB Chipset which made a big difference on how hot/warm the heat sink got when the system was running.

I did get an 80mm Fan and a cover incase I need to vent more heat but don't see the need yet. I would probably put it on the top of the case.

Last edited:
My order for my 4 GB of RAM is now in at Newegg and I am NOT planning on cancelling it....but, I must say once again that the idea of posting a question on several computer forums and expecting anything like consistent responses is just a dream!!!

This "expert" flat out states it ain't gonna work based on the websites he links to.

Maybe he is right....Has someone in this group successfully installed 4 GB of RAM on the exact same Asus IPILP-AR (Locktite-GL8E) motherboard I have in my s3100y ?????

Anyway, here is the exchange of posts (Sorry, but I couldn't link to the site, which is the CRUCIAL MEMORY EXPERTS FORUM?):

================================================================

HP SLIMLINE s3100y UPGRADE FROM 2GB MEMORY TO 4GB-COMPATIBILITY ISSUE?

06-19-2009 03:03 PM

My SLIMLINE HP has a max allowable upgrade limit of 2GB per this:

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Pavilion Slimline s3100y&pl=HP - Compaq&cat=

A VERY similar PC, the s3700y, however, can apparently handle up to 4GB:

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Pavilion Slimline s3700y&pl=HP - Compaq&cat=

A quick review of the specs of these two HP PCs shows almost no difference...but, there must be something?

I really want to upgrade my RAM so that my hobby (gaming) will run and look better (I am already going to a better graphics card and an increased power PSU to run it).

Can I go ahead with the 4GB upgrade anyway? What are the risks/ consequences....it just won't work or it will, but there will be no noticeable difference in performance from my existing 2GB RAM?

(I am already aware that with a 32bit Vista OS that I can't expect to be able to use more than 3GB of the 4GB anyway)

Chuck Proche

Re: HP SLIMLINE s3100y UPGRADE FROM 2GB MEMORY TO 4GB-COMPATIBILITY ISSUE?

06-19-2009 09:22 PM

SORRY TO SAY BUT YOUR COMPUTER JUST WON'T TAKE 4 GIGS OF MEMORY NO MATTER WHAT YOU PUT IN IT. BELOW ARE TWO LINKS TO HP'S WEB SITE.

The first tells you how to find the specifications of your computer and the second is a link to the motherboard specs for your slimline computer.

As you can see 2 gig is the max. I don't know what will happen if you put in 2x2 gig sticks. Maybe the computer will just see only 2 gig, maybe the computer won't boot at all as the maximum amount of memory per slot is 1 gig.

Notice that the two motherboards use different chipsets, yours (the Asus IPILP-AR/Locktite GL8E in the s3100y) uses an Intel 945G, the other (the Asus
M2N61-AR/Acacia-GL6E in the s3700y) uses an NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430.

That's the "crucial" difference you missed.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...86&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3385413&lang=en

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...10&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3461603

P10RS

===============================================================

Any further advise....??? The proof will be when I snap in the sticks and crank it up and it works (OR NOT!)

Last edited:
Hm...the Sparkle 9500GT sounds like a good idea for me to buy. Would the stock PSU of 150 watts be powerful enough for it?

You shouldn't have a "150" watt PSU. You should have a 160 or a 180 or a 230 as stock options. I would not put a 9500GT in anything but a 230 watt stock PSU.

With a 180 watt PSU you could probably get by with a 9500GS (not a GT).
With a 160 watt PSU (you'll have an AMD slimline) I wouldn't even put a 9500GS in there until you got a 45 watt AMD processor.

The proof will be when I snap in the sticks and crank it up and it works (OR NOT!)

TRUE!

This guys is correct in his description of your two exp. options options if the motherboard doesn't support the RAM. I've seen both of those options happen in my exp. with building PCs. He is also correct in his explantation of your 'crucial difference' The chipset is basically the whole importance/brains/communication system of any motherboard. Older chipsets have limitations over newer chipsets - often that includes memory size maximums --- simply because there wasn't any memory sticks that big when the motherboard was designed, or they were so outerspace expensive that they didn't care to add compliance. This is actually quite common. If you think about it, how can you build compatibility for something that doesn't exist yet.

That being said --- [H]ardForum poster KRAD of this forum states your motherboard supports 2x2GB. If it works for him, it should work for you. The PC model doesn't matter - the motherboard (and there in the motherboard chipset is what matters) There have been multiple times in this thread we've proven HP's compatibility list wrong/outdated and I see no reason for KRAD to lie about his exp...My guess is you'll get your 4gb of RAM and it'll boot right up and you'll see a significant improvement with the extra 1GB.

Hacad --- saying never ask an IT guy!

I'M AN IT GUY! :D:cool:;)

Last edited:
I just sent a PM from within HF to Krad asking him to specifically confirm his findings that 4GB of RAM would work properly with my motherboard and chip.

He hasn't posted since 4/27/09 so I wonder if he is still browsing this Forum?

Damn....I really don't want to be the guinea pig (sp?) for this experiment!!

PS: I think Newegg has a pretty liberal return policy....but, if the RAM simply isn't compatible, I wonder if they would take it back for a refund once I have installed it and tried to use it?

Sorry about that Archaea....guess there are always exceptions.

Maybe I should restate that one since most the IT guys I have ever worked with, with the exception of one would always blame "software" anytime you had a problem with your PC and would always just recommend a "flush and reload" of my system rather than troubleshoot....oh boy! Guess I could see it would be faster that way but it sucks when you have to keep reloading your files/preferences/etc..

To be honest I solved and fixed the last two problems I had with my system at work as well as a few others....LOL maybe I should be the IT guy at my office.

Guess I better delete that so as not to offend anyone.

Last edited:
You shouldn't have a "150" watt PSU. You should have a 160 or a 180 or a 230 as stock options. I would not put a 9500GT in anything but a 230 watt stock PSU.

With a 180 watt PSU you could probably get by with a 9500GS (not a GT).
With a 160 watt PSU (you'll have an AMD slimline) I wouldn't even put a 9500GS in there until you got a 45 watt AMD processor.

My model number is S3400F, so how would I know what the PSU watt and the Processor watt?

Also, upon searching on this forum. SAPPHIRE 100253HDMI Radeon HD 4650 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Low Profile sounds like another good choice and of course, I would want to upgrade my PSU to maybe 270 - 300 watt. Is there a need for an external fan for the Radeon HD 4650 ???

Last edited:
After more research on this topic, I have decided NOT to upgrade my 2GB of RAM to 4GB at this time. I contacted Newegg and cancelled my order for the 4GB of RAM.

The reasons are that I now have even more input re the fact that my motherboard and associated chipset simply will not accept and recognize more than 1GB per slot for a total of 2GB!

The other reason comes from a couple of gaming Forums where I was advised that IF I properly manage the resources of my PC and NOT do other RAM hungry things while gaming (like having other programs and applications running) that 90% of the time, 2GB will be enough to properly play any games I might want to engage in.

So, let's first see if I have a problem (after upgrading the Graphics Card) before trying something highly questionable to fix it?

I would go ahead now IF I could confirm someone had sucesfully done the exact same upgrades with the exact same specs as I have in my SLIMLINE...no word from Krad yet?

hello everyone- ive been reading this site for a week now and i thought i had it all figured out but ran into a problem. I have a Slimline s7600n, im trying to run games on it and decided to upgrade it. So i got a In-Win 300w power supply and a sparkle 9800gt card along with the correct adapters to make it all work. Well heres where i run into problems, my mother board (asus A8N-BR) has a AGP slot not a PIC-e slot! damn that ruined my day. So as i was hoping to upgrade the processor next anyways here i am wondering what motherboard i can get with better options for me. I need a PCI-e slot and i am hoping to get into a quad core processor. Now i think (just by looking at different pics) that a newer, BLACK case, slimline is a bit taller since it has two slots on the back as mine only has one. Basicaly im trying to get another motherboard for this computer, without having to buy a whole new computer all together. What should i be looking for? Im not up to date on the slimline timeline so im kind of clueless to when they started putting PCI-e slots on the motherboards.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00783691&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=3245532

here's the link to the motherboard specs. you can see it says PCI slot on the diagram, but its not a PCI-e 82 pin kind, its a AGP 66 pin.

Last edited:
The PSU is 160W, I swapped mine out. However I probably could have ran my current system on the 160W PSU, although I pretty sure I would have been taxing it at full load if not overloading it at times.

A work around would be to replace the 65W CPU with a 45W one...then sell the 65W on Ubid or Ebay....the AM2 X2 5050e can be bought at Fry's for under 60 bucks.

Found some info on using X-Fi drivers on the Realtek audio chipset on our HP Slimlines. It could be placebo effect but after installing the drivers it does seem to sound a bit cleaner with better channel seperation. I'm using COAX Digital Out to an AVR.

X-Fi Drivers for Realtek

Chuck,

Sorry for the late reply. I don't browse this forum as much anymore.

Yes, I have 4GB installed.

Here is the RAM I bought and installed: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134192

I don't think my computer supports PC6400; that's why I bought PC5300.

Here are my system specs:
Mainboard : Asus LOCKTITE
Chipset : Intel i945G/GZ
Processor : Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 @ 2200 MHz
Physical Memory : 4096 MB (2 x 2048 DDR2-SDRAM )
Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT
Hard Disk : ST3500630AS (500 GB)
DVD-Rom Drive : HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW GGC-H20L
DVD-Rom Drive : IBKX OTUFG16F4 SCSI CdRom Device
Monitor Type : Hewlett Packard HP w2408 - 24 inches
Network Card : Intel Corporation 82801GB I/O Controller Hub LAN
Operating System : Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium Home Edition 6.00.6001 Service Pack 1
DirectX : Version 10.00

Hope it works out for you.

Krad:

Thank you so much for your response! Of course, as you can read above, I pulled the plug on ordering 4GB of RAM from Newegg after more research on some other boards with apparent "Experts" on this topic advising me NOT to upgrade to 4GB of RAM.

Now you confirm that with the EXACT same specs as my PC you have installed 4GB of RAM without any dire consequences.

However, can you also confirm that your PC RECOGNIZES that 4GB of RAM (2X2GB Sticks) is installed. You will only be able to use (and the BIOS Screen may only show) 3-3.5 of the 4GB of RAM with a 32bit Vista OS. To be able to show and to utilize the entire 4GB you would have to be running a 64bit Vista OS (You don't specify which OS you are running 32 or 64bit?)

Anyway, the last question I have for you is this: Can you check your BIOS Set Up Screen Display (See below) and VERIFY that 2x2GB=4GB (3-3.5 if you are running a 32bit OS) is showing on your Bios Set UP Screen?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How to verify how much memory is installed and usable:

Use the following steps to find the exact memory configuration and how much memory

is installed:

1.Turn off the computer.

2.Turn on the computer and immediately press the F1 or F10 key repeatedly until a BIOS Setup Screen displays.

3.From the Main screen look at the Installed Memory line. This is the total amount of memory currently installed (and recognized by the computer) and the speed at which it is currently operating.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is one thing that your PC still works OK with 4GB of RAM installed and another if it is actually able to use it or if it is only using what HP says is the MAX RAM for this particular configuration of the SLIMLINE....2GB?

Finally, it looks like the DDR2 PC2-6400 (800MHz) sticks are backward compatible with the DDR2 PC2-5300 (667MHz) sticks. Since the HP site doesn't indicate that the 6400s are supported (although I believe they would work OK) it is just as well to go with the 5300s which are usually a bit cheaper as well.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DDR2 PC2-6400 (commonly referred to as DDR2-800) memory is DDR2 designed for use in systems with a 400MHz front-side bus (providing an 800MT/s data transfer rate). The "6400" refers to the module's bandwidth (the maximum amount of data it can transfer each second), which is 6400MB/s, or 6.4GB/s. PC2-6400 is backward-compatible with the PC2-5300. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the excerpt from the HP Site that is causing all the hesitation on my behalf:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Memory Specs for the Intel 945G Chipset and ASUS IPILP-AR Locktite motherboard in the HP SLIMLINE s3100y PC

• Dual channel memory architecture (1 DIMM per channel)
• Two 240-pin DDR2 DIMM sockets
• Supported DIMM types:
o PC2-4200 (533 MHz)
o PC2-5300 (667 MHz)
• Single or double-sided DIMMs
• Non-ECC memory only
• Supports 1 GB DDR2 DIMMs
• Supports up to 2 GB

Last edited:
Chuck,

Sorry for the late reply. I don't browse this forum as much anymore.

Yes, I have 4GB installed.

Here is the RAM I bought and installed: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134192

I don't think my computer supports PC6400; that's why I bought PC5300.

Here are my system specs:
Mainboard : Asus LOCKTITE
Chipset : Intel i945G/GZ
Processor : Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 @ 2200 MHz
Physical Memory : 4096 MB (2 x 2048 DDR2-SDRAM )
Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT
Hard Disk : ST3500630AS (500 GB)
DVD-Rom Drive : HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW GGC-H20L
DVD-Rom Drive : IBKX OTUFG16F4 SCSI CdRom Device
Monitor Type : Hewlett Packard HP w2408 - 24 inches
Network Card : Intel Corporation 82801GB I/O Controller Hub LAN
Operating System : Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium Home Edition 6.00.6001 Service Pack 1
DirectX : Version 10.00

Hope it works out for you.

Krad: You state your Chipset is an "Intel i945G/GZ"

Which is it....the "G" (the "Performance" Chip) or the "GZ (The "Mainstream" Chip)"?

Per the INTEL Chart at:

http://compare.intel.com/pcc/showchart.aspx?mmID=144,8765&familyID=10&culture=en-US

This makes ALL the difference in the world! The "G" is upgradable to 4GB of RAM but the "GZ" can only handle 2GB of RAM!

The HP Motherboard Spec Sheet for the s3100y states that the Chipset on the motherboard is the "G" but that it is only upgradable to 2GB!!!! (That looks like it is incorrect on the face of it if the detailed chipset chart is to be believed??)

I can't accept how complex this SIMPLE question has become.....it would help if these manufacturers would put out accurate spec sheets for their products...

So, Krad, you might have a "G" chipset and I might have a "GZ". In that case, even if your PC shows 3+ of RAM being installed and usable, I might put in 4GB and only show 2GB?

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS: How can you tell which Chipset is in your particular PC...where can you find that info?

I am going to contact HP Tech Support if none of you know how to determine which chipset you have, but I HATE to be put on hold for 30 mins and then end up talking to some nerd in Mombai India!!

Installed memory: 4096MB/PC2-5300

CPU-Z indicates the i945G/GZ chipset.

Can't tell you more unless I open the machine up.

Ok so I cant say ive read the 100 psges or so here but I have skimmed through many.
My question is what is the absolute best gaming video card I can get w/o modding the pc with a new psu or whatever else. I have the hp slimline s3713w. It has amd 45w processor and the 160w psu. I pulled the modem out for a little less power draw, and it has 3 gigs of ram. Please let me know, leaving my pc stock, what would be my best gaming card?

Ok so I cant say ive read the 100 psges or so here but I have skimmed through many.
My question is what is the absolute best gaming video card I can get w/o modding the pc with a new psu or whatever else. I have the hp slimline s3713w. It has amd 45w processor and the 160w psu. I pulled the modem out for a little less power draw, and it has 3 gigs of ram. Please let me know, leaving my pc stock, what would be my best gaming card?

9500GS or 8600GT.

Both should be okay with that setup.

9500GS or 8600GT.

Both should be okay with that setup.

Archaea,

I been reading up on this forum and you seem to offer some pretty good advice. I have a S3400F model and want to buy either the 9500 GT or Radeon HD 4650. Do you think the sparkle 270 Watt is enough? Also, is getting an additional fan necessary?

Here is the transcript of my chat with....."ROHIT" from India"!!!:

TRANSCRIPT OF CHAT TO HP TECH SUPPORT CHAT FEATURE:

JUNE 22, 2009 19:56 PST
Thank you for contacting HP Chat. If, after the chat, you need further assistance, please visit our website or contact us again via Chat or E-mail.
CHARLES PROCHE : I WANT TO UPGRADE FROM 2GB OF RAM TO 4GB ON MY PC'S ASUS IPILP-AR (LOCKTITE) MOTHERBOARD. YOUR SITE SAYS THE INTEL 945G CHIPSET MAX IS 2GB BUT INTEL'S OWN SITE STATES THAT THE EXACT SAME CHIPSET WILL TAKE 4GB? CAN I PUT IN 4GB OR IS 2GB THE MAX?
[An agent will be with you shortly.]
[You are now chatting with RCHAURASIA01_Rohit .]
RCHAURASIA01_Rohit : Welcome to HP Total Care for desktop support. My name is Rohit. Please give me a few moments while I review your issue description.
RCHAURASIA01_Rohit : May I know the Model number, Serial number and Product number of your computer? Please press Ctrl + Alt + S (simultaneously)on the keyboard to see the details then copy and paste here to send them to me.
CHARLES PROCHE :
Model #: s3100y
Product #: GG758AV-ABA
Serial #: MXG7300318
Software Build #: 73NAv3PcA2
Service ID #: 080-907
PCBRAND: Pavilion
RCHAURASIA01_Rohit : Thank you for the information, Charles
RCHAURASIA01_Rohit : The motherboard in your PC supports the following memory features:

240-pin DDR2-DIMMs
PC2-5300 (667 MHz) DDR2-SDRAM
PC2-4200 (533 MHz) DDR2-SDRAM
unbuffered, non-ECC
2.0 GB maximum installable memory
Single or double-sided DIMMs
supports Dual Channel memory configurations

RCHAURASIA01_Rohit : Charles, as you can see, the maximum memory you can upgrade to is the 2GB RAM that you already have installed
CHARLES PROCHE : SEE INTEL'S SITE AT
http://ark.intel.com/chipset.aspx?familyID=8765
CHARLES PROCHE : WHY DO THEY SAY THAT 4GB CAN BE HANDLED BY THIS CHIPSET IF IT IS ONLY 2GB ACCORDING TO HP?
RCHAURASIA01_Rohit : According to HP the components added to this PC at the time of shipment on this motherboard supports a maximum of only2GB RAM. This is the amount of RAM recommended by HP for this model.
CHARLES PROCHE : OK...THANK YOU FOR YOUR INFO
================================================================
A tech at FRY'S says that it is the BIOS that controls the amount of RAM that the chipset on the motherboard can support?

I wonder why, if Intel builds the 945G chipset to handle 4GB of RAM, would HP, in effect, "throttle down" that usefull amount of RAM upgrade to only 2GB???? (It seems that later models of the SLIMLINE were shipped with a motherboard that DID allow for up to 4GB......guess I just bought mine too soon!!!!!!!!!!!)

My SO says that I am becoming obsessive over this issue and that I should just be happy with the extra performance I will get from the 9800GT video card upgrade (which will be done tomorrow AM) and enjoy the gaming and FORGET about a RAM upgrade as well ...Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm....good advise but hard for someone like me to take!

Last edited:
Archaea,

I been reading up on this forum and you seem to offer some pretty good advice. I have a S3400F model and want to buy either the 9500 GT or Radeon HD 4650. Do you think the sparkle 270 Watt is enough? Also, is getting an additional fan necessary?

Absolutely on the Sparkle 270 being enough power for anything you can pack in the slimline.

Yes to the additional fan - IMO - even if it is just a single small 40mm fan on the back of the case. It'll make your PC run cooler and last longer + add reliability.

Here is the transcript of my chat with....."ROHIT" from India"!!!:

My SO says that I am becoming obsessive over this issue and that I should just be happy with the extra performance I will get from the 9800GT video card upgrade (which will be done tomorrow AM) and enjoy the gaming and FORGET about a RAM upgrade as well ...Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm....good advise but hard for someone like me to take!

Depends on how tight money is. IMO buy the RAM. If it doesn't work - resell it on ebay or in this forum. Lose 5 or 10 bucks in the process -- no big deal. As mentioned before - HP has definately been wrong before. Want proof? Ask Rohit if you can put a 9800GT in your slimline. When he says he's sorry but the slimlines cannot support a 9800GT then you can say Archaea from [H]ardForum and others have been running a 9800GT in their slimlines for month without issue. Back on the RAM topic -- It's $40 bucks. That's not too much to lose sleep over. As far as the speed - Your motherboard, will not benefit from the PC6400, but it can run it and your motherboard --- it just won't run it at full speed --- so get whatever is cheaper. The AMD based slimlines can take advantage of the PC6400, but the Intel based slimlines will only run at PC5300 speeds. I have PC6400 RAM running at PC5300 speeds in my s3600t.

Back