The highly rated HP Pavilion Slimline PC thread

sup all,
I posted here around a month ago about my mission to upgrade my power supply and graphics card. I got both the RADEON HD 4650 and my 250W power supply and installed the 4650 into my computer.
however, whe i removed the power supply, i realized that i need a 24 pin to 24 small pin connector so it could fit the main power connector to the motherboard. I can only find the 20 to 24 small pin connector that Archaea posted on the first page but i have no clue where to look to find the next one. any places i could find one?

US 250 W power supply(rebranded seasonic)

You'll need the same adapter we all needed most likely. The 20 to 24 pin adapter. TYPICALLY the extra four pins on the PSU to make it a 24 pin, are unclippable, meaning they disconnect. If not ---- you'll likely have to modify the 20 to 24 pin adapter by breaking the plastic off the end, because I've never seen anything other than the 20 to 24 pin adapter that atxpowersupplies sells.

I think i might have actually found a way around the small 24 pin and the big 24 pin on the power supply. Buy a 20 to 24 pin converter for the hp slimline's motherboard AND buy a 24 to 20 pin converter from the same site. it fixes the problem of compatability adn it will only cost 5 bucks more.

@Archaea
I did find something that might be a converter on newegg
24 to 20+4 connector
I think this might be it but I don't know if the 20 + 4 end will fit on the small pin motherboard.

It won't. That is just an extension cable with full size atx ends.

As I mentioned in my previous post - what I hope you should be able to do - everything I've seen can do this -- is unclip the extra pins if they aren't needed. Like shown in this image. If your powersupply ATX end won't do this then yes I suppose you'll need an extra adapter if you don't want to modify the ends with a clippers or dremel.

atx-20-24-pin-split-connector.jpg

That Low Power 9800GT card does not look like a low-profile card for a Slimline!? The Chinese English is fairly low-profile, though! ;)

well the sparkle 9800GT showed up today and is rocking !!!!!!!!! easiest upgrade I have done in awhile.

put my WEI score at 5.9 for graphics.

Last edited:
I have the same PSU all you have to do is break off the extra clip if you ordered it from itx depot then you don't need to use 24 to 24 small...if you check closely you will notice that the extra 4 pins do snap off and you can use the standard converter.

It works I have two of these running using the 20 to 24 small connector. Along with the HD 4650.

I loaded Microsofts latest Release of Windows 7 on my secondary PC the HP s3400f it runs real nice on the slimline....I did originally have Vista but it seemed to run slow, then loaded XP Pro which is my usual standard, but once I loaded Windows 7 WOW!

I like it, it's very smooth and it seems to have a lot of the irritations Vista have removed if you are on vista now I would say abandon ship. The boot time even seems faster than XP. I have it running with Java Open Office.

There are rumors about an upgrade sale starting on June 26th if it's true I will be down there getting two or three copies unless they are going to limit purchases. This is supposedly the upgrade version only.

I loaded Microsofts latest Release of Windows 7 on my secondary PC the HP s3400f it runs real nice on the slimline....I did originally have Vista but it seemed to run slow, then loaded XP Pro which is my usual standard, but once I loaded Windows 7 WOW!

I like it, it's very smooth and it seems to have a lot of the irritations Vista have removed if you are on vista now I would say abandon ship. The boot time even seems faster than XP. I have it running with Java Open Office.

There are rumors about an upgrade sale starting on June 26th if it's true I will be down there getting two or three copies unless they are going to limit purchases. This is supposedly the upgrade version only.

The Windows upgrade is for those who purchase a new pc starting June 26 at which time you will receive an upgrade certificate. The retail shipping date for win 7 is sometime in late October

@hacad
oh wow, I did not notice that the main part can be taken it off turning into a 20 pin. Thank you hacad. You just saved me 7 dollars.

Well, the HP $400 off $999 coupon was enough to make me get on one of these:
Slimline S3750T
Core 2 Quad 8200
4GB DDR2
500GB HDD
512MB Radeon HD 4350 with TV Tuner
BD-ROM drive
For $599 plus tax. Not too shabby. The intention is for this to replace the PS3 in the living room because at the present time there's no native Netflix support and playing Hulu, CBS, etc. through the browser sucks (I know about PlayOn, but besides the newly purchased Slimline my desktop and notebook are Macs). I don't do any gaming at the present time and the PS3 was used for the blu-ray/media center functionality so that can go to another room now. Long time PC user, but this will be my first time using a PC strictly as a HTPC. This is in the living room with the HD-DVR from Cox, so I don't need it as a PVR, just for blu-ray and streaming content (Netflix, Hulu, etc.) and MP3s, etc. Is there anything special I should know about using a HTPC like as far as codecs and all that jazz? I don't view much downloaded content, just the blu-ray and streaming like I mentioned. Thanks!

If I upgraded my OS to a 64bit Vista version, what is the max ram I could put into my Slimline s3700y?

I would get the max you can put in that model....make sure it's dual channel since these support dual channel.
However if I were you I would just wait and get Window 7, it requires less memory than Vista I am running Windows 7 RC on 2GB right now, without a problem, it's worth a look. Plus everyone I have known running the 64-bit version has had problems with something.

Last edited:
I have a left over OEM 9500GS and the fan stopped working a lot time ago. I cant find an original to replace it. Does anyone know of an after market fan that would match the mounting posts of the OEM.

It gets blazing hot without it

Hi everybody
Ive been following this thread for a long time(first time posting though) and now looking to upgrade my video card. I have a s3500f slimline and installed a geforce 8400gs after i couldn’t stand the integrated graphics and I’m looking for something more powerful this time around. Im probably going upgrade to the In- Win 300W power supply, it seems to be the favourite here. The video card is were im stuck, im looking at the SPARKLE GeForce 9800 GT and the Galaxy GeForce 9600 GT low profile cards. I have read that the 9800 is the fastest low profile card you can get to date but the 9600 seems just as fast. both seem to be light years better than the 8400 but im wondering which one is the best. Any suggestions whould be very helpful, thanks

9800GT is faster than the 9600GT PERIOD

The 9800GT will also draws a bit more power and generates slightly more heat.

The Sparkle low profile 9800GT and Galaxy low profile 9600GT are both equipped with 512 MB GDDR- 3 memory and they both have the desired 256- bit bus allowing for decent framerates at higher resolutions.

BUT the Galaxy 9600 GT only has has 64 stream processors. The Sparkle 9800GT has 112 stream processors.

"Stream processors are newly implemented on nvidia's dx10 cards to replace the previous generation of pixel shaders, and now stream processors handle all the 3d operations such as the pixel shader, vertex shader and physics shader operations.
Yes, the number of stream processors are important as with more processors, more operations can be performed at any single moment. The number of stream processors has a significant impact, expecially in DX10."

If you found the 9600GT for significantly less than the 9800GT you can go that route, but it appears to me they are not too different in price based on a newegg search and with that in mind I'd definately go 9800GT. The sparkle 9800GT is the fastest video card available in low profile and probably will be for some time.

Sparkle 9800GT = $109 at newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187061

Galaxy 9600GT = $109 - $20 rebate = $89 at newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814162016

Out of this comparison, for $20 more, definately go 9800GT because you'll have double the stream processors!

Last edited:
Hi everybody
Ive been following this thread for a long time(first time posting though) and now looking to upgrade my video card. I have a s3500f slimline and installed a geforce 8400gs after i couldn’t stand the integrated graphics and I’m looking for something more powerful this time around. Im probably going upgrade to the In- Win 300W power supply, it seems to be the favourite here. The video card is were im stuck, im looking at the SPARKLE GeForce 9800 GT and the Galaxy GeForce 9600 GT low profile cards. I have read that the 9800 is the fastest low profile card you can get to date but the 9600 seems just as fast. both seem to be light years better than the 8400 but im wondering which one is the best. Any suggestions whould be very helpful, thanks

I have the in-win PSU and the 9800. Killer combo so dont even hesitate

No way with the 180wt - it may boot and run for a while, but you're really near the edge.

Bear in mind the 230wt PSU's are fairly recent - most people on here likely have 160/180wt systems, so a PSU swap is necessary for likely the majority in this thread. When you factor that in, and add the fact that the 9800 is likely going to be quieter, better performing and cheaper, this 9600GT variant doesn't make much sense for most existing slimline owners.

Acer Aspire slimline owners though it's the only option, due to the PCI-E16x slot being on the outside, so no dual-slot coolers unfortunately.

I have a left over OEM 9500GS and the fan stopped working a lot time ago. I cant find an original to replace it. Does anyone know of an after market fan that would match the mounting posts of the OEM.

It gets blazing hot without it

really appreciate any thoughts on this.

here are pics of the fan and the mounting points

DSC00494.jpg

DSC00495.jpg

Last edited:
really appreciate any thoughts on this.

here are pics of the fan and the mounting points

DSC00494.jpg

DSC00495.jpg

your best option is going to be to take the card with you to a store like microcenter and just look at the options in person if you can't tell from seeing a newegg product description. That's a question that you are unlikely to find a clear answer for...but good luck!

I just applied it on my s3600t...Worked fine, but it looks like it officially only supposedly fixes something I care nothing about. It does give a new BIOS screen, a bit better looking more modern background with the HP magicans hand logo. I think it MAY have added CPU virtualization (for VM use) as an option, but I can't rememeber if I had that before or not. That's the only thing in the CMOS/BIOS settings that I wasn't sure I'd seen before at a casual glance.

Title: Irvine-GL6E Motherboard BIOS Update

Version: 5.23

Description: Irvine-GL6E Motherboard BIOS update resolves an issue with the system appearing to hang during restart if an HP Personal Media Drive is connected.

Last edited:
As you can see by the specs of my set up below, I have the GeForce 8400GS card in my Slimline HP.

I have become interested in gaming with a specialty in WWII Aviation games. I am disappointed in the performance of my PC as compared to my friend who has a GeForce 9800GT card.

I have just spent hours reading much of this, and some other similar Forums, regarding swapping out the 8400GS for a more robust card that can render the graphics better and allow a higher FR to get more enjoyment from these games.

The most frustrating thing is the highly conflicting info regarding if you even need to upgrade the PU at all when swapping out the Card for a more robust one? Mine puts out the common 180Watts and 12.5AMPS.

When you read the specs about how many watts are needed to power the moderatly high end gaming cards you see 300W and up consistently.

How is it then, that some posters state that they upgraded to a much higher performing card and did NOT simultaneously upgrade their PU?

So, PLEASE someone who really knows...answer this one question for me (and maybe for some naive noobies here):

Is there a low profile and low POWER (as in 180 Watts or less) Gaming Graphics card out there that can be easily swapped for my 8400GS and make a significant and noticeable difference in the look and performance of some of the newer and most popular games avaliable today?

I thought I had found the PERFECT solution for my needs when I read that Galaxy has a new special 9600GT Low Profile Low Power card that consumes less than 60W. Then, upon further reading in a review on another site, I see that ...what a surprise!...."Low Power" to Galaxy means a miniumum of 300 watts!! So much for that bit of good news!

So, please explain to me how it is that a card that consumes less than 60watts to run needs 300 watts to operate...I am missing something here..for sure!

Here is the URL for the write up on this "miracle" Graphics Card:

http://vr-zone.com/articles/galaxy-has-a-low-profile-low-power-9600gt-for-htpc/6706.html?doc=6706

Thank you for your hoped for definitive response!

PS: My WEI Score for Gaming Graphics is currently 4.4

your best option is going to be to take the card with you to a store like microcenter and just look at the options in person if you can't tell from seeing a newegg product description. That's a question that you are unlikely to find a clear answer for...but good luck!

we dont have a microcenter in our area. only option is compusa and thats a joke.

I currently have Intel Core 2 Duo E4700 2.6GHz in my 3600t. Whats the highest cpu upgrade I can make with this motherboard.

As you can see by the specs of my set up below, I have the GeForce 8400GS card in my Slimline HP.

I have become interested in gaming with a specialty in WWII Aviation games. I am disappointed in the performance of my PC as compared to my friend who has a GeForce 9800GT card.

I have just spent hours reading much of this, and some other similar Forums,

You haven't read enough, this topic was discussed as recently as the last two pages in this thread!!!! I know the thread is unruly and long at this point but probably would be a good idea to read from the back of the thread to the beginning. Basically you shouldn't put anything faster than an 8600GT (8 series) or 9500GS (9 series) in with a stock 180 watt power supply with an Intel CPU if you want to ensure reliability 100%. If you upgrade the powersupply put in a 9800GT for $109 from newegg and you'll be pleased as peach with the gaming performance! Read the first post and the last 50 pages and you'll likely have every answer you question.

Last edited:
I currently have Intel Core 2 Duo E4700 2.6GHz in my 3600t. Whats the highest cpu upgrade I can make with this motherboard.

This is uknown. Last time I reviewed this (I own a s3600t as well) HP states any intel dual core CPU that ends in a 00 is compatible --- but then on their list of supported processors it doesn't list the poplular e8400 for instance. The s3600t actually sells with a quad core q9300 which is definately the fastest thing I've seen in the slimline. But originally around 1/3 to 1/2 of the way through this long thread there was discussion that somebody said if your s3600t didn't come with a quad core it wouldn't work with a quad core because the ones that come with the quad core have a specific BIOS. Now I just upgraded my BIOS on the s3600t with a Q9300 last night to the newest generic one on the website and it still works fine ---- SO you might be able to buy a Q9300 processor and update your BIOS to the 5.23 version talked about a few posts above and be just fine! A quad core is DEFINATELY a solid upgrade and should be thoughtfully considered.

we dont have a microcenter in our area. only option is compusa and thats a joke.

Newegg should have pictures of the VGA heatsinks you can buy. I suspect that's a standard VGA heatsink mounting pin layout - but I can't know for certain.

OK....I did what was suggested and spent another 3 hours or so reading this thread!

I am about ready to pull the trigger and so I put together this list of the 4 items it appears I need to buy to complete the upgrade:

NEWEGG

SPARKLE SX98GT512D3L-NM GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card

$109.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187061&Tpk=9800GT LOW PROFILE

CENSUSPC

Sparkle Power SPI270LE 270 Watts FLEX ATX (20/24-Pin) RoHS Power Supply

$49.99

http://www.censuspc.com/Sparkle-Pow...-Pin-RoHS-Power-Supply-Bulk-pack-pr-5902.html

ATX POWER SUPPLIES

20 Pin to small 24 Pin ATX Converter Adapter for HP Slimline Product Number 2024SmallConverter

$14.99

http://www.atxpowersupplies.com/20-pin-to-24-pin-hp-slimline-atx-converter.htm

APEVIA

APEVIA 1 x 4 PIN TO 1 x PCI EXPRESS Cable- CVT 46

$2.99

http://www.apevia.com/ProductsInfo.asp?KEY=CVT46

Am I missing anything?

The only remaining question is that of cooling....THAT is such a tough thing to parse out from reading so many conflicting posts...some are almost panicky in warning of the dire consequences expected to result from frying your PC due to creating an inadequate cooling environment due to changed (and hotter running) components. Others are much more blase about it with input regarding just how much heat (over 100C!!!!) that can be handled by the HP without any great distress...and even suggesting that no additional cooling is required when doing an upgrade like I am planning?

I would like to use the USB powered mini fans solution vs having to add the task of wiring up the fans to the internal power source. The one mentioned here is the "Blue Light Special" LED lit fans removed from a Laptop Cooling Pad....Hmmmmmm..don't know if I could live with that distracting light?

But, I do want to err on the safe side and add some cooling to my SLIMLINE.

How about this Thermaltake cooling fan, which is meant to be freestanding.....Does it look like it would be possible to attach it (with screws?) to the outside of the rear of the case where the vent holes are? (I need all my ports so I can't afford to block any with the fan!)

http://cableorganizer.com/outlet/EF...]+USB+Adapters&src=froogle&CAWELAID=261916185

Any other ideas on the cooling issue for me?

PS: Anyway, I might be missing a cable/adapter/connector...let me know and give me a bit more advise on the cooling issue and I will be good to go (High Powerd Gaming, that is!)

Thank you everybody for your suggestions.
So i am going to go with the 9800gt. I have been wonder though, the heat sink on the Sparkle GeForce 9800 GT looks to be very tall, has anyone had any trouble fitting it into the slimline case?

Thank you everybody for your suggestions.
So i am going to go with the 9800gt. I have been wonder though, the heat sink on the Sparkle GeForce 9800 GT looks to be very tall, has anyone had any trouble fitting it into the slimline case?

It fits fine, Several people in this thread are using it - including myself. The only thing is that you have to reverse your SATA cable so that the 90 end is connected to the motherboard and the 180 degree end is heading to your SATA device (hard-drive or CD-Rom) The Sata cable works the same reveresed or not - so no big deal and you'd likely have figured out that on yoru own. Make sure you pick up the PCI-E adapter if you need for the six pin supplimental power.

NEWEGG
SPARKLE SX98GT512D3L-NM GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card
$109.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187061&Tpk=9800GT LOW PROFILE

Best Choice

CENSUSPC
$49.99
http://www.censuspc.com/Sparkle-Pow...-Pin-RoHS-Power-Supply-Bulk-pack-pr-5902.html

Great Choice

ATX POWER SUPPLIES
20 Pin to small 24 Pin ATX Converter Adapter for HP Slimline Product Number 2024SmallConverter
$14.99

Only Choice

APEVIA
APEVIA 1 x 4 PIN TO 1 x PCI EXPRESS Cable- CVT 46
$2.99
http://www.apevia.com/ProductsInfo.asp?KEY=CVT46

Fine, but why buy from apevia and introduce extra shipping charges, wouldn't it be cheaper to buy this from one of the other places you are already ordering from? Perhaps consider the CVT46 adapter from newegg.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812201004&Tpk=CVT46

Am I missing anything?

GC8ATAL adapter from newegg which is a Molex to Sata Power adapter
Both the PC50 and the Sparkle 270 watt PSU only have two SATA power adapters and being that they are on the same power lead they will not reach both CD-ROM and Hard-Drive in the Slimline 90* seperation orientation. A molex to SATA adapter will allow you to use a spare molex power lead to power one of your SATA devices.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812123137&Tpk=GC8ATAL

The only remaining question is that of cooling....

Not a question IMO, when you get a 9800GT in there --- The slimline RUNS HOT! The graphcis card itself could probably stand the heat, but the rest of the slimline may be negatively effected. Hard-drives for instance often don't like much over 60* C for longevity. Motherboard capacitors don't generally like furnaces either --- so for longevity purposes --- get some decent cooling when you max out the slimline!
You could put a couple 80 mm fans on the side of the case like I tried first without too much effort and it works just fine. You can easily tie them into a spare lead on the Powersupply.

Here was my cooling fan Saga thread
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1407982

Something like this has a pretty cosmetic look to it for outside mounting purposes,
http://www.censuspc.com/SCYTHE-KAMA...ling-Specify-Color-SKU-SCKB-1000-pr-3309.html

Last edited:
Archaea:

Thank you VERY much for your expert and quick response and advise! Thanx as well go out to all the other members of this great Forum who have contributed so much to help noobies like me make an informed choise when it comes to how to go about modding their SLIMLINES!

In an effort to "give back" something to the group, I have put together a detailed recap of exactly what equipment I purchased, along with where I bought the gear and the total costs involved. Maybe, this post will save someone else the effort of going thru all of the reading/research etc that I did to get to this point?

Of course, I will be reporting back here with the results after all 6 items have been recieved and installed. Hopefully, all will go smoothly and I will then have one of the hottest "GAMER" HP SLIMLINES around...

I read on another BB that our little "toy" computers "could not" be made into "REAL" Gaming PCs....Oh yeah? We shall see!

If I run into any problems, I know exactly where to go to get help!!! RIGHT HERE!!!!!
==============================================================

GRAPHICS CARD AND POWER SUPPLY UPGRADE-HP SLIMLINE DESKTOP PC-PARTS REQUIRED LIST:

NEWEGG

$109.99 + $9.07 SALES TAX + $11.89 SHIPPING = TOTAL $130.95

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187061&Tpk=sparkle SX98GT512D3L

NEWEGG

APEVIA 4 Pin PSU to PCI-E Power Supply Converter cable Model CVT46

$2.99 + .25 SALES TAX (SHIPPING INCL) = TOTAL $3.24

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812201004&Tpk=CVT46

NEWEGG

OKGEAR 8" molex 4pin male to 15pin SATA power cable Model GC8ATAL - OEM

$2.29 + .18 SALES TAX (SHIPPING INCL) = TOTAL $2.48

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812123137&Tpk=GC8ATAL

NEWEGG

Thermaltake Mobilefan II 80mm External USB Case Fan

$16.49 + $1.36 SALES TAX (SHIPPING INCL) = TOTAL $17.85

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...pk=Thermaltake Desktop USB Cooling Fan, A1888

CENSUSPC

$49.99 + $4.62 SALES TAX + $11.04 SHIPPING = TOTAL $65.65

http://www.censuspc.com/Sparkle-Powe...k-pr-5902.html

ATX POWER SUPPLIES

$14.99 + (NO TAX-SELLER OUT OF STATE) + $8.91 SHIPPING = $23.90

GRAND TOTAL: $244.07

Last edited:
Back