The highly rated HP Pavilion Slimline PC thread

eatfishy

You shouldn't even have a single spare open connector on your motherboard...The only motherboard fan "header" is for the CPU fan on all the slimline boards I've seen. You'll typically have to make a connection off one of the spare molex adapters by splicing into the black (ground) and yellow (12 volt) or red (5 volt) lines. The 4650 may not require the supplimental power adapter you refer to. I know the 8600GT and 9800GT do for sure. Do you have a picture or link to the exact card you bought and I can verify.
I think you meant 9600GT rather than 8600GT - and there is a low-power version of the 9600GT from Galaxy which also does not require the connector available now.

eatfishy

You shouldn't even have a single spare open connector on your motherboard...The only motherboard fan "header" is for the CPU fan on all the slimline boards I've seen. You'll typically have to make a connection off one of the spare molex adapters by splicing into the black (ground) and yellow (12 volt) or red (5 volt) lines. The 4650 may not require the supplimental power adapter you refer to. I know the 8600GT and 9800GT do for sure. Do you have a picture or link to the exact card you bought and I can verify.

Here is the link to the video card that I bought.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102829

Hm...I hope I plugged everything because I don't see any wiring to plug. The spare connector on my MB is the one white connector (near the yellow connector)

Hm...I hope I plugged everything because I don't see any wiring to plug. The spare connector on my MB is the one white connector (near the yellow connector)

Eatfishy, you have the same model (s3400f) and motherboard as I do (M2N61-AR). That white connector you see (below the yellow, near the PCI-E slot) is a second SDIF out connector - not a fan connector.

See the pictures here for clarification.

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification. So now, where could I possibly plug the 40 mm mini kaze fans connecter to on the MB?

Since upgrading my PC to play games (which it does admirably and especially shown on my new ASUS 23" Monitor!) I am now interested in playing BLU-RAY disks thru my system.

I don't have a BLU RAY player for my Bigscreen TV cuz it is only a 720P (6 years old).

But, I think they would look great on my modded PC and I have a pretty good Logitech Sound system hooked up to it with 2 Tweeters, 2 Midrange and a Seperate Woofer.

I started researching these players and there aren't too many of them available that are external and meant for PCs.

This one is the best I could find and fairly reasonably priced at $97.99 (Incl Shipping)

You can see it on Amazon at:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0027SM0IS/ref=ox_ya_oh_product

Have any you upgraded your HP Slimmy with a Blu Ray DVD Player...which one did you get?

Here is a technical question: My new ASUS Monitor has both DVI and HDMI input ports. As many of you know, the Sparkle GPU card has the same outputs. I currently have my PC connected to my Monitor with a DVI Cable as a quirk of this monitor is that if you connect it via HDMI only then when you put the PC to sleep, the screen will NOT go dark, it just shows a flash screen advising "NO HDMI SIGNAL" and burns that into your pixels (bummer). But you can select the input so if I use my HDMI for watching Blu Ray disks, I can switch the input back to DVI for everything else and avoid the "Hot Screen" problem.

Does this make sense or am I missing something here? Will it really make a noticeable difference in the picture quality to use the HDMI cable to play Blu Ray disks vs the DVI (sound will not be going thru the HDMI as I am using external speakers plugged into the speaker output jack on the back of the PC) or is it not worth it with adding the source switching requirement etc?

PS: I got the Black color unit not the White

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Since upgrading my PC to play games (which it does admirably and especially shown on my new ASUS 23" Monitor!) I am now interested in playing BLU-RAY disks thru my system.
Will it really make a noticeable difference in the picture quality to use the HDMI cable to play Blu Ray disks vs the DVI (sound will not be going thru the HDMI as I am using external speakers plugged into the speaker output jack on the back of the PC) or is it not worth it with adding the source switching requirement etc?

The blu-ray players can also be internal you can buy something like these and just swap out your existing DVDRW/CDRW ROM.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=598&name=Blu-Ray-Drives

Several of us have blu-ray players in our slimlines. I did at one point but sold it because I just use my PS3 to play blu-ray.

To reply to your other question. HDMI and DVI are absolutely identical in picture quality. The only difference is that HDMI carries audio signal as well. So if you plan to use your logitech speakes anyway then you'll be fine staying with DVI. There are passive(unpowered) adapters to convert DVI to HDMI and vice versa at www.monoprice.com if you need to output to your 720p TV.

Thanks for the clarification. So now, where could I possibly plug the 40 mm mini kaze fans connecter to on the MB?

Easiest thing to do is to splice into one of your unused power supply lines as I mentioned to you a coulple posts earlier. Red wire is 5 volt, yellow wire is 12 volt. Black is ground. Pick what voltage you want to run your fan at and splice away. Another option is to cut the lead off your HP pocket bay (if you don't use it you might remove to potentially free up space and airflow) ---then just spice into that usb cable that is attached to the motherboard USB header. Also You are correct in thinking your video card does not require the six pin supplimental power cable. So you'll not need that individual cable for your system.

Archaea:

Yes, I thougt about swapping out my internal DVD Player/Burner for one that is BLU RAY capable like the ones you noted.

Several reasons I didn't do that, but bought a stand alone unit instead:

First, cuz I like the totally portable nature of this particular stand alone unit...No power transformer brick or power cable to deal with as it plugs into any two USB ports on the computer ( one for data and the other for power) . I can use it on any computer, so it is more flexible in that way than an internal one would be.

Second, I got it for a pretty good price at under $100 incl shipping....about the same, if not a bit less, than many internal BLU RAY players would cost me.

Third, when I eventually sell my PC my BLU RAY player doesn't have to go with it.

Thanx for the info on the DVI/HDMI connection question...Now, I know that my current DVI connection will work just as well for video as the HDMI would!

Last edited:
I have the s3020n slimline which probably has a 180w psu and i was wondering if the Galaxy 9600gt low profile low power card would work without a new psu and if not should i go with the in win? oh and should i get the 9600gt or the 9800gt i heard the 9600gt might be a little more slimline friendly because it uses less power and runs cooler so what should i do?

Last edited:
iblowuup, I've already bought a Galaxy LPLP 9600GT which is the best you can get without the need for external 6-pin power, but I have the 160W PSU Slimline version, so, I'm not feeling crazy enough to test it and I'm pretty sure that 180W also feels short on power, mainly because you don't get enough ampere on some important rails. Your options, with this exceptional card are, the now old s3700 series with 230W PSU and 16amp. or the new s5000 series with 220W PSU and lot of space and ventilation as you can see: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...us&lang=en&os=2100&rule=22494&product=4002931

ok let me rephrase If i get this psu:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817374002 and this card http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...cards&lp=7&type=product&cp=1&id=1218072179509 will it work? and is there a better psu or graphic card i should look at?

As long as you have all the necessary connectors and adequate ventilation inside your slimline, then yes, that PSU and that graphics card should do you fine. As far as the PSU, the Sparkle 270 Watt PSU has better specifications than the In-Win, but it is more expensive. Its up to you...either one will work. Its also worth noting that the 9800GT low profile graphics card is slightly cheaper than the LP/LP 9600GT you linked...However, it supposedly gets hotter and requires more power, both of which could make your fan(s) run faster and louder...Its really up to you and what you plan to do with it. Also, I feel obligated to mention that I personally have not modded my slimline, so I can't speak from experience, I'm more or less just rehashing what has been discussed elsewhere in this thread.

Last edited:
Thanks Hasley! I didnt want to read the whole thread lol. i think that answers my question but there is two more things: Will the IN WIN psu hurt the computer in any way? and if i get the cooler 9600gt will i still need fans? (im willing to pay more for the card if the pc runs cooler and quiter)

iblowuup, I've already bought a Galaxy LPLP 9600GT which is the best you can get without the need for external 6-pin power, but I have the 160W PSU Slimline version, so, I'm not feeling crazy enough to test it and I'm pretty sure that 180W also feels short on power, mainly because you don't get enough ampere on some important rails. Your options, with this exceptional card are, the now old s3700 series with 230W PSU and 16amp. or the new s5000 series with 220W PSU and lot of space and ventilation as you can see: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...us&lang=en&os=2100&rule=22494&product=4002931
Hey there, how would you say the noise is on the 9600gt lplp card? I had a Galaxy 8600gt before and it was awful, the noise was constant and loud even at the desktop in my slimline.

The 9500gt that replaced it was much better and does ramp up during games, but I don't mind that so much, it's more at the Vista desktop and just browsing/movie watching. Is the 9600GT LPLP that audible doing those tasks?

Edit: Ah crap, misread it - I take it you haven't even installed it yet?

Regional Coffee, I will be testing my 9600GT LPLP by the end of september in a s5150t 220W PSU. Just three months to go...

I just installed two 40mm mini kaze fans on the back of the inside case pulling the hot air out. It is extremly quiet and I did noticed some difference in temperature change.

Playing Lord of the Ring Online at high settings for a few hours before installing fans.

Temp range from 61 - 72 (Go over 70 degree sometimes)

Playing Lord of the Ring Online at high settings for a few hours after installing fans.

Temp range from 61 - 72 (Does not go over 70 degree as often)

I want to say THANK YOU everyone for answering all my questions especially Archaea.

So I picked up this lil diddy yesterday. HP Pavilion Slimline s5120y Desktop PC
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...09&lc=en&dlc=fe&cc=us&product=3970034&lang=fe

And so ofcourse looking to upgrade the video card from the GeForce 6150SE.

And while it does have a 220w psu, wondering if I would need to upgrade the psu as well. I'm wondering if 220w would be enough for a 9500GT or higher. Noticing the CPU is Athlon X2 (K) 7750 2.7 GHz (95W) uses more watts than the older Slimlines (seen power suggestions of swapping out 65W to a 45W)

Thanks

silent.bob -- you could likely get away with a 9500GS on your currently setup, but gaming performance won't be as solid as you'd like if you run larger/higher resolutions. I would upgrade your PSU or drop your CPU to a 45 watt if you want a 9600GT on that stock 220 watt PSU. I think that 7750 is a faster architecture than the standard 2.7ghz AMD X2 of old - so you'll be giving up some CPU prowness if going to a 45 watt chip --- BUT graphics cards are far more important than CPU for gaming.......It really depends on what you want to do with the PC.

He did say 9500GT though, not 9600. I think even with a 89wt 7750 CPU he should be fine with a 9500GT, I'd be surprised the system pulls 160 at load, plus HP looks to have learned their lesson from the previous slimline and really erred on the side of caution with the new models with respect to cooling. With a 9600GT though yeah, I think with that CPU it would be pushing it. The 7550/7750 are quite a bit faster than the X2's though, going to a BE model would be a downgrade.

Yes, GPU's are more important - but that's when usually talking about 3ghz Core2Duo's as a baseline - a standard X2 Athlon will be a bottleneck once you start moving into even just 9600GT territory (depending upon the resolution of course).

Silent.bob, could you report on the PSU? Seems quite a bit larger in these new slimlines, pics perhaps? How is the size overall compared to the previous slimlines? These seem quite a bit bigger.

He did say 9500GT though, not 9600. I think even with a 89wt 7750 CPU he should be fine with a 9500GT, I'd be surprised the system pulls 160 at load, plus HP looks to have learned their lesson from the previous slimline and really erred on the side of caution with the new models with respect to cooling. With a 9600GT though yeah, I think with that CPU it would be pushing it. The 7550/7750 are quite a bit faster than the X2's though, going to a BE model would be a downgrade.

Yes, GPU's are more important - but that's when usually talking about 3ghz Core2Duo's as a baseline - a standard X2 Athlon will be a bottleneck once you start moving into even just 9600GT territory (depending upon the resolution of course).

Silent.bob, could you report on the PSU? Seems quite a bit larger in these new slimlines, pics perhaps? How is the size overall compared to the previous slimlines? These seem quite a bit bigger.

I don't have any good power numbers nor exp. with the 9500GT - nor the new slimlines for that matter. I was cautious in my recommendation and so advised towards the 9500GS which I know to be a low power card. Most people on this forum use 22" or 24" monitors and at native resolutions of 1680x1050 or 1920x1200 the video card is far more important than the CPU for gaming. If not a big gamer I'd probably favor the CPU. I also don't know anything about the new slimline's series motherboard power draw. It may be for more reasons than just the CPU that the PSU has been hiked to 220 watts.

The Sapphire Radeon HD 4650 low profile uses less power (48 watts Max Draw) than the 9500GT and it perform the same as 9500GT or better.

The 4650 looks like a nice card (why or why are these LP cards always saddled with DDR2 when DDR3 draws less power? Price I know, but jeez - can't add more than $20 to the final price, doubles the bandwidth). I especially like that it has HDMI+DVI, which the 9500GT doesn't have. VGA only supports a few resolutions on my HDTV, so that's a bonus - no need to route a wire internally as well to get sound over HDMI.

Nice n cheap too. Hell, I may just pick one up and compared it to my 9500GT, if so I'll report back here.

AC Input -
100-127V - 50/60Hz, 6A
200-240V - 50/60Hz, 3A

DC Output -
+3.3V - 16A
Total 110W Max
+5.08V - 15A
Total 210W Max
+12.0V - 16A

-12.0V - 0.3A

+5.08Vsb - 2.0A

Total 220W Max

Hope that makes sense

Silent.bob, thanks a lot! Look, I have the Galaxy 9600GT LPLP in my hands, and the stickers say it needs a 350W PSU in the front, 400W PSU in the back with a system with an Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700 and finally, nVidia says it only needs a 300W PSU, so, make your guess... I already read somewhere it only needs 24A in the +12V rail, but I think that is oversized as Archaea someday said! I'll give it a try if I where you but only after lowering your CPU power needs!

It's really tough for us to say. The recommended wattage numbers provided by video card OEM's and Nvidia are usually much higher than necessary in a decent OEM system because they have to account for $20 off the shelf PSU's and DIY systems with outmoded and overloaded equipment.

The problem though is that 95 watt CPU. Now, even with that CPU and a 9600GT I believe you would likely pull 180wt -190wt maximum load - probably. Can't say for sure. But how long will that be stable for? If you had a 65wt CPU and that system, it would be basically a no brainer, and I recommend it be done without hesitation. But the 95wt CPU...

Hi guys,

I've had my slimline for a good year and a half, I think. Would like to start fresh with a clean OS install. Of course, I made the recovery disks when I first got the PC, and now have no idea where they are.

What are my options for this, short of paying HP for the recovery discs? Can I use another copy of Vista Home Premium that I have (for another PC) and just use the product key on the HP slimline when prompted? Will I be battling driver issues, or do you think it will be pretty painless just to go to the HP support site after the OS install and install the necessary drivers. I don't particularly need any of their pre-installed software, I don't think.

Any other suggestions/comments?

Thanks!
Aaron

Silent Bob that card is pretty nice though not a major gaming card it does what I need it to.
If you watch Blue Ray or DVD's via your PC you will like this card as that is it's main purpose.
I do not see any problems with you using this card on your system as it does not draw that much power, I would be more concerned if you had the older 160W PSU's in the s3000 series Slimlines.
The box does state it requires a 400 Watt PSU but I am running it fine on a 250W, I know it's not stressing my system since the fan never kicks up and the air out of the back is barely warm.

hey all.

unfortunate circumstances have come about and I need to sell my HP Frankenline. Not sure what a fair price might be so I need some suggestions.

HP 3600T (excellent condition)
Core 2 Duo E4700 2.60GHz
4gb memory
500gb hard drive
LG Retail blu ray drive
Inwin 300 watt PSU
Sparkle 9800GT video card

both card and PSU are a month old

Suggested selling price?

I have a 3220n, replaced the stock CPU with 45 watt and upgraded the video with a 8500GT for my son, no other PCI cards or USB devices. Been running fine for the last 8 months until the card crapped out. I can't even get it to post.

Since I need to replace it, I thought about what else might be out there for cards, since getting a replacement may be difficult. He doesn't need cutting edge, mostly plays Oblivion, HL2, Garrys Mod, Battlefield, etc. No Crysis here. He has a 19" monitor.

Anything similar in power to the 8500GT would be great, but needs to have similar power draw to the 8500GT because I do not want to replace the power supply. Preferably something quiet.

Any thoughts? What about the Radeon HD 4650 or the 9500GT? Too much power draw?

I have a 3220n, replaced the stock CPU with 45 watt and upgraded the video with a 8500GT for my son, no other PCI cards or USB devices. Been running fine for the last 8 months until the card crapped out. I can't even get it to post.

Since I need to replace it, I thought about what else might be out there for cards, since getting a replacement may be difficult. He doesn't need cutting edge, mostly plays Oblivion, HL2, Garrys Mod, Battlefield, etc. No Crysis here. He has a 19" monitor.

Anything similar in power to the 8500GT would be great, but needs to have similar power draw to the 8500GT because I do not want to replace the power supply. Preferably something quiet.

Any thoughts? What about the Radeon HD 4650 or the 9500GT? Too much power draw?

9500gs would be 100% safe at the 40ish watt range. With the 45 watt CPU you have you could probably get by with a bit more, but it'd be iffy. The 9500gs performance is basically like the 8600GT which is to say decent at gaming. The 4650 uses 50 to 60 watts from most review sites. I think that may be a bit much for a 160 watt PSU --- If you didn't have the 45 watt CPU I'd DEFINATELY say no....since you do - it's up to you if the card is worth the risk.

One site I was just reading said the 9500GT can use over 100 watts alone at full tilt. They stated it used nearly as much power as a overclocked 8800GT. That's absurd, I've not seen a green 9500GT, but unless they make one --- the 9500GT is unthinkable with a stock PSU.

Last edited:
hey all.

unfortunate circumstances have come about and I need to sell my HP Frankenline. Not sure what a fair price might be so I need some suggestions.

HP 3600T (excellent condition)
Core 2 Duo E4700 2.60GHz
4gb memory
500gb hard drive
LG Retail blu ray drive
Inwin 300 watt PSU
Sparkle 9800GT video card

both card and PSU are a month old

Suggested selling price?

I'd try a buy it now at ebay for $600ish. With the ability for the purchaser to make you a lower offer. The slimline you figure is worth about 300 + $75 for blue-ray + $150 ffor 9800GT and 300 Watt PSU.......+ a bit extra cause you had the courage to put it all together and the guy buying it probably doens't or they'd do it themselves.

That's a nice PC setup if anyone else here on the forum would like to think about buying it. It will work with a quad core q9300 with the newest BIOS update if you wanted to upgrade.

Archaea-

That's exactly what I needed. The 9500GS should do the trick, maybe even a bit faster than the previous 8500GT.

Don't want to push it, for sure.

Thanks a million, off to find the 9500GS.

Travis

Archaea-

That's exactly what I needed. The 9500GS should do the trick, maybe even a bit faster than the previous 8500GT.

Don't want to push it, for sure.

Thanks a million, off to find the 9500GS.

Travis

If you have trouble finding the 9500 GS you can consider the low power ATI 4550. It's probably in the same league and likely easier to find at stores like newegg. It only uses 30ish watts and is a great HTPC card from what others have said and a medium performance gaming card like the 9500 GS is.

OK, I have done some surfing for a replacement and have some results I'd like for you guys to comment. This will replace my sons 8500GT, and I would like similar performance (he only plays HL2, Oblivion, Garrys Mod, Halo 2 vista, Battlefield etc.

Most likely candidates (max power draw)
1. 9600 GT $109 (60w) probably too high power draw, too expensive
2. 9500 GT $54 (35w) power draw is at 256mb, not sure on the 512mb
3. 9400 GT $44 (??) assume power is below 9500?
4. 8400 GS $34 (??) assume power ~ 9400GT?
5. HD 4650 $50 (60w) probably too much power draw
6. HD 4550 $45 (40w) probably about right

Keep in mind that I'm not looking for extreme gaming, but would like something that's OK at lower resolutions. To me it's between the 9400GT (I have to find out the power) and the HD 4550. Anybody comments or have experience with any of these cards?

Many Thanks!
Travis

OK, I have done some surfing for a replacement and have some results I'd like for you guys to comment. This will replace my sons 8500GT, and I would like similar performance (he only plays HL2, Oblivion, Garrys Mod, Halo 2 vista, Battlefield etc.

Most likely candidates (max power draw)
1. 9600 GT $109 (60w) probably too high power draw, too expensive
2. 9500 GT $54 (35w) power draw is at 256mb, not sure on the 512mb
3. 9400 GT $44 (??) assume power is below 9500?
4. 8400 GS $34 (??) assume power ~ 9400GT?
5. HD 4650 $50 (60w) probably too much power draw
6. HD 4550 $45 (40w) probably about right

Keep in mind that I'm not looking for extreme gaming, but would like something that's OK at lower resolutions. To me it's between the 9400GT (I have to find out the power) and the HD 4550. Anybody comments or have experience with any of these cards?

Many Thanks!
Travis

I have an ATI 4550 on my HTPC box (Dell's version of an HP Slimline) and it works just great. I use it for HTPC purposes and do not game on it. My entire system (sans monitor, since I use the HDTV) draws about 75 W. (Intel Pentium Dual-Core E2220 (2.4GHZ,1MB L2 Cache, 800FSB).)

Back