The highly rated HP Pavilion Slimline PC thread

Why did you order two cards? The 8500GT will work perfectly fine with no hassle although unless you were looking for the HDMI port you should have gone with the 8600GT for better performance. Also the 9600GT isn't necessary easy to install unless you have a PCI-e power adapter coming out of your PSU which I have never known a Slimline to have.

Also if your screen resolution isn't right, see if your monitor has some settings to correct the issue. It may not necessary be the video card's fault. If your monitor came with a CD that has some display drivers on it then you do need to install those too.

After downloading the hotfix by Futuremark, finaly able to run 3Dmark06. With the 7500 LE scored about 900 points, with the 4760 around 7120. Peak W about 146 (Total power consumption). No issues, peak GPU temp 62C, but havent closed the side of the case yet.....

If using similar settings(low), the 4670 uses actually less than the 7500 LE during load.

I have to ask, I have been building boxes for close to 25 years, but I am going to ask a fairly basic question here.

Mind you this box is fresh from HP saying they ran all sorts of tests and that on my trouble ticket they "replaced the motherboard".

I followed the procedure to install my 9400gs exactly as described in the instructions. It booted just fine to it only once, where I ran benchmarks and played a few movies, but now windows will not recognize it and I am back to using only the onboard driver. I have tried everything from removing it from the computer and starting from square one.

MY question is: WTF!?!?!?!

when i installed my 9600gt i used a molex splitter then connected to existing 4 pin to 6 pin that came with the graphics card....so it can be done but not recommended as in previous posts :) it works fine for me but might not for you!!!!!!!!

regards

QUESTION FOR C NUMB???

why did you buy the 4850e when you couldve bought the 5050e which is faster? :p

btw is there a product name for this ac tester you have for voltage/wattage totals?

are you using a low profile card or full height?

regards

360 -

Trust me, Im not a newb. I tried everything with the xfx card. Regarding the 2 cards, plan is to try the 8500 and if it performs fine, I'll prob stick with it. Then again, I already have a power supply ready to go(detailed in my previous posts), so if I decide to go the 9600gt route, Im more than prepared.

When i purhased the 4850e, the price difference to A 5050E ower here was huge, like 35-40% thus 100 hz is not worth that. No daubt that the 5050 would work case needed. The manufacturer for the AC meter, i beleive, is EVERFLOURISH(made in China supprise..he he..). The card is a full hight card, agree its a disgrace for a slimline......but i wanted a ATI, DDR3, 128 bit so had no choice.

On the other hand, full hight card are cheaper so havent lost much so far. Will cover the card with ataching a 25mm u profile made of aluminium to the case side. So in case i sucseed, not that big compromise after all.

Re issues with 9400 and 9500 cards, might be owerheating of the northbridge, or then incompatible vga/ motherboard drivers. The first generation slimlines has a fan pararell to the motherboard, sucking air through both the cpu and north bridge coolers, directly outside, kind of a tunnel setup. Newer models has a different design might causing problems regarding northbridge cooling. As things works fine with the onboard vga, and does not work with xfx hardvare, best guess is a vga card issue. Try to runn with the case open + aditional cooling on the northbridge, what ever fan. Then you will know.....

360 -

Trust me, Im not a newb. I tried everything with the xfx card. Regarding the 2 cards, plan is to try the 8500 and if it performs fine, I'll prob stick with it. Then again, I already have a power supply ready to go(detailed in my previous posts), so if I decide to go the 9600gt route, Im more than prepared.

Hey if you already got the upgraded PSU, go with the 9600GT. The more the better as long as your PC can handle it. Honestly the 9600GT is a VERY well built card and should work great for you. The thing is a mini powerhouse as well. If you have problems with that then your display issue is definitely originating elsewhere.

No it won't. The reason is because that is a full-height card. You need a low profile card. (Low profile not meaning it preforms any less, but rather it's half the height of a regular card so it fits in HTPCs. Like the Slimline.) The best card your going to get without having to go into any extra modding is the 9500GT. The only problem is that people seem to be having some issues with that card as of lately so I'm not going to recommend it but rather let you make the call on it.

Personally I have the 9600GT installed but I needed a second PSU to power it so it's really not a practical idea. I would like to steer you to the low profile 8600GT (Due to all the recent problems with the 9500GT; the 8600GT would be the next best thing.) but it seems Newegg no longer has one listed?:confused: But yeah that's going to be your best option as of right now.

(Wow, someone actually has the same model as I do.:p)

So according to the HP forums, a faulty power supply may be my culprit in my video card woes. Now I just need to find a new one to fit my s3100n. I really don't want to case mod the thing if it can be avoided so I suppose I'll go shopping for a psu now.

What about this power supply:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817374002

With this 20pin to 24pin mini connector:http://www.atxpowersupplies.com/20-pin-to-24-pin-hp-slimline-atx-converter.htm

In one of the reviews for the power supply they said to just break off the extra 4 pins of the PS connector to fit a 20pin mobo. I would assume that would work with the adapter as well. Not sure about the fan on the PS. Would that face down and would it interfere with the case? I have an s3401f with 160watt PS.

I'm so done reading everything I can about what the best video card is for this system.

No it won't. The reason is because that is a full-height card. You need a low profile card. (Low profile not meaning it preforms any less, but rather it's half the height of a regular card so it fits in HTPCs. Like the Slimline.) The best card your going to get without having to go into any extra modding is the 9500GT. The only problem is that people seem to be having some issues with that card as of lately so I'm not going to recommend it but rather let you make the call on it.

Personally I have the 9600GT installed but I needed a second PSU to power it so it's really not a practical idea. I would like to steer you to the low profile 8600GT (Due to all the recent problems with the 9500GT; the 8600GT would be the next best thing.) but it seems Newegg no longer has one listed?:confused: But yeah that's going to be your best option as of right now.

(Wow, someone actually has the same model as I do.:p)

So a 9500GT will work with the factory PSU?

I would really like to get the 8600GT because it is cheaper and I'm on a budget, but I can't find a low profile version anywhere.

If you wanted to you could wait around for a week or two and see if the 8600GT comes back on Newegg. If it doesn't the 9500GT will work fine with your PSU.

Here's a post omjermey made a while back that has the statics on the power draw for the card. It'll work fine:
Here's the site that shows graphics power consumption:
The Truth About Graphics Power Requirements V2
9600 GT______________ 27W-34W-61W (512MB)
8600 GT _____________ 26W-52W

The eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Lite v2.5 which has been known to be low in calculating PSU usage, clocks in your system as needing a 192W PSU.

Ok, I know the best we can get right now is a 9500GT, but where are those low profile Radeons 4650/4670? Are those big guys planning to make it sometime?

Does that 9500 GT ports really fit into back slot of the hp slimline? It seems like it would be to large. It seems like the Radeon HD 3650 would have a much better fit. I would love to get that 9500 GT, but it does seems like it has to many ports to fit in the back of my s3620f slimline.

Mischief, recently I've just seen your s3620f on CompUSA. How good is that model? And how about de E5200 inside? Does it come with the 180W PSU?

Mischief -
The 9500GT(or at least the xfx version) comes with a low profile bracket. As with most LP cards, you need to remove the vga port from the card and use a bracket that has just s-video and dvi ports.

Also keep in mind that most cards including the 9500gt come in both a low profile and a full version.

Robario12, what kind of problems did you get with your 9500GT? Was it with VGA or DVI connection? Is this card fast enough? Did you get lockups?

Oh ok, thanks for that Robario. Guess ill have to order some extra parts with it then. And I'm enjoying my s3260f very much drpenicilin. The E5200 is nice for me and the 4GB of ram makes everything start up super fast. The only bad thing is the graphics card which I will hopefully replace with the XFX 9500GT. I am not really sure about the PSU though. I tried doing some research to find it but came up with nothing. Sorry :(.

Mischief -
Many power supply suggestions are listed in the last few pages.

DrP -
No lockups. It actually performed well, but always had driver issues. Mainly image shifts and resolutions not working. Couldnt figure it out, so threw in the towel.

Got it, Robario12, but those image shifts and resolution problems while using VGA or DVI port? Or both?

Well, after researching on newegg, I've decided i really want to get the Radeon HD 3650. But one of my major concerns is if my power supply on my s3260f can handle this card? If anyone would know, I would very much appreciate it. Thanks!

Mischief, here http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2278729,00.asp you can look at something quite similar from Sapphire. The Intel Core2 Extreme X9650 and Intel X38 mortherboard pulls a lot more power than your Slimline configuration, so the higher consumption rates at load. That card is really a good one, just a bit behind the 9500GT. Another good option is to try the older low profile Visiontek 2600XT found in Amazon.com

Looking for a little help here... I just received a Dell Studio Slim earlier this week. It has Vista64, Q6600, 6 GB RAM, 640 GB HDD, Hauppage TV card, Radeon HD 3450 video card.

I have it hooked up to my BenQ FP241VW for now via HDMI. The BenQ is capable of 1920 x 1200 of course and offers 1:1 pixel mapping.

The problem: when I open display settings or the ATI Catalyst control panel, the max resolution that I'm able to select is 1920 x 1080. :mad:

Is anyone able to suggest how to set it up for 1920 x 1200 output?

I'm wondering if Dell did this since many people may buy this PC with a matching Dell Studio series display (which are crap) that is only capable of the 16:9 format (1920 x 1080) instead of the traditional widescreen PC display 16:10 (1920 x 1200). When I spoke with the Indian based tech support...they could not find a solution and in the end just suggested that the problem was with my display--isn't that convenient. Well, it may be convenient but it AINT true.

Robario12, did your XFX 9500GT low profile come with the low profile brackets kit? Or you had to purchase it too? Where did you get both?

Which card is better performance wise:
ASUS EAH4550/DI/512MD3 Radeon HD 4550 512MB 64-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Low Profile Video Card - Retail

or
ASUS EAH4550/DI/512MD3 Radeon HD 4550 512MB 64-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Low Profile Video Card - Retail

Looking for a little help here... I just received a Dell Studio Slim earlier this week. It has Vista64, Q6600, 6 GB RAM, 640 GB HDD, Hauppage TV card, Radeon HD 3450 video card.

I have it hooked up to my BenQ FP241VW for now via HDMI. The BenQ is capable of 1920 x 1200 of course and offers 1:1 pixel mapping.

The problem: when I open display settings or the ATI Catalyst control panel, the max resolution that I'm able to select is 1920 x 1080. :mad:

Is anyone able to suggest how to set it up for 1920 x 1200 output?

I'm wondering if Dell did this since many people may buy this PC with a matching Dell Studio series display (which are crap) that is only capable of the 16:9 format (1920 x 1080) instead of the traditional widescreen PC display 16:10 (1920 x 1200). When I spoke with the Indian based tech support...they could not find a solution and in the end just suggested that the problem was with my display--isn't that convenient. Well, it may be convenient but it AINT true.

This is why I am not a fan of ATI. All I can suggest to you is to try and reinstall the drivers for your card. Also could you look inside your computer and see what kind of 3650 is in there?

And akapaulk, I'm pretty sure those two cards are going to preform EXACTLY the same since letter-for-letter I see no difference in the two cards you have there.:p

And akapaulk, I'm pretty sure those two cards are going to preform EXACTLY the same since letter-for-letter I see no difference in the two cards you have there.:p

After doing some research - I guess you are right! :)

I meant to paste this:
SAPPHIRE 100236HDMI Radeon HD 3650 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Low Profile Video Card - Retail

vs.

:)

Hey there...

Just found this thread afters months of searching all over the internet...

I have a s3100n with nothing upgraded except the RAM (now 2gb)...

I am looking to upgrade the video card to something that can play Rainbow 6 Vegas at low-medium quality and BF2 at medium to high quality...

I have searched and found some options:
8400GS
8500 GT (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814162004)
8600 GT (Where can I get one... can't find them anywhere!)

What would be the BEST card I could get for under $110 that could play some older games without having to mess with my PSU or processor.

Thanks!

EDIT:
Also,
I do not care about a loud fan or anything, unless it is seriously loud...

This is why I am not a fan of ATI. All I can suggest to you is to try and reinstall the drivers for your card. Also could you look inside your computer and see what kind of 3650 is in there?

PROBLEM SOLVED!!! I disconnected the HDMI and connected the PC to my BENQ FP241VW with DVI and now ATI's catalyst control center allows me to bump up the resolution to 1920 x 1200.

THANKS!

I see quite a few posters trying to find an 8600GT - uh, why?

The 9500 GT is faster, uses less power, has more memory, and generally cheaper than the 8600GT. The only drawback is that the LP versions seem to be relegated to DDR2 instead of GDDR3 which sucks for potential performance, but even with that it should still be slightly faster than an 8600GT.

Really guys, the 9500GT is about it in terms of performance within an acceptable wattage of the slimline. The ATI 4550 and 3650 don't perform as well from the benchmarks I've seen.

Ok, Regional Coffee, but I want to know if the XFX version of the 9500GT comes with low profile brackets...

Just ordered the Galaxy 96GFF6VIFCXX GeForce 9600 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 SLI Supported Low Profile Video Card and FSP Group BoosterX 3 FSP300-1E01 Max. 400W Independent/Supplementary SLI Dual GeForce 7900 GTX or Dual GeForce 7800GTX 512 MB CrossFire Ready Modular Active PFC supplementary Power Supply. Plan on installing them in my Slimline as soon as they arrive.

hi

The Truth About Graphics Power Requirements V2
9600 GT______________ 27W-34W-61W (512MB)
8600 GT _____________ 26W-52W

personally i think the difference between the 8600gt & 9600gt for wattage is an acceptable upgrade but not recommended due to PSU requirements. however, this did not stop me from upgrading my 8600gt with a 65w 5200+ cpu to my current 9600gt with 45w 5050e cpu so it compensates either way although this could be borderline!

with my old configoration i was playing crysis, c&c3 & other games with no problems at all

its up to you to take the chance.....i did and it works fine!

regards me

Mosis, just be aware that you will need to do a sata to molex conversion for that setup or the supplemental PSU won't turn on. (I think my post a few pages back covers that though.) Also take some pics when you get it finished!:)

@360

Absolutely! I already ordered two "SATA 2 Molex" converters a few weeks ago in anticipation of this project. I will receive the PSU and 9600GT on Monday the 17th. I intend to take photos. Hopefully everything will go smoothly. BTW Newegg has a deal going on the 9600GT low profile cards... $10 instant savings, $40 rebate (mail in) and a $50 ENCORE ATSC Digital TV USB Stick w/ Remote ENUTV-DAT USB 2.0 Interface thrown in for free as part of a limited offer. Can't really beat that deal so I had to jump on it.

Back