The [H]ardForum Perpetual Freebies Thread

I was waiting until I moved down later this year, but hey, if anyone badly needs this right now, it is up for grabs, just pay shipping. It is usually a tad bit more expensive considering where I am, but hey.

- One of the tiniest Mini ITX cases I have ever seen. Very nice for a HTPC. Comes with the CD/DVD drive and the PSU, which is generic and lame, but should suffice for a basic build. It ran my i3-4170 with 16GB RAM on a MSI H81I for more than a year without any issue. It takes a 3.5 HDD as well. Also nice for a very tiny office build. Just put a tiny LED monitor on top of it and go to town. At one time I had a 15-inch. Picture shows my ASUS 21.5 inch, which looked a lot weirder than the 15 inch sitting on top of the case, but worked just fine, as it is sturdy enough for that.

Also, if you want the H81I board that was on it, you can have it as well. Something that I do not know the name in english popped out, and it did not POST anymore. It may be repairable, I don't know.

- A flatbed scanner.

https://imgur.com/a/jC0Vc
I could use that case for sure. Been needing to fix a dead one I have sitting here for a few years. You have PM.

lol

I actually did some research on a 'cheap laptop' but they really don't exist. You're going to spend $100 for anything decent unless you find something in the forums for cheaper.

I see older winxp laptops on craigslist for $50ish pretty often. Really depends what the use is. A used chromebook would be cheap.

I see older winxp laptops on craigslist for $50ish pretty often. Really depends what the use is. A used chromebook would be cheap.
Yeah, I see the same thing, but it varies from market to market. I know when I was looking for these in Alabama, it was impossible. But in Chicago, they're pretty readily available.

LOL

Either the begging.. or another thing I see , is it seems the same particular people scrounge this thread like a f'ing hawk... I think sometimes "How could one person possibly have a use for so many fucking freebies..".... I'm quite sure they are flipping the stuff.. or run some sort of business on the side, profiting off of peoples kindness... Yeah.. I understand it's a freebie thread.. I thought this post really originated from the intent of the lines of "pay it forward".. not into what it is becoming..

I thought the same thing which is why I no longer post anything in here. The same one or two people snapping up everything right away makes this thread pointless.

I basically need to run the Ford Training Info software to get info for fixing my 2003 Focus. It does install on Windows 10, but for some reason, some info won't show up. The thing asks for Adobe Reader 5 and a bunch of obsolete stuff, so it is just happier to run on XP. Right now I run it using a VM on my desktop, but it doesn't help when I am greasy and sweaty outside. Being a terrible wrench turner, I always print stuff and have to come back for more, so I would rather just bring a computer closer and play with it. Yet, that means it will be greasy and outside, so of course, something fancy does not look like a good idea.

I basically need to run the Ford Training Info software to get info for fixing my 2003 Focus. It does install on Windows 10, but for some reason, some info won't show up. The thing asks for Adobe Reader 5 and a bunch of obsolete stuff, so it is just happier to run on XP. Right now I run it using a VM on my desktop, but it doesn't help when I am greasy and sweaty outside. Being a terrible wrench turner, I always print stuff and have to come back for more, so I would rather just bring a computer closer and play with it. Yet, that means it will be greasy and outside, so of course, something fancy does not look like a good idea.

look for a dell. d620 or d630 on ebay. Probably the ultimate windows xp laptop.

cdr_74_premium I will have to check, but I had an older Dell and an older HP that might work for you. They're so old that I doubt anyone would be willing to buy them. You're welcome to either for the price of shipping, assuming I can find them (and the power supplies) and they are still working.

I run across the same issue except I'm copying the documents to my phone and trying to stare at the small screen. I don't have as much time to work on my cars as I'd like or I'd have to come up with a solution.

Speaking of solution, one way to might be able to look at what's on your desktop while outside is to use rdp on a tablet or something like that. Those can be cheaper than laptops, although the compatibility can be all over the place.

cdr_74_premium I will have to check, but I had an older Dell and an older HP that might work for you. They're so old that I doubt anyone would be willing to buy them. You're welcome to either for the price of shipping, assuming I can find them (and the power supplies) and they are still working.

That would be amazing. Thank you.

I run across the same issue except I'm copying the documents to my phone and trying to stare at the small screen. I don't have as much time to work on my cars as I'd like or I'd have to come up with a solution.

Speaking of solution, one way to might be able to look at what's on your desktop while outside is to use rdp on a tablet or something like that. Those can be cheaper than laptops, although the compatibility can be all over the place.

My WiFi won't get there, unfortunately. To top it off, I want something nobody would even want to steal. I know my car fits that description, but hey, lots of drunkards around, and sometimes people get silly. Even a lame tablet would look flashier than a dead-end notebook, not to mention the screen size

Last edited:
look for a dell. d620 or d630 on ebay. Probably the ultimate windows xp laptop.
Strange that I didn't find these when I looked the first time, but specifically looking for them results in a few good ones at the $50 mark. (y)

If you do find them sans power supply, let me know as our local goodwill usually has anything HP or Dell for $1-2 and I'd be happy to get one and send it to you for sending to cdr_74_premium. (y)

Either the begging.. or another thing I see , is it seems the same particular people scrounge this thread like a f'ing hawk... I think sometimes "How could one person possibly have a use for so many fucking freebies.."

I've definitely noticed this happening lately, the last few lots of stuff I put up had the same few people wanting to snap up the whole lot.

Heck, even stuff that I offered to one person asking for something had other people trying to snipe everything out from under the guy I was offering it to, it's getting ridiculous.

I don't know if we should go as far as making a public shaming list of people abusing the freebies thread, but definitely need to keep an eye out for people constantly trying to snap items up and put them at the back of the line.

I've definitely noticed this happening lately, the last few lots of stuff I put up had the same few people wanting to snap up the whole lot.

Heck, even stuff that I offered to one person asking for something had other people trying to snipe everything out from under the guy I was offering it to, it's getting ridiculous.

I don't know if we should go as far as making a public shaming list of people abusing the freebies thread, but definitely need to keep an eye out for people constantly trying to snap items up and put them at the back of the line.

I just stopped posting things. Between the begging and the same 2 people it's no longer a "helping" thread so much as a "help someone make profit" thread.

That would be amazing. Thank you.

My WiFi won't get there, unfortunately. To top it off, I want something nobody would even want to steal. I know my car fits that description, but hey, lots of drunkards around, and sometimes people get silly. Even a lame tablet would look flashier than a dead-end notebook, not to mention the screen size
Bummer on the wifi. And I definitely understand what you mean about theft. So what you need is a Panasonic toughbook looking laptop so someone will think it is super old/big and not worth anything. :D Unfortunately as you probably already know, those things will command a price.

Those older Dell D-series seem to be the best bet, although the E-series is also coming down in price and seems like it could run xp as well. (y)

I just stopped posting things. Between the begging and the same 2 people it's no longer a "helping" thread so much as a "help someone make profit" thread.
I wasn't going to address this line of thinking, but I think it is important to clarify something since this is basically taking shots at the people that have been helped.

My mother is dying from ALS. Her treatment which may only prolong her life by months is $200 a day--for the copayment. The treatment itself is $1000/day. We're scraping by just to be able to do this.

My father is starting down the road of dementia. He's been on the decline for the last 15 years, but he doesn't realize it even today. He made some bad financial decisions in the last 10 years that have put him upside down in a major way.

I have been helping my parents dig out of this hole as well as with their health for the last 5+ years. But working requires tools, and one of those tools is a computer. But there's no money for anything IT. So I'm taking their old computers that they had ruined/gunked up and breathing them back to life so I can use them to get stuff done. This means systems that can at best run Windows 7, but mostly it's windows xp with steadystate. But to do this requires RAM upgrades, power supplies, video cards, and processor upgrades as these systems sometimes only have 512MB of RAM and no discrete video.

All of the freebies that I have taken have been put to good use in these systems--my mom now has a decent xp system to reference the pdf scans of all her medical history, systems have backup and replacement drives, better power supplies for video upgrades to make youtube videos watchable again, among many other things. None of this would have been possible without the freebies found here and elsewhere.

So a big thank you is in order. (y) For those who have been nice enough to let the stuff they didn't want move on to a new home, not knowing where that home would be or what it would do, what dramatic effects it would have in others' lives. If anyone who is interested in where their freebie is installed today and what it's doing, feel free to reach out and I'll tell you. (y)

And I think this one thing needs to be clarified--the one place NOTHING has gone is 'for sale' or profiteering in any way. If I could sell it, so could the OP, and it's unethical to step on someone's toes like that.

Generally the stuff I post would end up at the recycler or in the dumpster. So I would rather have literally anyone take it than have it end up in the trash.

I wasn't going to address this line of thinking, but I think it is important to clarify something since this is basically taking shots at the people that have been helped.

My mother is dying from ALS. Her treatment which may only prolong her life by months is $200 a day--for the copayment. The treatment itself is $1000/day. We're scraping by just to be able to do this.

My father is starting down the road of dementia. He's been on the decline for the last 15 years, but he doesn't realize it even today. He made some bad financial decisions in the last 10 years that have put him upside down in a major way.

I have been helping my parents dig out of this hole as well as with their health for the last 5+ years. But working requires tools, and one of those tools is a computer. But there's no money for anything IT. So I'm taking their old computers that they had ruined/gunked up and breathing them back to life so I can use them to get stuff done. This means systems that can at best run Windows 7, but mostly it's windows xp with steadystate. But to do this requires RAM upgrades, power supplies, video cards, and processor upgrades as these systems sometimes only have 512MB of RAM and no discrete video.

All of the freebies that I have taken have been put to good use in these systems--my mom now has a decent xp system to reference the pdf scans of all her medical history, systems have backup and replacement drives, better power supplies for video upgrades to make youtube videos watchable again, among many other things. None of this would have been possible without the freebies found here and elsewhere.

So a big thank you is in order. (y) For those who have been nice enough to let the stuff they didn't want move on to a new home, not knowing where that home would be or what it would do, what dramatic effects it would have in others' lives. If anyone who is interested in where their freebie is installed today and what it's doing, feel free to reach out and I'll tell you. (y)

And I think this one thing needs to be clarified--the one place NOTHING has gone is 'for sale' or profiteering in any way. If I could sell it, so could the OP, and it's unethical to step on someone's toes like that.

Hopefully those Opterons help out! Best of luck to you my man. Don't be shy if I post any other freebies up. You are welcome to have them.

I have gotten and given a lot of stuff here, I would love to buy real up to date stuff but I cant my wife is a nursing student and I'm covering everything right now so sometimes I do snatch up stuff to fix hardware I have picked up. some I do sell but it isn't big ticket items. it is usually stuff they couldn't use and couldn't sell either but work to finish some old system I am recycling for next to nothing.

Yeah, I see the same thing, but it varies from market to market. I know when I was looking for these in Alabama, it was impossible. But in Chicago, they're pretty readily available.
It also depends on the timing. I'm sure some of those Best Buy laptop trade in promotions clear a whole lot of those cheaper laptops from the used market. If I recall, one of the previous ones basically got you a $75 BB gift card for any functional Windows-based laptop.

It also depends on the timing. I'm sure some of those Best Buy laptop trade in promotions clear a whole lot of those cheaper laptops from the used market. If I recall, one of the previous ones basically got you a $75 BB gift card for any functional Windows-based laptop.
Ahh...I was unaware that BB did things like this. I guess it's cash for clunkers, except for computers, lol. :ROFLMAO:

I wonder what ends up happening to those laptops. I bet a lot of them eventually make their way to ebay.

My g/f has the D620. I put win7 on it. Dam thing is bulletproof.
I had 2 stacks of D630s that I bought as surplus holding down the floor in my apartment for 1-2 years.
Would have been happy to slap one together for cdr_74_premium, but unfortunately, traded them all to BestBuy when they had the
$75 minimum promo a little while back :(

The Latitude D620/D630 were notoriously unreliable due to a bug in the BIOS relating to the fan profile. The models with the integrated Quadro NVS video are even worse. The laptop basically has to be thermonuclear hot for the fan to even kick on, and it won't stay on for very long before it lets the laptop goes thermonuclear again.

Eventually the BGA joints on the chipset or Quadro NVS crack and the laptop is a brick. There was a point in time where I was replacing motherboards in these things by the dozen. Reballing the chipset and GPU weren't an option because the ROHS solder at the time usually caused the VIAs inside the chip package to fracture from mechanical stress.

There was a 3rd party fix for the fan, but it only worked on Windows XP or 32 bit versions of Vista and 7 because it used an unsigned driver that 64 bit versions of Windows refused to load.

Best to skip over the D6xx series Latitudes and get something like an E64xx/E65xx series.

The Latitude D620/D630 were notoriously unreliable due to a bug in the BIOS relating to the fan profile. The models with the integrated Quadro NVS video are even worse. The laptop basically has to be thermonuclear hot for the fan to even kick on, and it won't stay on for very long before it lets the laptop goes thermonuclear again.

Eventually the BGA joints on the chipset or Quadro NVS crack and the laptop is a brick. There was a point in time where I was replacing motherboards in these things by the dozen. Reballing the chipset and GPU weren't an option because the ROHS solder at the time usually caused the VIAs inside the chip package to fracture from mechanical stress.

There was a 3rd party fix for the fan, but it only worked on Windows XP or 32 bit versions of Vista and 7 because it used an unsigned driver that 64 bit versions of Windows refused to load.

Best to skip over the D6xx series Latitudes and get something like an E64xx/E65xx series.
This is really great information. I recently started using a portable version of hwinfo to speed up the fans on our d610s so they don't get too hot, but it seems that over time that program seems to crash the os.

I would be interested in that fix that you've mentioned as the only thing we run on these is 32-bit and the driver should solve the heat issue.

I forgot about that issue, best to avoid the ones with quadro nvs graphics for sure. Never had an issue with the regular ones though, except perhaps burning off a few of my sperm for leaving it on my lap too long.

I have a galaxy s9 case from max boost. Pay shipping and it's yours. I own a note 8.

This is really great information. I recently started using a portable version of hwinfo to speed up the fans on our d610s so they don't get too hot, but it seems that over time that program seems to crash the os.

I would be interested in that fix that you've mentioned as the only thing we run on these is 32-bit and the driver should solve the heat issue.

https://www.diefer.de/i8kfan/

The D600/D610 have less overheating issues than the D620/D630 because they're completely different internally. The former use Pentium M while the latter use Core 2 Duo parts. The only time you'd have overheating issues in the former is if the heatpipe heatsink is clogged or the fan intake is blocked.

Guys, please do try to keep the chit chat minimal in this thread. It makes it harder to find the items being offered.

Okay, got a freebie--actually LOTS of this freebie: Mohawk M57554 Cat5e cable.

Probably going to have almost 2000ft of this stuff once the swap over to fibre is done. It's in really good shape as it was never terminated and never used and has now been replaced by fibre so I've got tons of this stuff in all sorts of lengths up to 100ft+.

I have access to boxes to box up whatever length you want and you can just provide me something prepaid for the shipping that I can just slap on the box. I also have a UPS account so I can give you an exact shipping figure if you want to go that route as well. If you're local to the Chicago area (or want to drive here), you're free to just come pick some up. (y)

I just can't use this much cable (I've already set aside as much as I can use), and I'd hate to see it thrown away. Free to a good home!

Free - First PM first Server. Logitech C920 webcam with overheat issue. Logitech replaced it and I threw it in a box to work on, and never got back to it. Missing a piece on the right side, but camera works great for about 5 minutes, and then randomly shuts off. Could be great for someone to take apart and do a project with.

GONE

Last edited:
Not free but I have a grab bag of HDD's in my FS/FT thread. Currently up to 4 HDDs, may add more as I consolidate and shut down systems before I go overseas so if you're in need of a few random older HDDs check it out

If you mention you were from the freebies thread I can toss in 2x 1 GB DDR2 as well as 2x 1 GB DDR2 Laptop Ram, 2x 1 GB DDR3 laptop ram, and 1x 1 GB DDR3 desktop ram for free, not worth the hassle charging for tiny sticks so FREEBIES!

As time goes on I will be adding more tiny shit to the grab bag box lol, hope to keep the price low but may go up a buck or two as the pile grows, currently 7 small sticks of assorted RAM

https://hardforum.com/threads/leavi...rs-local-other-stuff.1909657/#post-1042513748

Last edited:
X-Case RM 100S 1u server case

It’s probably not gonna be super cheap to ship so if budget is the primary concern, buy from newegg since they have cheaper shipping than I could ever dream of. It ships from zip 26070 and i'd use ~17lbs as a weight for an estimate.

Last edited:
X-Case RM 100S 1u server case

It’s probably not gonna be super cheap to ship so if budget is the primary concern, buy from newegg since they have cheaper shipping than I could ever dream of. It ships from zip 26070 and i'd use ~17lbs as a weight for an estimate.

That'd make for a good DIY router project

Back