The [H]ardForum Perpetual Freebies Thread

If anyone wants I have a Xeon W3520 & W3540 I have no needs for. LGA 1366 boards are just to expensive.

Also does anyone have an old 771 Dual Server board and a couple 2GB of DDR2 laying around

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Non of my cases can fit eATX
Bummer. Yeah, I did some searches and can't find anything even a barebone for <$100. Seems like these systems are still viable and in demand even though the processors are unbelievably cheap. :(

Bummer. Yeah, I did some searches and can't find anything even a barebone for <$100. Seems like these systems are still viable and in demand even though the processors are unbelievably cheap. :(
There’s a whole forum dedicated to 1366 Xeons and it’s well and thriving. A lot of people love 1366 as it offers good core count and great performance for the age.

There’s a whole forum dedicated to 1366 Xeons and it’s well and thriving. A lot of people love 1366 as it offers good core count and great performance for the age.
Doesn't surprise me. It's amazing how much power these can be when picked up cheap like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Power...138101?hash=item1ed32fb575:g:FysAAOSwh2xYAR-N

Add a drive and a video card and you have a decent sytem for <$200. And even more power is fairly cheap upgrade to dual x5670s. Not great for gaming, but that's a lot of cores for just normal stuff.

Anyone have a 1080p webcam that is not in use? My gf wants to start streaming.

I still have a maxboost Samsung s9 case and Energizer 1616 battery, you pay shipping.

looking for a pci or usb wireless card, G is ok, but something with good linux support

Does anyone have a cheap AM3 heatsink and/or cooler? It is for an ITX build. Thanks!

Last edited:
So I found this guy at the local thrift store today, got it for $3. I know there's several people who SWEAR by these mice, and it's in pretty good condition and does work. So I got it for a [H] member who may want it. Just pay the $3 and shipping if you don't mind and it's yours.

ZuXlcwnh.jpg

JzYeBeSh.jpg

Reactions: t_ski
like this
Very cool find and awesome that you rescued it.

I got lucky recently and found a Logitech wired thumb trackball at the local good will. I swear by these things to keep rsi away and I didn't have any backups until I found this guy.

It's amazing how some of the best devices ever made have just gone to the wayside over the years. (case in point--I'm typing this from a 1990-something IBM Model M)

Unicomp manufactures true buckling-spring keyboards now, if you want that good ol' tactile feel. They bought up the IP and tooling for those keyboards :)

Unicomp manufactures true buckling-spring keyboards now, if you want that good ol' tactile feel. They bought up the IP and tooling for those keyboards :)
Yep! I have 2 of those too, but they're not as good as the originals when comparing the exact remake to the original. Their newer designs have some of their own merits and a slightly different feel which I like as well.

So I found this guy at the local thrift store today, got it for $3. I know there's several people who SWEAR by these mice, and it's in pretty good condition and does work. So I got it for a [H] member who may want it. Just pay the $3 and shipping if you don't mind and it's yours.

I'll take it if it hasn't been claimed.

I use these on all of my machines and repair them until they can't be repaired anymore. I can replace just about everything internally except the CCD, which I've only had one mouse suffer death from.

Still using a Microsoft Intellimouse Optical myself even this moment that's been going strong since 2004, I'd love to have a new one of course but finding them brand new in the box is nearly impossible anymore. I do scavenge thrift stores now and again in the hopes of finding one. Steel Series made a revamped model years ago, never used one but I did like the ability to have 'em made from colors you chose as part of the customization, that was pretty cool.

Best. Mouse. Ever. ;)

I wish Microsoft or some creative hacker would take one of these and make it Bluetooth capable, I really do but I suppose even the most capable hackers couldn't manage that feat, who knows (hint, hint to any creative hackers out there)> :p

Still using a Microsoft Intellimouse Optical myself even this moment that's been going strong since 2004, I'd love to have a new one of course but finding them brand new in the box is nearly impossible anymore. I do scavenge thrift stores now and again in the hopes of finding one. Steel Series made a revamped model years ago, never used one but I did like the ability to have 'em made from colors you chose as part of the customization, that was pretty cool.

Best. Mouse. Ever. ;)

I wish Microsoft or some creative hacker would take one of these and make it Bluetooth capable, I really do but I suppose even the most capable hackers couldn't manage that feat, who knows (hint, hint to any creative hackers out there)> :p
It's an interesting thought--a bluetooth-to-USB adapter. Actually probably wouldn't be that difficult to implement that part. The power consumption might make things a bit tricky, however.

It's an interesting thought--a bluetooth-to-USB adapter. Actually probably wouldn't be that difficult to implement that part. The power consumption might make things a bit tricky, however.

Yah, I meant put it all inside the Intellimouse Optical and find a way to put a rechargeable battery in it too perhaps, there's actually quite a bit of space inside that mouse housing. If I was that kind of creative hacker I'd do it - hell, if I had the money I'd have Ben Heck work on it, I'm sure he could do it. :)

Microsoft recently revived the Intellimouse Explorer in a newer slimmer form: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sto...ouse/94k0pmt1cmfw?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

I can't see why they couldn't just redo the Intellimouse Optical as well, it's got a massive following of users behind it but I suppose it was never considered a major success even in spite of it being popular. Oh well... we've derailed this thread enough. :)

I had no idea these mice were in such high demand. Our local goodwill always has old pointing devices. I'll be sure to pick some up for you guys. (y)

I currently have three of them, one being the rare black model. I haven't been able to find any in years now, the only ones I've seen are the models without the side buttons. The one I got above will go on my media PC which used to have the one that had the CCD die.

If you find any working Microsoft Intellimouse Optical 1.1 devices (it'll say version 1.1 or 1.1A on the bottom label just above the barcode) definitely let me (or us) know, please. While mine is still going strong after basically 15 years I never know if or when it could just die on me and if that happens I'm gonna be a bit frustrated while I attempt to find a replacement. :)

I looked at eBay earlier and there's plenty of the black version available but the pricing is of course crazy ridiculous. Even saw two white ones brand new in the box (which may or may not be entirely true, it's too hard to say for sure) for like $95+ so yeah, the IMO is absolutely a piece of "cult hardware" I suppose. :D

If you find any working Microsoft Intellimouse Optical 1.1 devices (it'll say version 1.1 or 1.1A on the bottom label just above the barcode) definitely let me (or us) know, please. While mine is still going strong after basically 15 years I never know if or when it could just die on me and if that happens I'm gonna be a bit frustrated while I attempt to find a replacement. :)

The only parts that really fail on the Intellimouse are the microswitches and the USB cable where it comes out of the mouse. Both are fixable, but the microswitches are a bit more difficult because you have to align them properly. I've had to do both repairs a few times over the years.

I looked at eBay earlier and there's plenty of the black version available but the pricing is of course crazy ridiculous. Even saw two white ones brand new in the box (which may or may not be entirely true, it's too hard to say for sure) for like $95+ so yeah, the IMO is absolutely a piece of "cult hardware" I suppose. :D

What keywords are you using? There are several available for way less than that.

Black (3 available as of writing) - $20
https://www.ebay.com/itm/183219368823

Possibly Chinese clone of white version? - ~$30
https://www.ebay.com/itm/192500523425

Last edited:
Anyone have a 1080p webcam that is not in use? My gf wants to start streaming.

I still have a maxboost Samsung s9 case and Energizer 1616 battery, you pay shipping.

Probably worth getting a nice camera for streaming :p

Anybody got a small USB fan that I can sit behind my router to keep it cool? Also a USB hub?

Bundle 1

z5500 - complete with busted control pod
mx5500 - functional but the range sucks, keyboard wrist rest is sticky so taped
mx3200 - functional but old
n5902 mini keyboards - x2, one is missing the receiver
Asus Transformer T100 - one broken, one good condition, + one keyboard attachment
2x2GB SODIMMS
Linksys WRT54G - can't really keep up with modern internet loads
Turtle Beach X12s - pretty sure these were functional when retired
iPod dock
Terk HDTV antenna
TP Link AV500 Outlet Ethernet sets x2
Misc TV tuners internal and external
Misc external HDD adapters

I would be interested in this depending on shipping cost. Zip is 75949.

Back