The [H]ardForum Perpetual Freebies Thread

Looking for a cheap old flat-screen LCD monitor with a small/clean/professional bezel (15", 17", 1024x768 or higher, trying to avoid the eMachines style stuff with the HUGE stand and bezel, VGA input fine, prefer detachable stand if possible).

This might be too much to ask for free+ship, but figured I'd throw it in here.

I got an old (but BNIB) thinkcenter from work recently and am turning it into a retro emulation machine, so nothing too fancy needed.
I have a square hp vesa mountable (no stand included) that fits this description that I have no need for...but shipping will be a B. I can get details on it in a bit, but you’re probably in the $20-$30 range to pack/ship. What’s your zip code?

Reactions: xx0xx
like this
I had the thought to try Goodwill as well and all four of our local Goodwills were fresh out :)

I have a square hp vesa mountable (no stand included) that fits this description that I have no need for...but shipping will be a B. I can get details on it in a bit, but you’re probably in the $20-$30 range to pack/ship. What’s your zip code?

I might actually need a stand (it's kinda iffy whether I do or not depending on a few factors), so I'd prefer to have one as a backup. I'll PM you if I'm interested further.

I'll look around a bit more, that liquidations site (or ebay) might have what I need (also while CL/FB didn't have anything earlier, there are a few new posts within the past few hours with cheap monitors). Thanks everyone.

Last edited:
anyone have a BXTS15A intel cooler?

intel_bxts15a_air_cooled_thermal_solution_1447274318000_1180786.jpg

happy to pay shipping plus some!

I have a socket 1366 Xeon e5640 I don't mind giving to a good home as well.

Ended up ordering a cooler. Xeon still up for grabs

Not sure why you'd want such an ugly, monstrous and expensive piece of junk. It's like the original full height LGA775 cooler with a wart on top to make it even more hideous.

They go for $50-80 on ebay, christ. I would have gotten a Hyper 212 Evo or a Zalman CNPS5X if you needed something smaller. Both perform better for half the cost.

Not sure why you'd want such an ugly, monstrous and expensive piece of junk. It's like the original full height LGA775 cooler with a wart on top to make it even more hideous.

They go for $50-80 on ebay, christ. I would have gotten a Hyper 212 Evo or a Zalman CNPS5X if you needed something smaller. Both perform better for half the cost.

the case is 127mm tall and I wanted something better than stock. Ended up ordering a CNPS8900 quiet edition for $15.

Does anyone have any DDR3 lying around? Trying to get some older machines up and going to donate. A few sticks of at least 2 GB would be fine.

Let me check this afternoon bro. I think I have some 2gb generic DDR3 memory modules. However, they might be all dang ECC but I'll check for sure.

Let me check this afternoon bro. I think I have some 2gb generic DDR3 memory modules. However, they might be all dang ECC but I'll check for sure.

Yeah, that's the problem I have. Got a bin of DDR/DDR2 ECC memory and nothing that can use it. My DDR3 stock is down to a single 1 GB stick that I keep around for testing.

GiGaBiTe , just got home after taking the wife out to a movie. Will check tomorrow but I'm pretty sure I have some standard 2 gig sticks of ram.

If they're ecc unbuffered, they should work fine in non-ecc systems. They just won't be doing ecc. It's ecc registered or buffered that won't work at all.

If they're ecc unbuffered, they should work fine in non-ecc systems. They just won't be doing ecc. It's ecc registered or buffered that won't work at all.

That doesn't apply to DDR2 systems in my experience (Intel).

For DDR3, I know that's true for anything AMD (so far). Did not try anything Intel yet to see.

That doesn't apply to DDR2 systems in my experience (Intel).

For DDR3, I know that's true for anything AMD (so far). Did not try anything Intel yet to see.
Forgot to mention the same--I've only experienced this with ddr3.

would anyone have a 2.5" ide hdd larger than 60gb that they have that is no longer being used or needed?

Anyone have an Intel 7260 dual-band wireless-AC MiniPCI-E card (or similar)? I think the model number is 7260HMW.

Looking to upgrade the WiFi on a a few-year-old Sony laptop that currently has a Broadcom single-band Wireless-N card. I am looking on Ebay too, but I've heard of issues with WiFi cards and BIOS whitelists (as well as both AC and N cards sharing the 7260 model number). Thanks!

LOL, Just double checking. Thank you. How much to ship the 256mb stick to 32927?

A bubble mailer doing snail mail will probably be like $3-5. Priority mail will be like $7-9 and will get there faster.

Just remember that I have no idea if these modules work, or where they came from.

Isn't it just one of the crappy low profile crappy spiral heatsinks Intel has been using forever? It's what was included with my 6700k.
yes, but the one with the copper slug is leaps better than the all aluminum one FYI

yes, but the one with the copper slug is leaps better than the all aluminum one FYI

I've used and tested both variants and there's literally no difference in performance. The only thing the copper slug variant does is sink more heat into the copper before the CPU overheats because the aluminum fins can't reject it fast enough. This happens partly because the aluminum used is of poor quality and because the fan on the top is not ducted, so the majority of the static pressure is blown out the side of the fan blades and nothing into the fins.

These were awful back in the Pentium D days and are still awful today. Can't tell you how many of them I've tossed over the years, including the one that came with my 6700k. I used it briefly while waiting for my Hyper 212 Evo, and the CPU would overheat constantly.

I've used and tested both variants and there's literally no difference in performance. The only thing the copper slug variant does is sink more heat into the copper before the CPU overheats because the aluminum fins can't reject it fast enough. This happens partly because the aluminum used is of poor quality and because the fan on the top is not ducted, so the majority of the static pressure is blown out the side of the fan blades and nothing into the fins.

These were awful back in the Pentium D days and are still awful today. Can't tell you how many of them I've tossed over the years, including the one that came with my 6700k. I used it briefly while waiting for my Hyper 212 Evo, and the CPU would overheat constantly.
man, theres many a people here who would've traded you a bologna sandwich for one of those.

It's amazing what even supposedly bad stock coolers will do when the fan is floord by pulling the pwm pin--I regularly put 95w processors under 65w heatsinks in higher ambient temperature environments (80F) and they're rock solid even after I headsoak them for 30 minutes. I don't think I've got a single processor that hits 70C, and most stay under 60C even under full load for 30+ minutes in 80F+. Sure, they can be loud, but I'm never near any of these so sound doesn't matter to me.

It's amazing what even supposedly bad stock coolers will do when the fan is floord by pulling the pwm pin--I regularly put 95w processors under 65w heatsinks in higher ambient temperature environments (80F) and they're rock solid even after I headsoak them for 30 minutes. I don't think I've got a single processor that hits 70C, and most stay under 60C even under full load for 30+ minutes in 80F+. Sure, they can be loud, but I'm never near any of these so sound doesn't matter to me.

I have bad tinnitus, the noise these things make at any appreciable fan speed is intolerable, especially when I have to sit next to them for hours on end. They all get trashed if I have to deal with them for any length of time, it costs more to ship them anywhere than they're worth.

I have bad tinnitus, the noise these things make at any appreciable fan speed is intolerable, especially when I have to sit next to them for hours on end. They all get trashed if I have to deal with them for any length of time, it costs more to ship them anywhere than they're worth.
I see how that would be quite annoying. Mine are hundreds of miles away from me so I don't hear squat. :D

And don't think they're not worth shipping. You'd be surprised what someone needs, especially if you offer them up right here. (y)

Nice, but sometimes something like that won't fit in something like an SFF. Just saying that don't be surprised if someone needs a part you don't. ;) Hence the point of this thread--one man's garbage, another man's upgrade.

Back