The [H]ard Forum Storage Showoff Thread - Post your 10TB+ systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
damn
i just beat the 20t mark ... and here i am watching Ockie working on his 40+ .... sad :D
kinda scary too, im using 1.5 seagates all over the place :D

Don't worry, at the cost of 2tb drives and a complete new system build... plus a more aware wife and less play time at home... it's gonna be a slow project. Also, I'm not short on storage, so I have no rush to scale.

Don't worry, at the cost of 2tb drives and a complete new system build... plus a more aware wife and less play time at home... it's gonna be a slow project. Also, I'm not short on storage, so I have no rush to scale.

shiny
im ~1month away from final updates, gona stay with ~65-70 till late autumn, hopefully longer

that chanbro ... thats seven kinds of nasty ... for those moneys you can get 42u, 8x norco + probably have some leftovers for 8p kvm thingie :D

Man and I just wanted to join the club :(, I am at 4-5 Tbs total, anyone wants to donate 5 1 gig drives so I can join the club :)? lol

Man and I just wanted to join the club :(, I am at 4-5 Tbs total, anyone wants to donate 5 1 gig drives so I can join the club :)? lol
I've got a quantum fireball 25GB you can have for the cost of shipping

It did until I found the price of it. When it first came out I inquired about the price and quickly closed the window :)

As low as $2972.57 but no idea on how legitimate. lol

Yea with the price of the new 4220s or whatever the 4020s replacement is, the Chenbro is insanely overpriced IMO.

As low as $2972.57 but no idea on how legitimate. lol

Yea with the price of the new 4220s or whatever the 4020s replacement is, the Chenbro is insanely overpriced IMO.

You should see the 5u 50 drive cases, they are almost 5,000. it is the density people are paying for.

I've been long dreaming of a 50 bay norco case with norcos aggressive pricing.

You should see the 5u 50 drive cases, they are almost 5,000. it is the density people are paying for.

Like the Dell one a few pages back?

Similar to the dell one, but holds a full system also. It's more or less like the Sun case. The big problem with these is their sheer weight, size, and cost... not to mention noise.

I will email norco later to see what they have coming out in regards to bigger cases, even a 50 bay at a 1k price point would be a bargain.

See, when $5,000 is involved, it would only make sense to [H] it up a little bit and fabricate yourself a chassis! I can't imagine ever needing $2,000 in materials on your case and you would have something way more unique. :D

See, when $5,000 is involved, it would only make sense to [H] it up a little bit and fabricate yourself a chassis! I can't imagine ever needing $2,000 in materials on your case and you would have something way more unique. :D

My feelings exactly. The HDDs should be the main expense, not the case to hold them :rolleyes:. That's why I really could not bring myself to buy $100 hotswap cages for my system. For that price, one can buy a whole new case with at least 5 bays (or another 1.5TB). Why is it so hard to get density at a good price? Afterall, this is just metal we're talking about...

My feelings exactly. The HDDs should be the main expense, not the case to hold them :rolleyes:. That's why I really could not bring myself to buy $100 hotswap cages for my system. For that price, one can buy a whole new case with at least 5 bays (or another 1.5TB). Why is it so hard to get density at a good price? Afterall, this is just metal we're talking about...

I agree... The hotswap cages are nice but not worth the cost when you are dealing with that many units. I don't mind taking the computer apart to unscrew a HDD, it's probably takes just as long to do that than screw the drive to the hotswap drawer. More money to spend on the SATA RAID adapter...

10.013 TB (10,750gb advertised)

Rocketfish case (Lian-Li knockoff) w/ 3x 120mm fans
Rosewill 850w psu
Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R motherboard
E6600
2gb RAM
2-port Rosewill add-in card
4-port Promise add-in card
DVD-RW (IDE)
2x 1.5tb Seagate 7200.11
5x 1tb WD EACS (green)
2x 750gb WD AAKS
1x 750gb WD AACS (green)
1X 500gb Maxtor 7H500F0 (OS)
Windows Home Server

Kill A Watt results: 165w while balancing, 120w idle, 1w off

11 hard drives ghetto'd in here:
WHS%2010tb.jpg

WHS%2010tb%201.jpg

Last edited:
welcome in 10T< world
damn dude, thats some ghetto moding
let me guess, those two new 1.5 are in the middle? :D

You show me a case where I don't need to use high density configurations and I'll buy it. Especially with 20+ drive requirements.

Also, keep in mind, these cases are real server territory, they were never meant to be home build systems nor even used in homes. In the data center world, you can not afford to have wired hard drives.

I agree... The hotswap cages are nice but not worth the cost when you are dealing with that many units. I don't mind taking the computer apart to unscrew a HDD, it's probably takes just as long to do that than screw the drive to the hotswap drawer. More money to spend on the SATA RAID adapter...

The new hot swap systems are screw less, they are absolutely awesome. They are only starting to come out for brand servers and in server chassis. I was hoping norco had done this with this new case, but I can't have everything ;)

12.57 TB (advertised)

Cooler Master Centurion 590
Corsair HX520
ECS KN1 Extreme
Opteron 165
4GB total (2gb Gskill, 2gb Corsair VS)
EVGA 7950GT KO (my only leftover, non-agp card :p)
3x Cooler Master 120mm fans
2x Cooler Master 4-in-3 cages with 120mm Scythe S-FLEX fans
Supermicro AOC-SATA2-MV8
2x Western Digital 1.5TB WD15EADS
3x Western Digital 2.0TB WD20EADS
1x Seagate 1.0TB ST31000528AS
4x Seagate 500GB ST3500630AS
1x Seagate 320GB ST3320620AS
1x Seagate 250GB ST3250820A
CyberPower 550VA UPS
Windows Home Server

Was built as an upgrade from my old media server (98% of the purpose). Streams music, dvds, blurays, etc to my HTPC and other computers. Also now serving as backup for computers and a basic printer/file server.

It is surprisingly quiet given what is stuffed in there (really only is noticeable when it seeks to the older drives) and temps are quite reasonable as well.

This is my first WHS build so still getting used to it. All the drives except the 320 will be added to the storage pool (going to save the 320 for torrent downloads), still just working to pull data off them onto the new drives before I wipe them and add them :)

Console pic shortly after getting it all up and running:
3582413659_783afbc2ea_o.jpg

Pro cable management :p I'm irritated because I can't find one of the modular power cable lines for the power supply (it's in a box somewhere) so the wiring is considerably more ghetto than it should of been. If I can find it, I'd like to redo all the wiring (I didn't want to get too hardcore about twist/zipties in case I had to take it all back apart)
3583178602_7e2bc22b8c_b.jpg

3583178186_f64be26496_b.jpg

Very pleased with this case as well; it looks low key (eventually I'd like to move it to the closet but for now it's on a shelf in the main room) and the 120mm fans keep it nice and quiet. I'm very pleased for $60. Only downside obviously is the lack of hotswap but with WHS hotswaps don't seem to be fast anyway and at least the hard drive cages are a snap to get in and out of the case.

Still need to sort out my network issues (onboard gigE only showing as 100mbps even with correct drivers :rolleyes: ) but it certainly works and is plenty fast for streaming high-def movies.

Last edited:
12.57 TB (advertised)
Still need to sort out my network issues (onboard gigE only showing as 100mbps even with correct drivers :rolleyes: ) but it certainly works and is plenty fast for streaming high-def movies.

Have you tried to force the network card to GB in the settings page?
I have had unusal issues like that at LANS where peoples nics are randomly droppin to 100mb, force it to GB and it works at full speed, they are very happy.

welcome in 10T< world
damn dude, thats some ghetto moding
let me guess, those two new 1.5 are in the middle? :D

Yeah, those are the 1.5's in the middle. I've put drives there before to transfer things and they stay cool. The wiring was tidy, once.

As you can see I have Akasa sound mat lining much of the case, it helps a bit. I have a 3-in-2 cage in the front below a card reader and the DVD drive. The PSU is just hanging out the back more or less, being one of the longer units. Overall this case is a PITA to work on now that I'm over capacity.

I just got those two 1.5tb drives ($218 shipped) and it was a tough call between those or a Norco case. I was down to under 50gb free and needed the space badly so I went with the drives. In addition to the Norco case I'll need the Supermicro PCI-X cards so that's more of a $500 endeavor anyway.

My wife just bought a bunch of camera equipment for her business so things are a bit tight right now so the Norco will wait a bit more. She shoots in .jpg and .nef (Nikon's raw type format) and every time the shutter clicks it's about 19mb - it adds up.

Have you tried to force the network card to GB in the settings page?
I have had unusal issues like that at LANS where peoples nics are randomly droppin to 100mb, force it to GB and it works at full speed, they are very happy.

Yup, no luck :( Just kills the connection until it's switched back. Part of the issue is troubleshooting network issues through the console is a bit of a chore at best. I'll probably doublecheck all the rest of the computers on my network and see if maybe it's a problem somewhere else.

Yup, no luck :( Just kills the connection until it's switched back. Part of the issue is troubleshooting network issues through the console is a bit of a chore at best. I'll probably doublecheck all the rest of the computers on my network and see if maybe it's a problem somewhere else.

Just out of interest what switch have you got? are you sure that it is capable of GB speeds - if it is managed are you sure the port in use is set to auto or Gig?

After checking the switch to make sure it can handle a 1GB connection check your network cables leading to the machine. I had a cable at my patch panel get damaged and I experienced the same issue you are describing. If they are in the same room just run a new cable to the switch and see if it negotiates 1GB.

im glad i just found this thread, i just bought 8x1.5TB :)
i'll have to post some pictures soon.

Ockie, you just need to buy from me already. I have all the really good stuff.
Speaking of, say hello to one of my newer toys. I love it when I find out about auctions, don't you?

Code:
root@peregrinus ~:# lsvg
VOLUME GROUP: testgrp
VG IDENTIFIER: REMOVED
VG STATE: active
PP SIZE: 512 megabyte(s)
VG PERMISSION: read/write
TOTAL PPs: 34988 (17913856 megabytes)
MAX LVs: 1536
FREE PPs: 2220
OPEN LVs: 18
-- snip --

Got it hooked up to my P510Q at the moment through a Qlogic SB1404 4Gbit FC switch. :)

Speaking of, say hello to one of my newer toys. I love it when I find out about auctions, don't you?

Code:
-- snip --

Got it hooked up to my P510Q at the moment through a Qlogic SB1404 4Gbit FC switch. :)

Send me your contact info and what you deal with primarily.

Coincidentally, the guy I deal with just send me an email today for a P510 specials :)

Code:
-- snip --

Can not compete on the toys, but the sig????

....Heat under AreEss. I honestly don't give a crap if you love me or hate me - just so long as you're less stupid in the end......

I fixed your storage but I eated it. ?????? surely you mean ate it!

What do you guys think of this Raid Card + Battery.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816151048

Based on reviews I am pretty certain I want to go Areca, but I think its maybe a large overkill for my set up.

Basically looking at Raid 0 with 2-4 drives, for now Velociraptors, in the future SDD's, and then a mix of small other raids, ie 4 raid 0 main, and 2 raid 0 friends, etc, mix and match or maybe just JBOD on the data drives (10 drives total).

Raid is for Gaming, Movie Editing, and 3D Work.

I keep thinking whether I should have parity, and use Raid 10, or something to safeguard my data, but nothing is really mission critical stuff, its my own personal computer, I mean I don't want to risk losing data, but up to now (knock on wood) I haven't lost any due to hardware failure. So the space maybe more important the keeping it safe.

I would like your opinion. I normally simply use the high end mobo chipsets, IE ICH10R, etc. But I wanted a raid card, to not depend on mobo, and I need to be able to hook up 10 Hardrives to it.

Thanks!

You don't buy a $1000 RAID card if you aren't going to use RAID levels with parity.

You don't buy a $1000 RAID card if you aren't going to use RAID levels with parity.

I was going to buy it simply to JBOD for WHS.. I wanted something with a lot of ports in a single slot :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back