The Great Keyboard N-Key Rollover (NKRO) Test/Round-up

THE QUICK BROWN FOX JUMPS RIGHT OVER THE LAZY DOG

Cooler Master Storm Trigger with both shifts and caps lock held down.

THE QUICK BROWN FOX JUMPS OVER THE LAZY DOG

Corsair Vengeance K60 both shifts and caps held down.

Logitech K800

THE QICK BROWN OX JMPS RIGHT OVER THE LAZY OG

Caps lock and both shifts depressed. It obviously fails. "U, F, and D" are a no go.

I use a cyber snipa WASD pad and not the KB to game with so it is not that big of a loss to me.

Last edited:
HE QUIK BROWN FO JUPS RIGH OER HE LA DOG
Logitech dinovo edge with both shifts held down.

If I hold caps too, I get absolutely no response from any key.

the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog!@#$%^&*()

Rosewill cherry red 104 keys. Double shift and caps lock.

thanks to this great thread I was able to decide on a keyboard and went with the CM Storm Trigger -- though I wish the backlight were blue or green :p

THEQCKBRWFXJRGHTVERTHELAZYG

Razer Black Widow Ultimate. Double shift.

why not.. on a hangover from hell..

microsoft arc wireless keyboard

the quick brown fo jumps right over the lazy dog

same result with both shifts + caps pressed and both shifts pressed + caps activated but not pressed..

hmm.. funny, the only keys that fails are the "x" and the "@"..

~!#$%^&*()_+
qwertyuiop{}|
asdfghjkl:"
zcvbnm<>?

I figured I would keymash my corsair K60 just to dick around with the 20KRO

;a ,M>?IKRJLUDEOZFGNTimuhjk dln.,efr;/
i,joekadmu rl>FSTZ:GXC
ihmnujytgkradf;,ecvslz.ox/
q8p279jk43i6al;d5ouyeswtfhr
17-n,i85w[uex23
&#457;T2KP0[YF5O7'EILRJU8>w?m$: sqhn<
2PQDK8Y7;LOI0JU' hmn^rt$%e#swaf?

works pretty damn well.

starting with caps-lock off, pressed left shift, right shift, caps lock, all while typing the phrase.

Leopold mech
the quick brown fox jumped right over the lazy dog.

Nexxtech Ultimate Keyboard

Both shift held down: HE QUIC BROWN OX UMP RIGH OVER HE Z OG

Both shift + CAPS LOCK: unnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooouummmmmmmmmrhe

lol

Laptop integrated keyboard (ASUS N53SN, Core i7 2620QM, GT550M 2GB, 750GB HDD, FHD LCD).

Both shifts:
THEUIKROWFOJUPEDRIGHTOERTHELAYDOG

Both shifts+Caps lock:
theuikrowfojupedrightoerthelaydog

Last edited:
Laptop integrated keyboard

Both shifts:
THEUIKROWFOJUPEDRIGHTOERTHELAYDOG

Both shifts+Caps lock:
theuikrowfojupedrightoerthelaydog

How about telling us which laptop, as in the brand and model number

the quick brown fox jumped right over the lazy dog

Logitech G510, Shiftx2 + Caps. Worth noting that Shift + Space + any D-pad key doesn't work though.

Last edited:
the quick brown fox jumped right over the lazy dog

Rosewill RK-9000BR - Cherry Brown

I've never seen the word "right" in that phrase, seems redundant.

Some Dell cheapie, used both shifts + caps lock. I still hate this keyboard

shift+shift
THEQUIKROWFOJUPSOERTHELAYDOG
shift+shift+capslock

Alienware m17x-r3 laptop

shift+shift
shift+shift+capslock

Alienware m17x-r3 laptop

Hey could you please do this with just the left shift, also can you do these 2 tests
Test 2:
Put 6 fingers on sdf lkj.
Press all 6 keys together 5 times in a row quickly then press enter. Repeat this 10 times.

Test 3:

Hold shift and E, then press space several times allowing E to repeat. Do the same with S,D,F

Hey could you please do this with just the left shift, also can you do these 2 tests

Test 1:

Test 2:

sjdflkldsfjkdsfjlksdfjlkdsfjlk
sdfjlkdsfjlksfldjklkdsfjdsfjlk
sdfjlkfdsjlksfjlkdsfdjlksfdjlk
ldsfjksfdjlksfdjlksdfjlksdfjlk
sdfjlkdsfjlkjdsflkfdsjlksdfjlk
jldsfksdfjlkdsfjlksdfjlksdfjlk
sdfjlkfdsjlksfjlkdsfdjlksfdjlk
sdfjlkskdfjlsdfjlksdfjlkfdsjlk
sdfjlkdsfjlksdfjlkdsfjlksdfjlk
dsfjlkfdsjlkjkdsflfdsjlksfjlkd

Test 3:

Hold shift and E, then press space several times allowing E to repeat. Do the same with S,D,F[/QUOTE]
e test
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
d test
DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
s test
SSSSSS
f test
FFFFFFF

o_O

Test 2:
Put 6 fingers on sdf lkj.
Press all 6 keys together 5 times in a row quickly then press enter. Repeat this 10 times.

Test 3:

Hold shift and E, then press space several times allowing E to repeat. Do the same with S,D,F

OK, I'm curious. What are these tests supposed to show/prove? /scratches head

Just because a keyboard can pass the capslock+shift+shift test does not mean it is 6KRO

The first test was just to see if maybe that keyboard can do things that matter. I game with my left hand on shift but dont really touch the right shift, so passing that test gives me some confidence this keyboard might work. I happen to be interested in the M17x R4 and chances are the R3 has the same keyboard. Oddly none of the hundreds of users on notebookreview have bothered to reply to my request with an R4.

These tests we come up with are attempts to meansure something very difficult. And the companies that make keyboard quickly learn to re engineer their keyboards to pass certain tests. But oh wont you be dissapointed when some key combination does not work.

Test 2 I call the braille test because blind people must do exactly that to encode braille, often they will be screwed if their keyboard cannot do that. It gives you a sense of is it possible for the keyboard to register a full 6 keys at once, IE 6KRO the most we can expect from USB.

Test 3 is me trying to figure out if a ESDF config will work, see alot of companies have gone to designs that increase rollover in the WASD cluster, but they will often sacrifice very basic rollover elsewhere. For instance the asus G75 which is their flagship gaming laptop will fail test 3 meaning anyone who ESDF games is screwed on that laptop. ON the ASUS you cannot press SHIFT, SPACE and E, which means you cant go forward jump and duck. Wouldnt I be pissed off if I had to eat a restocking fee because of that?

At this point the alienware m17x r4may be the only laptop that comes with a modern video card 7970 or 680, a 120hz display and a keyboard I can use as a ESDF gamer. =[ But the keyrollover on that R3 is pretty bad in the first test.

Just because a keyboard can pass the capslock+shift+shift test does not mean it is 6KRO

The first test was just to see if maybe that keyboard can do things that matter. I game with my left hand on shift but dont really touch the right shift, so passing that test gives me some confidence this keyboard might work. I happen to be interested in the M17x R4 and chances are the R3 has the same keyboard. Oddly none of the hundreds of users on notebookreview have bothered to reply to my request with an R4.

These tests we come up with are attempts to meansure something very difficult. And the companies that make keyboard quickly learn to re engineer their keyboards to pass certain tests. But oh wont you be dissapointed when some key combination does not work.

Test 2 I call the braille test because blind people must do exactly that to encode braille, often they will be screwed if their keyboard cannot do that. It gives you a sense of is it possible for the keyboard to register a full 6 keys at once, IE 6KRO the most we can expect from USB.

Test 3 is me trying to figure out if a ESDF config will work, see alot of companies have gone to designs that increase rollover in the WASD cluster, but they will often sacrifice very basic rollover elsewhere. For instance the asus G75 which is their flagship gaming laptop will fail test 3 meaning anyone who ESDF games is screwed on that laptop. ON the ASUS you cannot press SHIFT, SPACE and E, which means you cant go forward jump and duck. Wouldnt I be pissed off if I had to eat a restocking fee because of that?

At this point the alienware m17x r4may be the only laptop that comes with a modern video card 7970 or 680, a 120hz display and a keyboard I can use as a ESDF gamer. =[ But the keyrollover on that R3 is pretty bad in the first test.

Thanks for the explanation. I assume you've considered/don't want to use an external keyboard that has adequate KRO for your use? I don't know how mobile you plan to be with the M17x, but if you'd use it primarily at home and its keyboard isn't up to the task I wouldn't let that be the show-stopper.

Ya, if I was going to use an external keyboard I would have alot of options, the first would be just going with a ASUS which is much cheaper. I have a desktop at home and I need whatever laptop I have to game on the go./ do not want to lug a keyboard around in addition to my mouse.

This is what fundamentally bothers me. I dont care if a desktop or all in one ships with a crappy keyboard because replacing it will make no difference in its function, However, with laptops the keyboard cannot be replaced without making it much more cumbersome in most cases. So the keyboard is all that much more important. It makes it extremely hard to pick a laptop. I actually have $2700 to buy a laptop and still cant even find one. I have been sitting like this waiting for something to pop up since april.

BTW anyone have an R4?

Last edited:

both shifts, caps lock, scroll lock down on K90 usb

Logitech UltraX Keyboard (over USB)
Model: Y-BL49
HE QUIC BROWN OX UMP OVER HE Z OG

Cherry (over PS/2 on a DELL docking station)
Model: MY 3000 R/M
Artikel: G81-3000LPNEU1-00
HE QUIK BROWN FO JUPS OER HE LA DOG

Dell SK-8115 (over USB on a DELL docking station)
HE QUIK BROWN FO JUPS OER HE LA DOG

Microsoft Internet Keyboard (over PS/2)
Model: RT9410 V:56TWIL
TE UIC RWN JUS VER TE LAY DG

Would be nice to have a database rather than a forum thread on this!

Last edited:
the quick red fox jumped over the lazy brown dogs
KBT Pure Limited Edition on USB

Strangely it doesn't capitalize the letters even though capslock is on and held down along with both shift keys.

Unicomp Ultra Classic USB:

Two Shift:
TE UIC RWN JUS VER TE LAY DG

Two Shift + Caps Lock:
ic rwn js vr lay dg

Either way, the buckling springs are still the most delicious switch designs to type on ever NKRO or not, and I've never had a problem in games.

Yeah, you should really just test your keys that you commonly depress simultaneously for your games...
For example, I play ESDF in FPS games...

To understand what this all means, you have to first understand the behavior of the keypresses of someone playing a game. Below is my example for FPS games.

First to understand is you can not go both forward AND backwards at the same time. Likewise, you can not go both right AND left at the same time.
So E and D would never be depressed simultaneously, and S and F would never be depressed simultaneously.
That means that for 'movement' you are only ever pressing two keys at once, with a few special exceptions:
Running(Frequently shift), crouching(frequently ctrl, but I move it to z), jumping(spacebar for like 99% of us).
We also have to remember that often we'll be pressing forward, left or right, the run key, AND spacebar(four keys) which is probably the most complex combination encountered. Or for games like TF2, forward, left or right, jump, and crouch(for that extra high jump).

So that means you have to check the following combinations:
Press E or D with S or F(so like E + S or F, or D + S or F), along with Shift and Spacebar(together), Z or ctrl, and Spacebar.

If you can do those, you probably won't run into keyblocking issues while playing your FPS games.

HE QUIK BROWN FO JUPS RIGH OER HE LA DOG

ThinkPad T61 keyboard with hardware ID's:
ACPI\PNP0303
*PNP0303

Aqua Key Test : best free tool for testing key roll-over and key combinations I've run into. It beats the hell out of typing this silly phrase for accuracy at least, lol.

Back