The Great Keyboard N-Key Rollover (NKRO) Test/Round-up

I don't get the whole point of this thread. :confused: Someone please explain.

If your keyboard can't register all the letters, you need to upgrade to a PS/2 or NKRO capable keyboard.
Look at all the keyboards that passed the test and those are the boards that you need to consider buying.

Logitech Illuminated Keyboard

QUICK BRO FOX JUS RIG OVR LAZ DOG

Yikes...

If your keyboard can't register all the letters, you need to upgrade to a PS/2 or NKRO capable keyboard.

A PS/2 interface alone is not a guarantee you'll get a better keyboard.

USB is limited to 6-key rollover while PS/2 can support true NKRO. The interface won't matter if the keyboard doesn't support NKRO in the first place. Most keyboards don't - regardless of whether they're USB or PS/2.

tired on my old logitech g11 it works perfectly, kinda stupid since my new g15v2 cant even get spaces

THE QUICK BROWN FO JUMPS RIGHT OVER THE LAZY DOG

On a microsoft comfort curve 2000. Only thing it missed was the "X." A lot better than I expected from this cheap usb keyboard...

he quik brown fo jups righ oer he la dog
HP kb-0316 (at work)

Well, I held down both shift keys, the CAPSLOCK, the control key and then pressed (and held) each key. (LOTSA chopsticks). Results:

the quickbrownfxjmpdvlzyg!@#$%^&*()_+{}:"|<>?~

Cherry MX-8100. Imma think true NKRO.

My work keyboard won't type a damn thing with the scroll lock on, caps and both shifts depressed...ouch.

THE QUICK BROWN FO JUMPS RIGHT OVER THE LAZY DOG (Shift x2)
the quick brown fo jumps right over the lazy dog (Shift x2 + Capslock)
the quick brown fo jumps right over the lazy dog (Shift x2 + Capslock + Scroll lock on)

Microsoft Natural Wireless Ergonomic 7000

I triple checked the x key. Strange.

2vjueyb.jpg

Pro tip, you're all doing it wrong.

Psuedo test.

Use: http://rollover.geekhack.org/

Last edited:
the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog
the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog

FILCO brown switches :)

Both shifts:
THE QUICK BROWN FOX JUMPS OVER THE LAZY DOG

Both shifts and Capslock:
THE QUICK BROWN FOX JUMPS OVER THE LAZY DOG

Filco Majestouch 104 NKRO w/ Cherry Browns on PS/2 connection

Stop buying bad keyboards people ; ) the mechanical keyboard thread is just below.
If you had of bought one 6 years ago you'd still be typing on it now; good as new. Within the same timeframe you could easily go through 4~6 rubber membrane boards if you were serious about using a computer.
Save money in the longterm by investing in a superior product and not suffer the inadequacies of a technology that was made inferior on puprose to cut down on manufacturing costs.

I find it amusing that some people here have no problem shelling out four figure sums for Crossfire/SLI or Eyefinity displays yet they can't pay a small premium for a real keyboard, get with it!

A lot of it boils down to price.. people would rather spend money on other important parts than a keyboard where they notice a bigger difference.

Also a lot of people like the regular keyboards and can't tell or appreciate the difference. Some mechanical keyboards also come with noise and the lack of multimedia controls.

HE QUIK BROWN FO JUPS OER HE LA DOG

The first-gen backlit Saitek keyboard, w/o the key cutouts or anything. Nothing with capslock held :|

A lot of it boils down to price.. people would rather spend money on other important parts than a keyboard where they notice a bigger difference.

Also a lot of people like the regular keyboards and can't tell or appreciate the difference. Some mechanical keyboards also come with noise and the lack of multimedia controls.

Well as I said you end up losing money in the longrun because rubber membrane keyboards are not durable and need to be replaced often.
As for the rest of your post, I refuse to believe that there's anyone who can't appreciate the difference between mechanical and not, it's night/day.
Also only the 'clicky' type mechanical switches have that noise you speak about since they're designed that way.

I never understood this mentality. Ok, yeah use as much money as you get getting a CPU and video card, then turn around and buy a $10 mouse and keyboard and a $120 monitor. Then they use on board sound!

All the parts of the computer that complete the human experience:

Touch: keyboard and mouse
Visual: monitor
Sound: sound card

Are the things that people skimp on the most.

Screw that.

onboard sound isn't all terrible anymore, no complaints with onboard s/pdif here :D

the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dogs

Topre Realforce 87U with Scroll Lock on, and both shifts + caps lock held down

THE QUICK BROWN FOX JUMPS RIGHT OVER THE LAZY DOG

Das Keyboard Professional (Cherry MX Blue switches)

CAPS+LEFT SHIFT+RIGHT SHIFT

Logitech Ultra Flat
(this keyboard is quite decent for the very cheap price)

shift + shift : HE QUIC BROWN OX UMP OVER HE Z OG
caps lock + shift + shift : he quic brown ox ump over he z og

Microsoft Wireless Multimedia Keyboard 1.1

shift + shift : TE UIC RWN JUS VER TE LAY DG
shift + shift + capslock: te uic rwn jus ver te lay dg

Wow, that's horrid. Yet it's a pleasant enough keyboard to use.

the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog

(both shifts + capslock)

filco majestouch with cherry black switches.

(i think i should've gotten the blue or the brown switches after using this for a couple days. it's still nice but the linearity of it feels a little weird, although it is nice for fps, it's not the best for typing and i'm sure the other ones would fare just as well for fps as well, but i got strong fingers so i'm always slamming the keys anyway.... if you are weaker fingers it could definitely affect you more...)

Saitek Eclipse

Both shift keys: HE QUIK BROWN FO JUPS RIGH OER HE LA DOG

Shift keys + CAPS: (nothing)

On the MS website mentioned earlier ( http://www.microsoft.com/appliedsciences/AntiGhostingExplained.mspx ) I could get at most 6 keys registering and I found a combination that registers none (up arrow, left arrow, right arrow).

Would be pretty cool if OP was updated with keyboards that scored perfectly.

he quic brown ox ump righ over he z og

GearHead 5100W.. shitty wireless mouse / keyboard, im upgrading soon

Ive been in the market for a new board lately and have been looking to resolve this issue for some time now. My keyboard wont register any presses with Lshift+Rshift+CAPS (dosnt even register the caps)

Board: AT&T RT101 (From ~1995)

HE QUIK BROWN FO JUPS OER HE LA DOG (Typing A-Z, its easier to compare i think)
ABDEFGHIJKLNOPQRSUW
CMTVXYZ keys fail the double shift test. Many important keys fail when holding up+left arrow keys.

the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog
Shift+Shift and CAPS on.

That's with a Logitech G19, guessing that's a good thing, lol.

HE QUIK BROWN FO JUPS RIGH OER HE LA DOG

did it twice for verification - on a laptop-esque dell keyboard i use at work

Same here, with a Dell Multimedia Keyboard:

he quik brown fo jups righ oer he la dog

Back