The Fallout New Vegas Thread * will contain spoilers *

Playing in hardcore mode and I highly recommend it. There are plenty of vendors selling water, prickly pear fruits to harvest for water, animals to kill and grill for food, places to sleep etc., but it really makes this feel more in depth as an rpg. Also, Caravan rocks for making lots of caps once you figure it out -- really helping me stay alive as I need to buy up all the stims/ammo/water/doctor's bags I find.

Give hardcore a shot -- I think some of you might like it.

What is "Caravan"?

It's a pretty intimidating card game for someone who'd rather just go out and shoot things. Still I kinda want to learn it.

I played it and finally figured out some of the moves but still not 100% on it even though I managed to win a game.

I have had 0 issues regarding CTD, freezing, etc. A little bit of stuttering but I am only running a 9800GT :p So far this runs far better the F3 did. Maybe just a placebo effect for me?

Got my first CTD earlier and my save failed to load twice. The screen would start flickering and freeze on the load screen while you can hear the in-game sound, but third time's a charm! I was actually surprised at how long it took before it crashed since FO3 wasn't exactly known for it's stellar performance. I'm finding it a bit hard to go back and play this game.

If you're getting the weird "micro-stutter" effect (IE not low fps but quick stutters when you move around/look around) you fix it the same way you did for Fallout 3.

IFPSCLAMP=60 instead of =0 in your falloutprefs.ini (my documents>my games>falloutNV).

Stopped the stutter for me.

I do have a weird bug happenign with my game though. Like when I'm in first person, with my gun out, it'll just randomly start to disappear from my view then "fall" downward from teh top of the screen, as though my character was doing jump rope or something...

Anyone have any tips on taking down Nightkins?

Currently doing the quest to get rid of the Nightkins in REPCONNs basement. They are almost always using Stealth Boys and I dont seem to have anything that is effective at taking them down. Any tips? I tried Stealth Boy' and Sneak t get around but I keep getting spotted. Driving me crazy, I ended up leaving to explore some more.

If you're getting the weird "micro-stutter" effect (IE not low fps but quick stutters when you move around/look around) you fix it the same way you did for Fallout 3.

IFPSCLAMP=60 instead of =0 in your falloutprefs.ini (my documents>my games>falloutNV).

I do have a weird bug happenign with my game though. Like when I'm in first person, with my gun out, it'll just randomly start to disappear from my view then "fall" downward from teh top of the screen, as though my character was doing jump rope or something...

Yeah but without fpslimiter which dosen't work in NV for some odd reason that can cause slowdowns and "lipsyncing" from the NPCs.

NV is currently updating, wonder what they fixed. I have played for 6 straight hours without a crash.

Just finish downloading the update. Would love a change log as well if anyone has it.

*** SPOILER QUESTION ***

Where the heck is the viewing platform for the last part of Come Fly With Me? I've been running around for an hour and still can't find it.

Just finish downloading the update. Would love a change log as well if anyone has it.

This is what Steam has:

Contents of Update:
This update fixes quest and scripting issues

Very detailed! :rolleyes:

edit: Also, it's about 250mb

This is what Steam has:

Contents of Update:
This update fixes quest and scripting issues

Very detailed! :rolleyes:

edit: Also, it's about 250mb

It's a start. Not bad considering the game has only been out 24 hours or so.

I only had stuttering issue at the beginning, in the tutorial. So I loaded an old save, and the stuttering seems to be gone.

The game may have been out for 24 hours, but the engine is old, and CTDs are unacceptable, as are corrupted save files.

Yup, my quick saves from last night aren't there... they're just... missing. Great. All that early questing for nothing.

And yes all my drivers are up to date.

I tried this and now it seems I can't get rid of it. It got uploaded to the steam cloud and now my gamespeed is dependant on my fps... very annoying...

Well fuck, I just lost 5 hours worth of gameplay after that last update. My old saves are not showing, only the ones from late last night.

If I see the message, "Fallout New Vegas has stopped working", one more time, I think I'll probably pick up my monitor and hurtle it out the window. This is getting to be super tiring.

There is some massive 200+ MB patch my steam is downloading - pissing me off cause I cant play ><

Been playing the game for a couple of hours now.

No problems at all so far, actually. No crashes, graphical anomalies, although I have to admit that moving around isn't as fluid as I would like. Even though I'm playing at 1920x1080 and everything cranked it still seemed much smoother in Fallout3 using similar settings. FRAPs tells me that the FPS hangs in the high 40's and low 50's depending on the action. I'm picking up a HD6xxx card soon, so maybe the game needs just a little more GPU juice.

I picked Hardcore mode, and just dumped my points into Intelligence and a bit of Perception, skills I selected Guns, Repair and Lockpicking... since whatever you can't hack with Science you can probably Lockpick, at least in my Fallout3 experience.

I'm barely even out of the beginning town, still working my way through the starter missions, but so far I'm enjoying it. The iron sights are a really nice touch. Work has been a drag all week and I'm looking forward to really sinking my teeth into this over the weekend.

Btw, to follow up on an earlier post in this thread, the morse code numbers on the platnium coin that ships with the CE, they read out as dates for when the bombs fell (23/2077) and when the game starts (11/2281) which I thought was neat attention to detail.

It's a start. Not bad considering the game has only been out 24 hours or so.

Oh definitely. I'm glad they patched it. I'm just not too impressed with their documentation of the update. :eek:

Bummer to hear about all the bugs people are experiencing so far. Someone mentioned the micro stutter issue that was present in FO3 is still present in NV and that FPSlimiter does not work with NV. It's a damn shame really. The micro stutter has been an issue with the gamebryo engine since Oblivion!

Someone mentioned changing iFPSclamp to 60. Only problem with that is the game goes out of sync.

Will be interesting to see if the new patch helps with any of this.

EDIT:

Yeah but without fpslimiter which dosen't work in NV for some odd reason that can cause slowdowns and "lipsyncing" from the NPCs.

My experience with FO3 was if your FPS dips below the value you specify for iFPSClamp and FPSLimiter, the game will experience slowdowns. So, if you have the game set at iFPSClamp=60 with the same value in FPSLimiter, the game will experience slowdowns every time the FPS drops below 60.

The only workable solution I found was to set the game to iFPSClamp=30. Sure the games FPS is locked to 30, but at least there is no stutter. If you attempt to set the game to other unusual FPS limits such as 35, 40, 50 etc, you will most likely experience strange bugs and other anomalies such as clipping through the floor, sound bugs, animation bugs, crashing etc.

Last edited:
If you have Fermi, and you are seeing poor performance / low GPU utilization, use the following fix:

Download: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6LHPT9ZC

Instructions:
1. Download the d3d9.dll file
2. place it in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\fallout new vegas
3. If steam is currently running be sure to exit before attempting to start FNV or else it will just fail to detect your video card and crash on startup repeatedly

This fix originally posted here:

http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t183416.html

Made the game playable and smooth for me on my stock GTX 460! I'm able to play 1280x960 high settings with 4xAA and 15xAF, plus transparency AA. GPU utilization went from 20% to 50%.

This does not fix the weird flashing artifacts, however.

I'd like to personally thank all of you beta testers for shaking this out for me. ;)

This does not fix the weird flashing artifacts, however.

I've seen those as well in my game. It looks like some old 60's Star Trek special effect. They're intermittent and they don't really get in the way of anything but they are there for sure.

GTX 480 latest drivers. Thanks for the thread link. :)

Boo-hoo is right - now I am getting those stupid white flashes everyone else was complaining about but I did not have before that patch. The one thing I do not like about steam is you cannot manage the patching. Even if I redownload it will be the newest version they send me when the previous was working fine.

You can tell games not to auto update ins team, right click the game and select properties, then go to the updates tab and set the drop down to "Do not automatically update this game"

You can tell games not to auto update ins team, right click the game and select properties, then go to the updates tab and set the drop down to "Do not automatically update this game"

Should folks go ahead and disable the whole cloud feature, too?

okay guys so far I've found 3 companions.

*spoiler alert*

1st is ED-E @ Mojave Express building, Primm [you need to fix him up, but John Nash will give him to you if you do]
2nd is Boone @ the dinosaur building, Novac [you need to finish the mission he gives you first, its quite easy]
3rd is Veronica/Monica [can't remember her name] but all you need to do is talk to her, shes found in Trade Post 118.

Last edited:
okay guys so far I've found 3 companions.

*spoiler alert*

1st is ED-E @ Mojave Express building, Primm [you need to fix him up, but John Nash will give him to you if you do]

I have this one. I like him. He also has a plot of his own that shows up eventually. ;)

Boo-hoo is right - now I am getting those stupid white flashes everyone else was complaining about but I did not have before that patch. The one thing I do not like about steam is you cannot manage the patching. Even if I redownload it will be the newest version they send me when the previous was working fine.

I did the download and it works fine for me. Perhaps its your video card, I have a ATI 4870 with 10.9 drivers, and it works fine.

Back